As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium Game 9 - Round 8: Game Over.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    We are feeling quite pleased, so we will allow your laughable PDS to fire:

Geth roll 1d10t6 for Impotent Rage

Impotent Rage:
    1d10t6 0 [1d10t6=5]

I also have 4 fighters in the system (as the loss was rounded down to 3), although you rolled for 4 and then said we had 3.

Next we initiate planetary bombardment and invasion.
    We don't particularly want a fair fight, so we'll invade Shalloq with all 5 GFs and Bombard Shalloq with 1 War Sun and Retillion with the other War Sun.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Whoops. Thought I made an edit to correct that, but I seem to have missed.

You can distribute Ground Forces however you'd like across invasion targets. Note that without sending any Ground Forces to Retillion, control will stay in Yssaril's hands. Unfortunately, I'm rather busy and still have work to finish up tonight, so I won't be able to resolve things myself until tomorrow - you and El Skid may resolve the battle yourselves if you can coordinate it.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I realise that.
    But I don't think I'll win a battle vs his ACs and an even army.
    And capturing one home planet is enough to stop him scoring Objectives.

Sorry for the delays - just coming back in to mention that I'm not dead and resolution will be happening after a good night's sleep.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Round 8 - Bombardment of Retillion

Yssaril has 1 Shock Troop and 4 Ground Forces.

Muaat bombards Retillion with 1 War Sun.

Geth roll 3d10t3 for Retillion Bombardment

Round 8 - Invasion of Shalloq

Pre-battle

Muaat has 5 Ground Forces.
    Yssaril has 2 Ground Forces.

Muaat bombards Shalloq with 1 War Sun.

Geth roll 3d10t3 for Shalloq Bombardment

Retillion Bombardment:
    3d10t3 3 [3d10t3=10, 8, 9]
    Shalloq Bombardment:
    3d10t3 3 [3d10t3=4, 3, 7]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Retillion bombardment destroys 1 Shock Troop and 2 Ground Forces.
    Shalloq bombardment destroys 2 Ground Forces; Muaat's invasion is successful.

@Kirindal to act next.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    @Kirindal, your action?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Activate Fleshly Bankruptcy and send a Cruiser & Destroyer from Dal Bootha - Xxehan

I thought I was waiting for something, but I guess I wasn't? In any case...

Round 8 - Battle at Fleshly Bankruptcy

Round 1

Nekro has 1 Cruiser and 1 Destroyer.
    Yssaril has 1 Destroyer.

Geth roll 1d10t6+1d10t8 for Nekro
    Geth roll 1d10t9 for Yssaril

Nekro:
    1d10t6+1d10t8 1 [1d10t6=6] [1d10t8=3]
    Yssaril:
    1d10t9 0 [1d10t9=8]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Yssaril destroys 1 Destroyer; combat resolves in favor of Nekro.

@Kirindal, select a technology to gain.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    The Nekro Virus claim Enviro Compensators

Xxcha declare play of the primary ability of the (3) Assembly Strategy card and pause for interrupts. @El Skid?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Play action card:

Council Disbanded
    Cancel the primary and secondary ability of the Political or Assembly Strategy Card.
    Play: Immediately after a player executes the primary ability of the Political or Assembly Strategy Card.

The Xxcha will play Action Card "Sabotage" to nullify Yssaril's card and proceed with the primary ability.

Pass the Speaker Token to Mentak and we shall play the following Political Card from my hand:

Seed of an Empire
    For: The player or players with the most victory points gain 1 victory point.
    Against: The player or players with the fewest victory points gain 1 victory point.

I hope you don't mind me being a little bit greedy; we still have another agenda card due to Necessary Bureaucracy that we can churn through to see if there are any other preventative measures possible.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • faintpremonitionfaintpremonition Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Naalu are FOR AGAINST, but we needed a better Agenda to counteract the tiebreaker victory Yssaril are about to claim. Unless the next card is a silver bullet we can give Yssaril victory.

faintpremonition on
    I'll be more than happy to spend all my Strategy Allocation counters, but I find it unlikely that we'll have two agendas that will be so highly desired that we want to vote on both of them. We should be seeing the same number of cards in any case, but at least this way, maybe I can get something for myself. Voting AGAINST, by the way - not so sure why you'd want to vote FOR.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2015
    Voting FOR

El Skid on
    edited March 2015
    Voting AGAINST. Although I must remind the council that my newly liberated planet was received untapped and ready to usurp the Yssaril scourge.

Also we believe so long as the Yssaril does not have enough VP to out-right win this turn, they would be down in the tie-breaker of most planets.

discrider on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    AGAINST

I voted FOR because I read at a first grade level. I meant Against.

Agenda is voted AGAINST, and Xxcha gain a victory point. Now to see what Necessary Bureaucracy brings:

Vorhal Peace Prize (LAW)
    For: The player or players with the lowest Fleet Supply gain 1 additional Command Counter during each Status Phase.
    Against: The player or players with the lowest Fleet Supply immediately gain 3 Trade Goods.

Xxcha exert their racial ability to discard the Political card and draw a new agenda: (SA 4 --> 3)

Technology Tariffs (LAW)
    For: All red technology costs +4 resources to purchase.
    Against: Green technology cannot be acquired or purchased for the remainder of this round.

Xxcha exert their racial ability to discard the Political card and draw a new agenda: (SA 3 --> 2)

Forced Economic Independence (LAW)
    Elect Two Players: Place control markers of the elected players on this law. The elected players cannot have trade agreements with each other while this law is in play. If they have a trade agreement already, it is immediately broken.

