As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    oh

oh come on what the hell

I was at 66% decryption and it jumps back to 0

Restart Steam.

Renzo on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh

oh come on what the hell

Yeah, I tried to play a little before work this morning, and just when it gets done, it decides to decrypt Ep. 2 as well. Which, by the time I left the house, was on route to take about three or four times as long.

artifexite on
  • Options
    Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What?

Wait.

What?

There are awesome funny conversations in the game? Not a single thing ever said a word to me the entire time through the game.

Effing glitch.

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh

oh come on what the hell

Mine blue screens me now.

I win the "FUCK ASS" award.

Of course, I did get to play up to level 19.

Khavall on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What?

Wait.

What?

There are awesome funny conversations in the game? Not a single thing ever said a word to me the entire time through the game.

Effing glitch.

Change language to something other than english, then change it back. That should fix it.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I finished Portal, the ending is amazing.

Game spoilers
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    companioncube.jpg

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God I was such a dumbass

Finally beat it and that was quite the experience

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On level 19 but had to go to class for the day
    less than 3 hours of sleep after finishing my write-up
    got side tracked by portal

on the way to class today, I was just thinking with Portal. I wanted to portal to class by hopping through blocks at a time. :(

Arminas on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm downloading while at work.

It makes me sad that so many people have already beaten it.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    I finished Portal, the ending is amazing.

Game spoilers
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    companioncube.jpg

<3 indeed. *points at avatar... and sig* :winky:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I found something relating to http://www.aperturescience.com/ ingame.
    Somewhere in the game there's a username and password scribbled on a wall. It's an admin user, but I haven't tried messing around with it yet.
    It's in the following spoiler:
    NOT! Find it yourself.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Do we have GLaDOS' "Alive" song on MP3 yet?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    :whistle:There's a hole in the bucket

Dear Liza

Dear Liza:whistle:

mrflippy on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How do I destroy cameras that are on unportalable walls? Also is the fall 30,000 feet achievement borked? I fell for a good 5+ minutes and nothing. Is it fall 30,000 feet in a single fall or built up through the game?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    HL tie-in:
    Aperture is a competitor to Black Mesa. There's a display somewhere outlining it.
    As in, competing to develop teleportation technology? It would be interesting, but I don't see how it would play a significant role in the HL universe. I can see how a combine portal ---> Aperture Science portal link would be made though, even the turrets and the design of the facility looks kind of alien-esque and combine-inspired.

Half Life 2 Episode 2 spoilers
    The Combine helicopters sound like they are run on GLaDOS. Plus, there's the obvious Apature Science ship which must have portalled into the ice.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    Do we have GLaDOS' "Alive" song on MP3 yet?

Yes: my mirror.

Ripped by Cymoro.

In regards to Peewi's Aperture Science tie-in, it has already been revealed in the other thread.
    Username: cjohnson
    Password: tier3

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wait, so this is a single player game? I was under the impression that there would be crazy multiplayer games involving portals and more portals and possibly more portals.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    XinramXinram Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Short but oh so darned awesome!

Xinram on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Wait, so this is a single player game? I was under the impression that there would be crazy multiplayer games involving portals and more portals and possibly more portals.

Well considering there are no weapons other than a weapon whose primary and secondary firing modes are "Move in mind-fucking ways" Multi would be pretty boring.

Khavall on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Xinram wrote: »
    Short but oh so darned awesome!
    I won't entertain any remarks on how short the game is until the advanced and challenge maps have been attempted.

Difficulty spike!

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Khavall wrote: »

Well considering there are no weapons other than a weapon whose primary and secondary firing modes are "Move in mind-fucking ways" Multi would be pretty boring.

Huh.

Well color me disappointed.

(I'm sure I'll still enjoy it though)

mrflippy on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't doubt that multiplayer in some form will be added in time.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm all for one team with portal guns and the other with melee weapons. The portal team has to escape/drop the other team into traps or make them fall insane distances and the melee team has to beat the shit out of the portal team.

I feel like modding this.

Anyway, about Portal:
    So does anyone else kind of feel miffed that there's not really much explained in Portal in general? I mean, all you know is that the A.I. gassed everyone else in the facility, but where are the bodies? There's not really any anything to go on other than vague hints by the A.I. ("I was the only thing between them and this place" sounds like the A.I. was trying to keep the Combine out of the place) and if the A.I. was trying to kill you in the first place, why would it require you to go through the testing? Why were you unharmed during the gassing? Why are you the only test participant left alive? And what is with all the round components that form up the A.I. that seemingly have different personalities?

