As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Raids require either a neighboring county or a coastal county if you're Norse. But you can only switch a stack to raiding mode in friendly territory.

My current tribal game has suffered greatly because of that little feature. This is my first real foray into old golds though and I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing anyway. Managed to make the kingdom of finland but I'm staring down the pipe into 4 inheriting sons, most of whom suck. Thinking I probably should have concentrated on changing laws and reforming religion so I could toss off this goofy succession law.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So I did Old Gods start with Rurikid.

In 72 years, I subjugated all of Russia. I made my neighbors fear me. Barely any would lift a hand against me. Those that did were crushed quickly. My lords that rebelled were imprisoned and stripped of all titles. I created the Kingdom of Rus, called Gothariki or some shit. I stayed Norse (culture) and Germanic (Religion) mostly because my children were already married or tutored. I had fantastic stats, by the end my life pretty much all my subjects loved me, and I had planned to finally feudalize my lands. I never did figure out how to raid, so I had to wait for a 1.8 gold drip.

Then, succession happened.

My heir was elected. But, of course, everyone hated him. It might have something to do with him having 0 diplomacy. So, as my heir (this was last night and I couldn't remember his name), after a month, my uncle rebelled. Seeing I had no allies to call upon and my army was 1/10 as strong (I could raise 4000 men plus the tribal prestige armies as Rurikid) so I conceded defeat and allowed my uncle Skuli to imprison me, and bided my time to strike back and take back my kingdom.

But then Skuli FUCKED IT UP!

He got into three wars he clearly couldn't have won, and got 6 wars declared on Gothariki in retaliation. The outside kingdoms are now picking at my work like vultures, and it's gotten so bad, the other lords realized maybe I wasn't that bad of a guy and decide to elect my son as the new king.

I don't know what to do now until my heir becomes king. Probably a big weakness of mine was not knowing how to raid. I was confused because apparently you can only do it in friendly lands...wut?

Pics to come later.

Raids require either a neighboring county or a coastal county if you're Norse. But you can only switch a stack to raiding mode in friendly territory.
    i
    Ohhhhh.

Should I make my children Russian and Slavic when I get the chance? I feel like that's a big reason to why I get relationship penalties.

I was thinking of going Catholic down the line when I have all my lands settled and feudalized.

It really depends on what you want to do with that game. Going Russian means your kids can't raid lucrative coastal provinces. Slavic faith provides different bonuses than what you get right now. But if you can't realistically reform your starting faith, you'll need to switch faiths eventually since you can't go feudal as unreformed pagan.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    It took a lot of pillaging of temples even when my boats couldn't hold any more loot, but I reformed the Germanic faith by the early 800s.

It's going to be a while before I can afford to go feudal though. Feudal armies are big enough that I can get away with quick 500ish man raids easy, not that I'd want to since fort levels are higher on most places worth raiding. My current ruler, the son of Ragnar, got lucky in getting Siege Leader as a combat specialty though so doing more full on raids is viable.

Elective gavelkind still confuses. This was the first heir to have a brother that stuff had to be split with. Said brother fired a faction off and got crushed, had a duchy and county revoked (I had a claim on the latter), has no sons, and is waiting in my dungeons for a chance for me to torture him to an earlier death so I can inherit all of his stuff. Yet despite this, he's been elected my heir. I have two sons still being tutored so hopefully one of them draws more attention once he comes of age and is able to gain prestige as opposed to sitting in jail.

CK2's diplomatic / popularity simulation lacks the "Oh, yeah, that's totally understandable," factor we've got in real life. This can lead to some odd interactions, like the time in my Italy-now-HRE game I tried to arrest a guy who was raising an army against me inside my kingdom and all my vassals got angry. Oh, sure, arresting him was the breach of the feudal contract, not actively fomenting rebellion.

Your mistake was arresting, when you should've been murdering. :P

No, I checked the percentages. He was a pretty popular dude in his limited little area; it wasn't gonna happen. ;P

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You can totally do coastal raids as any tribal, you don't have to be Norse

You're only really barred from raiding up and down rivers, but there's plenty of other targets - many of the longer rivers are in very poor tribal territory anyway

Becoming Russian will mean that you have to deal with fewer rebellions in your territory, culture-shifting everything to Norse will be a time-consuming process

Platy on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kind of thinking of restarting now. I could raid more, get less concubines, try to set stuff up so my heir would be in a good place.

