As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Pinny Arcade Panel Announcement

2»

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the feedback about the South panel, which will certainly be taken into consideration.

I just also want you guys to understand, that I spend lots of time and efforts throughout the weekend to get the word out about my site - if you hear people talk about it, or use the prices on there as a guide (which I need to say, is much more reliable than eBay when trying to pin a numerical integer value on a pin), it might not be because of what they heard on the panel.

That being said, I will be mindful about the time allowed to talk about it - but I do not consider it more wrong than speaking of eBay. I also like to be able to sponsor the panel by giving prizes, and that costs money. I guess all I want in return, is that even though thepintrader might not be your thing, maybe it is someone else's thing, and I'd like that someone else not to be ostracized or judged for it.

Again, thank you for letting us know how you feel!

I understand that your primary purpose for hosting the Pin Panel is to promote your business.

My personal issue with that is I feel that a “Pin Trading 101” panel should be 100% focused on getting into the hobby, and the awesome community we have built around it. I think it gives new people curious about the hobby the wrong message by focusing on resale values and money, rather than the fun of collecting and trading.

Robert Khoo mentioned that he has no problem with people using panels to promote their businesses, as long as they pay for the panel. I really can’t see how this doesn’t fall into that category, especially when I see these:

o3vv4nakgi98.jpg

“I spend lots of time and efforts throughout the weekend to get the word out about my site…. I also like to be able to sponsor the panel by giving prizes, and that costs money. I guess all I want in return.”

You are not only not paying for the panel to use it to promote your business, you are actually being given free passes to the show for you and your business partner to advertise your business. And not only at the panel, but at the pin trading event as well via placing your business cards around the tables.

I’m not saying you don’t have a right to advertise your business. I just don’t like the way it’s being done.

And as a side note, I think it’s a crime that the with ¾ of the Pinny Pals Podcast staff in attendance at East, only 1 of them will be on the panel. The podcast has done so much for the community, I feel strongly they should be hosting any panel about the Pin Trading hobby.

/soapbox

• Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I really feel like it is out of line to say that your site is presenting the panel. On the official schedule page it is listed as "Pinny Arcade Pin Trading 101" that is how I'm guessing you submitted it. I'm sure if you submitted as "presented by the Pin Trader" it wouldn't have been approved.

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    If it were pitched as or is referenced as presented by a specific company, yes, it would be considered a sponsored panel and would go through the hoops of a sponsored panel. That said, if you would like to skirt that, keep it informative rather than pitchy/marketing for your product/service or have other competitors involved in your panel. Then it's free!

Some guy.
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    I felt like it was a good 101 intro to pin trading covering lots of aspects of the hobby. Knowing what resources are out there, including thepintrader.com is certainly one of those aspects that is important to be aware of. But there were 4 people on that panel, and they all talked about different things. I suspect this one will cover various aspects of the hobby as well. I look forward to watching it.

Certainly others can submit panels of their own with content they would rather see. But props to Shadowscars22 for taking the plunge and organizing the first when others thought it was too early.
    All of this ^

• Options
    Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Hypothetically - would a small section (5 minutes or so) on display solutions for pins be of interest? I'm working on a few easy to do ideas, and could present one of them there. With pictures and everything.

I know most of you guys have their solutions already, but new folks to the hobby might not.

Shadowscars22 on
    Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • Options
    CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    The pin display thread is probably my favorite thread here, so I am always interested in hearing more about display solutions.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • Options
    Hypothetically - would a small section (5 minutes or so) on display solutions for pins be of interest? I'm working on a few easy to do ideas, and could present one of them there. With pictures and everything.

I know most of you guys have their solutions already, but new folks to the hobby might not.

It's my favorite post PAX activity.

• Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    yep.

Manic2k on
    Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options

Displays are something I enjoy doing quite a bit with my pins, if you want pictures of all the stuff I've done, I can send them to you.

• Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I would like that! I don't tend to display my Pinny pins except for having them hang on a lanyard, but I'm amassing Disney pins slowly and I need to put them somewhere that isn't a lanyard pinned to the top of my bookcase and tied to another two lanyards. I'm not creative.

