As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need some help on what I think is the last level.
    I push a button, a large tile comes out and angles itself, i dart to the side, fall down and get thrown across the room, picking up a cube. Now what? I can't get back without getting shot up.

Actually, might not be the last level.
    just used portals to climb a bunch of staggered platforms, then came into this room, where I push a button and an area opens that allows me to get out and get my ass shot. I think it's the level right after companion cube.

there are number when you enter a level, while i do recall staggered platforms i can't for the life of me put it into chronological order with the rest ;)

does the sentry shoot bullets or rockets?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bullets. It's an enormous room with a lot of platforms with sentries on them, to my right is a drop with a floor beneath it, there's an alcove on the other side with a block dispenser, an alcove underneath that with a button that I can't get to and a moving platform going between my side and the block dispenser. I can get over to the dispenser, but I can't get back without killing myself.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    rnoose wrote: »
    i'm stuck on stage 15, i honestly don't know what to do on this part:

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testchmba100001vi8.jpg

erm easy, portal the angeled platforms and the ball should fly into the keyslot.
    unless its advanced mode.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    rnoose wrote: »
    i'm stuck on stage 15, i honestly don't know what to do on this part:

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testchmba100001vi8.jpg
    This is an explicit solution, so it's spoilered.
    I believe you're standing on top of the angled walls. Note that the ball goes through the barrier and bounces off of one of those walls at a right angle, and then runs into the main wall, at which point it will bounce back.

Put a portal where it hits the main wall, and put the exit in the main wall on the other side. It will come out, bounce at a right angle off of the other angled wall, and bounce in to the receptacle.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    bullets. It's an enormous room with a lot of platforms with sentries on them, to my right is a drop with a floor beneath it, there's an alcove on the other side with a block dispenser, an alcove underneath that with a button that I can't get to and a moving platform going between my side and the block dispenser. I can get over to the dispenser, but I can't get back without killing myself.

oh that.

3 sentries on a platform, yeah?
    shoot the sentries off the platforms by portalling the energyballs.
    then portal to the button to open the hatch.
    portal an energy ball into the recepticle.

you need to do this two things overlappingly, as the hatch will close quickly.
    THEN you can ride to the otherside, jump to the box, grab the box, get back up, then you need to open the hatch, portal the hatch, jump down to that platform to the right, portal the floor, fly somewhere, press some buttons, then get back.

it's straight forward, really. if my vague writings don't help please say so, i'll load up the offending level ;p

evilthecat on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You should figure out how to kill those turrets somehow.
    Portal the energy ball to hit them off.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Solution:
    There's a ball launcher in the room. Use portals to direct the balls into the turrets (use the laser sights on the turrets to see where to put exit portals for the balls). The energy balls will knock out the turrets, and the ball launcher will turn off once all the turrets have been knocked out and a ball has been placed into the receptacle.

The rest of the room has proven to be quite a puzzle for others on the board - there's still quite a bit to do once the turrets are no longer a problem. Good luck.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Hint 1:
    Use portals to redirect the energy balls into the sentry guns to knock them over.

Hint 2:
    The alcove with the button has a portalable wall.

Hint 3:
    You can jump from the block alcove to the platform without any trouble.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Haha, apparently testers tried to take the companion cube everywhere with them if they were not asked to burn it.

<3

Finally, was the GLaDOS voice actress *trying* to sound creepy in the commentary?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did anyone else play all the way through without any dialogue? D: Other sounds were working so I thought nothing of it. I thought you were just dropped in this test facility with no instructions and left to your own thoughts. Guess I'll have to play it through again, and that isn't a bad thing.

Woot427 on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Woot427 wrote: »
    Did anyone else play all the way through without any dialogue? D: Other sounds were working so I thought nothing of it. I thought you were just dropped in this test facility with no instructions and left to your own thoughts. Guess I'll have to play it through again, and that isn't a bad thing.

Dude, the dialogue makes the game. Seriously. You have to play through it again.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I'm addicted to the song at the end :(

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    On the bright side, you have a great reason to replay. The dialogue really makes the game. Listen closely and there's some really funny stuff in there.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Xhaztol wrote: »
    Man, I'm addicted to the song at the end :(

Yeah, best credits in ages.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

Anyone else find/look at the powerpoint slide-show or whatever in the last level comparing Black Mesa to Aperture Science? :D

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    DuoDuo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Either I'm bat-shit crazy or I heard GLaDOS say
    "Things have changed a lot since that last time you escaped" during the end boss.

I kind of like how short the game is. It let's me play through it whenever I feel like it.

Edit: To whomever said portals vs melee. I say portals vs bat-only Scouts from TF2. That's a thinking man's game, right there.

Duo on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Same here. I got told of the problem when I was in the large area in Room 18. Changed the audio language to french and back again to fix it, and there was enough time for me to run through the game from start to finish before this evening was over.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    GlaDOS says Black Mesa can't help you because GlaDOS, being the Aperture Science AI, considers Black Mesa to be her rivals and mocks their shitty, silly science. If you read the slideshow presented in a boardroom towards the end of the game, you can see for yourself the anti-Black Mesa, pro-Aperture spiel that GlaDOS has adopted.