• Options
    My Sweden game continues to have surprisingly smooth successions. Sigurd Ring had only one son. Then Ragnar had only two sons. The one that didn't inherit the kingdom staged a revolt before having any sons, got thrown in jail, and eventually a plot to kill him succeeded so all his holdings reverted to my ruler. That ruler had two sons and while the electors voted for the one that had worse stats (but better diplomacy), the one that would have caused issues died of severe stress at age 35 with only a gaggle of daughters as offspring a few years the sitting ruler died. Ruler 5 has gotten a lot of territory upgraded to stone hillforts and may be able to get out of tribalism in his life time and be rid of this silly succession law.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    My Sweden game continues to have surprisingly smooth successions. Sigurd Ring had only one son. Then Ragnar had only two sons. The one that didn't inherit the kingdom staged a revolt before having any sons, got thrown in jail, and eventually a plot to kill him succeeded so all his holdings reverted to my ruler. That ruler had two sons and while the electors voted for the one that had worse stats (but better diplomacy), the one that would have caused issues died of severe stress at age 35 with only a gaggle of daughters as offspring a few years the sitting ruler died. Ruler 5 has gotten a lot of territory upgraded to stone hillforts and may be able to get out of tribalism in his life time and be rid of this silly succession law.

Man..nice. My Finland game turned into a complete shitshow when my king died leaving 4 sons to inherit, with the oldest being a complete knob. I had to give up title to the kingdom just to survive the first few months. Then my chancellor decides he's had enough and goes to war to restore me to the throne and wins. I end up back where I was, ruling the entire kingom, but with -600 prestige.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Man..nice. My Finland game turned into a complete shitshow when my king died leaving 4 sons to inherit, with the oldest being a complete knob. I had to give up title to the kingdom just to survive the first few months. Then my chancellor decides he's had enough and goes to war to restore me to the throne and wins. I end up back where I was, ruling the entire kingom, but with -600 prestige.

Some people recommend marrying older women as a tribal to cut down on how many sons get birthed. It's something to consider for future heirs/rulers.

Elective Gavelkind does push you to expand more so you can give counties to your non-heir sons leaving more for your heir. They might break off after succession but I've read you get claims to retake them.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    And I managed to switch over to Feudalism in my Sweden game. My levies just dropped from 12k to 4k albeit with some troop variety at least instead of just light infantry. A few vassals are grumpy but overall things seem to be going smoothly aside from wars between counts over jarldoms, often between brothers. All my held counties were ready to transition to castles and I spent a lot of money upgrade my vassals to the appropriate fortification levels in their jarldom capitol so only a few counties with no jarl and one jarldom that just wasn't upgrading its economy tech are still tribal. I was getting a ton of money from raiding via sieges and tribal rulers just don't have much to spend money on. The drastic reduction in troop levels means no more sending out raiding fleets with 3 stacks of 1.5-2k troops to hit multiple ports at once so I guess I just have to make due to looting Rome or single/two county English demenses when they repopulate loot. Finally no more Elective Gavelkind, though admittedly I could have survived another succession with it as the current ruler has only one son and the kinsman being supported over him lost a lot of support when he got imprisoned after I gave lip service support to Denmark's holy war for Holland against Francia among others until some event troops popped from my steward and they had to do something . . .

It actually looked like I could have done a lightning grab for the one county Denmark wanted but my ships were busy and the land route hit heavy resistance but I can live the the results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I managed to transition from Æthelred to Alfred easily enough. Æthelred had two daughters, which was ok because under Agnitic Primogeniture they wouldn't inherit the throne. Then I had an event pop up allowing me to take a vow of celibacy for extra piety, so obviously I jumped on that, and a while later he died fighting Vikings up north. So now Alfred's on the throne but... Æthelred's wife gives birth 6 months later. With a son. Motherfucker broke his vow of celibacy and popped an heir out from beyond the grave.

