As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Added "Portal" to title, since it's a bit obscure to find otherwise.

Echo on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm betting Valve is going to release more maps (can you really just call 'em maps? They're really just big rooms or puzzles or puzzle rooms...) considering how its first release, they already give it a big "import" button. :P

(Also mirror for Still Alive since Cymoro cross-posted his too. :D)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've tried everything I can think of and I'm 100% stumped on level 18. Any hints?
    I already cleared out the room with the sentries, and activated the moving floor panel. When I realized that there was no (apparent) method of getting to the box high up at the end of the room, I thought maybe I'm supposed to use that robot that falls on the panel near the water. But that wasn't heavy enough to weigh down the button.

I went back to it a little later, and backtracked to see if there was something I missed, and I checked out that ghetto-esque room with all the boxes and I thought maybe one of those would be heavy enough. Given how slow they moved around I thought I had it, until I found that I couldn't get one into a portal becasue the only flooring I can push it onto is portal-proof.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay, I've got trouble (late game)
    There's a catwalk I have to reach. It's in the second room with "Over here" written on the wall, and crude drawings of turrets saying "Can I help you?" I think I need to launch from the inclined platform above the entrance, but when I do so I can't quite make it.

HtR-Laser on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I've tried everything I can think of and I'm 100% stumped on level 18. Any hints?
    I already cleared out the room with the sentries, and activated the moving floor panel. When I realized that there was no (apparent) method of getting to the box high up at the end of the room, I thought maybe I'm supposed to use that robot that falls on the panel near the water. But that wasn't heavy enough to weigh down the button.

I went back to it a little later, and backtracked to see if there was something I missed, and I checked out that ghetto-esque room with all the boxes and I thought maybe one of those would be heavy enough. Given how slow they moved around I thought I had it, until I found that I couldn't get one into a portal becasue the only flooring I can push it onto is portal-proof.
    Did you press the button below it

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
    edited October 2007
    Cymoro wrote: »

Yes, which takes me back to the door which requires a box in order to bypass. I can't get any further because I have no (obvious) means of getting a box, or an equivalent thereof, to the button.

Goatmon on

• CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes, which takes me back to the door which requires a box in order to bypass. I can't get any further because I have no (obvious) means of getting a box, or an equivalent thereof, to the button.
    Press the button, and just observe what happens.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
    edited October 2007

Hint 1:
    When you're at the button, you'll see a platform at water surface level, figure out what that's used for.

Hint 2:
    You'll also have to press the button to perform this feat.

Answer:
    Activate the button then do the falling through portals to speed across to the other side

I hope I'm thinking of the right level. I hated it, but don't remember which level it actually was. (But it's also genius.)

[edit]Yep, that's the level I thought it was. Took me ages to figure out.[/edit]

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited October 2007
    I'm pretty sure you don't, because that switch did nothing that I could see, other than opening the door in and out of the room. I'm 100% sure it does nothing else. Of course I could be wrong, but I took a portal back to the water-level platform after hitting the switch, and nothing was different.

Here's a screen to confirm the level.

PortalsScreen.jpg

And another screen, of the platform.
    PortalsScreen2.jpg

Goatmon on

• Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hit the button.

Throw a portal on the newly angled wall segment. Throw a portal on the wall next to you and hop in it to get back near that angled wall.

Drop a new entrance off the right side and jump into it. The momentum will throw you out the angled portal and over to the room with the box.

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
    edited October 2007
    What Viper said. I just did it again to confirm it.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That did take a while to work out, but then when I got it it was very "fuck yeah" indeed.

LaCabra on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kudos OP. Fucking KUDOs.

The tabs in Fire Fox look awesome btw

[ [Portal]Now you're thinking... ][...with portals.[NSF56K]

DrunkMc on
  • HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alright, I finished it. Great stuff. Really fantastic.

HtR-Laser on
  • Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Am I missing something with 15?
    The bit where you have to 'jump' over a glass wall, through a force field. There's a little enclave to the left where I can get a load of speed, but I can't fire a portal through to the big wall in the main chamber to take advantage of it.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man... okay, I'm feeling retarded

I'm stuck :/

Based on time, should be late game spoilers
    I just got past the eye thing that shoots rockets at you, and the next step appears to be a little ventilation shaft with one of the handwritten sign 'over here' next to it... seriously, I can't figure out how to get into the damn shaft. I can't jump into it, and I can't portal past it.

LockeCole on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

I just got past the eye thing that shoots rockets at you, and the next step appears to be a little ventilation shaft with one of the handwritten sign 'over here' next to it... seriously, I can't figure out how to get into the damn shaft. I can't jump into it, and I can't portal past it.

Hint:
    The answer lies in creative use of the portals. Try thinking outside the box for this one.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited October 2007
    LaCabra wrote: »
    That did take a while to work out, but then when I got it it was very "fuck yeah" indeed.

Yeah, thanks for the help guys, for all I got out of it. I went from "What the fuck do I do" to "Fuck you, Valve, for having me do this step."

I'm at the very next step, and I simply cannot get through it.
    The part where you have to get from the platform in front of you, to the one way above it, by jumping down to the left through a portal, so you have enough inertia to leap high enough. I've tried over and over and over and over, and I simply cannot angle the portal just right, that I can get enough forward inertia to get all the way to the next one after making the leap. It seems too much, because I cannot angle the portal exactly in the corner. It doesn't allow you to put a portal without there being some space around it, so I have to limit my run just enough to make it into the portal, and that seems to be enough of a limit that I can't get enough inertia to make it across to the next platform.

In other words; FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! I'm sick of this room. I'm going to bed now and going to settle for wasting an hour or two tomorrow just to get past this fucking obstacle.

Edit: hang on, I just though to try it sideways instead of straight down. I'll see if that works before I head to bed.

Goatmon on

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nexus Zero wrote: »
    Am I missing something with 15?
    The bit where you have to 'jump' over a glass wall, through a force field. There's a little enclave to the left where I can get a load of speed, but I can't fire a portal through to the big wall in the main chamber to take advantage of it.
    jump into the floor, pop out of the wall, and shoot a new portal into the floor. You'll pop out of the wall again, this time iwth enough force to get over the fence.

Shoot a rocket at the glass tube. you'll get a box you can use to get into the vent. and next, where I got stuck:
    you can shoot through the spinning fan to make a portal. You might not notice because the spinning fan makes your reticle say it can't make a portal a lot.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007
    There is a simpler solution to my problem. although it probably wasn't intended.
    You can grab an office chair from a few rooms back and use that instead of a box.

LockeCole on
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This one is a bit tricky, you need to
    make a portal in the rocket turret room and then another that is level with the tube that has the boxes in it.
    Stand in front of the first portal so the rocket it fired through and into the tube, freeing a box for your use.

It took me a while to figure out.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
    edited October 2007
    There is a simpler solution to my problem. although it probably wasn't intended.
    You can grab an office chair from a few rooms back and use that instead of a box.

That's what I did. :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • PeterPeter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Although a bit short, it was absolutely brilliant.

So....the building.....waddya all reckon?

Peter on
    edited October 2007
    By the way, I want to point out that I managed to make that first real obstacle in levle 18 even more difficult than it should have been.
    I took Viper's advice, but on the way out of the angled wall portla, I thought he meant to use a portal immediately to the right as you exit the first one, so I was shooting at the floor just as I came out of the angled wall, trying to land into it, only to launch into the water. I figured I was just doing something wrong, and kept at it, until it occurred to me;

"did he mean the platform, near the water, to the right? Oh. Fucking duh?"

I felt a bit silly for wasting, like, 10 minutes doing it the other way.

Also, update on my "Stuck" status;
    I forgot while I was posting my initial bitching, that the drop on the left side has portal-proof walls, so it's impossible to portal anywhere but the floor, so I guess I'm stuck with having to do it exaclty right. So, I'm probably going to be at it for a fucking hour or two if/when I go at it again. Which, given how frustrating this is, may not be for a while. -_-

Goatmon on

edited October 2007
    Zetx wrote: »

Heh, take that puzzle!

Nice avatar :)

Now I'm stuck again, but its because I keep failing to set up the portals right for an inertia jump not that I don't know what to do. Bah.

LockeCole on
    edited October 2007

Heh, take that puzzle!

Now I'm stuck again, but its because I keep failing to set up the portals right for an inertia jump not that I don't know what to do. Bah.

Thanks. I wanted it as an avatar before anyone else got to it ;p

(I noticed that the Companion Cube had a heart whereas all the other cubes do not.)

General suggestion:
    Try shooting one portal at an angled panel and another at the floor, and jump through the floor one, then as you fall, create the 'floor' portal as you go along. Then you figure out where the hell you're actually trying to go, heh. :lol:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited October 2007
    Yeah I figured it out, but thanks. I was going at it a few more times just to see if I could figure it out, when I saw something I hadn't noticed before.
    How, after jumping through the floor and coming out from the first platform, for a couple seconds you have a glimpse of the top of the next platform. Only took a couple tries to reach the next platform after that. :3

Goatmon on

• metavisualmetavisual Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I usually keep quiet around here, but this thread is so full of win that I had to give my own personal thumbs up for whatever that's worth... :^::^::^:

metavisual on
    metavisual.png
    edited October 2007
    Just beat it. Man, I wish it was longer, but damn, totally awesome. The ending songs rocks too. :)
    The end 'boss' was really cool too. Especially the running commentary.

LockeCole on
    edited October 2007
    Feh. I'm done for today. I need to sleep before I can get the hang of aiming (and hitting) a target, while doing a vertical 180, 5 times in a row. This level is too much for me; There really is no comparison between this one, and everything before it. I figured everything prior to this level out within minutes, whereas this one has sucked hours away. It's kinda ridiculous, but I'll waste more time on it later.

Later all. Thanks for the tips.

Goatmon on

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So I played this game a bit today.

It's pretty good.

Stupid class and later rehearsal taking time away from my day :(

Khavall on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Another 18 question
    So when I first went out I wasn't able to use the angled wall thing to get to the other side and it went back before I was able to use it. I've gotten the turrets out but I have no idea if I should restart or not.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That's what I ended up doing...

Also, with regards to the end...
    Best credits ever, or best credits ever?

Oats on
    edited October 2007
    Another 18 question
    So when I first went out I wasn't able to use the angled wall thing to get to the other side and it went back before I was able to use it. I've gotten the turrets out but I have no idea if I should restart or not.
    It's not a 1-time button. Just go back and try again.

Goatmon on

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Heh, take that puzzle!

I tried an office chair but it kept falling over so I portal'd all the other chairs and computers to made a pile, which took a lot of random hopping onto to get just right. Grabbing a cube sounds a lot less time-consuming.

Agentflit on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    People..... Do my eyes deceive me? Are the Portal threads quite possibly the most amazing things to ever be created by man? Yes, for shizzle they are.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    Agentflit wrote: »

Heh, take that puzzle!

I tried an office chair but it kept falling over so I portal'd all the other chairs and computers to made a pile, which took a lot of random hopping onto to get just right. Grabbing a cube sounds a lot less time-consuming.
    I stood on a computer case while it was vertical, worked for me the second time. (The first time, it must've tipped over, so I went back to get a chair, but never used it. Also, I never saw the cube in a glass case or whatever. I still don't know where it is.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I forgot while I was posting my initial bitching, that the drop on the left side has portal-proof walls, so it's impossible to portal anywhere but the floor, so I guess I'm stuck with having to do it exaclty right. So, I'm probably going to be at it for a fucking hour or two if/when I go at it again. Which, given how frustrating this is, may not be for a while. -_-

What I did (which might not actually be the right way, since I haven't beaten the level yet):
    I stuck a portal on the first platform in the water and at the bottom of the shaft (of course), but I didn't actually use them to jump on to the platform. Instead, I just shot the portal end used in the shaft onto the next platform, which would throw me on top of the second platform once I re-entered the portal on the first platform. Does this make sense? Also, you can extend this practice to the third platform as well, which is what I'm having trouble with.

One Thousand Cables on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is just a plain fun game. The whole time I was playing I couldnt wipe the smile from my face.

Not that I wanted to.

Icemopper on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Icemopper wrote: »
    This is just a plain fun game. The whole time I was playing I couldnt wipe the smile from my face.

Not that I wanted to.

I was playing in a crowded area, so I was sitting there grinning and laughing like a moron while people were walking around.

Khavall on
This discussion has been closed.