As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WiiWare Thread, in which vapour condenses into

Lave IILave II Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
This thread is brought to you via the wonderful work of toxk, Guek and Lunker. Gentlepeople one and all - whose lovely work collecting this was being missed as the thread speed along. As people keep missing stuff in the conference thread, I thought I would put it here as well. Sorry if thats presumptious.
iwata wrote:
"We've already received proposals for over 100 titles from software development companies. We've made a platform for developing software at low cost, and would like to offer a new business chance based around a battle of ideas."
- source: IGN

Announced WiiWare Titles:
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Young King and the Promised Land from Square Enix (beautiful!)
    FFCC Trailer
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WIBEUQlYhDU
    apparently will cost 1500 Wii points (£10.50)
  • Pokemon Farm from Nintendo - connects to Pokémon DS.
  • Star Solider R from Hudson - vertical shmup!!
    wws04.jpg
    wws05.jpg
    wws06.jpg
    Mojipittan Wii by Namco Bandai Games
  • Doctor Mario and Bacteria Extermination by Nintendo
    Dr. Mario
    69054945820071010125707.jpg
    154560914920071010125719.jpg
    160332263320071010125741.jpg
    152590607320071010125811.jpg
    Looks great - but feel should mention you can get it for free in the original Wario Ware.
  • JOYSOUND by Hudson/Nintendo - Karaoke game!! -
  • PLÄTTCHEN - twist 'n' paint by Bplus
  • Gravitronix by Medaverse Studios
  • Unknown Garage Games title by Garage Games
  • Eternity's Child by Luc Bernard.
  • Puzzloop for Everyone by Mitchell and Nintendo - Which is like actionloop
  • Maruboushikaku by Nintendo
  • Bomberman by Hudson
  • Table Tennis by Arc System Works
    kasan.jpg[/QUOTE]
  • Rumored - Impossible Mission by System 3
  • Rumored - California Games by System 3
  • Rumored - Last Ninja by System 3
  • Rumored - Various PlayFirst games including Diner Dash and Oasis by PlayFirst/Hudson

An aside: Other channels, which are at least downloaded through wiiware.

Check Mii Out channel video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gxbZa-EfEIo

DS Download Channel video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GckmvV2odhs[/QUOTE]

Lave II on

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I saw some of this stuff on Kotaku earlier and it sounds pretty good.

Peewi on
  • Options
    BeedleBeedle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why do Nintendo seem to have such a crush on Dr Mario? I never found it to have much depth as a puzzler. They seem to release it on every console though. But hey, I've not played it in a while, maybe I'm talking nonesense. Anyway, this is all clearly great stuff. I thought of having a DS download channel ages ago (along with very many other people I'm sure) and it will clearly be teriffic.

Beedle on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    WiiWare hits March 2008, so this gives them time to figure out a storage solution. Because if FFCC isn't over the 512mb internal storage, it's going to take a large portion of that space anyway.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder how that FFCC relates to the Crystal Bearers one.

Am I the only person for whom the most welcome announcement is Bomberman?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm all over Star Soldier when it hits.

And i need a storage solution ASAP i'm sitting at 302 blocks and i still want to pick up Paper Mario and Streets of Rage 3.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to need a storage solution long before this stuff arrives.

I have 32 blocks free.

SteevL on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am very excited for Dr. Mario. I've been hoping it would show up on the VC for a while, but if the new one has a traditional 2 player mode, I'm all over it.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This pretty much confirms a Wii Hard Drive.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also of fun note, Logitech is releasing a keyboard in Europe. I found it pretty funny today that in my giant box of keyboards I have not a single USB one. Oh well.

I'm thinking that SD card support will show up at the very least. An HD next March though, could happen.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OP needs pics of Vanillaware!
    20222_n20071011_02_wiiss_26.jpg

20222_n20071011_02_wiiss_25.jpg

20222_n20071011_02_wiiss_27.jpg

EDIT:

Wait, is this a wiiware game or not? .... actually it might not be.. the other thread lies! :P

oh well i'm leaving the images up.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    AggroChan wrote: »
    This pretty much confirms a Wii Hard Drive.

