As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lanyards

IsmokecoconutsIsmokecoconuts Designated DriverLancaster, PARegistered User regular
I was wondering, do we get lanyards for our badges inside the door, or should we bring our own?

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Bring one if you want to have something different than most everyone else there... otherwise they'll be plenty available.

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yea they had huge piles of them at the door, i bring my own Minecraft one anyways has a stronger clip as well.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I have one from walmart they are pretty cheap but worked great last year. You do not have to bring one but I personally wanted one just in case.

• BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    I always bring my own because they're a little flimsy and a pinch clip and if bump sometime hard enough you could lose ur badges

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Don't use the clip on the ones provided. Run the ribbon of the lanyard through the hole in the badge instead using the clip as a stopper. I can not tell you how many whiney kids (and adults) there are that have trusted the clips and lost their badge. Do a search of the forums and you will find a few posts on how to secure your badge to the lanyard.

• TonkafriendTonkafriend Registered User regular
    And often you can get super-cool ones from the booths. Last year the one for Watchdogs was really nice.

• pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    There are lanyards pretty much every where you look. But, as others have said, don't trust the clips!

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    If you ever need help on how to secure your lanyard come by Info Booth, they would be happy to help you make sure your badge is secure and won't fall of.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I would just get a lanyard there. Last I brought my own and was denied a lanyard by the enforcers. Plus, lanyards make great "I was at PAX and got this for you" free gifts.

• GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    I bring my own, I am bringing a Military Style ID Arm Band that I can just put the badge in.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    I actually found mine from PAX East 2012. Its kind of small though

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Each year we pick up a package of clear badge holders at Staples or Office Despot before PAX. If you get the 4"x6" ones they'll hold the forum badge & multiple regular badges. (great for BYOC/PAX or multiple single day badges). Stick a contact info card in behind the badge w/ your number or email in case you drop your badge. Use the tip above about threading the lanyard through the hole, don't trust the wimpy clip.

• DoctehDocteh Registered User regular
    Khaytor wrote: »
    I would just get a lanyard there. Last I brought my own and was denied a lanyard by the enforcers. Plus, lanyards make great "I was at PAX and got this for you" free gifts.

Ouch, was your lanyard similar to the one they were giving out? I usually grab a lanyard or two at each convention, usually under the watchful eye of an enforcer. Try the swag bag line next time? Usually a pile there.

• KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular

Docteh wrote: »
    Ouch, was your lanyard similar to the one they were giving out? I usually grab a lanyard or two at each convention, usually under the watchful eye of an enforcer. Try the swag bag line next time? Usually a pile there.

The lanyard i was using was from 2013. Same company, different color. It's the only time I've been miffed at an Enforcer, but I just kept walking. I took off the lanyard and picked one up from the next lanyard caddy I saw so no harm. This particular Enforcer was denying lanyards to anyone with a lanyard, no matter where it was from. In the end it didn't matter, nor did it effect my enjoyment of PAX in any way.

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Lanyard are stupidly plentiful at every PAX I have attended thus far. Gigantic bins overflowing with them, massive piles at the swag line, roll for diversity lounge has a metric shitton, and every other booth hands them out as well. I have more lanyards than I could ever reasonably be expected to use in my lifetime thanks to PAX, and I'm sure that count will increase further next weekend!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• MaxxsenseMaxxsense N. Ridgeville OhioRegistered User regular
    Get a lanyard of whatever you want and don't be afraid to fill it with buttons and/or pins.

Check out my Virtual Pin Lanyard: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Maxx_Sense
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    zeale wrote: »
    Lanyard are stupidly plentiful at every PAX I have attended thus far. Gigantic bins overflowing with them, massive piles at the swag line, roll for diversity lounge has a metric shitton, and every other booth hands them out as well. I have more lanyards than I could ever reasonably be expected to use in my lifetime thanks to PAX, and I'm sure that count will increase further next weekend!

It may seem we have a ton, but one of those full bins will last 1-2 hours during the morning rush before it needs to be refilled. We often get nervous we will run out, and having people with no lanyard is a real pain and slows down badge checking. Sometimes the messaging "if they already have one, ask if they really want one" gets mangled when it gets passed to enforcers handing them out. Basically if you need\want one, by all means take one. But if you have your own, we'd love for you to bring it and use that one.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Beker wrote: »
    It may seem we have a ton, but one of those full bins will last 1-2 hours during the morning rush before it needs to be refilled. We often get nervous we will run out, and having people with no lanyard is a real pain and slows down badge checking. Sometimes the messaging "if they already have one, ask if they really want one" gets mangled when it gets passed to enforcers handing them out. Basically if you need\want one, by all means take one. But if you have your own, we'd love for you to bring it and use that one.

I never would have guessed shortages were an issue because I had only ever seen those bins with gigantic piles, but that makes sense. I always come prepared with my own lanyard so there will be at least one spare for someone!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    Sounds like perhaps having bins full of lanyards is giving the impression that there's a near unlimited supply of them. Might be a better idea to hand them out individually if the supplies start to get low. :)

Beker wrote: »
    zeale wrote: »

That does not surprise me especially the numbers that this convention brings in.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • IsmokecoconutsIsmokecoconuts Designated Driver Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Also, is it fairly normal to wear a backpack inside the convention building? I am planning on doing so.

• smertepunktsmertepunkt Registered User regular
    Also, is it fairly normal to wear a backpack inside the convention building? I am planning on doing so.
    Yup, most people have a backpack or messenger bag of some sort.

You'd look out of place without one!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

If they don't wear a backpack, where you put your free swag?

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • caerulean_bluecaerulean_blue Registered User regular
    Got this tip from another forum user last year. Use a small zip tie to secure the badge to the metal ring on the lanyard after clipping it in.

• pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    About as common as it is to breath air and drink water.

Seriously, pretty much everyone has a bag of some sort with them...except maybe some of the cosplayers (who usuall have someone with them, carrying a bag).

Pro tip: If you have a backpack, USE BOTH STRAPS! Don't sling it over only one shoulder. You'll likely end up with a stiff shoulder/neck, especially if you're not used to carrying a bag with you all day.

pilferk on
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I have something similar to this.
    BadgeHolderPouchonLanyard_a.jpg
    I like it cause it has straps on both sides so it does not twist.
    Also it has a little zipper pouch on back to hold money, credit cards or ID's .. things like that.

It's been super reliable since the second PAX East.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png