As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you won the Lottery!

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    Also, I'd by a Delorean.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

We actually have this author, Matthew Riley in Australia who writes the book equivalent of B-grade movies that are fantastically over the top and very very popular.

Buying a Delorean was one of the first things he did once he had the money for it.

I quite liked Temple, Ice Station and Area 7. The death in Area 7 made me D: though.

Man, I don't know if I should feel bad for it but... I fucking loved those books. Schofield is such a badass.

My girlfriend doesn't like Schofield. In her words "he's all 'ooh I've got to save the president'". She did like Aloysius Knight.

I love the books for being the awesome cheesy action books that they are. And better yet, Contest is being turned into a miniseries and I believe Disney picked up the rights to make a movie of hovercar racer.

Also, he's doing an author signing night for his new book near me in a couple of weeks. Has the same guy from 7 Ancient Wonders. It will be full of fuckawesome explosions and dudes with metal arms shooting people.

On topic;

I'd give the money to some guy who knows what he's doing to invest it for me and live life easy for the rest of my life.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So...$160 million?

First, I would ensure that the money is stored somewhere safe with top-of-the line security and insurance, a Swiss account or something. This would make it so that people who I don't want to get their grubby hands to my money wouldn't get their grubby hands to the money. Like the goverment.

I'd then pay off the debts of my family, but I wouldn't give them millions or anything. Anything they would want for, I would pay, but I don't believe giving them cold hard cash would help anything.

Then, I would buy a private jet. Something relatively cheap, between $1-10 million. I'd assume that I would still have over 100 million left.Then, I would start travelling. Anywhere I want. I'd visit every country in the world, every famous site, every tourist attraction. I'd also only eat in the best possible places. Gourmet every day. My private jet woud of course have assortment of televisions, game consoles and the latest books to keep me occupied when travelling. Maybe a personal chef.

This is how I would spend the rest of my life.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Given 160 million I would spend it like so:

a) 20 million for paying off all of my families, debts, buying the things they need/want, etc.

b)40 million invested in various areas to make money and continue c.

c)100 million would go into killing malaria and starting up various companies that keep all of their money in the country in need.

Sami on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1. Quit Uni.
    2. Give money to my family and some charity.
    3. Travel the world (Cairo, Athens, Rome, etc etc etc).
    4. Buy a massive house. Buy a decent car.
    5. Buy some property (A Vineyard would be sweet).

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am a bit of a traveler, so off I would go around the world. I would go through so many passports, I would be stopped for suspicion of illegal trafficking everywhere I go. I figure 5 mil would be enough to cover my taste in traveling for about 20 years.

I would buy a nice sized building in Portland. I would renovate the top floor for myself to live and then rent out the rest of the space to ensure money would come in to pay for it. A dream of mine is to actually own a bar one day. I think I could start a really cool neighborhood pub/dive bar. From what i gather from another friend looking to buy a building in Portland for his company, that is about 3 mil for the structure, 2 for the complete renovation. .5 mil to start the bar.

I actually have a pretty small family and group of friends. It would only take 1.5 mil to take care of everyone. I would actually only take care of my parents for 8 years under the stipulation that both would get off their respective ass and go to college (which I would pay for). Same would go for my sister.

I never finished college and I figure I need to do something to fill my days so I would go to school for a long while. I would take my time and broaden all my interests and hobbies. I would be sure to take Econ and Accounting classes so that I could eventually take over investing my own money rather than paying others to do so. 100k for atleast 8 years of school.

My friend Kris has this amazing house that he has yet to fix up. It drives me up the wall that he hasn't done it because it has so much potential. I would buy the damn thing from him, renovate it and let it be a spot for friends to live in for cheap. 250k for the house, 100k for the complete renovation. But it would be returning money because I would be renting it out. but initial cost 350k

Kharma is a bitch so I would probably donate a nice chunk of my cash. 1 million toward Biofeul research, 1 Million to the Portland Zoo, 1 million to various charities to help kids discover arts and 3 million toward Diabetes research.

Finally I would have to get the novelty of the sudden influx of cash out of my system. 1 million in buy stupid shit and living in the lap of luxury to assist in that.

That is approx 13.05 million spent. I would round that up to 15 just in case I have issues with sticking with budget and also for misc expenses for hiring a lawyer, accountant and financial adviser. That leaves me with about 65 Mill after taxes and taking the lump sum. 40 million would be invested in such a way that I could live off the dividends. 5 would be invested in more risky interests. 10 million would be stashed away for emergencies. a Swiss bank account would be cool to have. The final 10 million would be available for my whims.

I think that is everything accounted for.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd take annuity and invest in a diverse portfolio. Currently, I'm only investing heavily in one market, so I would definitely change that.

