As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey you, I saw that. Put it back! [Kids]

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric Is it true your full name is Blameless Cleric64?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My son is 17. Teenagers are old hat.
    When I mention a 17 year old and a baby, people can get very weird.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have another 7 years before I have to worry about having a teen.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Blameless Cleric Is it true your full name is Blameless Cleric64?

No we're the '32s

that's our surname

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Right on @MulysaSempronius mine is only 12 years difference but people are weird. You can see people trying to figure out if they are full siblings or whose kid is whose. Even more fun since Dad2Kat, Kat and myself are dark haired and the toddler is blond and curly. (Hint they're full siblings) c29xwai807bn.jpg
    k15mpaqkw2m6.jpg

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    ibASUxO.jpg?2

Born Friday at 13:45, a touch under 8 pounds. We haven't settled on a name for him yet.

William is a little bit unsure but very gentle, he also had this excellent conversation with his grandma:

William: Want to play football with baby.

Grandma: You will be able to, but only when he's bigger.

William: Will he be bigger... tomorrow?

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, they usually shrink a bit before they grow so probably not.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Damn you're right.

One more thing that is awesome about nearly exclusively breastfed babies? Fewer poops! Apparently it is not uncommon after the six week mark to have your little one's poop schedule to change from daily to, a couple times a week!

It is a little weird at first but so long as the pee diapers are still constant and all else is normal than it is good to go!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    i can say that eleanor did that for maybe a week where she would go a day or two without pooping, but is still exclusively breastfed at 6 months old and she poops a ton, definitely every day, usually in the morning.

Langly on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    Damn you're right.

One more thing that is awesome about nearly exclusively breastfed babies? Fewer poops! Apparently it is not uncommon after the six week mark to have your little one's poop schedule to change from daily to, a couple times a week!

It is a little weird at first but so long as the pee diapers are still constant and all else is normal than it is good to go!

Of course you have the 3-6 month (at least so far) stage of "blowouts - not just once a week". His kill list is now at around 5 onesies that were just too spackled to even contemplate cleaning.

• Options
    When he goes, he goes big. But the Bum Genius diapers so far have held their own. It has been quite impressive

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    This all just reminds me of how glad I am to never have to deal with diapers again.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    though it still boggles my mind that, somehow, kids can get poo on the _underside_ of the toilet seat. How? gravity just does _not_ work that way.

• Options
    though it still boggles my mind that, somehow, kids can get poo on the _underside_ of the toilet seat. How? gravity just does _not_ work that way.

kid gravity is something else. Normal adult gravity has no relevance.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I am going to be a dad! I was freaking out at first but now that a few weeks have passed I am freaking out even more! In a good way! BABY SNUGGLES

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gasp! Call it Walter Jr.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Gasp! Call it Walter Jr.

Clearly he already named his baby Snuggles

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Yes! Hooray Walt!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Ok name wise we've got it down to Owen and Aubrey, we just have to decide which gets to be the first name and which the middle name. Owen is my middle name so I'm biased towards that as a first name.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Does anyone with older kids ever worry about spoiling them?

My son is 10. He has his own cell phone (as much for our piece of mind as his enjoyment), a 3DS, a cheap tablet he bought himself, and a laptop that he earned by selling some of his old toys and saving birthday money.

We just did a trade in at Gamestop and for $10 out of pocket ordered him a refurbed 360 for his bedroom (along with a 2 year warranty) and I immediately started to worry that maybe having a console in his room is starting to borderline too much despite the super low out of pocket expense.

He's an only child, doesn't get an allowance so when we're out if there is something he wants we handle it on a case by case basis. We treat my niece the same way when she's with us. It's not like I go out and buy first day release games for him for full price or iPad Airs every model, but if he were to list his electronics, it would certainly look like he has a lot. Anybody else have that moment where they worry they do to much?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I think as long as you instill in your kids an appreciation for the things they have, you don't have to worry about spoiling them too much. Being spoiled isn't about having things, it's about taking them for granted and feeling entitled to it, rather than appreciative.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It really depends on the kid. I would worry if the kid's grades start to suffer, or if they are groggy from staying up late.
    Or if they break things often and expect upgrades all the time.
    If you have the money, and they handle things well, I don't see the harm.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Having the game system in the kid's room takes away the punishment of sending them to their room.

When I was a kid the computer (Commodore 64) stayed in the living room, that kept us from visiting certain BBSs until the parents were out.

Slacker71 on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It really depends on the kid. I would worry if the kid's grades start to suffer, or if they are groggy from staying up late.

My only worry has been that he feels the need to be connected more than I would like. Sometimes if he can't check his notifications for Clash of Clans or Youtube videos he feels he's missing out, and that bothers me, but that's a problem I think with kids his age in general, not specific to the amount of stuff he has. But the flip side is that he's far less TV dependent than I was at his age - to the point we're cutting cable this month.

He does tend to be a night owl during vacations, but we keep a mostly steady bedtime during school times. So far he has a way better track record with technology than my wife - he lost a cell phone during a family nature hike and had a bottle of water leak in his backpack and ruin his first DS. Other than that, everything he has he takes super good care of...and I was glad to hear he didn't really want a PS4/XBOne, just the prior generation.

