As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    anyone figure out what that one screen name and password scribbled on one of the walls is for?

AHH! on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Centipeed wrote: »
    So, here's a list (Help me add to it) of questions that need answering. Spoilered just in case.
    How is Black Mesa and Aperture related.

As for this question,
    There are a few slideshows being shown in an office that make it look like Aperture Sciences and black mesa are rivals, but Black mesa seems to be getting all the good stuff with little work involved. I have no idea what this stuff is, but it seems like they were competitors and thats about as far as I understood
    Aperture Science is the comedy relief of the underground research world.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, here's a list (Help me add to it) of questions that need answering. Spoilered just in case.
    Who are you.
    Where is everyone else.
    Who wrote all that stuff on the walls and helped you get out.
    What was the deal with the ending sequence that shows all the orbs turning on around the cake.
    -I think a test subject; like one of the people in the Cube movies
    -Computer says it killed most people with neurotoxin, then they installed the morality core. I'm guessing survivors left, leaving behind those clues to get out
    -Black Mesa and Aperture are both contractors, building various things for the government. Apparently Black Mesa does better than Aperture (check out the powerpoints in some of the meeting rooms)
    -What I said above
    -I'm still alive, and the wasn't a lie

tehmarken on
  • AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought the cake part was a dream because you pass out at the end

AHH! on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

As for this question,
    There are a few slideshows being shown in an office that make it look like Aperture Sciences and black mesa are rivals, but Black mesa seems to be getting all the good stuff with little work involved. I have no idea what this stuff is, but it seems like they were competitors and thats about as far as I understood

Can anyone post those story related textures?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

As for this question,

Can anyone post those story related textures?

I only have the one.
    aperture.jpg

Further thoughts

Basically the rest of the slideshow is about how Black Mesa usually gets a lot of no-bid and selective bid contracts and aperture science doesn't. However looking at the slides there's one showing aperture science filling in like 10-20x as many bid contracts, and giving the example it might suggest that the AI is basically most of aperture science.

Rook on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    as the song indicates: i'm still alive. those orbs turning themselves on are rather similar to the cores glados was made up of.
    another theory floating around the net is that the bringyourdaughtertowork day ended up with glados kidnapping the children and then making use of them in these tests.
    black mesa can't help you because black mesa got vapourised by a nuke.
    it's all very compelling stuff, wish there were more story related items ingame

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tehmarken wrote: »

-Computer says it killed most people with neurotoxin, then they installed the morality core. I'm guessing survivors left, leaving behind those clues to get out
    There is a red phone in the room with the AI.

This was a phone for the person who was meant to watch the AI and ring in when it started going crazy.

It obviously didn't work.

Someone needs to make a CAKE shaped like a COMPANION CUBE!

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    tehmarken wrote: »

There is a red phone in the room with the AI.

This was a phone for the person who was meant to watch the AI and ring in when it started going crazy.

It obviously didn't work.

Someone needs to make a CAKE shaped like a COMPANION CUBE!
    Phone sex at work strikes again.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, that was amazing, and I still haven't done commentary or the advanced maps.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i could use a hint on level 19
    So, I fell into a "pit" and pistons closed overhead. There are 3 doors with turrets behind them. Is this a place I'm not even supposed to go to? Or is there actually a way out. The only thing I'm getting so far is the crane behind one of the doors...

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, I fell into a "pit" and pistons closed overhead. There are 3 doors with turrets behind them. Is this a place I'm not even supposed to go to? Or is there actually a way out. The only thing I'm getting so far is the crane behind one of the doors...
    That crane. Look up.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
    edited October 2007
    shoot under the first gun. when the 2nd door opens, open portal2 under that gun. they'll infinityfall and topple. same for the third gun.

evilthecat on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Wonderful game, most beautiful ending I've ever seen and the robot is my all-time favourite villain.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    yeah, i dispatched the turrets no problem. it was the exit that had me stumped.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    [...]and giving the example it might suggest that the AI is basically most of aperture science.
    If you take the credits song at face value (as I have), the AI is Aperture Science. Or, rather, it is carrying on the work of Aperture Science, having killed almost everyone prior to the events of Portal.