Well, as far as splurging goes, I'd take out a very short-term loan for a reasonably priced house in Southern California (where I'm starting my business), with at least three bedrooms and a den or two.

I'd set up a LAN room with enough TVs, consoles, and PCs for 10 people or so.

Definitely a T1 or T3 line.

I'd get rid of my Yamaha's and get my Roland V-Drums (although I may buy them for myself for Christmas)

I like my 2007 GTI A LOT, I don't really need another car, but I would put a powerful (but balanced) sound system.

Have a fully functioning gym in said house. No more punching bags taking up space in garage.

I'd soundproof said LAN room, too. That is a must.

Invest in my start-up, at least more upfront than I am now.

I'd have more fun after I get my business self-sustaining (a few years) and military service (2 - 5 years after business).

Daemonion on
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I won 160 million dollars, you all would probably never hear from me again.

But, as far as what I would spend it on, it would mostly be the following.

1) A 1971 Hardtop GTO with a 455 HO and a Muncie M-21 4 speed. Similar to this, to replace my 1971 LeMans.

2) A whole shitload of old guitars. There would be a lot of Fender Jazzmasters and Gibson SGs.

3) A house. Nothing fancy, just something in a nice area with a low crime rate and a lively night life. Actually, a bunch of houses, so I wouldn't have to sleep in the same place twice, and so my friends/family could all live like leeches off of me because I'm a giving guy like that.

4) Every drug I can find that can be consumed without a needle.

So this would total about 20 million. I would put 1/2 of the remainder into the bank and just let it draw interest. I would then use the rest of it to start a music label and pay off debts and lawyer fees.

Although I would probably be willing to give a lot of it to charity after number 4 started kicking in.

And to answer the OP question: Yes, I think I would become a horrible person if I suddenly had more money than any person could ever need. Especially if I had a bunch of bodyguards.

Also, I would probably date Paris Hilton just to illustrate how much money I had.

I would also slap her around because she just has it coming. And when the tabloids asked why, I would look them in the eye and say "I hit her because I love her," when in all actuality I will hit her just because I want to.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd buy something big and Australian. Since I'm an Australian, and all. Lol.

Probably a HSV GTO Coupe.

Which, in Americanese, is a 2007 Pontiac GTO.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I think they discontinued the GTO line in the States with 2006.

I was going to buy the 2006 model a week after I graduated high school. I was on my way to go to the dealership to finalize everything when I got a call that I lost my job.

One day, though, I will have one. And it will rock. And no longer will I drive a 36 year old clunker that breaks down every other week.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »

We could go halves in Ayers Rock, if you want.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    20071010.jpg

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    I'd go back to Africa/Mid East, and live completely above the law.

Do a Che Guevara but in Africa type of thing?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm pretty definite i'd finish my degree, then maybe start my own research fellowship or something.

Look into the effects of telomerase on senesence etc etc.

I'd also probably learn some martial arts, like thai boxing and wing chun kung fu or something.
    Build myself up by working out loads and make myself into the ultimate figure of a human being, and I wouldn't be working very much so it's not like I wouldn't have the time.

Johannen on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I usually buy a ticket after the jackpot hits $100 million. After winning $20,000 from one of my survey panels and a bunch of other stuff from various others, it couldn't hurt. Vyolynce and I have pretty much worked out what we will do if I win.

We're buying at least two houses: One in Massachusetts (main house) and one in North Carolina for my mom. We're going to knock out every last cent that we owe. Give about $1 million each to our brothers to do with as they will. I want to travel the world a couple of times and maybe buy a nice muscle car.

Then we're setting up a trust fund for each kid in our life that we feel have potential, like our "adopted daughter" (really the daughter of the guy we judge M:tG tournaments for, but everyone thinks that she's my kid), our adopted cousin (long story, basically her mom's a psycho and Vyolynce's cousin is now raising her), and the children of our best friends. And we'll of course set something up for any kids we have.

Then we're giving the rest to the best accountant we can find and telling him/her to invest it. We'll live off the interest, set up a scholarship fund for kids that can't afford college (but make too much money to qualify for income-based financial aid), retire for a few years, go crazy from boredom and start our own businesses. He wants to start a gaming store. I want to freelance making custom outfits and crafts.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd buy power. $160 mill is enough. Buy my way into the Senate or House of Rep... or become CEO of a business where I deliver lots of face time to the media.

