As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I think some of the enemies in Borderlands 2 would say it, like those Constructors, or maybe just the badass Constructors.

Oooooh possible.
    Hey that actually feel really familiar because now I'm getting side associations of krieg one liners.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Bigity and Elderlycrawfish kneel beneath the Skyranger, only a few feet apart, and take aim with their heavy cannons. Bigity trains his on the Floater, while Elderlycrawfish targets the Reaper that has inexplicably rushed our LZ only to turn around and moon Rainfall.

With perfect synchronicity, they squeeze their triggers.

zlMilYM.gif8Qh56et.gif

Two shots, two kills.

To the south, a fresh barrage of incendiary fire has revealed the pistoleer Floater again, plus a new target across the street.

hFFoZlS.png

Captain cB557 forms the bulk of the strike team into a firing line, and a massive rifle fusillade manages to completely miss every shot on both targets.

Almost forgotten in the backfield by the convenience store, see317 takes the risk of threading a shot through one of the small gaps in our line.

L8e7tx7.gif

It's not a kill, but it's a damn fine shot all the same.

The pistoleer Floater, however, is too close to be allowed to live. TeeMan's boots hit Cape Town's soil for the first time, and the Sergeant shows his squad how it's done.

Zd1ESSp.png

Deep inside the park, a plasma discharge answers our rifle fire, followed by a shriek of mortal agony.

MIIB59K.png

An ... alien shriek?

gMeHDNT.png

Fanda on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    what the shit, alien command?! You told us they were seals to be clubbed?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "No, no, I'm quite sure I said they 'were seals WITH clubs.'

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wereseals? Why didn't anybody say there'd be wereseals???

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Tandem explosions, WOO!!!!!!!

TEAM HEAVY WEAPONS GO!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

I thought he said 'a baby seal walks into a club...'

• Options
    Tandem explosions, WOO!!!!!!!

TEAM HEAVY WEAPONS GO!

/high-five and macho flexing.

I think someone put muscle butter on my high explosives.

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »

I thought he said 'a baby seal walks into a club...'

quite possibly the best drunk joke to be told. Everyone is waiting for the next line and you just shrug your shoulders and say "That's it. That's the joke."

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I love this mission. Rather than using some alien tech to do a "Men In Black" mindwipe on the townsfolk, you're basically just leveling Cape Town so that there are no witnesses.

Who needs aliens to terrorize our people? We have secretly funded black ops organizations to that for us.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The enemy now know the true meaning of terror - XCOM!!!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    As long as they are more afraid of XCOM than the aliens they won't betray earth.

Works!

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    3 days since last contact. This thread is pretty meta.

• Options
    I presume that we're all back in the Skyranger sharing "A Floater, a Sectoid and a XCOM rookie walk into a bar..." jokes while they tear each other apart around Cape Town. Operation MOP-UP will be in full swing shortly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I presume that we're all back in the Skyranger sharing "A Floater, a Sectoid and a XCOM rookie walk into a bar..." jokes

Up until the floater framed in the doorway says the punchline.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I presume that we're all back in the Skyranger sharing "A Floater, a Sectoid and a XCOM rookie walk into a bar..." jokes

• Options

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Three of them? Which one is the real Morninglord? Better let Doctor Vhalen dissect them all just to be safe.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    The one that just frame blocks the bandsaw and juggles the doctor into the ceiling is me.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    6WgR1hu.png What happened next, Captain?

OKkVfsB.png It was mostly mopping up after that. They did kill another civvie before the end, though.

2jXasWI.gif

OKkVfsB.png We tried to warn him off that damn corner, but he was half out of his mind with panic, and, well, there was the language barrier...

6WgR1hu.png Mmm. A tragic loss. What of the alien that shot him?

OKkVfsB.png I think it was the Floater see317 had wounded. The bastard exposed himself going for that civvie. That's a bad idea when an_alt's around. She's expert rated with a rifle, and I hear she's going out for her sharpshooter badge later this month.

QDJlTL9.png

6WgR1hu.png I understand there was another Floater nearby that presented you with a potential capture attempt?

OKkVfsB.png Oh no ma'am, he was well out of range across the road.

nwnTI8W.png

OKkVfsB.png Elvenshae softened the sucker up with a grenade, and we all laid down some rounds on him, myself included.

6WgR1hu.png Incidentally, Captain, the technicians report that our tank has suffered some superficial dents to its rear armor plating. According to my notes, you would have been in the perfect position to observe the tank while engaging that Floater. Did you notice any damage?

UBDJcF0.gif

OKkVfsB.png ... I'm sure I'd remember something like that, ma'am. Anyways, Heatwave finished the target off with her autocannon. That was the end of Floater resistance south of the road.

6WgR1hu.png It's the north that truly interests me, Captain.

OKkVfsB.png Ma'am ... if I may ask ... why are you the one debriefing me today, instead of Fanda?

6WgR1hu.png Don't worry, Captain. I'm sure the Commander will review the mission with you in due course.

OKkVfsB.png Actually doctor, Commander is our highest military rank, and Fanda heads up the civilian leadership. The rank's vacant right now, but if the promotion board sees fit, someday I -

6WgR1hu.png As fascinating as these distinctions are, Captain, they bring us no closer to understanding why you failed to capture the Floater Leader, despite being given an excellent opportunity to do so.

