As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dardrax wrote: »
    Faustum wrote: »
    after you first come into contact with the bastard rocket launcher turret in the last level, is there a "right" way to get up into the ventiliation? I just said 'fuck it', and got a bunch of chairs from the computer lab and stacked them on top of each other and climbed up, but is there a more uh... intended way?

Exact same thing I did.
    Use the portals and that turret from the previous room to break open the tube that has the containers going through it. One will fall out, that you can then use to climb up.

By the way, everyone knows the reason that song is so awesome is because Jonathan Coulton wrote it, right?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shadeedge wrote: »
    after you first come into contact with the bastard rocket launcher turret in the last level, is there a "right" way to get up into the ventiliation? I just said 'fuck it', and got a bunch of chairs from the computer lab and stacked them on top of each other and climbed up, but is there a more uh... intended way?
    There's a whooshy tube with cubes going through. You can get the turret to fire at it through a portal, it breaks, cube for you.

Same for me, actually.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    :whistle:

There's no sense crying over every mistake
    You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

:whistle:

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I loved this game. Favorite short game I can think of.
    I need to find a copy of the end credits song now. If anyone finds it, I have some cake for them. Delicious moist cake.

someone posted it earlier in this thread, probably around 2 pages back.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    END GAME SPOILERS
    So since they were competing with Black Mesa (at least I think they were), think they were involved with the whole portal fiasco that started half life 1?

also to get the song download gcfscape, open the Portal Content gcf > sound > music > still_alive

Also, any ideas as to who's daughter you are?
    (bring your daughter to work day)

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    SupaiSupai Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Wild story speculation with the info from the Aperture Science site:

Also, at the end of room 19:
    After "assuming the position" I expected the door to open and spill out Combine or something, so I had a portal right in front of it with the exit in the fire. :P

I did the exact same thing...
    I waited maybe 3 minutes, then looked up and went "Oh."

Supai on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I loved the ending of this. I mean... Wow. Just Wow.

I can see these guys working on Aperture well past the portal storms, in secret. What's more, now that AI is part of the Half-life continuity (and modular, as well, with various levels of the brain represented), this opens up a TON of possibilities.

Shame we never met the guy who came before. I don't think he made it past GlaDOS.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TrakardTrakard __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Part 18 on advanced is kicking my ass. The other 5 were not much harder than before, but I'm completely stumped here, right at the start.

Trakard on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Best. Ending. Ever.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Am I the only one who just turned turrets around so the stared at walls harmlessly instead of knocking them over? Because knocking them over made me feel like such a jerk.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Am I the only one who just turned turrets around so the stared at walls harmlessly instead of knocking them over? Because knocking them over made me feel like such a jerk.

Too much effort. Rushing at them with something or shooting a portal under them is much quicker and easier. And after all, NO HARD FEELINGS... I DON'T BLAME YOU....

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

aw come on ...

"hello! how can I help?"
    "why don't you come over here?"

BANG BANG BANG!

who's the real jerk here!?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, the advanced stages will make you go out of your way to drop turrets in goo out of spite.

Oats on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I loved this game. Favorite short game I can think of.
    I need to find a copy of the end credits song now. If anyone finds it, I have some cake for them. Delicious moist cake.

someone posted it earlier in this thread, probably around 2 pages back.

Great thanks much.
    The cake is a lie.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    KainenKainen Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Man... okay, I'm feeling retarded

I'm stuck :/

Based on time, should be late game spoilers
    I just got past the eye thing that shoots rockets at you, and the next step appears to be a little ventilation shaft with one of the handwritten sign 'over here' next to it... seriously, I can't figure out how to get into the damn shaft. I can't jump into it, and I can't portal past it.

I actually just..
    used a chair to get in there

Kainen on
    I've played team fortress since '97. neat.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i'm asking again, how do i complete the advanced level with the turrets? its doing my head in D:

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Here's the credits song if nobody posted it yet: http://iseenothing.com/tf2/portal_still_alive.mp3

I <3 it.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    During the last boss fight, she kept saying things like
    You dont know whats going on out there, when you get out there you will wish you were back in here. I am all that stands between you and - " I cut her off here by picking up the "Angry" part of her, so it sounded as if she said "I'm all that stands between you and GRRAGLGLGHGH" but it was probably uninentional.

I'm basically assuming that above the research labs - it's Half life 2 world. The combine have no idea that Aperture is down there and remains untouched.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So yeah, I pretty much want to play this. However I'm hesitant to purchase it due to being able to just pass the Minimum requirements.

Anyone using 512 RAM let me know how it runs before I decide if I should get more RAM or not?

