As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures of Lagertha ft Ragnar [Vikings]

SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
edited February 2015 in Social Entropy++
Today is the begining of Season 3 of Vikings!
http://youtu.be/PiqWLM3wyeY
Uh-oh, looks like things are going to get friggin' crazy! Lets take a look at our Hero shall we?

tumblr_mzrxfvUnlX1s6bxzqo1_500.png
This stone cold badass is Lagertha, and she does not take shit from anybody. She's a renowned warrior, fearsome conqueror, self-made Jarl, and a loving mother. May Odin have mercy on you if you threaten her children.

1dfc2ae2b61df3cecc939148ecaeb66e.jpg
Tagging along with Lagertha is her ex-husband Ragnar, who is like King, or something. I guess he's alright.

tumblr_mzryxczHoo1s7xoeto1_500.png
Ragnar's BFF Floki who's pretty cool. Likes hanging out in bushes watching young lovers. Also talks to the Gods.

tumblr_nixh18Nu5F1s7xoeto1_r1_500.png
This is Rollo.He is a great warrior, but not so great a man. He excels at taking off his shirt and murdering you while you're too busy staring at his chest.

Vikings is an amazing and shows what happens when two cultures collide and everything goes to hell. If you want to catch up seasons 1 and 2 are on Amazon Instant Video, if you have Prime, you can watch them for free!. Also Hulu Plus! To get you even more psyched here's last year's promo
http://youtu.be/VnH4e1UR9Hk

8EVmPzM.jpg
Snowbear on

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Who the hell is Ragnar

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I guess he's our POV character to experience Lagertha's glory firsthand

8EVmPzM.jpg
    http://youtu.be/lZiGwy1-qgc

Ahhhh I love Katheryn Winnick

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Donal Logue continues to show up in the weirdest places. I fully expect him to show up at family dinner at some point. I just assume he'll be somewhere I look eventually.

Will he try to murder your family?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    vikings vikings vikings vikiiiiings

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    you might want to mention that the show is also available on Hulu Plus in the OP there

Ah, thanks CD, didn't know about that

So does anyone have theories about what is going to happen tonight, or at least what is gonna happen this season?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    God I love this show so much

CYpGAPn.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Fuselage our time has come!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited February 2015
    I'm going to have to rewatch the S2 finale, because I forgot what happened.

edit: I haven't seen the previews for S3. Is it just where S2 left off or was there any indication of a time-hop forward?

wrong_button on
    The Field Museum in Chicago just installed a viking longship into a new exhibit. I am excited to go visit when it opens up

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Bloooood eeeeeeeagle

when ragnar makes that pose it's like fuck, son

Pooro what is your favorite method of killing your enemies?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I'm glad you made this thread, cause I totally forgot about tonight.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I want to throw axes RIGHT NOW

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Snowbear wrote: »
    Pooro what is your favorite method of killing your enemies?

Probably like kindness or with a gravy boat

Premiere thoughts:

The Lagertha usurper dude is probably the first viking they've cast who I think looks too modernly handsome for me to buy him. Don't particularly care for him or his performance, but we'll see.

I had never even imagined an Ecbert/Lagertha romance, but now that's the only thing I want in basically the whole world. I've always liked Ecbert a lot, and his reaction shot game was on fuckin' point tonight. Not sure how I feel about the Athelston/Princess/Prince weird little love triangle thing yet, but that's just because we don't yet know very much about the princess.

That battle at the end was dope as hell, as Vikings fights typically are, but one thing that was kind of confusing was... What was the King's plan? Like, how did he see that shit going down? The King and his nephew both seemed flabbergasted that the vikings would go ashore on only one side - did they seriously think they'd split a small force in two to fight two big armies? That is very silly.

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but one of my absolute favorite things about this show is their steadfast commitment to making the English dudes look as dorky as they, historically, did. Dorky helmets, Ecbert's dorky cloak, dorky haircuts. It's a dorkapalooza, and I unabashedly love it.

The English are dorks, its true.

And yeah I am not sure what those dudes had in plan. they all seemed stupefied that Ragnar would choose to fight only one army instead of splitting his forces and fighting two, which kinda seems like a no brainer.

8EVmPzM.jpg
    As for the Athelstan love triangle. I am not sure how it is going to pan out, isn't the princess already married to the prince and carrying his child? I kinda felt it was more of a religious experience for her than anything romantic. But tell that to the prince who only sees his wife kissing some dude's hand.

