As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone Agrees That [Nintendo] Has Met With A Terrible Fate

19495969798100»

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wyborn, let's not say things we can't take back.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Surprisingly, the only true gamer is Wil Wheaton.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I really wish they'd go the superstar route again and make a kirby platform where every power is a big moveset of crazy stuff and kirby has a metric shitload of dynamic and kinetic animations

Triple deluxe is good but come on it's been like 20 years it's time superstar got dethroned as the definitive kirby game

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You're right

I'm sorry I called you a gamer -Tal

I was wounded about that thing you said about Kirby Canvas Curse, on the Nintendo DS handheld gaming system, and I lashed out in my hurt

Can you forgive me

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That screenshot is so aggressively cute I'm getting that thing where you want to take care of whatever you're seeing and, because that's not possible, you veer over into wanting to hurt something

oh yeah

that thing

that thing we've all had

(oh god don't let him hurt me)
    I wonder if we're starting to enter the era where the polish of getting something simple to play and look super well like nintendo does is just gonna start to lose some critics without a little more there
    "simple to play and look super well" is basically a summation of the entire Kirby franchise.

Triple Deluxe also had a similar variation in review scores. They're polarizing games, critically speaking.

It's pretty much What Nintendo Does

I guess it seems like that's starting to not be enough for people

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I prefer kirby's adventure gba to super star.............

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    That screenshot is so aggressively cute I'm getting that thing where you want to take care of whatever you're seeing and, because that's not possible, you veer over into wanting to hurt something

oh yeah

that thing

that thing we've all had

(oh god don't let him hurt me)
    I wonder if we're starting to enter the era where the polish of getting something simple to play and look super well like nintendo does is just gonna start to lose some critics without a little more there
    "simple to play and look super well" is basically a summation of the entire Kirby franchise.

Triple Deluxe also had a similar variation in review scores. They're polarizing games, critically speaking.

It's pretty much What Nintendo Does

I guess it seems like that's starting to not be enough for people

I think a part of it is that we're starting to have reviewers young enough to not have grown up with Nintendo and who don't know what to expect from a Kirby game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I found Kirby Triple Deluxe extremely competent and also mostly boring.

signature.png

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've played a kirby game since the original game boy one

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I really wish they'd go the superstar route again and make a kirby platform where every power is a big moveset of crazy stuff and kirby has a metric shitload of dynamic and kinetic animations

Triple deluxe is good but come on it's been like 20 years it's time superstar got dethroned as the definitive kirby game

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought triple deluxe DID have movesets for all the powers. Like, big ones, too.

And the level design in it was way better than in Superstar, which is probably a bigger indicator of overall quality for me

It's just that it lacked Superstar's sense of kinetic madness, replacing it with a different sort of madness where Kirby swallows those giant eels and they realize what is happening to them

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I gave up on Kirby games when I beat Squek Squad in like 2 sittings

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I haven't gotten super deep into triple deluxe but while you definitely have multiple moves for each power it didn't seem like it had the same depth as superstar

Then again maybe I'm remembering superstar with rose colored glasses

• Options
    2 sittings is gargantuan for a Kirby game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    make Kirby 64-2

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Kirby 64 was Kirby's Dream Land 3 2 though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The thing you really have to keep in mind about Kirby games is that they're genuinely games made for children

You have to go into them with that understanding: they're really high quality kids games with tons of polish, but they're also designed with kids in mind. If you're comfortable beating Mario games, Kirby is not going to pose significant challenge for you unless you dig into the non-mandatory stuff

And that's OK

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So basically make a Kirby's Dream Land 5: 3 3: 64 2.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The only Kirby games I've played were Amazing Mirror and Nightmare in Dreamland for GBA

Triple Deluxe is definitely on the list of 3DS games I want, though

• Options
    My obsession with only shitting on things I've given a fair shit is making me eye monster hunter 3 ultimate

• Options
    That was a typo but I'm leaving it

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I tell you what, Speed

If you play MH3 I'll play with you, if we can work out a decent schedule

Assuming you mean the Wii U one

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    But that one only has local co-op! (on the DS)

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I haven't gotten super deep into triple deluxe but while you definitely have multiple moves for each power it didn't seem like it had the same depth as superstar

Then again maybe I'm remembering superstar with rose colored glasses

Superstar had maybe 3 moves per power though, it wasn't THAT ridiculously deep.

The main thing is that Kirby Super Star has already had five spiritual successors (and a remake).

You know them as the Super Smash Bros. series.

sig.gif
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    To be honest, I only care about Nintendo reviews from websites that focus on Nintendo games. I know they're more likely to be biased for the game, but they'll also be more likely to have played the other Nintendo games I want to compare It to. Nintendo is almost its own genre anymore.

• Options
    Basically both of you find a way to get 4 cheap so I can show you the light and the way and so because it's so much more friendly to new people holy shit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The thing you really have to keep in mind about Kirby games is that they're genuinely games made for children

You have to go into them with that understanding: they're really high quality kids games with tons of polish, but they're also designed with kids in mind. If you're comfortable beating Mario games, Kirby is not going to pose significant challenge for you unless you dig into the non-mandatory stuff

And that's OK

Yeah like

I was dissappointed that triple deluxe was that easy to 100%

but its EXTREMELY well made and I don't think 'not hard enough' is really a complaint I wanna leverage against a game clearly designed for kids

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    What was the name of the second Kirby game that came out on the Wii (not Epic Yarn)? I feel like that got so little attention that any further hopes of more standard Kirby games are unlikely.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Remember that moment in Triple Deluxe where you recreate The Three Little Pigs with you playing the wolf swallowing waddle dee houses? I think Kirby might be history's greatest monster.

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    What was the name of the second Kirby game that came out on the Wii (not Epic Yarn)? I feel like that got so little attention that any further hopes of more standard Kirby games are unlikely.

Kirby Return to Dreamland is baller

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Return to dreamland

That game was in development hell for like 10 years and eventually got pooped out unceremoniously with basically no marketing or fanfare

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    truck nuts are the most pitiful looking thing

• Options
    Like that game was announced near the beginning of the gamecube's lifespan

They originally touted it as a kirby game made in the smash bros melee engine

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Damn! I remember hearing about the game on melee's engine, never put two and two together.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    nintendo will most definitely continue making standard kirby games

return to dreamland got little attention because it was a wii game released after most people stopped caring about the wii and also because it had a weirdly low print run

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Kirby Return to Dreamland is baller

I thought it was pretty painfully generic

• Options
    Basically both of you find a way to get 4 cheap so I can show you the light and the way and so because it's so much more friendly to new people holy shit

Finding new 3ds games for cheap is

not easy

Since I talked to Vow I've been sort of looking for a cheap copy of Majora's and I'm pretty sure it just doesn't exist

A quick search of ebay shows basically the same thing for MH4U

• Options
    I would like

a big-ass story driven kirby game based on the kirby cartoon

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Are we talking about the four-player co-op game where Kirby, Waddle Dee, Dedede, and Meta Knight ride a team of baby space dragons through sidescrolling shooter levels set in a Kirby variant on the Death Star and have a fight with an evil god

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.