Early in the credits sequence, GlaDOS says "For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead; but there's no sense crying over every mistake...", which likely refers to the gassing of the science team. GlaDOS, being one of those classic AI-gone-bonkers, kills off Aperture Science and later understands that it was, perhaps, a bit of a mistake. But, GlaDOS reasons, no sense crying over spilt milk, so she continues Aperture's work in the employees' absence.

"When the science gets done, and you make a neat gun..." suggests that when GlaDOS went loopy, Aperture Science was in the process of finalising the portal device. This would account for the test facility... or, most notably, the partially (and fatally: see the flame pit when chamber 19 comes to an abrupt end) incomplete test facility. GlaDOS takes on the task of finishing the portal device, and the game starts in proper when GlaDOS comes to the final hurdle, the live testing. GlaDOS runs the player, who she genuinely cares about (in her totally whacko "I'm going to throw you against these sentry guns used for testing military automatons because I love you, I made you a cake!" way) through the incomplete test chambers, for science and, through her bizarre reasoning, the good of all of us (likely, all of Aperture Science).

GlaDOS is distressed when the player attempts to escape the facility, not because it compromises her testing, but because she loves the player. She is, however, batshit insane and equates the player escaping the fiery death GlaDOS has expected as her love being thrown back in her face. Though GlaDOS is heartbroken, she forgives the player for being a mean bitch and annhilating Aperture Science; the portal device has passed its testing procedure and GlaDOS has finished her work, for the good of all of us!
    evilthecat wrote: »
    black mesa can't help you because black mesa got vapourised by a nuke.
    GlaDOS says Black Mesa can't help you because GlaDOS, being the Aperture Science AI, considers Black Mesa to be her rivals and mocks their shitty, silly science. If you read the slideshow presented in a boardroom towards the end of the game, you can see for yourself the anti-Black Mesa, pro-Aperture spiel that GlaDOS has adopted.

Mumblyfish on
    edited October 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    Wonderful game, most beautiful ending I've ever seen and the robot is my all-time favourite villain.

LIES!
    it isn't a villain though. it makes you cake and invites your best friend, the box.
    YOU, you murderous SOB, killed the only guest and then proceed to kill the chef.

evilthecat on
    edited October 2007
    PotU wrote: »

LIES!
    it isn't a villain though. it makes you cake and invites your best friend, the box.
    YOU, you murderous SOB, killed the only guest and then proceed to kill the chef.
    Yeah, okay, no villain, but still my favourite.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited October 2007
    yeah, i dispatched the turrets no problem. it was the exit that had me stumped.
    push the hook in the left hole away, portal up.

evilthecat on
    edited October 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    [...]and giving the example it might suggest that the AI is basically most of aperture science.
    If you take the credits song at face value (as I have), the AI is Aperture Science. Or, rather, it is carrying on the work of Aperture Science, having killed almost everyone prior to the events of Portal.

Early in the credits sequence, GlaDOS says "For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead; but there's no sense crying over every mistake...", which likely refers to the gassing of the science team. GlaDOS, being one of those classic AI-gone-bonkers, kills off Aperture Science and later understands that it was, perhaps, a bit of a mistake. But, GlaDOS reasons, no sense crying over spilt milk, so she continues Aperture's work in the employees' absence.

"When the science gets done, and you make a neat gun..." suggests that when GlaDOS went loopy, Aperture Science was in the process of finalising the portal device. This would account for the test facility... or, most notably, the partially (and fatally: see the flame pit when chamber 19 comes to an abrupt end) incomplete test facility. GlaDOS takes on the task of finishing the portal device, and the game starts in proper when GlaDOS comes to the final hurdle, the live testing. GlaDOS runs the player, who she genuinely cares about (in her totally whacko "I'm going to throw you against these sentry guns used for testing military automatons because I love you, I made you a cake!" way) through the incomplete test chambers, for science and, through her bizarre reasoning, the good of all of us (likely, all of Aperture Science).