8EVmPzM.jpg
    I've felt like - since day one - Ecbert was just teeing him up for when he inevitably realizes Athelstan is going to be the one who sees he's screwing any and all comers. The princely love triangle may wind up being the pretense he uses to axe him with justification when he need to shut him up.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Episode 2
    The pan from the heads on the boat to Ragnar's big grin... amazing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    I love this show so much. I am not convinced that Floki isn't Loki, though.
    Also, fuck this show for killing off Torstein. I liked him!

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I love this show so much. I am not convinced that Floki isn't Loki, though.
    Also, fuck this show for killing off Torstein. I liked him!

Making Floki be Actual Loki would earn Vikings some kind of honorary award for Sheer Insane Balls, right?

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm really suprised that
    Princess Daughter didn't just straight up throw her panties at Athelstan.

Also, the coup back in Lagertha's hometown is hilarious. They'll want to kick her out, and she'll be like "whatever, I'm gonna farm in England and marry a King."

sig.gif
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Episode 2
    The pan from the heads on the boat to Ragnar's big grin... amazing.

yes yes yes yes

Episode 2
    I'm sad about Thornton. Also it kinda felt like Rollo and Floki were ignoring his obvious injuries until it was too late to save him.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Episode 2
    I'm sad about Thornton. Also it kinda felt like Rollo and Floki were ignoring his obvious injuries until it was too late to save him.
    It's not like that.
    Torstien was their bro; they helped him when he asked for it, but left him alone until then. He was responsible for getting treatment for his own injuries; he was just trying to be a big tough man and walk it off. It's not like medical science was a reliable practice in the ninth century, anyway.

yeah there ain't nothing you can do about that

Seasn 3, Episode 3
    Torstien goes out like a hero anyway.

I mean yes. I understand that. Rollo even comes by and gives him mushrooms and a big ol hint with that prisoner. But like when Floki and Ragnar and Rollo got hurt they were given a bit more attention

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I am constantly surprised by how much I like the way they treat languages. everybody speaks modern English unless it is poignant that there is in fact a language barrier and then that is played out and next scene? boom, back to English.

it works surprisingly well.

scherbchen wrote: »
    I am constantly surprised by how much I like the way they treat languages. everybody speaks modern English unless it is poignant that there is in fact a language barrier and then that is played out and next scene? boom, back to English.

yeah it's really awesome.

they actually have three ways of doing it, depending on who is in the conversation.

if athelstan is translating, then everyone speaks their own language

if everyone speaks the same language, they speak english

if ragnar is in the room, everyone still speaks english, while the opposing factions do not understand each other and will ask ragnar what they said.

it's super great, and informs your views of the character at the same time.

it's probably the best use of language i've ever seen

edited March 2015
    Langly wrote: »

yeah it's really awesome.

they actually have three ways of doing it, depending on who is in the conversation.

if athelstan is translating, then everyone speaks their own language

if everyone speaks the same language, they speak english

if ragnar is in the room, everyone still speaks english, while the opposing factions do not understand each other and will ask ragnar what they said.

it's super great, and informs your views of the character at the same time.

with the notable exception of scene 1 of the first episode. Rollo and Ragnar slaying dudes and talking Norse. Followed by the introduction of the real protagonist, Lagertha, in the next scene which is in English.

I think that rather than that being a "welcome to a foreign world" gimmik in the first scene this is a "hello viewer, we will do this from time to time. trust us. it'll make sense" very early on which just underlines the brilliance of it.

scherbchen on
    The introduction of the monks in their first scenes was all in Old English, too.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    There was a weird bit in Season 2, I think, where they were waiting for the saxons to bring a carriage or something, and some dudes were speaking finnish in the background. Wasn't even random noise or anything, but actually relevant to what was happening. Maybe they took on some crew in the past from the coasts of Finland? I believe they were raiding the Baltic areas at the start of the series.

I just found it odd.

Rhan9 on
    The introduction of the monks in their first scenes was all in Old English, too.

ooh, neat. so maybe it was a calling card thing.

ooh, neat. so maybe it was a calling card thing.

It was had super ambiance. The monks were all muttering in Old English about the end of the world, the Book of Revelations, and the beast with the seven heads and the ten horns while the lightning storm was crashing outside. Then this crazy looking Viking ship (with lots of apparent heads and horns) emerges from the darkness, as if to confirm that, yes, it was Judgement Day. For them, at least.

It only switches to English, I think, when Aethelstan talks to the Prior of the Monastery. So, when one of the show's primary viewpoint characters has an important conversation.