As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Proposed Wiki and Trade Value Chart

callmegarcallmegar Registered User regular
Thought it'd be good to have a place where all the pinny related information could be organized and accessible, maybe some of the same information that is distributed across threads on this forum, also some factual and historical information about each individual pinny maybe. I created pinnypedia.org with a wiki on it, I can create users for members of this community to create/edit stuff on it. It is empty now, except for a chart that I've been thinking of, inspired by the NFL Draft Trade Value Chart, supposed to help take emotion out of a trade or at least give a reasonable base to start with, it has some obvious issues which I'm trying to find valid arguments to apply to. Check it out: http://www.pinnypedia.org

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg

• Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    Could be cool. For the ones that have come from specific comics, you could link to all of them for people to read.

• Options
    sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    personally, I find the idea of "value" of a pin offensive.

I think pin value should be kept at an emotional, intangible level, as a pin should be about how much you want it, not how much you were told it's worth.

• Options
    I agree, monetary value is not something I'm interested in, trade value, as in "how many pins and which ones seem reasonable for this trade", is the question that sometimes bugs me, and I know in our particular hobby wants will always override objective reasoning, but I want to try to understand how far I'm reaching for my want.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    Agreed on the comics, I discovered and enjoyed Broodhollow and Camp Weedonwantcha myself because of the pins.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I dont understand how it works.

• Options
    foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    this seams like a good idea i have some wiki exp if you need help with it

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Permission to post the pin pun page.

• Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Permission to post the pin pun page.

And here I was thinking "alliteration" was our safe word!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Good idea. Let me know if you need help

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    What kind of software development experience do you have @callmegar ? I ask because there is slow-moving but not exactly dead initiative @PedroAsani started sometime ago to unify the various community software projects on to some kind of shared platform.

A wiki of sorts -- where text about each pins background, circumstances, production count etc. can live -- seems like a missing piece in the community right now. The wiki format is likely a good fit here, as it spreads out the burden of upkeep onto a larger group instead of making one person responsible for typing up a novel for each of 200 different pins. If it could be integrated into some collective platform as mentioned above, we would have a pretty solid network of useful sites and apps. To make it work cleanly though, some hacking on the MediaWiki platform might be in order.

On the value chart thing, I think I can say without too much personal bias that any valuation system based on a priori criteria (like age or online vs pax) is unlikely to be more accurate than an observational system with a high sample size -- ie. http://www.pinmash.info That said, no one appointed me the grand high poobah of pin rankings -- and more resources made by more people can only be a good thing for the community.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    The greatest value of Pin mash is that it really helps with the literal subjective ranking of the pins.

What I think Callmegar's idea might add to the post is sort of a concept of 2 top 20 pins equals 1 top 10 pin, or 8 top 100 pins equals one top 10 pin or some such (Or alternatively, one Aus 13 Logo is worth 6 Kempers).

While it is and should be a highly subjective concept, and I'm not going to say I am a huge fan... with 200 pins out and averaging 100 new pins a year, the community at large (Casuals especially) may find some significant value here.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    The Trade Value Chart is problematic, because whilst there are some objective criteria, there are two main ones that are personal: Do I Need this Pin? Do I Like this Pin?

I would suggest that pinmash is the better metric for a community-based rating system, given that it will show the rarer Pins as more desirable and the more likable Pins will move up above those that are equally rare but less liked.

A wiki is best suited for collecting data about each Pin. We don't have much of a history on each one written anywhere, and the production numbers are going to be buried in the forum. I suggest ditching the TVC and focussing on getting an entry for each Pin.

• Options
    dmosinee wrote: »
    What kind of software development experience do you have @callmegar ? I ask because there is slow-moving but not exactly dead initiative @PedroAsani started sometime ago to unify the various community software projects on to some kind of shared platform.

What would be really useful is getting the mobile apps under production tied in to the pinnypals site, and getting pinmash on there as a side function.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    @PedroAsani, I agree with literally everything you've written.