Nothing's popped up yet, but is this kid going to be a problem? According to his character sheet he has a weak claim to Wessex, but technically he's the rightful heir... right?

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    CK2 has no special provision for posthumous heirs, so you're in the clear.

In real life, it's quite likely you'd have been demoted to regent (but also next in line and in control of his household; life can be so cruel for small children).

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    In real life, it's quite likely you'd have been demoted to regent (but also next in line and in control of his household; life can be so cruel for small children).

Don't I know it. Because my preferred inheritance law is Ultimogeniture, there are often times where my 'ruler' is a child.

This usually leads to an obstacle course of assassination attempts, often leading to my tragic death. But sometimes also leading to my regent being dragged off in chains, frothing at the mouth while screaming "Why won't you just die!" which sort of makes up for it.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    So I restarted, had no concubines, had two sons, made sure my heir stayed Slavic, create Gothariki again, and my vassals aren't scheniving against my first son even though he has relations in the red for pretty much all of them. I only discovered how to raid well in the last years of Rurik's reign. All that golden Western European land I can't raid anymore because Slavic only allows neighbors to be raided.

Finally had a son from a concubine in my 40s. I'm going try to make him Catholic or maybe Orthodox.

I noticed that there was no way besides imprisonment to get rid of my second son. It is harder to plot against other people too.

I am trying to keep my vassal count low, but theres always a few bugbears after wars that I have to deal with. I was trying to keep my vassal count 5, but then a few subjugations later I had to settle for 8. I try to take away titles from any new vassals I have and spread the wealth, but then there are times where I'll take a popularity hit and I have to decide if it's worth it.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I get the "steward has sticky fingers" event. Take the option for him to pay it back (throwing a 19 stat steward in jail ain't happening) and figure, oh it'll just be like 25 gold or something. Nope. Nearly 600 gold. Needless to say many holdings were upgraded that day.

Unfortunate the father of one of my major heirs went insane and refused to let me arrange a marriage for his son. His son decided fuck that and has apparently been banging every courtier in the north country; I happen to check in on him and he has like 7 bastard children, 4 or 5 of them sons, all by different women. Thank god my current ruler had a son or I would be well and truly fucked. Sadly I'm not sure how long this current game can go anyway, unless I can take out an incredibly strong Rus, I'll never reform my religion and hence never be able to go fuedalism for some goddamn stability. The requirements to reform seem kind of insanely high considering what you lose when you convert...

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    I get the "steward has sticky fingers" event. Take the option for him to pay it back (throwing a 19 stat steward in jail ain't happening) and figure, oh it'll just be like 25 gold or something. Nope. Nearly 600 gold. Needless to say many holdings were upgraded that day.

Unfortunate the father of one of my major heirs went insane and refused to let me arrange a marriage for his son. His son decided fuck that and has apparently been banging every courtier in the north country; I happen to check in on him and he has like 7 bastard children, 4 or 5 of them sons, all by different women. Thank god my current ruler had a son or I would be well and truly fucked. Sadly I'm not sure how long this current game can go anyway, unless I can take out an incredibly strong Rus, I'll never reform my religion and hence never be able to go fuedalism for some goddamn stability. The requirements to reform seem kind of insanely high considering what you lose when you convert...

Reforming the faith is something you'd need to do eventually anyway but hard unless you're Tengri. Easier for Norse Germanic than many of the others though given that they have the option of repeatedly burning down Rome and other papal counties for moral authority. You lose the unreformed pagan bonus for your faith but aren't affected by the attrition penalty when fighting unreformed pagans of your faith.

Tribal to feudalism doesn't cost as much beyond money but you lose more. This is balanced by changing succession laws though and being able to build holdings. It feels like the big thing is to make sure you don't have enemies around you that would attack your weakened state (and have gold banked for mercs if they do).

Steam Profile
  • Options

That's good. Babby stabby didn't seem quite appropriate behavior for the soon-to-be Alfred the Great. Who actually died of disease aged 31, before he had time to do anything significant. So I guess I'll be reloading that one since being the most awesome Alfred I can be was the whole point.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »

That's good. Babby stabby didn't seem quite appropriate behavior for the soon-to-be Alfred the Great. Who actually died of disease aged 31, before he had time to do anything significant. So I guess I'll be reloading that one since being the most awesome Alfred I can be was the whole point.

