As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    So, my brother has been slowly easing me into CK2, and after 20 hours I still don't feel like I have much of a handle on what's going on. However, I just witnessed my first oh holy fuck that's the fucking coolest moment.

We did the Charlemagne start, my brother starting as Holland, and my starting as the Duke of Flanders. Charlemagne and his son end up uniting France, with six kingdom titles to his name, which becomes more like uniting Europe. My brother wants to have his own kingdom, and notices a powerful Duke under Charlemagne's son (we're calling him Carl now) wants independence. We join the faction, and start a crazy risky civil war, which we start losing dramatically, until I capture Carl in battle and execute him.

Here's the even cooler thing; Carl had NO sons and six daughters. When he died, the kingdom titles spread between his daughters. So we could then easily deal with the one daughter, truly declare our independence, and now we have the Kingdom of Holland because fuck yeah.

This sort of thing? It's why CK2 is pretty much the best game ever.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've loaded this up, does anyone else get really blurry font on the map screen for the larger names? On my end it looks like this at 1920x1080.
    670CB9ADE12B150833CAF7A43D9242F8EEAC8961

So I take that silence to mean this isn't happening to anyone else?

No

You might want to delete the cache in the documents folder - I'm not sure if that will help, but it's effective at dealing with other graphical problems

I appreciate the suggestion!

I finally figured it out, and wanted to post the resolution of the problem in case anyone here runs in to it again. It was a bit of an endeavor, as every Google search gave me people complaining about text being unreadable at certain resolutions (it doesn't scale). I tried messing with all the settings, which takes a while since you have to restart each time, but no luck. I tried clearing caches and deleting various files followed by a cache verify through steam but no luck there either. After digging around in the control center for the video card, I noticed a setting was changed from default.

It turned out to be mipmapping. Apparently ati/amd cards will sometimes change mipmapping from quality to performance (maybe after updating?), and it causes this problem. There is a thread about it on the paradox support forums, but unfortunately that's private and hidden from Google searches.

OK.

My current game has more of why CKII is the best.

I'm playing as a badass queen Eudoxia of Serbia, under the Byzantine Empire. She gets the nickname "Ironsides", and she decides to live up to the name by conquering the Pagan tribes to the north. In the span of about twenty years, she takes about twenty, twenty-five provinces. She's a total military badass, even if she can't take the field herself. Life is good. One of her daughters is coming along fantastically with good traits, so she's made the heir. And then there's an assassination attempt. She survives it, but she's unable to survive the next one. She's murdered by a nearby Duke, who seems to have done it because he could.

The daughter, also named Eudoxia, inherits. She's all positive traits. Humble, brave, just, patient. She gains shy and chaste during her education, while she bides her time, waiting for the chance to strike back. She turns 16, and she turns her eye on the man who murdered her mother. The problems: High Crown Authority is in place, so she can't just attack him. And his intrigue is really high, and his court is really small. Bribes won't work to turn his court. There's just one option: she takes the Seducer focus, marries a distant cousin, and goes to work on seducing the vassals of the Duke who killed her mother. It's still not enough, even with his vassals in her... pocket. Meanwhile, her own realm is shaky. She's a young woman, new to the throne. At this point, she's long since lost Chaste and Shy, so she seduces her most powerful vassals. The Emperor turns his attention to her, and not in a good way, spreading vile rumors about her. She's a master seductress as this point, and she turns her wiles on him too. With her position secure, she turns her attention back on trying to avenge her mother. She marries off cousins into the man's court, and brings them into the plot. It's still not enough, and the Duke is getting older - soon, he might die of old age, and for all that she's done, for all that she's sacrificed, her mother might yet go unavenged. She earns the nickname the Wicked.

And then, the Emperor unexpectedly died.
    9D765B7AA44D86201C1D9902771722A1EDBCD5D9

THE DAY OF RECKONING IS NIGH.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    OK.

I'm playing as a badass queen Eudoxia of Serbia, under the Byzantine Empire. She gets the nickname "Ironsides", and she decides to live up to the name by conquering the Pagan tribes to the north. In the span of about twenty years, she takes about twenty, twenty-five provinces. She's a total military badass, even if she can't take the field herself. Life is good. One of her daughters is coming along fantastically with good traits, so she's made the heir. And then there's an assassination attempt. She survives it, but she's unable to survive the next one. She's murdered by a nearby Duke, who seems to have done it because he could.