GlaDOS is distressed when the player attempts to escape the facility, not because it compromises her testing, but because she loves the player. She is, however, batshit insane and equates the player escaping the fiery death GlaDOS has expected as her love being thrown back in her face. Though GlaDOS is heartbroken, she forgives the player for being a mean bitch and annhilating Aperture Science; the portal device has passed its testing procedure and GlaDOS has finished her work, for the good of all of us!
    you don't really *know* if aperture science ended with the gassing or the 7 year war. it makes a difference considering the timeline. the way i see it, the events at blackmesa ended aperture once and for all..

double posts, balls, sorry D:

evilthecat on
    edited October 2007
    I also loved the way the turrets talked.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aperture Science can't have ended with just the gassing, as someone had to install that morality ball after said gassing.
    Also Re: Mumleyfish's explaination
    of the AI and it's love for the PC Does that make it a lesbian AI?

edit: Eh, I'm a fool, and can't seem to get teh spoiler tags in the right place. Second try.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    that better not be a spoiler jobastion

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2007
    Uhm, not really a spoiler, I guess.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My god, I just started unlocking it and the download is at 99% going absurdly slow. 2 KB/s? gg Steam.

Zek on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    AHH! wrote: »
    anyone figure out what that one screen name and password scribbled on one of the walls is for?

It's for the www.aperturescience.com website.

Peewi on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I'm missing something painfully obvious on level 19
    I'm in the room that comes pretty soon after you have to deal with 3 sentry bots that are revealed by sliding wall panels. There's a little crawl-space that doesn't seem to have anything worthwhile in it and in the main area there's writing on the wall that says "over here" and points up at the bottom of a platform that I need to get on.

I saw that the panel that opens when you come in is a bit angled so I tried getting some momentum and jumping the gap but it just shoots me straight up. The hell am I meant to do?

FrylockHolmes on
  • falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this game is fucking made of win

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aperture Science website spoilers
    If you log in using the username and password found in the game, it's possible to access a history of Aperture Science. It's rather funny.

Peewi on
    edited October 2007
    I'm in the room that comes pretty soon after you have to deal with 3 sentry bots that are revealed by sliding wall panels. There's a little crawl-space that doesn't seem to have anything worthwhile in it and in the main area there's writing on the wall that says "over here" and points up at the bottom of a platform that I need to get on.

I saw that the panel that opens when you come in is a bit angled so I tried getting some momentum and jumping the gap but it just shoots me straight up. The hell am I meant to do?
    no its that panel. portal the panel and the floor, while dropping portal the floor again, the momentum should throw you onto that bit sticking out.

evilthecat on
  • Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD

tl;dr - Companion Cube Toy!

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:03 PM
    To: Gabe Newell
    Subject: Portal - Feedback

Dear Mr. Newell,

(*Insert feedback here, blah blah etc*)

Finally, I would love to see a companion cube toy be made and available in the Valve store.

Thank you.

Oz

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:08 PM
    To: 'Oz Mills'
    Cc: Portal; Jason Holtman
    Subject: RE: Portal - Feedback

Thanks, Oz, for the thoughtful and detailed feedback. I also would like a companion cube toy on the Valve store (hint hint Jason).

Gabe

RE: Portal - Feedback

They've been in production for two months; they'll be here in time for holidays. Thanks for feedback, Oz.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited October 2007
    that's pretty cool!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need some help on what I think is the last level.
    I push a button, a large tile comes out and angles itself, i dart to the side, fall down and get thrown across the room, picking up a cube. Now what? I can't get back without getting shot up.

Charles Kinbote on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

no its that panel. portal the panel and the floor, while dropping portal the floor again, the momentum should throw you onto that bit sticking out.

Thanks for the help, I was messing around with that and managed to somehow do it by accident

FrylockHolmes on
    edited October 2007
    Holy hell, did Gabe seriously answer in five minutes?

Fuck!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    Pretty fucking fantastic email.

That's pretty fucking fantastic.

Centipeed on
    edited October 2007
    I push a button, a large tile comes out and angles itself, i dart to the side, fall down and get thrown across the room, picking up a cube. Now what? I can't get back without getting shot up.

which mission is that?
    if its long into "mission 19" then post a screenshot if possible or describe.

evilthecat on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, the turret dialogue is goddamn creepy.

But awesome.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Actually, might not be the last level.
    just used portals to climb a bunch of staggered platforms, then came into this room, where I push a button and an area opens that allows me to get out and get my ass shot. I think it's the level right after companion cube.

Charles Kinbote on
  • rnoosernoose Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i'm stuck on stage 15, i honestly don't know what to do on this part:

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testchmba100001vi8.jpg

uh nm i just beat it after a good 30 minutes messing around in that room, i still don't even know how

rnoose on
This discussion has been closed.