CK2 giveth, CK2 also giveth Lunacy, Possession, and Disease.

I'm surprised Francia has remained as stable for as long as it did in my game. Granted it's only about 100 years but Charlemagne and a number of his heirs all came down with the Lunatic trait which isn't really conducive to holding an empire together. It's still mostly together but a decent sized Middle Francia and small East Francia have broken off and every now and then Aquataine goes independent.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Look, I'm not saying that it's an exploit or anything to put a greedy mayor in as your steward.

But it can be rewarding.
    EDDB6DB6FAF5B3B39F299368ED5FBCF1A2D9B869

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    "Great Shah of Baluchistan, the polytheist infidels of Pratihara are weak! With the Caliphate and the Ghaznavids at our side, we shall strike into the heart of the lands of Gujarat!"

"... Indeed."

"Great Shah of Baluchistan, we have rallied the banners. Soon, are spears, horses, arrows, and even elephants shall descend upon the thrice-damned non-believers! They can only hope to muster half as many of their foolish soldiers to their marched suicide against us!"

"... Indeed."

"Great Shah of Baluchistan, the Ghaznavids have forged on ahead deeper into Gujarat than anticipated! Such is their great fervor and confidence in this most holy of wars! In fact, the Caliph's men have landed in small numbers along the shore, feeling no need to bring the full might of their army to bear. A few more of them are busy taking a tour of scenic Persia. But when they arrive, OHHHH you know Allah is gonna show the Pratihara the error of their ways."

"... Indeed."

"Great Shah of Baluchistan, umm.... well... how do I put this? The Ghaznavids? Those guys sucked and died. And most of the Caliph's men have vanished into the desert and/or sucked/died almost as spectacularly. None of them are listing to your great wisdom and are wandering aimlessly rather than joining our great host in Sindh to march on the infidels. We... we're kinda boned."

"... Ind- Wait, WHAT? FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Seriously, it was essentially 50k vs. 20k. The result? Had to accept white peace after all the armies, mine included out of desperate attempt to merge up with what was left of the Ghaznavids (who it should be noted held troops up in the Himalayas for most of the war going "DERPDERPDERP", got absolutely decimated. Resulting in, naturally, me seeing a faction rise up quicker than I could suppress it. How I managed to put that down AND survive the Pratihara (well, their Gujara now, as a new dynasty took the throne after their female ruler kicked the bucket) counter-holy war is beyond me. Thankfully the succession also saw the "rise" of three OPM in Gujarat, so that'll give me some easy expansion (already took one down). Which is good... defensively I can handle the great Hindu Raj. Offensively? 22k guys plus whatever mercenaries they can afford and the holy order of 7k. They have been quite the tough nut to crack... not that I'm complaining. It's nice to have a longterm worthy foe for a change of pace.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I've loaded this up, does anyone else get really blurry font on the map screen for the larger names? On my end it looks like this at 1920x1080.
    670CB9ADE12B150833CAF7A43D9242F8EEAC8961

• Options
    edited February 2015

You could switch to a different religion! Like Judaism or Catharism. Or Islam if you feel like it. This will also allow you to spread your faith through peaceful means and create potential allies in your neighbourhood (unless they changed it, reformed pagans can't send out missionaries).

Platy on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I played a bit of a Tartu/Estonia game last night and I considered converting to Romuva since their holy sites are so close together and I didn't feel like expanding into Sibiria. But if I pick that game up again, I will probably adopt a Catholic or Orthodox heresy and championeer it from outside.

Platy on
  • Options

You could switch to a different religion! Like Judaism or Catharism. Or Islam if you feel like it. This will also allow you to spread your faith through peaceful means and create potential allies in your neighbourhood (unless they changed it, reformed pagans can't send out missionaries).

I really wish reformed pagans could send out missionaries. It would add something to reforming the faith instead of it really just being a survival mechanism.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Yeah I've always fantasized about a norse germanic europe, but it's tough to do if you can't send missionaries.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Way of Life has done some . . . interesting things to my play style.