The daughter, also named Eudoxia, inherits. She's all positive traits. Humble, brave, just, patient. She gains shy and chaste during her education, while she bides her time, waiting for the chance to strike back. She turns 16, and she turns her eye on the man who murdered her mother. The problems: High Crown Authority is in place, so she can't just attack him. And his intrigue is really high, and his court is really small. Bribes won't work to turn his court. There's just one option: she takes the Seducer focus, marries a distant cousin, and goes to work on seducing the vassals of the Duke who killed her mother. It's still not enough, even with his vassals in her... pocket. Meanwhile, her own realm is shaky. She's a young woman, new to the throne. At this point, she's long since lost Chaste and Shy, so she seduces her most powerful vassals. The Emperor turns his attention to her, and not in a good way, spreading vile rumors about her. She's a master seductress as this point, and she turns her wiles on him too. With her position secure, she turns her attention back on trying to avenge her mother. She marries off cousins into the man's court, and brings them into the plot. It's still not enough, and the Duke is getting older - soon, he might die of old age, and for all that she's done, for all that she's sacrificed, her mother might yet go unavenged. She earns the nickname the Wicked.

I'm guessing the empire was using Elective succession? Having all the electors love you is probably handy for that.

I've wanted to do a serious Byzantine game at some point but admit that dealing with Seljuks on top of all those vassals is a bit overwhelming.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    OK.

I'm guessing the empire was using Elective succession? Having all the electors love you is probably handy for that.

I've wanted to do a serious Byzantine game at some point but admit that dealing with Seljuks on top of all those vassals is a bit overwhelming.

Yep, elective succession.

After the Emperor was seduced, I'm guessing he named me as his heir. I've been playing the long game of putting my family everywhere, and they probably switched their votes to me, plus the dukes I seduced probably did as well. Getting into the purple was completely unexpected, and not at all what I was trying to do this game.

But I'll avenge my mother, and see where this Greek tragedy takes me.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I found Georgia to be a fun 866 start. You're close enough to the byzantine to take an interest in the craziness and vote on stuff but don't have to swear fealty if you don't want to be under crown authority. There's plenty of tribal provinces to take over and build castles on with varying religions so starting a holy war doesn't invite a mob. Armenia is a good buffer zone between you and the Abbasids and an instant ally because you're the same dynasty.

TIFunkalicious on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    So is it ever possible to take more than one county in a single war? I've got claims on all of England right now, but I'm having to slowly wear down what's left of Merica with tiny individual wars, can I not just take the whole thing in one go?

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    If you have more than one forged claim, you can "press all claims" while declaring war.
    If you enemy have different religion than you, you can start Holy War, and take whole duchy from him.
    If you play Norse, or religious head grants you the right to invade, you can take it all, as long as you have an army big enough.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Its not forged, I have de jure claims on all of England, and I don't seem to have to option to press all of those claims. It looks like I can just usurp Mercia by taking two of their three de jure counties, but ideally I'd like a quicker way.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Weirdly enough, de jure claims can only be pressed one by one. Never understood why.

So whenever I proclaim myself King of Whatever, I just bribe every de jure duke into becoming my vassals and only then start attacking whoever refused.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    "Press all claims" is not available for de-jure claims, only for the personal claims of your ruler (I thought they also had to be strong claims)

If you're already king of England, make them swear vassalage to you like WA said

If you're still king of Wessex, you can try to gain a claim on Mercia either through marriage or fabricating one for the entire duchy by placing your chancellor in the capital (this has a very low chance of success unless your chancellor has a godly diplomacy stat which vassals sometimes can have)

Try placing either your parents, your husband or wife or your heir on foreign thrones so they eventually fall into your lap - if it is a lower title than your primary one, any person whose claim you press will also immediately become your vassal upon meeting certain conditions (if the target is for example part of your de-jure territory or you're pressing the claim of one of your vassals)

I conquered most of Western Europe in a few decades during my Roman Empire campaign by landing claimants and then pressing their claims

Platy on
  • VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    The Zunbil start is absolutely brutal.

It's more brutal when you somehow make a huge kingdom and then you become a child king and the new Shia caliph declares war on you.

At least when I tried an Abyssinian/Judaism game they never lasted long enough for me to feel too invested. I came so close to reforming Zunism..

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Okay, Paradox.

You -really- need to fix your anti-pope shit.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?841644-Upcoming-Patch-2.3.4
    Hi folks!