I'd get everyone to like me by becoming the cool anti-hero against big corporations and government and when I'd earned enough trust, I'd trick everyone into doing something really stupid. Then call them out on it; hoping they realize how dumbass gullible they are, and hopefully turn some of them into more intelligent people.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would donate half my money to the city so they'd have to name a street or a school or a park after me.

meeker on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would pay off my parents debt from my dads business, and take care of his medical bills. I'd give them a fund to live on so they could retire early, and my Dad could spend his time doing lighting and finishing seminary, and my mom could go back to school or just relax for one. And they could travel again. I'd pay off my sister and bro-in-law's school bills, because they are awesome people. I'd support a few choice local charities, spent maybe 5 mil to turn the gymatorium at my college into an actual performance space since the acoustics are great, but the accomadations are shit.

Every year I'd buy one of the awesome prizes like a voice in Halo 12 at the Child's Play auction. I'd buy a comfortable but not huge house somewhere coastal. Invest the rest of the money so I can live comfortably on the interest. I'd spend my days with a mix of video games, tutoring in Japanese and Chinese, voice lessons, and martial arts (Aikido and Ninjutsu for the best worst fusion?), and maybe some science stuff or something. I'd join/start a choir or ensemble and tour with them. I'd rebuild the house I grew up in, and my grandmother's house.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd immediately invest a quarter of it and put a quarter of it into savings. I'd set aside a portion to pay for the rest of my brother's college education. Another portion would be set aside for buying a modest house somewhere, once I decide where that "somewhere" would be (I'm tempted by Edinburgh and Heidelberg).

With what remained, I would begin working towards getting my doctorates in mathematics and music performance, and once completed, I'd become a professional marimba performer theorizing in mathematics on the side. I'd also seek out some small Scottish village that still makes regular use of Gaelic, and take a year or two to live there and finish learning the language.

Basically, put aside portions for intelligent and helpful purposes, and then focus on hobbies.

edit: Oh, and throw law school in there somewhere.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Three Amigos

-What are you going to do with your share, Lucky?
    - A car. A big shiny car. How about you?
    - New york...maybe paris-mmm- Gonna be a big shot for a while. How about you Ned?
    - I wanna start a foundation to help homeless children.
    - Well, I meant to do that.
    - Well I meant I was going to do that first and then I was going to get the car.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mastman wrote: »
    I'd buy power. $160 mill is enough. Buy my way into the Senate or House of Rep... or become CEO of a business where I deliver lots of face time to the media.

I'd get everyone to like me by becoming the cool anti-hero against big corporations and government and when I'd earned enough trust, I'd trick everyone into doing something really stupid. Then call them out on it; hoping they realize how dumbass gullible they are, and hopefully turn some of them into more intelligent people.

"HAHAHAHAHA, you dumb fuckers, did you really think genocide would revive our national economy?"

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok so besides quitting law school (there's a small chance I would stay, but damn it would be hard) I would:

- Pay off all family debts. My family is small and mostly well-off, so this won't be hard.
    - Buy a home in my parent's town, a home in a tropical locale, and a home in Portland.
    - One or two cars, perhaps upgrades for the boyfriend and parents.
    - My boyfriend would also appreciate very much if I got a pilot's license and a plane for him to jump out of.
    - Make sure my bro and sis have full tuition for school.
    - Travel for a year, bringing the boyfriend when he can come. Everywhere!
    - Afterwards, settle down in Portland, get a dog or two, start writing.
    - Maybe go to culinary school. Or film school.
    - Look for interesting/important projects around Oregon that need some funding.
    - Donate to schools and charities.
    - Invest.

Medopine on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cue the Barenaked Ladies' "If I Had a Million Dollars"...

First, I'd pay off all of my debts, all of my parents' debts, and all of my sister's debts, and make sure they're all living comfortably (but not enough that they all become my dependents.)

Then I'd take about 6 months off to slack off for a bit, maybe buying a house or a large condo.

After that, I have two big projects:
    1- Start my own game development studio, with me as the lead designer, and some of my friends and ex-coworkers from the games industry to fill out the team.
    2- Build my own recording studio, and hire some of my friends who are knowledgeable in audio recording or music performance.

I might even do both.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oooh Ooh! I'd buy that missile silo thing in the strip!

Muahahahahaha!

Johannen on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Someone may have already brought this up, but I feel obligated to put it out there myself:

Two chicks at once.

jotate on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    jotate wrote: »
    Someone may have already brought this up, but I feel obligated to put it out there myself:

Two chicks at once.

It's been done.

The way to get around that is.... I raise you three chicks and a midget.

Johannen on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Johannen wrote: »

Two chicks at once.

It's been done.

Wait wait wait.
    Are you raising him those 3 chicks? Or seeing his 2 and raising one? Also, is the midget worth more or less than a chick?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Johannen wrote: »

Two chicks at once.

It's been done.

