As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You've been down too long in the Sunless Sea

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It just occurred to me that the following has some spoilers to the early game and mechanics.
    so, I found Mt Palmerston, then my captain died. new life, inherit the charts, get the smuggler guy after a quick delivery to venderbight; as added bonus, luck out on getting the venturer quest to bring him Zzoup.

quickly realize that the smuggler's quest procs on time out of port, not distance, spend time idling with the lights off, bell chimes, back into port.

take the souls, cut through highly dangerous waters and nearly get killed, but make it to Palmerston. deliver souls, notice a rummaging in ruins quest that costs two supplies. turns out, it has a chance to either garner 2 Zzoups or not. about 160 echoes later, I'm sailing back with the requested Zzoups, at a huge discount (they're bought for 70 echoes a piece, normally). back in london, 1000 echoes are mine in exchange of that buried food. delicious.

the smuggler gives me 1200 too, 200 as payment, the rest as payment for good from across the sea.

on one hand, I could do that quest. on the other hand, I could also retire to my elegant home and ironclad will. leave shit to the next sucker.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Oh god

Deep sea life in this game

Nightmare fuel

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    oh shit, that's DLC?

that is fucking perfect

the kickstarter also proposed a second expansion with zeppelins

I'm hoping the game sold well enough, and the studio is still interested in it, for that to happen

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Got this, really enjoying it so far. Seems like my money has been gradually drying up since I bowed out of the smuggling agreement, but I have managed to secure a house, a scion and a will, so feeling pretty successful.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    so, feature complete

but not story complete?

If Fallen London is any indication, it'll never be story "complete" - it's an ever-growing collection of vignettes, with the only overarching narrative being the one you write in your own head

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think this is what I might start using to try to take a break from Darkest Dungeon

Echo Bazaar was a good time, for a while, so I'm assuming this will fit right into my wheelhouse

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So far I'm not finding the game that difficult, and that's fine with me. I lost one captain to not understanding how the mechanics worked (I was hitting full power over and over), but my second has been fine for hours now.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    so, feature complete

but not story complete?

If Fallen London is any indication, it'll never be story "complete" - it's an ever-growing collection of vignettes, with the only overarching narrative being the one you write in your own head

good point

I guess I was treating Sunless Sea like, well, most games I guess?

this makes me happy

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Lose your mind
    Offer your thoughts at the altar.
    Do not do this.

ladi.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    oh what could go wrong

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I just got feedback that these 175 stat requirements you rarely see are completely intentional, and I have come across more than a few stories with an unlock date. I also know about twice as much as the whole wiki and haven't even played half the islands to completion.

This game is going to be very different over the coming year

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I just finished the Presbyterate Adventuress' story

spoiler: :(

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MEANWHILE, ON TUMBLR

tumblr_njjmqxwa6v1qkoup9o4_250.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I just finished the Presbyterate Adventuress' story

spoiler: :(

I feel similarly re: the navigator with the sigil.

Less depressing are The Haunted Doctor and the Cannoneer. The latter nets you a pretty decent weapon.

• Options
    I exchanged the weapon in order to further the Tireless Mechanic's story

I have no idea what I'm getting in the end but by golly it sure seems like it'll be fantastic

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Ooh, reached a crossroads with the Sphinxstone quest. Was only doing it as a means of decent income, now it seems like it may be connected to the Maybe's daughter questline I advanced a little earlier. Gonna go with the first deal despite that seeming more sinister, wouldn't want to renege on her.

ladi.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Has anybody made any progress on the main story ambitions? I'm doing the search for your father's bones, and got up to asking the Fathomking for help. Let's just say the Fathomking is a dick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My goal was to retire rich, and I am making sterling progress. I have the big merchant ship, and am making really good money. I like the fact that stealth is a completely viable option in this game. Soon I'll have enough resources to just load up and explore whatever parts of the map I haven't seen yet.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I feel like being able to ever retire rich instead of dying at a young age and totally mad is actually a point against the game

• Options
    Huh. Note to self: it is very possible to completely destroy a city.

Whoops!

• Options
    I feel like being able to ever retire rich instead of dying at a young age and totally mad is actually a point against the game

I prefer it. I feel like this game has something over influences like FTL and Don't Starve in that it never forces me to stop having fun. In FTL, I get my ship how I like it and then the game is over. In Don't Starve, there's never any real objectives and sooner or later the game will pull some horseshit and kill you in a way you couldn't reasonably avoid.

In Sunless Sea, I always feel like the sea is dangerous and I need to be prepared but I have never, ever been killed for a bullshit reason. I've come super close to death on occasions where I was ill-prepared or over confident, but not just "ok you've been playing too long now BOOM start again".

I also really like the heirloom system that allows me to invest in my forthcoming games. It means I can skip over the boring beginning stages if I want to, but I can take it or leave it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Whoops!

I'd like to guess how you destroyed it, but I'd hate to find out there's another way to completely destroy a city that I wouldn't then be able to accidentally do myself.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Whoops!

I'd like to guess how you destroyed it, but I'd hate to find out there's another way to completely destroy a city that I wouldn't then be able to accidentally do myself.

Thing is, I REALLY should've known better. I'm just not used to... Games having consequences, I guess?

It started with a story over dinner, and ended with a burnt husk of a once-beautiful city. Ain't that always the way?

• Options
    Smuggling these brilliant souls has long since ceased to be profitable, but I'm keeping at it in the hopes that it'll open up something new, could someone clue me in to whether this actually happens? :P

ladi.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Whoops!

Thing is, I REALLY should've known better. I'm just not used to... Games having consequences, I guess?