We have decided to release one more patch before the next expansion goes live. It is going to be fairly minor, meant only to address the most annoying issues. However, the next expansion patch (2.4) is geared towards cleaning the house and will take care of myriads of old outstanding bugs and issues.

The bugs we will definitely fix for 2.3.4 are:

1. The bug with children of Popes getting a claim on the Papacy and thus becoming antipopes. We have had serious problems reproducing this issue, but after much toil we have identified one cause of the bug; children born posthumously to Popes. This should be a very rare situation though, so we are not sure if there are other ways the bug can occur.

2. The "Strategist" trait can not currently be gained. We are adding the missing events for that.

3. The "Depose Antipope" CB does not work correctly.

4. Various nerfs (distance, number of lovers, loving spouses, risk, etc) to the "Seduce" action from "Way of Life".

5. Wife upset that you have a lover - herself

6. You cannot discover spouse or concubine adultery with the "Spy On" action

These are the most pressing issues we see at the moment that we can fix with relative ease and safety.

You are welcome to use this thread to express what bugs you think are the highest priority after these ones. But before you "vote" for another bug: please make sure there is a proper bug report for it in the bug report forums! We need clear reports with steps to reproduce the bug! If you can't reproduce it, we almost certainly won't be able to either.

Thank you for your patience and assistance!

I call bullshit on issue number one. Just admit you're making a Theocracy DLC already and that's the reason there's some buggy actions regarding Popes and inheritances.

Rest of that is cool.

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Trace wrote: »
    Hi folks!

We have decided to release one more patch before the next expansion goes live. It is going to be fairly minor, meant only to address the most annoying issues. However, the next expansion patch (2.4) is geared towards cleaning the house and will take care of myriads of old outstanding bugs and issues.

1. The bug with children of Popes getting a claim on the Papacy and thus becoming antipopes. We have had serious problems reproducing this issue, but after much toil we have identified one cause of the bug; children born posthumously to Popes. This should be a very rare situation though, so we are not sure if there are other ways the bug can occur.

2. The "Strategist" trait can not currently be gained. We are adding the missing events for that.

4. Various nerfs (distance, number of lovers, loving spouses, risk, etc) to the "Seduce" action from "Way of Life".

These are the most pressing issues we see at the moment that we can fix with relative ease and safety.

You are welcome to use this thread to express what bugs you think are the highest priority after these ones. But before you "vote" for another bug: please make sure there is a proper bug report for it in the bug report forums! We need clear reports with steps to reproduce the bug! If you can't reproduce it, we almost certainly won't be able to either.

Theocracy DLC

Pleeassseeeee.

I'm tired of having to mod the Papacy or the Fraticelli papacy into an Holy Order, so I can actually play it without getting game over (and even then I need use an Immortal mod so the Pope never dies. The Papal succession mechanic also ends the game despite Holy Order succession actually working perfectly.)

Yogo on
    Papal stuff has been so on the nose regarding them -not- touching it if at all possible between updates and DLCs that it's been pretty obvious something Theocracy wise is coming down the tubes.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Norse theocracy please.

• nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Also allow reformed pagans to send missionaries, please.

camo_sig2.png
    I managed to convert most of pagan Europe to Zoroastrianism in my Persian Empire game

Would be fun if you could do that too as a reformed pagan, the game gets a bit boring when you're the only realm of your religion

My off and on Charlemagne start Sweden game actually had the Slavic faith reform so there's actually multiple realms with that reformed faith. Admittedly that's partially due to those places still using Elective Gavelkind so every time there'a succession Pomeria and Bohemia go to war. They did actually manage to win a Great Holy War against Francia when they lucked out and captured the Karling Emperor so the Warriors of Perun have a sizable territory in what was East Francia. Meanwhile Germanic holy wars and invasions against England always fail for some reason or another. I've had some success chipping away at two Welsh counties via conquest CBs and am thinking of taking Ireland given that it's still mostly county sized realms as of the early 1000s. I've tried to avoid completely wiping out other Germanic realms in Scandanavia but a few rulers having converted to Catholicism has resulted in picking up a county or two. I'd prefer to not be the only Germanic power in the game but the others still standing (Skane and Jylland) seem to do nothing but lose invasions and holy wars.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited March 2015
    You can always place claimants of your religion on different thrones - or you can conquer territory and pass it off to independent rulers (for example, establish a branch of your family in Ireland and see how they do)