Or running of SD cards. Cheap, plentiful.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    OP needs pics of Vanillaware!

But thats not a WiiWare game is it?

Incidentally - I'm extremely excited by it. Thats exactly the kind of shit I want on my Wii.

it's beautiful

Lave II on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vanillaware looks nice!

Looks like Nintendo's getting even more of my money.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    will a wireless usb work?

I might get a new keyboard anyawy, but my wii is not in a good position to haev a wire running frmo.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »

I might get a new keyboard anyawy, but my wii is not in a good position to haev a wire running frmo.

I use a wireless USB keyboard on the Wii. It's fine.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »

As long as it doesn't require any weird-ass drivers, it should work.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some of these look cool, but did they mention any storage solutions? It's already necessary for the VC alone, but these games are going to have to be tiny to reasonably fit more than a handful of them on the flash drive.

Zek on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am tired of Miis. Miis ruined that pokemon game I wouldn't have bought.

piL on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Some of these look cool, but did they mention any storage solutions? It's already necessary for the VC alone, but these games are going to have to be tiny to reasonably fit more than a handful of them on the flash drive.

I'm sure they'll let people start using SD cards properly soon.

I mean, they fucking well better.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    piL wrote: »

The trainer game?

What was it about the miis that made you go, "I want that game." to "I don't want that game."?

It's not like it was planned as a Pokemon-proper game in the first place.

slash000 on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I meant that I wouldn't have bought it anyway, but it didn't have to be that ugly. I mean that's pretty ugly. It seems almost rude for that game to be that ugly.

piL on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    piL wrote: »

I think Miis should be in every game.

Every game.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just discussed Miis with a friend - they ruined the pokemon game for him, too. They're a neat idea but the more time has passed, the more I dislike them. Not that I hate them, but there really aren't too many usable body parts. 5 normal-looking eyes, 3 usable noses, 5 physically possible eyebrows, etc.

I want to see more games adapting Miis to a different art style.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    they need a mii channel update with a few more pages of variations, clothes, accesories and whatnot

it'd be pretty simple and easy to do....

Guek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    they need a mii channel update with a few more pages of variations, clothes, accesories and whatnot

it'd be pretty simple and easy to do....
    It could potentially mess up every game that includes Miis. I mean, I don't know exactly how it's implemented, but for example Mario Strikers has little 2D pictures of your Mii people (as does WarioWare). Are those generated by the console and sent to the game as images, or does the game generate the pictures? What if it's told to draw a 2D version of mustache #57?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    15 bucks for a final fantasy game? If it's anything like the previous titles like FF12 (which took me 105 hours to beat...) that's like 7 hours of RPG on the dollar. This is nothing but welcome news. :D

Pokemon farm reminds me of the elebits room. I hope there is more to do than just look at them bump into each other.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm pretty sure the System 3 Epyx remakes aren't getting a WiiWare release now, since at least one of them has been released in brick-and-mortar stores.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    KuranesKuranes Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    You have to pay for that pokemon channel? It looked so simple I thought it was just going to be some kind of free download, a reward for the people who bought diamond/pearl. I thought it was going to be like the mii channel, just with pokemon in it doing random pokemon things.

It's just a matter of time until they announce a storage solution. I've got around 800 blocks left (thank you annoyingly huge internet channel update) on my wii and I still have yet to get Sin and Punishment and SMB2/Lost levels.

Oh yeah, long time lurker, first time poster, etc.

Kuranes on
    Wii - 1627 9396 2070 0031
    Strikers - 403834 509632
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    MJ wrote: »
    15 bucks for a final fantasy game? If it's anything like the previous titles like FF12 (which took me 105 hours to beat...) that's like 7 hours of RPG on the dollar. This is nothing but welcome news. :D
    If you watch the video, it does not look like an RPG. There is no fighting shown at all. There is, however, a young king who is helping to build his city - you see some buildings going up. So far it's a complete ripoff of Project O which Squeenix must be jealous of. If anything, the game reminds me most of MySims.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MJ wrote: »
    If you watch the video, it does not look like an RPG. There is no fighting shown at all. There is, however, a young king who is helping to build his city - you see some buildings going up. So far it's a complete ripoff of Project O which Squeenix must be jealous of. If anything, the game reminds me most of MySims.