Xxcha exert their racial ability to discard the Political card and draw a new agenda: (SA 2 --> 1)

Documenting Research (LAW)
    For: When a player uses the secondary ability of the Technology Strategy Card, reduce his cost to 0 if he is purchasing the same Technology acquired using the primary ability.
    Against: Exhaust each planet that has a Technology specialty.

Xxcha exert their racial ability to discard the Political card and draw a new agenda: (SA 1 --> 0)

Official Sanction
    Elect Player: The elected player may not invade a neutral planet or a planet controlled by an opponent for the remainder of this round.

... welp. Vote for Yssaril?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    We thought this might happen, considering we discarded two viable PCs last year some time. I don't know how many VP equalising PCs would be left.
    Vote for Yssaril.

Wait, I'm misremembering.
    The only relevant PC we've discarded was:
    Mutiny
    For: Each player that voted for this agenda gains 1 victory point.
    Against: Each player that voted for this agenda loses 1 victory point.

The other one was based around Secret Objective completion, and that wouldn't have helped.

Mr. B, can we get an updated map?

I think that we should vote for Muaat here. The two scenarios here are as follows:

- I win the game when I play Diplomacy. This vote doesn't matter.
    - I don't win the game this turn, and literally cannot attack anything anyway. At this point I lose the tiebreak to Muaat as of next round, so continuing to pile on me is useless and ultimately going to bite everyone in the ass when we try and rein in Muaat next turn.

So.. Vote for Muaat

What?

First, this PC's effect only lasts this round.
    I don't see how this would limit me at all, considering that I've already moved my attack fleet into your home system and can't do anything with that for the rest of the round.

Voting for the Yssaril makes the most sense, considering that he could easily remove the CC blocking the rest of his fleet with an AC and then try to move into a better position for the tie breaker before playing Diplomacy.
    And this is a highly likely scenario all things considered, as I've been sitting on the Signal Jamming card for several Yssaril-peeking rounds now.

WAIT ONE MINUTE:

BATTLE AT FLESHY BANKRUPTCY?

@Kirindal DEFEND YOURSELF

Geth roll 2d10t6 for DEEP SPACE FIRE

DEEP SPACE FIRE:
    2d10t6 1 [2d10t6=1, 7]

Nekro had one Cruiser and one Destroyer in Fleshy Bankruptcy.
    Assuming order of destruction by least combat value leaves one Cruiser in Fleshy Bankruptcy.
    This Cruiser scored a hit.
    Battle resolves in favor of the Nekro.

edited March 2015
    ...And what would I do with the one fleet? I can't claim a VP for winning a space battle even if I could somehow remove that token...which I can't. Muaat is the biggest danger if I can't win now, and this won't change anything.

I reiterate, you should vote Muaat on this.

El Skid on
    You are ahead in Victory Points.
    If the only way to beat you is to somehow tie you with me in VP, then the tie-breaker of 'owns most planets' is important.
    So we should freeze your fleets twice-over on the chance you can free your fleets with the appropriate AC, and then reclaim more planets before you end the game.

In any case, I am circling your space station in my shining bastions of hope, and don't need to attack this turn or the next.
    If anyone else, maybe prevent the Nekro from getting new tech?

But I'm still firmly in the 'ACs ruin this game' camp, and would prefer to be overcautious rather than have another one swing the game for no good reason.

edited March 2015
    Of course you want to be overcautious and want to still be able to attack stuff. I wasn't actually talking to the other players in the game, who do not have a vested interest in having you succeed. :rotate:

El Skid on
    I have seen the Imperium Rex card. It is coming up as soon as Yssaril play. Unless someone has an AMAZING action card-- and I do not think there are any that futz with VP, it's probably okay to call the Yssaril the winners here.

To speed things along Naalu vote for Yssaril.

El Skid wrote: »
    Of course you want to be overcautious and want to still be able to attack stuff. I wasn't actually talking to the other players in the game, who do not have a vested interest in having you succeed. :rotate:

Then who were you talking to?
    I haven't had a vested interest or any interest in this game for months now, and am simply playing it out because I should finish what I started.

Yeah, with Yssaril ahead on points and no method of overturning that from the Political cards drawn, I don't really see any way that Mentak can act in order to prevent Yssaril's victory.

... also, I seem to have messed up and my records say that I discarded Seed of an Empire last round - I shouldn't have started out with any Political Cards at all this round. What a mess. Let me try to summarize things up later tonight and provide a board update as per El Skid's request.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2015
    @MrBlarney , you should flip the next card of the PC deck.
    Regardless of what card was voted on originally, as the Xxcha had no PCs to play, that means an additional card would have been seen from the deck instead, and that the additional last card would be the one receiving the second vote.

discrider on
    edited March 2015
    Right, I would have chosen someone else who had no cards to play to draw an agenda from the top of the deck, since the one I drew from the primary was no good. That would be:

Interstellar Arms Dealers
    For: Players may pay 3 resources to immediately receive 1 Destroyer and 1 Dreadnought. These ships must immediately be placed in any system containing a friendly Space Dock.
    Against: The cost of all (non-Fighter) ships is increased by 1 resource until the end of the round.

Which doesn't change the situation at all. Time to close up shop on this game, then?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Unless there's an AC that prevents the Bureaucracy strategy card from being played/used, in much the same way as 'Council Disbanded', then yes @MrBlarney

Really though, @Kirindal is there any reason you wished to keep the game going?
    Because now would be a great time to declare any secret plan to crush the Yssaril.

Soooo...I win then? :D

I dunno. @Kirindal 's gone dark and he's the one who thought he could stop you.