As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oahu on Business, Have a Free Day to Consume

Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
As the title says, I'm going to be in Oahu on business [this coming week] and around this Friday and half of Saturday I'll have some free time to do whatever. Anyone have a short list for what to see outside of the general tourist-land of Waikiki? I can probably hit most of the stuff there in the late afternoons/evenings during the week, hence my interest in other parts of the island for my free day and a half.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ever wanted to learn surfing? Or would you have time to go to the active parts of the big island and check out the lava flows?

Those would be the two main things I'd want to do with a free day if I ever get to Hawaii.

Hopefully someone with actual local knowledge knows more for you. :)

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Do you have access to a car? If you do then any of the beaches along the North Shore are worth visiting, anywhere from Haleiwa and NE up the coast are fun. They have much better sand and wave action than what you'll see in Waikiki. In the middle of the island is a town called Wahiawa and while there really isn't much there it is home to one of the best chicken joints I've ever been to. It's called Maui Mike's and it's really worth the drive. Also up there is the Dole plantation, I never went when I lived there but supposedly the tour is neat.

If you hit the North Shore there are areas you can snorkel at although some of the beaches up there are better for it than others. Hanauma bay is on the SE corner of the island and is the big tourist snorkeling area. It has nice calm shallow water over reefs but it can often be packed with tourists.

If you like Ramen I would suggest hitting Goma Tei in Ward Center if you get a chance. The Szechuan pickle bowl is fantastic.

Carpy on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @Skeith maybe?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Like Japanese food? Go here. If you're an outdoorsy sort you should hike up Diamond Head, the views are quite nice. If you go to Hanauma Bay I would also recommend the Koko Head hike. Manoa Falls is also good, but it's been wet lately so you may get eaten alive by mosquitoes and possibly flash floods. North Shore is definitely going to have nicer beaches and water than Waikiki, but at this time of year you probably wouldn't be able to swim-- this time of year is high surf (predictions for 2/15 have the north shore pegged at 20-28 feet).

If you do get a car, keep in mind that traffic is a real pain in the dick. From 3-8PM you will have one hell of a time trying to get out of Honolulu during the week; think Los Angeles with only two lanes.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Unless it's changed Saturday morning has an amazing farmer's market at Kapiolani Community College. It's right across the street from Diamond Head too so you could hike that then get some awesome food.

Edit: I second Manoa Falls too and if you're used to hiking taking the Aihualama trail that branches off from there. It's only a short drive from downtown Waikiki so you don't have to use the highway at all and has a few good restaurants nearby too.

Quid on
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Diamond head is pretty cool and the cost is almost nothing. You can take public transit from Waikiki to the base and then hike up to the top for a great view.

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    Pearl Harbor is worth checking out.

• Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the tips all, unfortunately hiking was pushed out by rain on Friday but I still managed to see the sights and hit one of the Farmers' Markets.

edit: protip for where to buy consumable goods to bring back: Costco. They've got everything the tourist stores have, but in bulk at sane prices.

Emissary42 on
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    For clothing items, Ross in Waikiki was pretty good. They had all the stuff you'd see in tourist stands, but for 1/2 to 2/3 the price.