If you want extra funsies, you can also reload the game as that independent realm and continue playing from there - this could potentially be very interesting as I've never seen the Slavic faith reform on its own

Platy on
    You can always place claimants of your religion on different thrones - or you can conquer territory and pass it off to independent rulers (for example, establish a branch of your family in Ireland and see how they do)

If you want extra funsies, you can also reload the game as that independent realm and continue playing from there - this could potentially be very interesting as I've never seen the Slavic faith reform on its own

I've been tempted to join some of the wars Jylland or Skane declare to help them win but the timing has always been awful or they've been after territory I want for myself. Then they somehow lose their 10kish troops in the middle of England. I think it may be more feasible to help them out after I finish taking over Wales and Ireland so it's just England and Scotland to contend with.

With Sons of Abraham, the non-Germanic pagans get their own holy orders upon reforming so the Slavs reforming fairly early on made them really powerful. It took a good amount of time before I could take the counties needed for the Jomsvikings to form because I couldn't safely Holy War without facing down the Sons of Perun who massively outnumbered my whole realm's levy output at the time. They couldn't win against Francia in their multiple Great Holy wars, but they were pretty much immune to other pagans and Francia could never hit back with all the truces.

Other unexpected things in the game so far: Seljuk apparently never managed to conquer anything as the Turks are not present past that event's trigger date. The Shia have risen up countless times but have yet to manage to actually survive their spawn event. I think the Byzantines or Francia took out Hungary before the Magyar event could trigger for it. The Muslims got kicked out of Spain by the 900s or so. Nubia and Abyssinia still are hanging around and seem to be doing well for themselves with the Muslims more interested in fighting each other apparently.

Steam Profile
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Sometimes the seljuks and timurids fail to rise because seljuk can actually die before he forms his Horde, same for Timur.

I swear that as soon as you make an empire title to go along with a kingdom title your vassals vote in ways to deliberately screw with you even with 100 opinion. I got tired of that and switched my empire to primogeniture and will do the same with the kingdom title once the jarl who thought he was inheriting over my Quick son is placated/murdered.

Steam Profile
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Elective used to be the easiest way to assure your games were won forever, now it's more trouble than it's worth most of the time. And I think that's probably for the best.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    With the changes to Gavelkind it doesn't even matter if you're running around with that most of the time.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    SLyM wrote: »
    Elective used to be the easiest way to assure your games were won forever, now it's more trouble than it's worth most of the time. And I think that's probably for the best.

It's still useful but starts to become troublesome as your realm grows. Having two titles that get voted on seems to be the tipping point.

And anything is better than Elective Gavelkind.

Steam Profile

It's been a long, long time since I tried to keep two or more titles together with elective.

By the time I hit Empire status, I've usually carved off one of the smaller kingdoms to use as a personal demesne. I hold no duke or king level titles for it, but I have all or almost all of the counties within the kingdom. That way if I ever do lose the Empire, I can just instantly create a king level title and be right back in the game.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So, here's a good one:

I'm rolling along in that Spoleto - > Lombardy + Aragon - > Holy Roman Empire game I've been banging on for a while. I conquered Venice to protect the rest of Lombardy from the influence of the Anglo-Saxon heathens who have made it their trading stronghold, persuaded the current Duke of Sicily (third since I conquered it) to adopt the Catholic faith instead of offering his loyalty to some jumped-up pretender in Constantinople, and things were looking up when the Pope died and my otherwise-useless brother took the Throne of Saint Peter and promptly called a Crusade on West Francia!

Time marches on, I occupy most of the royal lands in West Francia, and everything looks to be coasting along towards a great victory for the Catholic faith (and the Empire) when my brother dies and the idiots in the College of Cardinals promptly elect as his successor a bishop currently imprisoned by the West Francian heretics. :x

... to whom he immediately surrenders.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

It's still pretty cool you managed to make your brother Pope

It's been a long, long time since I tried to keep two or more titles together with elective.

By the time I hit Empire status, I've usually carved off one of the smaller kingdoms to use as a personal demesne. I hold no duke or king level titles for it, but I have all or almost all of the counties within the kingdom. That way if I ever do lose the Empire, I can just instantly create a king level title and be right back in the game.