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to send pictures of their displays and/or a description of their method we would love to use them in the panel.

• Options
  • Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular

Hella yeah! I'd like to learn how other ppl actually make some of the more elaborate displays, I've seen on the display thread. Might be good to show a few easy, intermediate, and advance displays examples. I have my collection in a box and hope to move them out to display at some point.

• Options
    sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    has anyone considered a Pinny Panel for PAX Aus?

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    sennohki wrote: »

@Duckie , @grgemonkey , and.... @fishfishmonkeyhat ?

I'm too busy with Cookie Brigade / Enforcing / Playing Dress ups / Getting pins

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I have no clue if I'll finish (or start) my display before East, but if I do I'll definitely post pictures and whatnot on the forums. I got a mat cutter for my birthday (http://www.dickblick.com/products/logan-350-1-compact-elite-mat-cutter/), so my previously unframed art takes precedent.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    I don't really get in to the organising business, better people than me exist for that, I like to just provide services for the organisers but definitely always happy to be on a panel if invited :)
    or use the prices on there as a guide (which I need to say, is much more reliable than eBay when trying to pin a numerical integer value on a pin), it might not be because of what they heard on the panel.

I don't want to harp on about it or keep dredging this up but I think it's worth noting for newcomers this isn't necessarily the case.

It may be true vs *listed* eBay auctions but this is really not the appropriate number to judge on. Vs *sold* eBay auctions, The Pin Trader comes with inflation, I know because I've had people attempt to use it in trade value and I only need to spend 30seconds on eBay to quickly dash those trading dreams.

A history of tracked sold eBay auctions is actually the most reliable value, as it is not bias to one seller, shows fluctuations over time and current demand. You probably have this spreadsheet yourself and apply the appropriate tax for a retail store.

Note: I'm not saying that's wrong, retail is retail, it's the price of business. But again, in my experience it really is rarely a reliable number for trading.

As a brief example, if I was to buy Chandra2 and Sarkhan from you, I'm down $140USD, yet 30seconds on eBay and I get the pair right now for $60AUD. I really don't believe you can call that $140 a reliable numerical value for trading. The eBay auction may not be there tomorrow and so maybe your pins are the only choice but that's the value of *convenience*, not the value of the pins.

Anyway that's the last I'll say on the matter and is the reason I would be firmly against suggesting such things in a panel.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

grgemonkey wrote: »
    I don't really get in to the organising business, better people than me exist for that, I like to just provide services for the organisers but definitely always happy to be on a panel if invited :)

Pretty much what grgemonkey said, I'm not organised enough to make a panel (Pedro can attest to this :P ) but I'd happily be part of it if asked ^^

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Good god no. But I will sit at the front and shout-out puns.

Also where do I send pics of my old pin display to?

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I think the easiest would be to throw them up online on one of the picture hosting sites and sending the link in a message, unless one of the other panelists want them emailed directly! In related news, I am very excited to see everyone's displays.

• Options
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So did someone record this?

Do I need to do some more editing? PLEASE LET ME DO MORE EDITING!

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Duckie wrote: »

grgemonkey wrote: »

Pretty much what grgemonkey said, I'm not organised enough to make a panel (Pedro can attest to this :P ) but I'd happily be part of it if asked ^^

This is true. It's a good day when she remembers to wear pants.

• Options
    It's also a good day when she doesn't re[No -The Management]

• Options

You raise an interesting question @fishfishmonkeyhat.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

You raise an interesting question @fishfishmonkeyhat.

Ask the panellists, they would have needed to bring equipment and talk to the sound guy. Regular people can't ask for favours like that, because Reasons.

• Options
    As far as I know it was not recorded.

• Options
  • Options
    Did @pureval end up doing a presentation on pin displays?

OMG WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE FILM THIS GAWD!

• Options
    @Shadowscars22 showed the pictures of displays we had and talked about them briefly. I had gotten some bad info about getting the panel recorded.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I was also under the assumption it was getting recorded. But that's my bad.