As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, February 4, 2015 - Precautions

2»

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    PA - Parenting Arcade
    Tune in next Friday when we MIGHT have a comic about video games.

How about on Friday you spare us all by tuning in to some other comic.

Sorry, my mistake for expressing anything other than praise for PA. In all their perfection.

I'll correct this behavior and never speak out against our immaculate comic overlords again, oh unbiased forum dictator.

Dude

Your complaint was not a particularly valid one. The comic before this was literally about a video game, the one before that about gaming journalism, and before that another game.

Four back and it's about cowboy hats which frankly need more comics about them anyway.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tycho wrote:
    Even imagining something bad is wrong. We are putting the finishing touches on Hell, and we got here by trying to make Heaven. Do you people ever fucking read?

Holy fuck, those three sentences hit like a ton of bricks.

I read that and thought the exact same. Why can't anyone see that trying to create a non-violent/non-imaginative paradise has created a knee-jerk bureaucracy, all the same? And if they won't read, can't they at least watch that one episode of "The Simpsons" when they tried to create a utopia out of Springfield?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeT7MzDcpeg

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    breadwolf wrote: »
    Supposedly he threatened to make his friend disappear, suggesting a clear lack of understanding in how the One Ring works. The school told his father they take all threats (including magical ones) very seriously.

Actually, the kid does seem to understand how the ring works. From the NY Daily News article
    Aiden claimed Thursday he could put a ring on his friend's head and make him invisible like Bilbo Baggins
    . I imagine that's supposed to be "friend's hand", because putting a ring on someone's head makes no sense at all. From reading a couple different articles it seems that he wasn't actually threatening his friend at all, it was rather meant as an offer of a super-power in a co-op make believe game.

Well, that context doesn't even make it sound like a threat anymore, it was an offer. Kid was trying to motherfucking share and got suspended for it.

he was tempting his friend with dark powers :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    why not just get those giant eagles to fly over and drop the damn ring into Mt. Doom?

seriously Gandalf? hires a fucking midget? to walk the whole goddamn way there? past like, 3 armies of fucking orcs and undead and shit?

Gandalf the Grey more liek Gandalf the Stupid

I know this isn't about that, but just so you know, the eagles were like, super proud and weren't just airplanes, and gandalf thought that if they did get the eagles to help, then the flying ringwraiths would find them easily because magic and that would defeat the whole purpose of sneaking in.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    why not just get those giant eagles to fly over and drop the damn ring into Mt. Doom?

seriously Gandalf? hires a fucking midget? to walk the whole goddamn way there? past like, 3 armies of fucking orcs and undead and shit?

I know this isn't about that, but just so you know, the eagles were like, super proud and weren't just airplanes, and gandalf thought that if they did get the eagles to help, then the flying ringwraiths would find them easily because magic and that would defeat the whole purpose of sneaking in.

It's been a long time since I read the Silmarillion, but if I remember right, weren't those eagles also among the various groups like the ents and most of the elves that didn't really care all that much what happened to mortal races either way?

Tossing Gandalf (a Maia - basically a god among the races of Middle Earth) the occasional solid is a far cry from putting their lives on the line for something they have spent three ages giving zero fucks about.

Hevach on
  • akula765akula765 Registered User regular

This. Everyone knows you have to suppress enemy air defense before flying transports in. Inserting a covert ops team to accomplish that instead of sending in the Wild Weasels is still a questionable decision, but not totally stupid.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    breadwolf wrote: »
    Supposedly he threatened to make his friend disappear, suggesting a clear lack of understanding in how the One Ring works. The school told his father they take all threats (including magical ones) very seriously.

Actually, the kid does seem to understand how the ring works. From the NY Daily News article
    Aiden claimed Thursday he could put a ring on his friend's head and make him invisible like Bilbo Baggins
    . I imagine that's supposed to be "friend's hand", because putting a ring on someone's head makes no sense at all. From reading a couple different articles it seems that he wasn't actually threatening his friend at all, it was rather meant as an offer of a super-power in a co-op make believe game.

Well, that context doesn't even make it sound like a threat anymore, it was an offer. Kid was trying to motherfucking share and got suspended for it.

he was tempting his friend with dark powers :P

I for one think it's good to teach kids the hard lessons early. Everyone you offer to share with is going to get all nuts about it, probably growing big and dark and stormy and babbling about the treacherous sea. Yet if you don't share with someone, they will try to kill you and get filled with arrows and/or eat all your lembas.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tycho wrote:
    Even imagining something bad is wrong. We are putting the finishing touches on Hell, and we got here by trying to make Heaven. Do you people ever fucking read?

Holy fuck, those three sentences hit like a ton of bricks.

I read that and thought the exact same. Why can't anyone see that trying to create a non-violent/non-imaginative paradise has created a knee-jerk bureaucracy, all the same? And if they won't read, can't they at least watch that one episode of "The Simpsons" when they tried to create a utopia out of Springfield?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeT7MzDcpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VR3Av9qfZc

• Trogdor6135Trogdor6135 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    akula765 wrote: »

This. Everyone knows you have to suppress enemy air defense before flying transports in. Inserting a covert ops team to accomplish that instead of sending in the Wild Weasels is still a questionable decision, but not totally stupid.

There's actually a guy who explained why Gandalf didn't take the eagles. Or at least, why it didn't appear that he did .

Trogdor6135 on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The eagles carried someone holding the ring once already. You get one, Gandalf.

• SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I liked the cartoon, but I read the Snopes article about this and it sounds like maybe it didn't happen that way at all? It seemed like it could have been true, or the parents might be making it up. Complex.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I liked the cartoon, but I read the Snopes article about this and it sounds like maybe it didn't happen that way at all? It seemed like it could have been true, or the parents might be making it up. Complex.
    Yeah, I get the feeling that the story is a lot more complicated than the humorous newsbite makes it out to be.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ObstreperousObstreperous Registered User regular
    When I was in elementary school, we used to draw pictures of monsters, and play games on the playground about fighting robots. Using the One Ring to make someone disappear? That's nothing.
    Whiners like this who throw a fit and suspend kids over things like gun-shaped pop-tarts are what's wrong with the school system these days. Well, that and all the other things...

• Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    This is as bad as the story about the kid in kindergarten who was a "hugger", and almost got charged with sexual assault for hugging a female classmate.

Yeah cuz you know, 5 year olds are all about the hugrape...

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's all about "zero liability tolerance".

• jo_blackjo_black Registered User new member
    This all happens because someone sued the school, and got an out of court settlement because it was cheaper than litigation. Maybe not that school, maybe not that 'problem,' but something like it.

For a large entity like a school district, it is safer legally and financially to back-up idiotic calls like this, rather than risk expensive lawsuit. After all, schools do not care about bad publicity, their customers usually don't have much of a choice. But a budget shortfall from a lawsuit is murder to a school district.

That doesn't make it right, or fair; but that's what it is.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

I'm no Tolkien expert, but doesn't the ring turn any non-Hobbits who touch it evil and corrupt?

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Yep, it influences beings to its dark purpose, and humans have it the worst. "absolute power" and all that...

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Not relevant to the comic, but I think it helps understand the eagle thing.

There may be NSFW ads on the bottom banner but the comic itself just has the f bomb.
    http://oglaf.com/ornithology/

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    I would have suspended the kid too.

THAT'S NOT HOW THE ONE RING WORKS, KID!

God, it's like he didn't even READ Lord of the Rings. Kids these days...

• TubeTube Registered User admin

I'm no Tolkien expert, but doesn't the ring turn any non-Hobbits who touch it evil and corrupt?

Hobbits too, it just took longer for Bilbo and Frodo because they were both pure of heart. Frodo and Gollum were both corrupted by the ring.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

It does a number on Hobbits, too - Gollum was one originally, and it messed up Frodo pretty good (remember by the end he was just going to walk back out of Mount Doom with it, the only reason it actually got destroyed was because Gollum also wanted to walk back out with it and he was clumsy). It was implied that Dwarves had some resistance to the effects of magic artifacts because they tended to hoard their baubles in big piles where they couldn't work, and they had a bad habit of losing those piles to dragons - all seven of their rings were lost this way, and they also lost a good chunk of the silmarils.

Unrelated to the reply: This whole discussion forced me to dig out the books and look this up. I was pretty close with my last post, the Eagles basically gave zero fucks about the war, along with most of the elves, all of the dwarves, and pretty much the 90% of Middle Earth that wasn't Gondor and Rohan. They've given various characters rides or rescued them several times, but usually in repayment of a favor or to secure one themselves. They'd actively refused to join any of the multiple wars against Sauron or Melkor. They've been around since the sun and moon were still on pillars, and generally felt that petty matters like the fate of the world and the battle against ultimate evil were beneath them.

Hevach on
  • the_Daktathe_Dakta Registered User new member
    I like to believe this is how it actually went down in the principle's office.

• breadwolfbreadwolf Registered User new member
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    I would have suspended the kid too.

THAT'S NOT HOW THE ONE RING WORKS, KID!

God, it's like he didn't even READ Lord of the Rings. Kids these days...

As I pointed out earlier, both Snopes and PA (because they read it from Snopes) got it wrong. The kid knows exactly how the ring works, and he said he could make his friend invisible by putting the ring on the friend's hand. Snopes just didn't read the source article that they themselves linked to :\

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Hobbits too, it just took longer for Bilbo and Frodo because they were both pure of heart. Frodo and Gollum were both corrupted by the ring.

With this in mind, it seems like the reason Gandalf didn't ask the Eagles to do it is because they weren't pure of heart, and as such would have just become corrupted by the ring like everyone else.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

With this in mind, it seems like the reason Gandalf didn't ask the Eagles to do it is because they weren't pure of heart, and as such would have just become corrupted by the ring like everyone else.

And that's how you get Deep Crows.

forumsig.png
  • iamthemonkeyheadiamthemonkeyhead Registered User regular
    Hi guys, both this comic, Precautions, and Universals are broken image links for me. Is there anywhere else I can view them? I've right clicked and viewed the image in their own tabs but still can't access them. Pls halp!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Huh, I guess I should have smelled the bullshit from this one. Turns out when a kid is in trouble with his school, he's probably not going to be totally honest with his dad about the reasons for it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Elrigo!Elrigo! Registered User regular
    I always get the idea that the US school system is not familiar with the concept of fiction.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Elrigo! wrote: »
    I always get the idea that the US school system is not familiar with the concept of fiction.

They can't legally discuss individual kids, as mentioned in the article Cambiata posted just above you, so that means that families can make up any old bollocks about why their kid was suspended, get loads of page hits on social media, and become a by-word for Political Correctness Gone Mad or whatever. By the time any details can actually be released, the public have moved on to the next sensationalist clickbait headline about how twerking gives you cancer or how Muslims got a swimming pool closed or whatever.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]