I swear that at one time you had to hold onto one king title even after creating the Empire title. It's only after you mentioned this that I found I had the option of destroying the Kingdom of Sweden title. I will have to keep this in mind for the future and see if it really is holding two titles to vote for that makes all your vassals want to screw up your succession.

In any case, it's approaching 1100 in my game and I've taken over all of Wales and most of Ireland minus two counties held by Scotland. A vassal snagged about half of Brittany in a conquest but not enough for the ducal title so vassal relations there are kind of screwy. Finding new things to conquer is harder now since Scotland and England are allied and love calling in a holy order each. I did snag two counties from Scotland when they had a major rebellion that involved well over half its counties. There are still counties in de jure Scandanavia I could hit but those don't have a lot in them and tend to involve fighting every Summenesko chieftain.

The Slavics are still going pretty strong with Ruthenia and Bohemia being especially big but there tends to be a back and forth between them and the Catholics. Francia refuses to die off though the emperor has lost all but one ducal title. Lombardy only finally gave way to Italy a few decades ago and turns out to be pretty heavily Orthodox.

Steam Profile
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    It's still pretty cool you managed to make your brother Pope

Honestly, if you've reached the Kingdom level, let alone Emperor, the prestige from the family connection tends to make cast-off sons in the priesthood really strong candidates without trying to elect them all that hard!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Hi folks!

Theocracy DLC

Pleeassseeeee.

I'm tired of having to mod the Papacy or the Fraticelli papacy into an Holy Order, so I can actually play it without getting game over (and even then I need use an Immortal mod so the Pope never dies. The Papal succession mechanic also ends the game despite Holy Order succession actually working perfectly.)

I've never used any mods, but this made me immediately start wondering if I could mod in a Warhammer style Imperium. Then I saw the very first thing on the workshop was this.
    C83497F2D7089B5403CFD12E8651A2736DA2694B

steam_sig.png
  • SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hi folks!

We have decided to release one more patch before the next expansion goes live. It is going to be fairly minor, meant only to address the most annoying issues. However, the next expansion patch (2.4) is geared towards cleaning the house and will take care of myriads of old outstanding bugs and issues.educe" action from "Way of Life".

As with the majority of bugs in CK2 this makes almost perfect sense.

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
  • SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So I was trying to figure out how to take the rest of Scotland as the king of Wale/England when a crusade for Greece went off. I figured that I was bored enough and wanted to make use of my ridiculous amounts of heavy cav. Then after kicking asses and taking names my sixty year old king hears that the king of scotland is dead. His heir is his sixteen year old, attractive daughter. Now, my kings only son had died. He was looking at being succeeded by some dynastic cousins who could be generously described as... spillage. If anything could get him home from getting his war on in a timely fashion, it would be the chance to knock up his greatest foes beautiful daughter (This game makes you a monster.) to create an heir to three thrones. In true badass grampa fashion my king accidentally won the crusade smashing through a few enemy armies that got in his way. He is now kind of the king of Greece as well. Huh. Now I have the logistical nightmare of a whole kingdom on the other side of europe and getting my boy elected heir before he kicks the bucket. I gave away Greece to family, but somehow still have a few counties over there that I can't seem to give to the new king of greece? I am considering trying this a few different ways via save scumming, but if I can't manage something I may just give the boy anything he isn't set to inherit right before my ruler kicks it. ...this is the SECOND time the empire of britannia has literally fallen into my lap. Power couples are always interesting.

Squeeze on
    edited March 2015
    It looks like we're nearing the end of this thread. Does anyone have any objections to me making the new one when I get home from work tonight?

EDIT: New thread.

Shadowhope on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    my only objection is that I won't have it bookmarked anymore and will have to find it :-1:

camo_sig2.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    my only objection is that I won't have it bookmarked anymore and will have to find it :-1:

Someone shoooooould link the new one in here.

Because I'm not gonna go find it otherwise. =P

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I thought I had taken a screenshot, but I guess not...

Apparently, after tiring of the seduction perk and having a shit tonne of babies, (Get genius ladies for my sons, then seduce them), I went for the family perk. A message pops up that I love spending family time with one of my daughters....

Who died 24 years ago of pneumonia.

Interesting fact, despite fathering nearly a dozen bastards, antagonizing my wife (who I stupidly made my spymaster), my sons, and local lords, getting the lover's pox, I managed to rule until age 79, dying of old age. No attempts were ever made on my life. (After spending 75+ years on the throne. Also, I got the "Confessor" title.....