OKkVfsB.png Oh ... uh, right. The Leader. We think he was by the little house overlooking the park.

ycnReuZ.png

OKkVfsB.png It was a solid location for a command and control center. Good sight lines all around. If I were leading the alien force, that's where I'd have been.

6WgR1hu.png And how did you attempt to subdue the subject?

OKkVfsB.png see317 winged him with a rifle shot and Bigity blew him up with a grenade.

6WgR1hu.pngWhat.

OKkVfsB.png It was a great throw, ma'am. Bounced right off the Floater's head.

6WgR1hu.png How could you be so irresponsible as to order such an action!?

OKkVfsB.png I didn't, ma'am. The men were acting on their own initiative, as per our rules of engagement for terror sites: "Live captures are only to be attempted when the target can be approached from adequate cover or concealment."

6WgR1hu.png And these rules were written by ...

OKkVfsB.png ... Fanda, yes ma'am. It's a good thing Velmeran didn't go for the capture too. There was another Floater up there bodyguarding the Leader, and he had one of those heavy plasma cannons.

MHAa4pZ.png

6WgR1hu.png Dare I ask what you did with this other alien?

OKkVfsB.png Bigity blew that one to smithereens too.

6WgR1hu.png Of course he did. So many valuable lives extinguished ...

OKkVfsB.png We lost a lot of civvies, it's true. I felt terrible for that fellow who wanted to come home with us. We had to drag him kicking and crying back down the Skyranger ramp. It was a real "last helicopter out of Saigon" kind of scene.

pEpHwpi.gif

6WgR1hu.png At least we still have the Floater Engineer that was incapacitated by our rocket tank. Ironic, don't you think, that the automaton bristling with high explosive warheads has a better capture record than the rest of your team?

OKkVfsB.png Actually, see317 blew the Engineer's brains out.

i6QjExi.gif

6WgR1hu.png!!!

OKkVfsB.png The damn thing got back up a few minutes after the rocket blast, and he was blocking see's line of fire to the Leader.

6WgR1hu.png ... I see. And when is see317's court martial proceeding?

OKkVfsB.png Court martial? He's getting badged up to squaddie. They gave him the dagger patch as soon as we got home. It was a clean kill.

6WgR1hu.png But -

OKkVfsB.png Fanda wants the men to get more experience firing on live targets, so the rules of engagement clear us to engage any enemy that directly threatens our position, "even when incapacitated aliens may be jeopardized thereby."

6WgR1hu.png!!!

OKkVfsB.png Uh, doctor? I don't think your tablet is designed to bend like that ...

6WgR1hu.png You're dismissed, Captain.

OKkVfsB.png Yes ma'am. Say, you wouldn't happen to have any of that stun bomb powder left, would you? I hear it's a real trip, and I've never -

6WgR1hu.png Get. Out.

qT4q6nT.png

Fanda on
  • Options
    lPePWgH.png
    YWoikew.png
    SOjj3TR.png
    cGM7oxX.png
    AFmdxdi.png
    jTc8adA.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Big-O!
    Steve!
    Croooooooooooooow!
    Robert Stanton Pierre!
    MaimBot!

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    As is my tradition, I name him "Pooop"

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I always name him R-66Y.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Will "god shatter" fit?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Frank Exchange of Views.
    Yes, I did just scroll down wikipedia's list of culture ship names. Personally I'm not sure why we don't name everything using that method.

• Options
    Pain Bot.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Chappie

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Absence of Evidence

as in

*pauses in front of apparently quiet dwelling*

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence!"

*blows up building*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    If you got another tank you could call it Confirmation Bias. It fires the second shot.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Well.

We could always have another @Theidar AI platform.

That worked so well last time.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Frank Exchange of Views.
    Yes, I did just scroll down wikipedia's list of culture ship names. Personally I'm not sure why we don't name everything using that method.

The Wasp Factory is one of my favorite things. I should give his science fiction a try.

As for tank names, I'm partial to Sweetie Bot ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5bubWyRwoA

... but I fear that may be a little too derivative.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Collosson. We never know when we might need to find out if something is or is not Numberwang. Without Collosson, that could take weeks!

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I vote we call the robot "Greased Lightning", if only because I can imagine all the operatives doing a dance number between missions optimizing its loadout

El Skid on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Combaticus.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    this game reinforces my belief that the world didn't even need X-com to deal with the alien menace

they just insufficiently applied Dakka

had More Dakka been the prevailing strategy, along with any and all criticisms silenced by increasing the volume of the call for MORE DAKKA, the aliens would have been felled in a week

override367 on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    If you got another tank you could call it Confirmation Bias. It fires the second shot.

Man, that's a good name. Sounds like a Forerunner AI. I was trying to think of something cool to name the first one that followed the theme. I submit Existential Doubt as my first candidate, since it ties into the both the hopelessness of Fanda's task and also could play into an AI's fears. My second candidate is Terrifying Possibilities from the Arthor C. Clarke quote, "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." It references that one of those possibilities has come to pass and its task is to pursue the other.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Collosson. We never know when we might need to find out if something is or is not Numberwang. Without Collosson, that could take weeks!
    ES2fdqu.png
    E9A5SmI.png
    le2Wks1.png
    0P3sNat.png
    LihXZLN.png
    le2Wks1.png
    QQ4tLwO.png

• Options
    Collosson is Numberwang

steam_sig.png