Most of my interactions with other characters now involve seducing unmarried, Genius or Quick women repeatedly until they conceive, then moving onto another while I wait to see if the first woman births a Genius/Quick son. So far, no but I have gotten a few such daughters I've legitimized for use as future spymasters and seers. Other results get denounced. My wife has a -900 opinion malus last I checked.

Best eugenics DLC I've played.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Despite the bolded, this actually nearly did come back to bite me in the arse after all; the Lord Mayor of Essex decided to support Aethelred's son's claim and started a faction against me. So I guess although the game doesn't explicitly trigger an event when the kid is born, their claim can and will be used against you should you piss off one of your vassals. Fortunately all of my other vassals were perfectly content, so he never actually gained any support, and generously died of old age before I had to have him murdered. I'm hoping not to have anyone murdered since Alfred is basically a saint at this point; Just, Gregarious, Brave, Honest, Diligent, Quick, Zealous, and a Brilliant Strategist. Everybody loves him, basically. His only negative trait is "stressed", which is understandable what with the Viking raids every 5 minutes.

Also had some buggy shit happen; I had an event trigger where a blasphemer tries to convert me to their religion and I (automatically) have him imprisoned. The "blasphemer" was my court chaplain, and the event also improves your relationship with... your court chaplain. He didn't actually get imprisoned, but I did get the relationship boost. Huh.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Despite the bolded, this actually nearly did come back to bite me in the arse after all; the Lord Mayor of Essex decided to support Aethelred's son's claim and started a faction against me. So I guess although the game doesn't explicitly trigger an event when the kid is born, their claim can and will be used against you should you piss off one of your vassals. Fortunately all of my other vassals were perfectly content, so he never actually gained any support, and generously died of old age before I had to have him murdered. I'm hoping not to have anyone murdered since Alfred is basically a saint at this point; Just, Gregarious, Brave, Honest, Diligent, Quick, Zealous, and a Brilliant Strategist. Everybody loves him, basically. His only negative trait is "stressed", which is understandable what with the Viking raids every 5 minutes.

Also had some buggy shit happen; I had an event trigger where a blasphemer tries to convert me to their religion and I (automatically) have him imprisoned. The "blasphemer" was my court chaplain, and the event also improves your relationship with... your court chaplain. He didn't actually get imprisoned, but I did get the relationship boost. Huh.

I've had spymasters report their own plots to me. I like to imagine that they took their duties very, very seriously.

My current ruler has basically turned into Robert Baratheon with Way of Life events. When he inherited, he had a war focus and rivals and I was raiding Rome. While Duelist seems like a nice life style trait, there just aren't that many people to duel. And a good heir was more important. So I switched over to a seduction focus and started the chain breeding of bastards with 3 or so women I mentioned previously. I started getting to the age where I wasn't going to be able to raise any new son to adulthood reliably though and my son popped out his own bastard son with Genius so I figured the line would have a Genius heir soon enough anyway so I dropped the seduction focus and switched to carousing to boost diplomacy and relations with my vassals. A few years of parties and I chose one of the lifestyle traits resulting from it.

Oh, and of course there may be some level of questionable relations involved too. I noticed that my son's lover was herself a bastard with no father listed. And given her mother's age there's definitely a chance that she was one of the seduction targets of my previous ruler.

I was hesitant about picking up Way of Life at full price, but it's an extremely transformative piece of DLC, just more subtle about it. When not just you but every character that holds land is engaging in focus events, weird stuff happens.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Has anyone who picked a Hunting focus ever managed to actually kill the White Stag?

I guess I shouldn't complain. Hunting has practically become Seduction-Lite for me what with all the Quick, Attractive, Lustful Lovers I manage to pick up in the wilderness.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    watch out for stressed, it that tick off of your health can be deadly a lot earlier in life than you think and it makes you more likely to die in battle for some reason

i think there was a reddit post about tricky ways of getting characters killed off with no consequence and one of them is purposefully giving vassals Stressed. Being a ruler, a councilor, or leading an army all stack to increase your chance to get stressed

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've loaded this up, does anyone else get really blurry font on the map screen for the larger names? On my end it looks like this at 1920x1080.

So I take that silence to mean this isn't happening to anyone else?

