As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Re: Adventure Time
    Was I the only person to see the crashed spaceship as looking like an owl?

An owl that travels through space as in a cosmic owl?

Nobody on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Firebird wrote: »
    Adventure Time
    Finn's Dad is back, doing what he's best at - being a dick and lying to Finn. I liked Finn's reaction at the end which was basically "Get the fuck outta here"

I guess that means they're either keeping Finn's real origin for later or want to leave it ambiguous. Either is fine by me!

Several thoughts;
    - Why does Finn keep having these visions? It gotten frequent that it's weird at this point
    - The origin does and explain a bit of Finn's now-conquered fear of the ocean quite a bit.

- AND WHY does my brain go immediately to sperm when is saw that comet!? I think the internet has ruined me...
    Sperm analogy was 100% intentional. There's no way it wasn't.

Totally. It goes into a crevasse.

Oh my god.
    LSP's preggers.

Penn Ward is adamant that she just frenched him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I just want to say again that the Phineas and Ferb Star Wars crossover is still freaking hilarious. They played it a bunch today because there was a new pivotal episode of Rebels and a new P&F episode.

The cantina scene still slays me every time, and the quick intersections with the rest of the actual star wars movie are pretty good to.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    this episode of teen titans go has robin singing the original teen titans theme song in the shower.

that's so great

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    call me crazy but that looks like it's based on a toy line.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Is that the same VA for Bats that did Arkham Origins? Sounds similar and I think he does a pretty good voice, despite not being Conroy.

Also
    http://youtu.be/_h6ab9nbByY

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    Is that the same VA for Bats that did Arkham Origins? Sounds similar and I think he does a pretty good voice, despite not being Conroy.

Yeah, it's Roger Craig Smith. And Dana Snyder as Penguin.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    That's RCS?

Dammit, now I'm just going to picture him as Chris Redfield the entire time...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I like how all these DC animated films use different character designs.

• Options
    This one is flat out a toy commercial though,

It sounds like an unused Brave and the bold plot so maybe itll be secretly good like that crime syndicate movie that was the jlu pilot

• Options
    I will admit, I'm interested to see it since apparently it has Tim, Dick, and Damian all in it (Red Robin, Nightwing, Robin).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh Golden Days of the DCAU, how I miss you.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    call me crazy but that looks like it's based on a toy line.

It is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »

have you seen the movies because boy are they good

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Were good. I think the DC Animated films have been lacking since they decided to focus only on New 52 stories. Assault on Arkham especially was just kind of gross, especially compared to a good "dark" Batman movie like Under the Red Hood.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah the movies haven't been good in a long while either.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Yeah the movies haven't been good in a long while either.

I'm hoping that DC's new editorial direction filters into the movies.

• Options
    Sneak peak for tomorrow's Adventure Time - Lemongrab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9XAXkFsiUzk

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Also... Ron Perlman is just legit scarey when he wants to be

There is only darkness for you speech
    Before there was time speech.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options

Were good. I think the DC Animated films have been lacking since they decided to focus only on New 52 stories. Assault on Arkham especially was just kind of gross, especially compared to a good "dark" Batman movie like Under the Red Hood.

eh I thought assault was a lot of fun (it even had a shout out to the Looney tunes show!)I've no problem with the new 52 and I've been a fan of the suicide squad for a long time.

throne of Atlantis wasn't particularly strong but they do a really good job with establishing Aquaman in a way that's interesting and gets him to be more than the guy who talks to fish.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I enjoyed Assault on Arkham. There was some questionable fanservicey bits with the female characters, but otherwise I thought it was pretty fun.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    God damn does Adventure Time get weird. What other kids show has characters say things like "embrace the ecstasy of my ego death"?

• Options
    God damn does Adventure Time get weird. What other kids show has characters say things like "embrace the ecstasy of my ego death"?
    Not much outside of Asia...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Regular Show was so damn good this week.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2015
    I thought Adventure Time this week was too obtuse for its own good, and Regular Show felt like it was trying too hard to recapture the charm of the original Format Wars episode. The latter had a lot of cute references and gags, but lacked any real cohesive theme or narrative throughline.

