As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dyeing pets funny colors

DashDDashD Dread Pirate ChefSeattle, WARegistered User regular
My roommate is going to Australia next week and my brother and I want to dye his cat blue. I've never dyed a pet before, does anyone have experience with the process? Or know the best way to sedate her? She is an utter bitch and will claw the shit out of us if she isn't drugged.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
PAX_Badge_Sig.png

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I think drugging and dyeing your roommate's cat without checking with him first is maybe not a great idea. If you do decide that animal abuse would be a barrel of laughs, though, make sure that whatever dye you pick out, you try it on a very small patch of fur first to make sure the cat doesn't have an allergic reaction or whatever.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Here's the best advice I can give in this situation:

Don't.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, the dying is pretty close to over the line depending on some stuff we don't know.

The drugging can't even see the line from how far beyond it is.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    To be clear, my roommate has said that we can do with his cat what we want. We're not looking to hurt the cat in any way. Thus, I am asking is anyone knows of a safe way to put the cat to sleep or calm her down for a bit, as you might if you had to take her on a car trip. Also, we have found a safe dye that made from plants and is often used to dye pet fur.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Don't dye the cat.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    There are professionals who will dye dog fur; presumably they would also dye cat fur. So if dyeing a cat blue is the peak of hilarity in your world, at least get it done by someone who can do so without hurting the cat and/or accidentally drugging it to death.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    the dyeing part is fine as long as you use a pet-safe product and your roommate knows whats up.

But don't drug an animal just for a joke, that's not a good thing to do.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Groomers only sedate cats as a last resort because it is extremely risky. I would not take the risk for something unnecessary.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Call a professional.

Most pet dyes you can get are in the dog aisle at the pet store for a reason - cats don't respond the same way to all kinds of chemicals. If you have flea drops for a 3 pound dog and put them on a 16 pound cat, guess what you just might have killed the cat. If it's not for cats, you don't put it on a cat.

And never mess around with sedating a cat. As said above, groomers only use it as a last resort after loading them up with treats and physical restraints. Cats can become worse under sedation if they start lashing out at everything, and if you screw up a tiny bit they might not come out of it properly.

Hevach on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    DashD wrote: »
    To be clear, my roommate has said that we can do with his cat what we want. We're not looking to hurt the cat in any way. Thus, I am asking is anyone knows of a safe way to put the cat to sleep or calm her down for a bit, as you might if you had to take her on a car trip. Also, we have found a safe dye that made from plants and is often used to dye pet fur.

Generally when people say this they mean "oh yeah put some catnip on the floor and some tape on its head and watch it run around all crazy."

Not

"yeah drug my cat and dye it blue" (I still have no idea why this is funny or why one would do this)

Don't do it, there's no reason to. Dye your friend's hair blue instead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    DashD wrote: »

Changing a cat's fur color can very, very much harm the cat psychologically. Cats are extremely change adverse, even getting a trim or part of their body shaved can set a cat off and lead to them sulking, hiding, acting out, or refusing to eat due to the change. And that's before the fact that cats are extremely sensitive to chemicals and will likely try to lick their fur clean of the coloration to the point of probably licking parts of themselves bald in doing this.

This is pretty much animal abuse. The cat is not consentually allowing you to dye it, and the owner would be wrong to do so himself as well.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I HATE cats and even I think this is a bad idea but @Enc 's post literally made me laugh out loud at the though of a cat consenting to anything a human could/would do to it.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The point here is that he said the owner consented to allowing him to abuse his cat, not that cats actually every consent about anything.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    What the

No

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.