As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's a hole in the wall. A Portal.

• NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    In one of the early momentum tests, after a particularly long and fast angle-jump Herr Computer goes "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee [bzzt]"

I just busted a gut at that, it sounded so silly

Then I was later rendered emo and depressed by weighted faithful companion cube and the cheery turrets :(

Can't wait to finish 19 tonight and look at the challenges/bonus levels :D
    Congratulations. You are the fastest a test subject has ever disposed of his faithful companion cube.

NotASenator on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lardalish wrote: »
    MOOOOOOMENTUM
    Well, I figured that, but I cant seem to get enough. I put the portal over the door, thinkin Ill shoot over to that lower room but when I put the other portal on that floor and jump in I dont go far enough. I hit the wall just under the floor of that room. Man, I feel retarded for not getting this, cause the rest of it wasnt so bad, awesome, but not too hard.

I hope I'm thinking of the right test here
    That won't work. Look to your left from where you enter the room, there's a button on a high, thin pillar. Get up to press that with a portal, see what it does, and you can figger it out from there.

Ledneh on
    edited October 2007
    MOOOOOOMENTUM
    Well, I figured that, but I cant seem to get enough. I put the portal over the door, thinkin Ill shoot over to that lower room but when I put the other portal on that floor and jump in I dont go far enough. I hit the wall just under the floor of that room. Man, I feel retarded for not getting this, cause the rest of it wasnt so bad, awesome, but not too hard.
    Isn't there a button there?

NotASenator on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok, I just didn't see that that was a button. So yeah, soon as I get the timing right I can get this. thanks guys.

Lardalish on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MOOOOOOMENTUM

The wall panel that opens up - the way you came in . .. ?

Look at the angle it is at.

Next spoiler straight up gives it away.
    Assuming you have the platform moving. Go across to the button on the lower room using the moving platform. Make sure you have a portal exit back where you started, press the button to open the angled wall panel. Go back through your exit portal, then slap another exit portal on the face of the wall panel that is now angled upwards. Jump down to that ledge on the left as you came into the room and fire an entrance portal. Boom. Momentum, and angle.

Ok i guess my spoiler is useful for the part after you press that thing. - So it's there if you get stuck again.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I just used my levitation powers.

NotASenator on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay, I'm near the end and got stuck...
    I'm behind the scenes and have to get through a small vent just after the rocket turret. I've already blasted holes into the tube, but I can't get up into the tube. How do I tube myself?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    SoulGate wrote: »
    I'm behind the scenes and have to get through a small vent just after the rocket turret. I've already blasted holes into the tube, but I can't get up into the tube. How do I tube myself?
    Did anything fall out of the tube? Something that my boost you someplace you need to go?

NotASenator on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Did anything fall out of the tube? Something that my boost you someplace you need to go?
    Yup, a cube. I've tried everything from standing on the cube and jumping through portals, and that didn't work. I even went as far as to try to do a portal loop in the red room beside the tube to build momentum to get into the tube. for some reason, I just can't get into it. :(

Edit: Fuck, disregard, I'm being overly complicated.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DAMMIT.

I have to wait until I get my 360... I hate having friends who only have 360s...

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited October 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Yup, a cube. I've tried everything from standing on the cube and jumping through portals, and that didn't work. I even went as far as to try to do a portal loop in the red room beside the tube to build momentum to get into the tube. for some reason, I just can't get into it. :(

Have you considered the possibility that you are trying to enter the wrong thing?

EDIT: Oh, ok, cool

NotASenator on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man, Episode 2 was so great.

So very great

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    gonna start episode 2 later

Portal was a fucking rad game.

awesome setting and the computers say the darndest things

AHH! on
  • NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Holy shit Portal was fucking amazing.
    Couple of things:
    I thought that the story was really, really good. It's sparse, but I was totally fascinated by this idea that there are people who couldn't figure out how to get out and started living in the walls, going insane. There was a nice juxtaposition of the hyper-sterilized science environment and the grungy behind-the-scenes environment. Subtle, and nicely done.

I need the Staying Alive song as an MP3.

I loved it.

How can someone make a map for it? I'd like to try my hand at making some crazy puzzles!