Desirability is very subjective, and something like Pinmash would yield a better "organic" metric.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Aside from DLC, Leeroy, Aus 2013, Hanna and like 15 other pins, they're the only ones you really need to worry about... the other 190 pins are arguably all worth similar value (aside from Lookouts and a few others). Pinmash I feel covers this pretty well already.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    The trick with attaching actual prices to things is that it removes the concept of flexible trade value. Pins can, and should, be valued differently by different people. Heck, I talked about that on the panel for like five straight minutes.

@TheAggroCraig, I agree. DLC, Leeroy, Aus13, Hanna, Carl and a few others are the "above the field" pins.

• Options
    If you want to make it editable so we can do stuff such as:

Make a template for Pins.
    Make a template for Sets.
    Make a template for Events.

That would be cool.

• Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
  • Options
    PrunciblePruncible Registered User regular
    the other 190 pins are arguably all worth similar value (aside from Lookouts and a few others)

I think this is a good example of something where the enthusiasts of the community have a drastically different value for these things than a casual collector does. I realize for hardcore folks, they represent the best pin/dollar deal, and so people stocked up on them for fodder.

But now they're sold out and Lookouts are a really recognizable and popular franchise from PA. I realize Hanna is more limited, I don't think a casual observer is going to find Lookouts Troop Crest to be a dramatically less attractive pin than Hannah.

Heck, by the time I got into trading, all of the hardcore dudes had emptied out the Lookouts sets from the store, so at my next PAX, I'm going to be looking to trade for them, and I expect to be trading 1 for 1 like any other pin.

• Options
    @foehammer I can get you a user if you want one, and you are free to post
    @fishfishmonkeyhat same thing, you can get a user and post it or I can post it for you if you want
    @Ayefkay ditto.

Really I don't have any preconceived ideas or structure, I think a sort of chronologic or PAX based list of pins with a link to an individual per-pin page would work, But really, I'm providing the domain name and hosting for whatever ideas make sense (or even the ones than don't)

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    @dmosinee I'm fluent on several languages and technologies, I'm currently involved in javascript, node, golang and swift (iPhone) development. I'm also good at handling infrastructure and databases like mongo or mysql, I architect and create solutions for a living. I'd be willing to help if anything is decided or somebody leads it.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    @PedroAsani I'll take a stab on the templates, I'll take suggestions, mocks, wireframes, etc. or if somebody wants to do it, I can provide a user for him/her too.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    As @silrn mentions that is exactly what I had in mind, if I'm working a trade, is it fair value to offer 1 Coffee Kemper + 2 Moons for a KI Stick, or is it lacking, or am I reaching? like in the NFL draft where picks are just given to the teams, nobody questions the top 5-10 picks, and everybody is willing to sell the house on those, but it gets really murky on the middle rounds, is it OK to give a 2nd and a 3rd round to get 5 spots ahead to get this player I really like, or am I reaching too far and should be better staying put. Even when I absolutely love the Camp Cats Pin should I value it the same as a 2013 prime pin, given the fact that I can still buy the cat pin online? what was the run on those again? No real or perceived monetary value involved. Anyways, I can put the chart at the very end of the wiki, it's not the focus, just something to start the conversation. I believe I'm just an over-analytical person that likes to tinker with numbers and things and find patterns and trends into everything, and I just wanted to share my thoughts, I'll keep tinkering and over-analyzing the chart just because that's what I do as part of the hobby, and I think that with the number of pins growing, I'd need something like that just to keep my hardcore ways, maybe some of you are also over-analytical tinkerers and would like to pitch in or even take over.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    I think the only way you're going to get this done is if you do continue with this community driven wiki. This information is something I'm starving to add to pinnypals, so glad to see an initiative is being made :)

I'd change your registration to public though and let people freely add content, then have a crew of moderators (the position people apply for). The chances of malicious behaviour is tiny compared to making it as easy as possible for some one to add some content. The whole point of a wiki is every edit is stored anyway, so you can easily recover in to any prior history.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    Sounds good to me, I'll see what I have to do to make it public, and check how are the versions controlled. I'll keep driving it, I'm just slow.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    Wiki now allows for self-registration and all pages can be created/edited.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg