As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everyone Agrees That [Nintendo] Has Met With A Terrible Fate

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Stephen Totillo asked Aonuma if Tingle was gay

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-explains-where-tingle-came-from-1686538751

The answer?

'No, he's just super weird'

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Egm asked that decades ago.

Its still super offensive!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Egm asked that decades ago.

Its still super offensive!

Yeah I don't really understand why people thought he was

I choose to believe aonuma's answer is along the lines of "what? No. He's weird. Why would you think that?"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I didn't play Majora's Mask until I was 29
    The thing that frustrated me the most on the moon was the goron part, rolling on those narrow strips and hitting the 90 deg bumper thingys perfectly. Doing anything precisely while goron rolling was a pain for me.
    I've had two strange things happen to me on that part. One, sometimes I would hit a bumper and come to a dead stop. The other is I would be turned 180 degrees and go rolling in the wrong direction.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Its the fairy stuff; the fact that he doesnt act like a typical man. Its gay panic horseshit

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Because aggressively weird == gay has been a longstanding stereotype in media. I believe they call it "fey". It's really dumb that it's still so prevalent in social consciousness.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    About the goron rolling it probably didn't help that my N64 analog stick was busted and worn out back then.

Its the fairy stuff; the fact that he doesnt act like a typical man. Its gay panic horseshit

Man I bet that's frustrating as shit for aonuma too

They set out to make a strange, whimsical character and people tack a bunch of cultural baggage onto it

I mean I don't really like Tingle but that has a lot more to do with him stealing all my goddamn Force Gems than anything else

I kinda like that he's just a big weirdo

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I mean

I think part of it is people assuming that it's the creators being homophobic

Which I mean hooray that that's not what's going on

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Ganon's true form is deez nuts

I had just woken up right before making this post and I have no idea why I went this particular route

edited February 2015

I had just woken up right before making this post and I have no idea why I went this particular route

I am really

really enjoying the image of groggy, early morning grey ghost logging onto the forums and intent on making a deez nuts joke regardless of context

Chincymcchilla on
    Well his response to that seems to be Groose so it all worked out

I am really

really enjoying the image of groggy, early morning grey ghost logging onto the forums and intent on making a deez nuts joke regardless of context

I can guarantee you I sleepily chuckled for like 10 seconds after, too

I am really

I can guarantee you I sleepily chuckled for like 10 seconds after, too

listen

I can't get going in the morning until I take a shower

have a coffee

and make a joke about genitals

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I really like Tingle because he is this sort of irritating weirdo who consistently does things that make him seem like kind of a jerk

But he pretty obviously does it all with no actual malice behind it, which is kind of charming in a way when you always end up having to bail him out

Man where can i get Tingle's Rose Covered Rupee Land, Nintendo Power was pushing that thing for american release for a while but nothing came of it

If I ever have a job where I have to make daily presentations I'll begin each with "good morning, everyone: deez nuts. Now, to our first item here..."

Like Roger on American Dad

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I mean

I think part of it is people assuming that it's the creators being homophobic

Which I mean hooray that that's not what's going on

The creators are less likely to be homophobic and more likely to just not be thinking about or considering gay people at all.

So, a mixed bag, I guess.

If I ever have a job where I have to make daily presentations I'll begin each with "good morning, everyone: deez nuts. Now, to our first item here..."

I have been starting my weekly meetings with "hey everybody its tueeeesdaaaay" for about a year

I do not intend to stop

Roger is based on Paul Lynde, right? One of the few things I liked about that show

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I thought Tingle was supposed to be some dark metaphor or whatever you call it to Link because the whole reason Link is out in Majora's Mask was because he's looking for Navi. So he meets a weird 35 year old obsessed with fairies.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Roger is based on Paul Lynde, right? One of the few things I liked about that show

I like the show anyway, but it gets markedly better around the time they figure out how to use Roger.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

AtomicTofu wrote: »

woah, 5/10, ouch

Let's see what she has to s-
    Kirb your enthusiasm.

aaaaaagh

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The main thing that's hitting me abiut rainbow curse is that it looks like it plays verrrrrry slowly

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/18/8060651/kirby-and-the-rainbow-curse-review-wii-u

Polygon gives it an 85

I wonder if we're starting to enter the era where the polish of getting something simple to play and look super well like nintendo does is just gonna start to lose some critics without a little more there

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

"...uh..."

"I'm sorry, but all of the items for today seem to be deez nuts."

sig.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Reviews of Kirby games are meaningless and have been since the year 2000

dN0T6ur.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    in-the-year-2000.jpg

AtomicTofu wrote: »

woah, 5/10, ouch

Let's see what she has to s-
    Kirb your enthusiasm.

aaaaaagh

Saturday-Night-Live-Wanyes-World-Mike-Myers-Dana-Carvey-650x367.jpg

sig.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Because aggressively weird == gay has been a longstanding stereotype in media. I believe they call it "fey". It's really dumb that it's still so prevalent in social consciousness.

I'm sure Oberon, Titania, and Mab would have something to say about this.

The Gamespot review seems to be far and away the outlier so far, with some reviews going as high as 90%.

sig.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The thing that frustrated me the most on the moon was the goron part, rolling on those narrow strips and hitting the 90 deg bumper thingys perfectly. Doing anything precisely while goron rolling was a pain for me. Did goron rolling get tweaked in the 3DS version?

Just have faith.

PNk1Ml4.png
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Reviews of Kirby games are meaningless and have been since the year 2000

Well

Like 6 more just dropped and they're all 80 +

so it seems like Alexa may just be in the minority on this one

That screenshot is so aggressively cute I'm getting that thing where you want to take care of whatever you're seeing and, because that's not possible, you veer over into wanting to hurt something

dN0T6ur.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    I wonder if we're starting to enter the era where the polish of getting something simple to play and look super well like nintendo does is just gonna start to lose some critics without a little more there
    "simple to play and look super well" is basically a summation of the entire Kirby franchise.

Triple Deluxe also had a similar variation in review scores. They're polarizing games, critically speaking.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I didn't like that Kirby game on DS.

I like kirby platformers.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Reviewing a Kirby game is like reviewing sunshine and a nice breeze

6F32U1X.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    even canvas curse wasn't really that great once the novelty wore off

I appreciate that nintendo uses kirby to do weird stuff but I think it's been a long time since they really pulled it off

now kirby triple deluxe that's a video game

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    even canvas curse wasn't really that great once the novelty wore off

I appreciate that nintendo uses kirby to do weird stuff but I think it's been a long time since they really pulled it off

now kirby triple deluxe that's a video game

Spoken like a true gamer

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.