I can see how you'd come to that conclusion but you don't know that for sure. If portal is pre halflife one then sure, if it's parallel to ep:2 then the floor's open to debate.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    I loaded the end credits to my iPod and went shopping with it on repeat.

People looked at me funny. I may have hummed along.

Echo on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    a lot of people are having problems with room 18 it seems. i found it to be one of the more intuitive rooms.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I had no problems whatsoever with 1-19. But I also have a spatial acuity and awareness that's way above normal. :P

I'll replay it with commentary on now.

Echo on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just started playing:

"In essence, speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

Gold

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    after you first come into contact with the bastard rocket launcher turret in the last level, is there a "right" way to get up into the ventiliation? I just said 'fuck it', and got a bunch of chairs from the computer lab and stacked them on top of each other and climbed up, but is there a more uh... intended way?

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Faustum wrote: »
    after you first come into contact with the bastard rocket launcher turret in the last level, is there a "right" way to get up into the ventiliation? I just said 'fuck it', and got a bunch of chairs from the computer lab and stacked them on top of each other and climbed up, but is there a more uh... intended way?
    Portal a rocket into that chute above you, and a box comes out

Lemming on
  • Options
    shadeedgeshadeedge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There's a whooshy tube with cubes going through. You can get the turret to fire at it through a portal, it breaks, cube for you.

shadeedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, looking at the stories of Portal and Episode 2, which one should I play first to get the most enjoyment out of their tie-ins? As ignorant as I am, I am ambivalent about my order of play.

Artereis on
  • Options
    winter_chiliwinter_chili Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't have the voice! I played all the way to Stage 15 and then thought "Hey where's that voice I keep hearing about?" I've messed around with the audio settings, confirmed with a friend that they're right and so I have no idea why I don't have the voice. Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

winter_chili on
    sigalso.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Artereis wrote: »
    So, looking at the stories of Portal and Episode 2, which one should I play first to get the most enjoyment out of their tie-ins? As ignorant as I am, I am ambivalent about my order of play.

If you haven't played HL2 and Episode 1 yet, play them first. If you have, go with Episode 2. Portal is self-contained, for the most part, and is pretty short, so you can play that during breaks and such.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the voice issue looks to be fairly common.

i have voice on my home pc, but not the test pc i have at work. also roommate doesnt have voice in portal, and doesnt have voice for alyx in ep2

Wyked on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is the Fall 30,000 feet achievement broken? I made two portals and have bene falling for over 10mins...

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't have the voice! I played all the way to Stage 15 and then thought "Hey where's that voice I keep hearing about?" I've messed around with the audio settings, confirmed with a friend that they're right and so I have no idea why I don't have the voice. Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with Episode 2. Try changing the voice settings to French or something and restarting, then changing it back, I've heard that works. On the other hand, I tried it and now the game won't even load, so I have to re-download Episode 2 :V

Lemming on
  • Options
    DardraxDardrax Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Exact same thing I did.

Dardrax on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    Is the Fall 30,000 feet achievement broken? I made two portals and have bene falling for over 10mins...

Some people have gotten it, but 30,000 feet is hella far. Hell, I don't even remember how I managed the 300 foot longjump achievement.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wild story speculation with the info from the Aperture Science site:
    The last entry on the site is from 1996 - around the same time that Black Mesa is in serious business with their teleportation technology (HL1 was released in 1997, right?)

Could it be possible that GlaDOS gassed the entire complex in 1996 and has been keeping test subjects on ice? I'm replaying it with commentary now and noticed the gas (oxygen?) tubes on the thingie you wake up in.

Also, at the end of room 19:
    After "assuming the position" I expected the door to open and spill out Combine or something, so I had a portal right in front of it with the exit in the fire. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just finished it. Everything about the end is has solidified Valve's position as my favourite developer alongside Nintendo - ingenuity dripping everywhere. They said on the 1UP Yours Podcast that Portal was basically that feeling of completing a puzzle in Zelda for three straight hours and they were right, but I don't remember being as blown away by a Zelda in a long time.
    And the song? <3

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    from http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608956

Change it to german then to english

if you get an error: (loads of nonsense) Cache needs to be decrypted!

you then cant load portal at all and its on Download: 0%.

(Restarte steam (delete appupdatestatus and clientregistry) it will be at 100%, verifying.

after verification it will run.

Wyked on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    After "assuming the position" I expected the door to open and spill out Combine or something, so I had a portal right in front of it with the exit in the fire. :P
    Wait, can you actually drop the gun? I didn't think to try.

Also, that was the best thing ever. The computer was so awesome. The end credits were amazing.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm renting The Orange Box soon. How long does portal take to complete?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There was the new Aperture Science login/password mentioned earlier. Full details here:
    The account/password is hidden in the first "behind the scene" area, in test 16 I believe. Login name is cjohnson, password: tier3

You can access a history of Aperture Science, among a couple other things (one of which links to a defunct youtube video??). Scans of the history here. There are some extremely minor game spoilers inside them:
    1-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    3-1.jpg
    4.jpg

I for one am really excited that they've hidden this much detail about the game, and look forward to what else will be discovered about the game to fit it into Half-Life's already vibrant backstory.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I loved this game. Favorite short game I can think of.
    I need to find a copy of the end credits song now. If anyone finds it, I have some cake for them. Delicious moist cake.

akajaybay on
This discussion has been closed.