Also I really really really want some kind of Monsters, Inc mod, putting portals inside doors that fly around on tracks.

Neelix on
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On a scale of 1 to 10, these spoilers are proving to be a ridiculous temptation for those of us who haven't been able to play yet.

I am happy to hear the game lived up to its hype--albeit shorter than expected.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On a scale of 1 to 10, these spoilers are proving to be a ridiculous temptation for those of us who haven't been able to play yet.

you can't present us with a scale and then abandon it. give me a rating damnit.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On a scale of 1 to 10, this statement has nothing to do with a scale of 1 to 10.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited October 2007

It was actually longer than I expected.

But I didn't expect a full game. I think people who say it was shorter than they expected are stupid or uninformed.

NotASenator on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Basically, the combine advisors in Ep2 are the brainbugs from starship troopers. But they can also fly. Awesome.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Ok, I just beat it, and even though this isnt a real spoiler, Ill spoiler it just for safetys sake.
    Jonathan Coulton is a god. For those who dont know, he's the one who did that song at the end. Man, that whole game was pretty amazing. I think my favorite part was the behind the scenes because of the computer just calling you an idiot. I loved it when it said there was no more cake, they ate it all.

Also: How legal is it to pull a song out of a game you purchased? I wouldnt think there would be a problem, but hell, I dont need to be assraped by a large company.

Lardalish on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This game has the best Boss and ending of all time ever!

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • MatatatMatatat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love the computer in this game so much
    "You're completely unlikeable, yep, it says it right here in your file

Your file also said you were adopted"
    The song was so great too, I found the mp3 over on G&T
    I'm not even angry
    I'm being so sincere right now
    Even though you broke my heart and killed me
    and tore me to pieces
    and threw every piece
    into
    a fire

Matatat on
    edited October 2007
    Matatat wrote: »
    I love the computer in this game so much
    "You're completely unlikeable, yep, it says it right here in your file

Your file also said you were adopted"
    The song was so great too, I found the mp3 over on G&T
    I'm not even angry
    I'm being so sincere right now
    Even though you broke my heart and killed me
    and tore me to pieces
    and threw every piece
    into
    a fire

Man, and I went the hard way and pulled it out of the game.

Lardalish on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I'm missing something painfully obvious
    I'm in the room that comes pretty soon after you have to deal with 3 sentry bots that are revealed by sliding wall panels. There's a little crawl-space that doesn't seem to have anything worthwhile in it and in the main area there's writing on the wall that says "over here" and points up at the bottom of a platform that I need to get on.

I saw that the panel that opens when you come in is a bit angled so I tried getting some momentum and jumping the gap but it just shoots me straight up. The hell am I meant to do?

FrylockHolmes on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, that was awesome. Its ben a while since I found a game genuinely funny.

I want more.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I can't stop listening to the song.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Its awesome.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Kepp on trying till you run out of cake.

I want to hug the computer. I'm not sure what this says about me.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I loved it when the computer told you not to touch the ball thing at the end.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this song is awesome by the way

Raneados on
    edited October 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    I loved it when the computer told you not to touch the ball thing at the end.

That whole bit was crazy. though I felt bad about the second one. It was being so nice to me. "Hello! I recognise you from the testing! Are you coming back?"

:D

For the people who are still alive.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Raneados wrote: »
    this song is awesome by the way

It is indicative of the awesomeness of the game.

Help me.

The song is on repeat, and I don't want it to end.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Hahaha, I know!

But I want to finish HL2 so I can play Lost Coast and Ep. 1 so I can play Ep. 2.

Okay, this is the last time.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    lost coast takes like 10 minutes and has nothing to do with the story

PiptheFair on
    edited October 2007
    :whistle:

And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time,

:whistle:

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Look at me still talking when there's science to do

That's my favourite part.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited October 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    Look at me still talking when there's science to do

That's my favourite part.

That was perfect. She was singing that line as your post loaded.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Oh god, it started again.

Okay, last time really now.

I love her voice so much.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited October 2007
    And when you're dead I'll be still alive.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2007
    That song has given me a new title/location.

Lardalish on