Yes, I watched the trailer. Then I saw a pic of a battle somewhere though, so it must've been the gamecube game. A 15 dollar city building game sounds less apealing now. :/

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any rumblings as to the cost of that Pokemon rancher thing? Or how about what the Hell it does?

FF:CC City builder has very much caught my interest.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1211096_1124.html?ref=rss

Some concept art on the characters for "Ping Pong"

kasan.jpg

Lave II on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am thinking I'd prefer a usb hard drive to SD cards. It shouldn't be that hard to whip out a matching hard-drive, that comes with a new stand that will hold both the hard drive and the Wii. Make it 40gb, priced around $50-60, and they'll sell.

I am not too keen on having stacks of labeled SD cards, but I could deal with it, I guess.

Also, with the 'Check Mii Out' channel, I figured a Mii firmware update was inevitable. I am thinking that the current games use the Miis from the system, as opposed to creating them in game. That seems like it would be pretty silly, to esentially create the Miis twice.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hope one of the Wii Ware titles is a media player. Like WinAmp for Wii.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ooooh, thats a good idea. Even though I've xbmc I would be all over "WiiAmp." Especially if you could fast forward by "winding" the wiimote.

A replacement stand with a hard drive in it would work. Good idea, but I would focus on SD cards, and let the HD be a "extreme" option, for the big spenders.

Lave II on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only problem with a hard drive would adding it to the console and keeping it's sleek and sexy image. A replacement stand is a good idea, but the ability to add an extra 4 megs via and SD card would be best.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Ooooh, thats a good idea. Even though I've xbmc I would be all over "WiiAmp." Especially if you could fast forward by "winding" the wiimote.

A replacement stand with a hard drive in it would work. Good idea, but I would focus on SD cards, and let the HD be a "extreme" option, for the big spenders.

I just think it would be nicer having the hard drive integrated more, instead of having to switch out SD cards, the hard drive could just add on to the Wii's system memory.

I think I'd qualify as one of the 'big spenders'. My list of VC Games:
    F-Zero
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Gunstar Heroes
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Mario Bros.
    Wario's Woods
    Bomberman '93
    Super Castlevania IV
    Soldier Blade
    R-Type III: The Third Lightning
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Mario Kart 64
    Comix Zone
    Kirby's Adventure
    Kid Icarus
    New Adventure Island
    Super Ghouls n' Ghosts
    Beyond Oasis
    Star Fox 64
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
    Wonder Boy in Monster World
    The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    Ninja Spirit
    Streets of Rage 2
    ActRaiser
    Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Paper Mario
    Kirby's Dream Course
    Adventures of Lolo
    Breath of Fire II
    Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
    Sin & Punishment

I've never actually looked at it in a list, before. Damn, that's a lot of money.

I've already run out of space on my Wii, and have the N64 games saved onto an SD card. Minus Sin & Punishment, since I'm playing that one actively.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    XBLA is possibly my favorite part of my 360, and now WiiWare is looking to become the best part of my Wii not named Super Mario Galaxy.

That FF:CC:INITIALISM title really looks stunningly beautiful, and I'm intrigued by that Table Tennis game, actually; the Ping Pong/Laser Hockey in Wii Play is a ton of fun, though, so it'd have to have some nice controls to replace those in my eyes.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    XBLA is what will make me get a 360. It has far far more that appeals to me compared to it's "proper" game.

Oh should add
    Iwata wrote:
    "We've already received proposals for over 100 titles from software development companies. We've made a platform for developing software at low cost, and would like to offer a new business chance based around a battle of ideas."

Yeay!!

Lave II on