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    help! how do i get the crate in the turret room on #18?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Also, at the end of room 19:
    After "assuming the position" I expected the door to open and spill out Combine or something, so I had a portal right in front of it with the exit in the fire. :P
    I was a little bit disappointed when no one came through. I too had baited such a trap.

theResetButton on
    Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game is made of awesome and win.

One question, though.
    (endgame spoilers!)
    Towards the end after you blow those doors using the rocket turret, there's a little vent you have to get into. How is that supposed to be done? Because I just backtracked, got myself a chair, hopped onto the chair and into the vent. Were you supposed to portal your way onto the tube above it and then drop into it?

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited October 2007

One question, though.
    (endgame spoilers!)
    Towards the end after you blow those doors using the rocket turret, there's a little vent you have to get into. How is that supposed to be done? Because I just backtracked, got myself a chair, hopped onto the chair and into the vent. Were you supposed to portal your way onto the tube above it and then drop into it?

You use the same technique you just used before. But to break the tube glass

Suprisingly easy to overlook.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

One question, though.
    (endgame spoilers!)

I think this might have been answered earlier but:
    You get the turret to shoot a rocket through a portal into the tube carrying the crates. Apparently, alot of people did the chair thing

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

One question, though.
    (endgame spoilers!)
    You were supposed to get the rocket turret to shoot a box tube in the room with the vent.
    Although, there's nothing really wrong with your solution, I suppose...

theResetButton on
    Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    For that part I...
    put a portal on the floor in the computer room and kept tossing towers through it and just made a pile. Maybe they intended both solutions?
    Commentary time!

bombardier on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Level 17. What the hell last platform, what the hell.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Does anything think the commentary is far too fucking quiet?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

One question, though.
    (endgame spoilers!)

You use the same technique you just used before. But to break the tube glass

Suprisingly easy to overlook.

The funny thing is that I tried that, but it didn't work (maybe because the end portal was too high). So I did the other solution.

BTW, I love the turrets <3

And I WILL have a companion Cube!
    And we will have cake together

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone had any luck getting the camera shy achievement? On my second run through (dialogue is awsome) I got 31...I thoroughly checked every room for destroyable cameras I thought.
    I also to deflect orbs at cameras with my companion cube <3 for ten minutes. Couldn't even hit a camera to see if it worked.

Woot427 on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there no way to see the Portal/Ep2 achievements on my community profile? They are at least saved to the account, right?

Zek on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Near the end I started to bring a turret along with me for a while, but he got stuck in a narrow passageway and I was forced to part with my buddy :(

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Is there no way to see the Portal/Ep2 achievements on my community profile? They are at least saved to the account, right?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/woot/stats/Portal

Mine work. Though it hasn't updated since around 4:00pm CST today. Maybe something broke on Valve's end.

Woot427 on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Weird, the Portal stats show up on my public profile but not my control panel.

They should really list your achievement totals though. There won't be any trace of them once I don't play a game for 2 weeks.

Zek on
  • Options
    OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alright I'm just going to wax hypothetical about the story:
    1. GlaDOS lures away a child during take your daughter to work day using cake as bait of course. She needs a test subject to further her research.
    2. GlaDOS releases the poison to get rid of the pesky scientists that are slowing her research. The survivors install the morality module to prevent further murder.
    3. The Combine attack Earth and the Aperature labs are abandoned. GlaDOS continues the research with the kidnapped little girl over the years.
    4. The test subject becomes more rebellious, creating little hide aways and covering the crawlspaces with graffiti. GlaDOS responds by erasing the test subject's memory, and placing her in the detention area, where you begin the game.
    So GlaDOS loves you because she is like your mother, having cared for you and taught you to use the portal gun. Of course since GlaDOS is able to lie we may never know the whole story.

Ozmodai on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My camera destructions do not show up. Broked? :-(

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    help! how do i get the crate in the turret room on #18?

HELP

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ozmodai wrote: »
    Alright I'm just going to wax hypothetical about the story:
    1. GlaDOS lures away a child during take your daughter to work day using cake as bait of course. She needs a test subject to further her research.
    2. GlaDOS releases the poison to get rid of the pesky scientists that are slowing her research. The survivors install the morality module to prevent further murder.
    3. The Combine attack Earth and the Aperature labs are abandoned. GlaDOS continues the research with the kidnapped little girl over the years.
    4. The test subject becomes more rebellious, creating little hide aways and covering the crawlspaces with graffiti. GlaDOS responds by erasing the test subject's memory, and placing her in the detention area, where you begin the game.
    So GlaDOS loves you because she is like your mother, having cared for you and taught you to use the portal gun. Of course since GlaDOS is able to lie we may never know the whole story.

it's stated a few times that you're an android, is it not?

Angry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    the android thing was because you were in that one section designed for military androids

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gah, I heard no one talking during the game.

There a quick fix for this issue?

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.