It started with a story over dinner, and ended with a burnt husk of a once-beautiful city. Ain't that always the way?

Yeah, I'm so used to games making it so clear when a big important event is gonna happen, that it's a bit shocking how quickly and unexpectedly it can happen here. Like my terror got pretty high, but I wasn't too worried about cause I had plenty of crew and supplies to make it to the next port, but then one of my officers just straight up killed themselves. Just shows up on deck in their Sunday best, calmly announces to the crew that we can't outrun the dreams, and falls overboard. And now they're gone forever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I finished my game and retired filthy rich. It was great fun. I feel like I saw most of the content I needed to in that long run, so I uninstalled. Still though, this was a great game and I'm sure I'll come back to it again.

My only real gripes are that the combat doesn't seem very rewarding and there isn't much of a ship progression. I bought a frigate and dicked around shooting things for a while, but it seems like the return on investment for that is pretty low in either fun or loot. It's a shame, because it means Iron is kind of a dump stat. With the ships, it seems like the original ship and the merchant cruiser are pretty much the best ones. The aforementioned Frigate wasn't noticeably faster than my cruiser and had a much lower cargo hold, and I'm not sure what benefits the dreadnought is supposed to provide.

There's a weird trend with games with ship/spaceship upgrades where the "better" ships become gradually more slow and unwieldy as you progress. I am not a fan of this. I'd like the really expensive ships to feel good and get me to my destination faster rather than being super ponderous.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think/hope they are going to change the loot and combat stuff quite a bit, the stuff you get from ship to ship combat is pretty nuts, I had a crappy pirate pinnance drop three crates of supplies and a bolt of cloth and sinking a dreadnought got me a box of coal.

Also I hesitate to mention it because it's pretty lame, but you can effortlessly cheese creature combat by
    just ramming straight into them and never letting them get any distance, they seem to require a bit of a run up before an attack so if you just get in their face they'll spend all their time trying to get away from you without doing any damage

Also the jillyfishes have placeholder loot still

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Y'all I really like this game.

I ran out of fuel literally meters from Fallen London, and took my own life instead of letting some scallywag tow me in.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Seems like I fucked up on the Isle of Cats, despite making the deliveries? There are a lot of words in this game, I must confess to skimming some. Hustling back and forth doing party member quests and trying to save up for the penultimate ship. Was hoping to get The Serpentine engine from the Magician, but alas, it seems I fucked that up too. Never mind though, because check out my newest officer!

cRddl4F.jpg?1

There needs to be a way to pair her up with your scion tbh.

ladi.png
  • Options
    That fucking kid

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    That fucking kid

About the kid:
    Did you ever succeed in getting your clothes back?
    Did you see her again?

• Options
    I definitely got back to the ship buck nekkid but I've only been back to the Empire like once so she hasn't turned up again as yet

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Man, man do I want something like the Iron Republic realized with cutting edge graphics, like a surreal unrelenting psychedelic nightmare, like a neon Hieronymous Bosch painting on the PS4

I remember the first time I docked at the Iron Republic.

Read the descriptions, noped out, died a horrible death, considered it a victory.

• Options
    You dock at the Iron Republic and you suddenly realise you dropped the brown acid and the the fundament of reality gives way beneath your feet

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I prefer it. I feel like this game has something over influences like FTL and Don't Starve in that it never forces me to stop having fun. In FTL, I get my ship how I like it and then the game is over. In Don't Starve, there's never any real objectives and sooner or later the game will pull some horseshit and kill you in a way you couldn't reasonably avoid.

In Sunless Sea, I always feel like the sea is dangerous and I need to be prepared but I have never, ever been killed for a bullshit reason. I've come super close to death on occasions where I was ill-prepared or over confident, but not just "ok you've been playing too long now BOOM start again".

I also really like the heirloom system that allows me to invest in my forthcoming games. It means I can skip over the boring beginning stages if I want to, but I can take it or leave it.

This is the review that i needed to hear. FTL made me want to punch out my monitor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Let's see, I was just getting annoyed with this because it seemed too hard to get resources when I decided to bravely/stupidly set out a little further than before, ended up finding a couple of new places and enough bits and pieces to earn about 500 echo. Buoyed by this success I loaded up on fuel and supplies, and a new gun, and set out to the South. I came across a ship with 500hp and a crew of 100, got stuck in a whirlpool and couldn't get away.

My second guy was able to repeat the earning success of the first, but then shortly after this I strayed too far to the North and was destroyed by..actually I don't even know what.

Ah well, third time's the charm. Is a thing people say. Isn't it?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Fuel is pretty cheap. There are certain places in three of the four corners of the world where you can refuel. Supplies are cheap in one place only,, but you can keep a modest stock by stopping by many islands and getting good engines, the best of which are paired with fairly interesting quests (though I wouldn't wait for them if you have the money for a Caminus Yards). There are also some places on the sea that sell supplies for cheaper than London.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Upgraded to the penultimate ship my first captain (of this run, restarted a couple of times) so I could do a quest that required 40 capacity, which led to an ending that was too good to not take. Squandered my inheritance immediately, then realised I'd done so and took early retirement. Grandkid's totally living up to the legacy though; Memento Mori in the forward weapon slot, Serpentine engine and Caminus Yards Suppressor means I'm just blazing my way across the zee.

ladi.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The writing in this game is so utterly charming that I fear I have been bewitched by it after a mere 20 minutes of play.

• Options
    If you dig on the writing in Sunless Sea you should really give Fallen London a look, it's a free to play browser game but isn't very obnoxious about it and the writing is every bit as good