I really enjoyed Stephen Universe, though. I like how Stephen is basically a fully fledged Gem now, just casually saving the day and bagging crystals like it ain't no thang.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Adventure time made no sense and I really wasn't digging it. Also they keep showing Flame Princess and Cinnamon bun and fuck that shit AT staff. Nobody likes them as a couple.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Jesse Moynihan on the newest Adventure Time: Jesse Moynihan - Adv Time: The Mountain
    In my mind, the thing I really wanted to get away from, was the complete narrative handholding that embodies not only kids television, but almost all television: The ideology that demands we understand at all times what the character feels, what the conflict is, how exactly the audience should feel, and maybe the moral message. Even on shows I really dig like Game of Thrones, or True Detective, there’s very little ambiguity when it comes to how the audience is being manipulated to feel. Often times, in lesser TV shows, the writing acts as a rote, step by step instructional guide for how we should emotionally proceed as an audience. What’s funny is how well it works, despite its fake hackiness. Someone on screen yelling “I am mad at you! You killed my father! But I need your help!” or “I feel X because of Y, so you should Z” in the dumbest way possible can still have an impact on me. If I give in to the scenario, I guess part of me gives up an aspect of emotional control or something. It’s passive engagement with archetypes and familiar emotional cues. I’m willing to participate in passive engagement, but I greatly prefer the idea that entertainment may reflect the poetry and ambiguity of life.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I liked this weeks Adventure time, though I agree with King Riptor. Shoehoerned romance is shoehorned.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I like the Cinnamon Bun and Flame Princess relationship for all of the reasons you guys dislike it.

who cares if you like them as a couple? they're a couple and it's something that Finn has to deal with and so does the audience.

also wow man did my TV glitch or was the last frame of lemongrab uncomfortably long.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sorry to bring more bad news but it looks like Gary Owens has passed on

This one I don't feel as bad about though compared to my previous news. I remember watching an old Disney channel special on Dinosaurs back in the 80s where he turned into the Garyosaurus.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Jesse Moynihan on the newest Adventure Time: Jesse Moynihan - Adv Time: The Mountain
    In my mind, the thing I really wanted to get away from, was the complete narrative handholding that embodies not only kids television, but almost all television: The ideology that demands we understand at all times what the character feels, what the conflict is, how exactly the audience should feel, and maybe the moral message. Even on shows I really dig like Game of Thrones, or True Detective, there’s very little ambiguity when it comes to how the audience is being manipulated to feel. Often times, in lesser TV shows, the writing acts as a rote, step by step instructional guide for how we should emotionally proceed as an audience. What’s funny is how well it works, despite its fake hackiness. Someone on screen yelling “I am mad at you! You killed my father! But I need your help!” or “I feel X because of Y, so you should Z” in the dumbest way possible can still have an impact on me. If I give in to the scenario, I guess part of me gives up an aspect of emotional control or something. It’s passive engagement with archetypes and familiar emotional cues. I’m willing to participate in passive engagement, but I greatly prefer the idea that entertainment may reflect the poetry and ambiguity of life.

I understand the sentiment, but even in that context i don't feel it worked as an episode. The narrative doesn't need to hold your hand,but it also can't be a completely blank slate for which you have to do the entirety of the heavy lifting.

The best AT episodes pull this off and maintain some ambiguity. This was not one of the best episodes. Last week's, with little baby Lich King? That was great. It told a story, it's not clear exactly what's going on inside the kid's head, and there's the question of whether you should be happy that he messed with the bad guys, fear for his well being, take him as a bad guy, and so on.

Jesse's explanation seems a little too "it's not FOR you."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Finn and Lemongrab went into a mountain that eats people. Before it does, it sends them on a psychotropic ride to make them more accepting of being eaten.

Got it. next episode, plz. :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I like the Cinnamon Bun and Flame Princess relationship for all of the reasons you guys dislike it.

who cares if you like them as a couple? they're a couple and it's something that Finn has to deal with and so does the audience.

also wow man did my TV glitch or was the last frame of lemongrab uncomfortably long.

See, I like the idea on paper. Sometimes someone you like will choose someone else and you will never understand why they chose them over you. You just have to move on with you life and get over it. A good lesson overall.

Expect it falls apart, because everytime you see them they do nothing as a couple, and FP acts like she was randomly chose to babysit CB and just kinda begrudgely tolerates his presence. CB seems oblivious to the whole thing. They don't act like a couple, they don't support each other in anyway or do things together or anything really.

The problem to me lies in the execution, not the idea.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    FP acts like she was randomly chose to babysit CB and just kinda begrudgely tolerates his presence.

So you're saying they act exactly like a couple

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm confused where the idea that they are a couple came from.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, CB just became her bodyguard at the end of one ep, and sort've showed signs of liking her and wanting to protect her, but I haven't seen any sign that she reciprocates those feelings, or even that CB regards her as anything more than a worthy monarch.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I thought Cinnamon Bun was acting as basically a knight captain/bodyguard for the Flame Princess?

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I thought Cinnamon Bun was acting as basically a knight captain/bodyguard for the Flame Princess?

Right, but CB + FP is brought up everytime Finn's feelings for FP are at play. Though at least in this episode it could simply be "I'm so far away from FP I'd even rather be her bodyguard than myself!"

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Because Finn is a jealous dumb teenager. Just because he thinks FP and CB are a couple doesn't mean they are or that they are presented to the viewer as one.