As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck The NCAA: We Own Your Likeness Edition

1101112131416»

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It's not a total win (it bothers me how the judge bought into the "protecting athletes" bullshit), but it's a win nonetheless. Still, the NCAA had an appeal to the Ninth before the ink was dry, I bet.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So, another day, another antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA. This time, it's over the now-repealed ban on multi-year scholarships.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Not related to lawsuits, but seriously, Fuck the NCAA. This is why we can't have nice things sometimes.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Not related to lawsuits, but seriously, Fuck the NCAA. This is why we can't have nice things sometimes.

I could see where the NCAA was coming from if Mone Davis was 17 and trying to decide on a college, but not when she's 13 and not even in high school yet.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

The simple fact is that it is this shit that erodes the NCAA's support more than anything. A recent article about how, after hearing about the problems with finding housing that one of the players on the Little League champion team from Chicago was having, a local business owner gave his family a year's rent ended with the joke that the kid would no longer be eligible because he had received improper benefits. And while it was a joke, the reason it struck home was because you could see the NCAA doing exactly that.

• Options
    So, the NCAA, realizing that hey, punishing players over their families getting help to go to major championships is one hell of a dick move, has authorized schools to provide financial assistance to the families of championship bound players.

I was wrong - the NCAA's learning curve doesn't have a negative slope, apparently.

• Options
    As part of the leadup to this year's Owl, Richard Sherman and Michael Bennett tear into the NCAA:
    "I think the NCAA is one of the biggest scams in America," Bennett said. "These kids put so much on the line. They [the NCAA] say, 'We give you a free degree.' That's like me owning a restaurant and saying, 'I'll give you a free burger.' It makes me so mad and irate. Universities need to do more for the student-[athletes].''

"I don't think college athletes are given enough time to take advantage of the free education they're given," Sherman said. "It's frustrating because a lot of people get upset with student-athletes and say you're not focused on school and not taking advantage of the opportunity you're given.

"I would love for a regular student, for just one semester, to have a student-athlete schedule during the season and show me how you balance that. Show me how you would schedule your classes when you can't schedule classes for 2 to 6 o'clock on any given day.

"Show me how you're going to get all your work done when you get out [of practice and meetings] at 7:30 or so and have a test the next day and you're dead tired from practice and you still have to study and get the same work done."

Seriously, go read.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The NCAA has found a nefarious player at Baylor who took 'impermissible benefits' while he was homeless.
    Baylor confirmed Wednesday that walk-on running back Silas Nacita is no longer a member of the Bears' football team.

"Silas Nacita will not be a part of the football program moving forward due to rules violations that impact his eligibility," Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said in a statement released by the school. "We appreciate his contributions to Baylor football and wish him well as he completes his studies."

[...]

Nacita, a backup who rushed for three touchdowns last season, walked on to the Baylor program in the summer of 2014 after being homeless for a year.

"A few months before enrolling, a close family friend approached me and said they didn't want me sleeping on floors and wondering how I was going to eat the next meal," Nacita wrote on his @Salsa_Nacho Twitter account, "so they insisted on putting me in an apartment and helping out with those living expenses.

"Because I accepted that offer instead of choosing to be homeless, I am no longer eligible to play football and pursue my dream. I had no idea I was breaking any rules, but I respect the decision of the NCAA."

Thank god they caught him. He was ruining the integrity of the whole student-athlete thing.
    Nacita had said earlier Wednesday via Twitter that the NCAA ruled him ineligible because he accepted impermissible benefits while he was homeless last summer.

However, the NCAA tweeted that it did not issue any decision regarding Nacita's eligibility.

The NCAA did not declare Silas Nacita ineligible

Well, at least he's eligible somewhere else. Provided he doesn't end up homeless again.
    and Baylor has not requested a waiver for him.

And fuck Baylor for their part in this. He's been 'future endeavored' because of this bullshit.

EDIT:
    Oh, right. Didn't see that ESPN already updated that the NCAA denied ruling him ineligible. This is still pretty shitty.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Wrong thread, please see this comment.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The NCAA has found a nefarious player at Baylor who took 'impermissible benefits' while he was homeless.
    Baylor confirmed Wednesday that walk-on running back Silas Nacita is no longer a member of the Bears' football team.

"Silas Nacita will not be a part of the football program moving forward due to rules violations that impact his eligibility," Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said in a statement released by the school. "We appreciate his contributions to Baylor football and wish him well as he completes his studies."

[...]

Nacita, a backup who rushed for three touchdowns last season, walked on to the Baylor program in the summer of 2014 after being homeless for a year.

"A few months before enrolling, a close family friend approached me and said they didn't want me sleeping on floors and wondering how I was going to eat the next meal," Nacita wrote on his @Salsa_Nacho Twitter account, "so they insisted on putting me in an apartment and helping out with those living expenses.

"Because I accepted that offer instead of choosing to be homeless, I am no longer eligible to play football and pursue my dream. I had no idea I was breaking any rules, but I respect the decision of the NCAA."

Thank god they caught him. He was ruining the integrity of the whole student-athlete thing.
    Nacita had said earlier Wednesday via Twitter that the NCAA ruled him ineligible because he accepted impermissible benefits while he was homeless last summer.

However, the NCAA tweeted that it did not issue any decision regarding Nacita's eligibility.

The NCAA did not declare Silas Nacita ineligible

Well, at least he's eligible somewhere else. Provided he doesn't end up homeless again.
    and Baylor has not requested a waiver for him.

And fuck Baylor for their part in this. He's been 'future endeavored' because of this bullshit.

EDIT:
    Oh, right. Didn't see that ESPN already updated that the NCAA denied ruling him ineligible. This is still pretty shitty.

How the fuck is a "student athlete" homeless? Jesus christ NCAA.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the homeless thing was before he was a student-athlete, and possibly even before he was a student (I'm not clear on the exact situation from the links I've seen). The NCAA (rightly, for once) did not rule him ineligible, but for some reason Baylor kicked him off the team anyway. What a terrible situation.

steam_sig.png