And we've never been able to send him to his room as punishment. Generally our punishment is grounding from screens in general, not that it comes up terribly frequently. I suppose if we really needed to send him to his room, I could just grab the controller.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Slacker71 wrote: »
    Having the game system in the kid's room takes away the punishment of sending them to their room.

When I was a kid the computer (Commodore 64) stayed in the living room, that kept us from visiting certain BBSs until the parents were out.

So you go into their room and take the console out when you punish them.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

My only worry has been that he feels the need to be connected more than I would like. Sometimes if he can't check his notifications for Clash of Clans or Youtube videos he feels he's missing out, and that bothers me, but that's a problem I think with kids his age in general, not specific to the amount of stuff he has. But the flip side is that he's far less TV dependent than I was at his age - to the point we're cutting cable this month.

He does tend to be a night owl during vacations, but we keep a mostly steady bedtime during school times. So far he has a way better track record with technology than my wife - he lost a cell phone during a family nature hike and had a bottle of water leak in his backpack and ruin his first DS. Other than that, everything he has he takes super good care of...and I was glad to hear he didn't really want a PS4/XBOne, just the prior generation.

And we've never been able to send him to his room as punishment. Generally our punishment is grounding from screens in general, not that it comes up terribly frequently. I suppose if we really needed to send him to his room, I could just grab the controller.

Just a reminder that kids don't want Ps4 or XBoxONE because they currently can't play minecraft on them.

Edit: Look at this old fart who doesn't even know MC is out on PS4 now.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If he sold toys to buy his own tablet I'd say you have a good kid there with an appreciation for what those things cost, and wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like a lot but it also sounds like he has a lot because he takes good care of his things and is willing to put in the effort to purchase new things he wants where that's required.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Today's struggle:

"Leah, be gentle with the doggy"

"Dog, be gentle with the baby"

/repeat

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    This last weekend started out with the girls being completely nasty to each other and arguing about everything they could, so they missed out on the usual Saturday-morning homemade biscuits and had to get their own cheerios if they wanted breakfast. They were upset about that (as I hoped they would be) but hey, them's the breaks when daddy has to spend all his time sending you to your room instead of baking.

For the rest of the weekend they were wonderful. They were kind to each other, they shared (not a requirement for a lot of things, but it's still nice when they do it), and they were respectful to me and mommy. So when Sunday night rolled around and I was in a good mood from them being in a good mood, we baked some cookies before bedtime.

All of this culminated in a great moment as I was putting them to bed, when I get to use my usual "you screwed up" line on them in a positive way:

Me: "Girls, I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed the attitudes you two have had this weekend. You've been really kind to each other and to me and mommy and it's been really nice."
    Adelaide: "Thanks dad."
    Isabelle: "Is that why we made cookies tonight? Because we had good attitudes?"
    Me: "Yes. When you're kind it makes me want to do fun things with you. So how did that work out for you?"
    Adelaide and Isabelle, in unison: "Gooooood."

Victory.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My little one is teething or something, she's been a horrorshow for the past few days. Frickin teeth man.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Eleanor had her sixth month appointment today:

28 Inches
    21.14 pounds

she is a monster. 99% on both thresholds, i'm surprised she isn't eating other babies at this point.

• Options
    Does anyone with older kids ever worry about spoiling them?

My son is 10. He has his own cell phone (as much for our piece of mind as his enjoyment), a 3DS, a cheap tablet he bought himself, and a laptop that he earned by selling some of his old toys and saving birthday money.

We just did a trade in at Gamestop and for $10 out of pocket ordered him a refurbed 360 for his bedroom (along with a 2 year warranty) and I immediately started to worry that maybe having a console in his room is starting to borderline too much despite the super low out of pocket expense.

He's an only child, doesn't get an allowance so when we're out if there is something he wants we handle it on a case by case basis. We treat my niece the same way when she's with us. It's not like I go out and buy first day release games for him for full price or iPad Airs every model, but if he were to list his electronics, it would certainly look like he has a lot. Anybody else have that moment where they worry they do to much?

The question is his self-awareness. Does he understand that his situation is one that is not necessarily the norm? He seems to understand that saving and working lead to that and things have not just been given to him? Does he understand the value of a dollar, and that things are just that - things?

i worry about this too. Little guy is only three months old, but I know that it will be something I deal with in the future.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    One thing about "connectedness" is that you should periodically do a week or a month where no one is connected at all to build some perspective, as kids don't always have an awareness of how obsessed they are.

• Options
    well, I've got my youngest son's school transfer paperwork in.

god I hope he gets to switch. It would save me a TON of time and money.

It would also save my Dad a TON of time and money.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Miles is so good and takes direction so well that sometimes I forget he's not a tiny adult and doesn't understand more complicated concepts.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We've definitely had that problem with our 4 year old. She started talking so early and so well that we forget that her brain and emotions can't always keep up with her mouth. My frustration over that has definitely led to some of my worst parenting memories, yelling at her over something trivial and then being horrified to my core at the look of confusion and hurt on her face.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Mine can be so incredibly disobedient, it's astonishing. Perfectly simple and straightforward directions and it's like he can't even hear me.

• Options
    Mine just keep getting sick. It's been non-stop the last couple weeks.

This discussion has been closed.