Wait wait wait.
    Are you raising him those 3 chicks? Or seeing his 2 and raising one? Also, is the midget worth more or less than a chick?

Seeing his two, raising one, and the midget is like a wild card.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well I think you can get a lawyer to claim the ticket for you or something, thus doing it anonymously. This is the most critical bit of winning the lottery, obviously. First thing I would do is probably pay off family debts. This is would probably be a bit tricky because I can imagine one of my brothers becoming the mooching type (but not the murdering type). I would probably end up finishing college anyhow because I'm rather enjoying myself, and hey, a liberal arts degree is always good to... well, it certainly doesn't hurt to have one. And it would probably be a good idea to pay for my brothers' educations.

I would probably buy a great wardrobe, some game systems, a totally pimped out gaming computer, maybe a nicer car, but I can't really see myself going nuts with material objects. I've never been that attracted to them. I envision using the money to go places and do amazing, crazy things in foreign countries. Maybe live a lifestyle that suggests 'trustfund kid' or something.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shutz wrote: »
    1- Start my own game development studio, with me as the lead designer, and some of my friends and ex-coworkers from the games industry to fill out the team.
    I might even do both.

I was just going to say that one. I mean, after hiring a financial adviser or two before I even decide on lump sum or increments (though probably the former,) giving some to family, paying off debts, etc. I probably won't worry about charity until the financial situation stabilizes, then I'll just make annual payments.

How much money would it take to start a company and make at least one modern console title? 30 million? 40? At any rate, quit my job, and if I don't do the startup immediately, take time to go to school, get a tutor, get an intern, or otherwise get myself in the door of the industry, at least so I know how it really works. Meanwhile, the whole self-improvement idea is a good one, so I'd have martial arts instructors, fencing instructors, and language and music tutors wherever I go.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What I would do, in order:
    - Get (pay for) my MBA
    - Pay off all my other debts
    - Buy a nice, small, house
    - Buy a nice car
    - Buy a garage several times the size of my house
    - Buy a fleet of nice cars
    - Invest
    - Create a startup with one of the several business ideas I have floating around in my head

I most certainly would not stop working. I would go insane without anything to do.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Buy a moderately size house, a new car. Keep something like $10 million ensure my financial security. Agonize over where to give out the rest. To NASA to fund an awesome asteroid probe? Fund breeder reactor research or a real campaign for actually informing the public about nuclear power? Help cure a disease? I really don't know.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Here's what I'd do:

-Buy a lot of land. Like, 1,000 acres or so
    -Construct my compound. I'd make my house out of concrete (expensive up front, buy worth it in the long run)
    -Invest heavily in a wide variety of stocks, bonds, mutual funds
    -Do some traveling while my new headquarters is being built, probably Britain, Japan
    -Give some to my Mom, grandparents. Pay for my fiance's brother to go to college
    -Buy a shit-ton of guns and ammo to fortify said compound
    -Get a new car/truck
    -Have fun riding around on my property, admiring the natural beauty. Having parties with no neighbors around. Eventually start my own business.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh god yes, I would totally start a game company.

Batman free-roaming game with fully and completely modelled Gotham City with the best A.I possible with millions of citizens in-game...here I come!

And living in that missile silo would be amazing.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Game/Animation Company

Create a facility for the advancment of robotics and various other aspects of science. Get a nice house(I think huge houses are obnoxious and unnecessary). Hopefully I could profit enough to be some big time CEO. Start an army, stage a coup. All that good stuff.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, and I think the reason that so many people end up squandering their lottery winnings is that on the whole, only people that are bad at math and fiscal planning buy lottery tickets.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and I think the reason that so many people end up squandering their lottery winnings is that on the whole, only people that are bad at math and fiscal planning buy lottery tickets.

There are far, far worse things you can spend money on than the occasional lottery ticket.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

There are far, far worse things you can spend money on than the occasional lottery ticket.

Asides from things that do you active harm, what? The lottery has pretty much the worst odds of any gambling game anywhere.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Cigarettes come to mind.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well if I had the money I would buy a Volcano fortress
    Then I could create the club Evil geniuses for a better tomorrow

Or I could take soth and lethargy to new and interesting highs

I used to work in a casino so I really did question some people spending thousands of dollars on penny machines!

Brainleech on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

Asides from things that do you active harm, what? The lottery has pretty much the worst odds of any gambling game anywhere.

I personally was thinking stuff like parking structure fees. Costs me 50 cents every time I go to the gym in parking, but if hunt around I can park close enough for free. So, two times not parking in the structure = 1 lotto ticket. I could at least possibly (though very unlikey) get something with the lotto ticket. I'm not going to get anything back from that parking structure.

Inquisitor on