• Options
    watch out for stressed, it that tick off of your health can be deadly a lot earlier in life than you think and it makes you more likely to die in battle for some reason

i think there was a reddit post about tricky ways of getting characters killed off with no consequence and one of them is purposefully giving vassals Stressed. Being a ruler, a councilor, or leading an army all stack to increase your chance to get stressed

It's easy enough to get rid of with time. A content courtier will sometimes cause an event to pop up that lets you remove Stressed or Depressed. More content courtiers make it more likely to happen.

Going carousing via Way of Life also has a chance to remove it apparently.

In other news, the son of my current ruler has picked up around 5 lovers. Probably more now. He has about 10 children, all but two of them bastards. Not surprisingly, he's also picked up the STD modifier.

Steam Profile
  • Options

So I take that silence to mean this isn't happening to anyone else?

No

You might want to delete the cache in the documents folder - I'm not sure if that will help, but it's effective at dealing with other graphical problems

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    You know it's a goddamn shame that Byzantium in EUIV makes me feel more like I'm actually the Byzantine Empire when I'm playing that.

CK2 should have so much more to it regarding the Byz's

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

It's easy enough to get rid of with time. A content courtier will sometimes cause an event to pop up that lets you remove Stressed or Depressed. More content courtiers make it more likely to happen.

Going carousing via Way of Life also has a chance to remove it apparently.

In other news, the son of my current ruler has picked up around 5 lovers. Probably more now. He has about 10 children, all but two of them bastards. Not surprisingly, he's also picked up the STD modifier.

Hunting, too. The dog chain has a sub-event where the dog makes you feel better.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've always fantasized about a norse germanic europe, but it's tough to do if you can't send missionaries.

Raid until you capture a female claimant of age who you can concubine (and then demand conversion from) or a child that has or will eventually inherit a claim, then educate said child to make them proper Norse Germanics.

Then, press said claims.

And I'm also fond of simply winning a Great Holy War, then passing the new kingdom off.

• Options
    Gah, how the fuck do you mass piety as a pagan? Every ruler I have gets up to around 200 and then croaks around 40 losing it all. Even though I control 3 holy sites, I'm really struggling on how to get to 750 piety to reform.

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Totes agree, and once you get that ball rolling it works, but it's hard to get started in the face of a bunch of pissed catholics who try to holy war for their land back.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gah, how the fuck do you mass piety as a pagan? Every ruler I have gets up to around 200 and then croaks around 40 losing it all. Even though I control 3 holy sites, I'm really struggling on how to get to 750 piety to reform.

Count conquests on other Pagans are a relatively safe way. It's not mentioned when you declare war, but each victory gives you 50ish piety. Subjugation also gives piety.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    So, my brother has been slowly easing me into CK2, and after 20 hours I still don't feel like I have much of a handle on what's going on. However, I just witnessed my first oh holy fuck that's the fucking coolest moment.

We did the Charlemagne start, my brother starting as Holland, and my starting as the Duke of Flanders. Charlemagne and his son end up uniting France, with six kingdom titles to his name, which becomes more like uniting Europe. My brother wants to have his own kingdom, and notices a powerful Duke under Charlemagne's son (we're calling him Carl now) wants independence. We join the faction, and start a crazy risky civil war, which we start losing dramatically, until I capture Carl in battle and execute him.

Here's the even cooler thing; Carl had NO sons and six daughters. When he died, the kingdom titles spread between his daughters. So we could then easily deal with the one daughter, truly declare our independence, and now we have the Kingdom of Holland because fuck yeah.

• Options

Count conquests on other Pagans are a relatively safe way. It's not mentioned when you declare war, but each victory gives you 50ish piety. Subjugation also gives piety.

Yeah, did some of that now. Definitely gained some piety, but my expansion is becoming limited by a much stronger Rus and now Lithuania to the South. I have two problematic holdings in their sphere of influence and they're constantly declaring war to get them back. I'm falling majorly behind on levy size and demesne improvements so I think it's time to make those holdings independent and concentrate on the homeland for awhile. At this point I'm thinking I'll just marry a catholic wife and convert, this mucking about with holy sites and piety is for the f'n birds.