Basically there are so many weird things going on and yet very few of them are explained in the end. It just kind of makes me feel disappointed when I complete the puzzles and I don't even get any of my questions answered, just more thrown up in my face.

sonictk on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    The enrichment center would like to remind you

that the companion cube will not threaten to stab you, and in fact, cannot speak.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Re: Multiplayer
    Imagine, if you will, a capture the cake map. No extra guns, just portal devices. 6-8 players. 3 or so paths to each cake. No guns other than the Portal device.

Just add crazy heights, some of those shields that reset the portal devices, lots of water and squishy devices. Opening portals under cake carriers to flaming pits, or throwing the cake into a portal to be caught on the other side by your teammates. And did I mention cake? Puzzle based multiplayer could be done to, like Uru (I think that's what that myst thing was called). But with more velocity. It could be great.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    portal story question, early on
    I found the login ejohnson and the password tier3 written on a wall, but those don't work on the aperture website. Are those for later?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    portal story question, early on
    I found the login ejohnson and the password tier3 written on a wall, but those don't work on the aperture website. Are those for later?

Look up to Zetx's post. Also, that first letter's a c, not an e.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Imagine, if you will, a capture the cake map. No extra guns, just portal devices. 6-8 players. 3 or so paths to each cake. No guns other than the Portal device.

Just add crazy heights, some of those shields that reset the portal devices, lots of water and squishy devices. Opening portals under cake carriers to flaming pits, or throwing the cake into a portal to be caught on the other side by your teammates. And did I mention cake? Puzzle based multiplayer could be done to, like Uru (I think that's what that myst thing was called). But with more velocity. It could be great.

Lol... "Like Myst, but with more velocity"

Also: Would this happen to be delicious cake?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jobastion wrote: »

Lol... "Like Myst, but with more velocity"

Also: Would this happen to be delicious cake?

it's so moist

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    oh

hurr

medium textures = hard to read letters :(

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    anyone got any tips for the 4th and 6th advanced missions?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Story spoilers ahoy!
    [...]and if the A.I. was trying to kill you in the first place, why would it require you to go through the testing? Why were you unharmed during the gassing? Why are you the only test participant left alive?
    The cake wasn't a lie.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guys, you forgot the forgot one of the more hilarious quotes.

(paraphrased)
    "Good job android.
    The enrichment center would like to remind you that android hell IS real,
    and you will be sent there at the first sign of disobedience."

Also, I 2nd the motion that this game has the best end-credits song ever.

Last Son on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Story spoilers ahoy!
    [...]and if the A.I. was trying to kill you in the first place, why would it require you to go through the testing? Why were you unharmed during the gassing? Why are you the only test participant left alive?
    The cake wasn't a lie.
    The AI didn't kill you because you hadn't incinerated the morality core yet, I assume. Perhaps it was just carrying out it's programming in testing you.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I left this downloading as I left for work. I can't wait to play it.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, here's a list (Help me add to it) of questions that need answering. Spoilered just in case.
    Who are you.
    Where is everyone else.
    How is Black Mesa and Aperture related.
    Who wrote all that stuff on the walls and helped you get out.
    What was the deal with the ending sequence that shows all the orbs turning on around the cake.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the question here is....... is the game long enough? It's a concern for me that people have already completed it but I wouldn't mind so much if people were to reassure me it's an 8 hour ride well spent.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I think the question here is....... is the game long enough? It's a concern for me that people have already completed it but I wouldn't mind so much if people were to reassure me it's an 8 hour ride well spent.

it's a two or three hour ride well spent in a game pack that give you three games.

Plus having the game will ensure user maps with more complex levels in the near future.

AHH! on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow. I totally overshot the mark with 8 hours then. Still, if it's a fun ride, who's to argue? Now if only they'd release the flippin' thing here.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »
    So, here's a list (Help me add to it) of questions that need answering. Spoilered just in case.
    How is Black Mesa and Aperture related.

As for this question,
    There are a few slideshows being shown in an office that make it look like Aperture Sciences and black mesa are rivals, but Black mesa seems to be getting all the good stuff with little work involved. I have no idea what this stuff is, but it seems like they were competitors and thats about as far as I understood

Icemopper on
This discussion has been closed.