As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superhero Thread - New Avengers Trailer is Out, Shit Looks Dope [Superheroes]

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in Social Entropy++
So you might have heard that this guy

53710b14a320b.png

is coming to the MCU. We are expecting casting information soon, maybe really soon:

!!!

Here are the movies coming out this year and next:

Here's the new scheduled, updated:

2015:
May 1: Avengers: Age of Ultron
July 17: Ant-Man
August 7: Fantastic Four (Fox)

2016:
February 12: Deadpool (Fox)
March 25: Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice
May 6: Captain America: Civil War
May 27: X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox)
August 5: Suicide Squad
October 7: Gambit
November 4: Doctor Strange

Superheroes are also in comics! There are new comics out this week!
tumblr_n97r7cWvCV1thkfc4o1_500.png

and

are a few that I'm excited about. For a full list of current releases, you can check out http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/940

Langly on

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    APqpsIf.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    That art looks really cool, but does Spider-Gwen really not have a hyphen?

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I asked this before but what is spider-gwens hero name

its not spider-gwen right

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's Spider-Woman in universe

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Spider-Gwen #1 also included the easiest possible cosplay/fan-outfit idea

At the start of the book there is a trio of Spider-Woman fans spraypainting over one of Jameson's billboards, all wearing white hoodies
    with "YSG" spraypainted on the back

they're even chased by "Officer Grimm"

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Shower thoughts with Weaver

So in the first Cap movie, Red Skull keeps calling Zola "Mister Doctor".

Maybe Zola is actually a "Hair Doctor"?

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

8->

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Fearghaill wrote: »

At the start of the book there is a trio of Spider-Woman fans spraypainting over one of Jameson's billboards, all wearing white hoodies

I don't get the significance of the spoiler. Mind explaining it?

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Spoilerz
    The Yancy Street Gang, notoriously helmed by Ben Grimm before his time with Reed and the Fantastic Four

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

They're the of Spider-Gwen's world.

I'm pretty sure it's Spider-Woman in universe

Pretty sure the only reason the new serial is even titled Spider-Gwen is because that's what literally everyone started calling her on their own.

AS A TEENAGER, GWEN STACY WENT TO A DEMONSTRATION ON RADIOACTIVITY AND WAS BITTEN BY A MUTATED SPIDER. THE BITE TRANSFORMED HER, GRANTING HER AMAZING POWERS: A PRECOGNITIVE AWARENESS OF DANGER, ADHESIVE FINGERTIPS AND TOES, AND THE PROPORTIONAL SPEED AND STRENGTH OF A SPIDER. TO THE RESIDENTS OF NEW YORK SHE IS THE DANGEROUS VIGILANTE CALLED SPIDER-WOMAN, BUT YOU KNOW HER AS...
    SPIDER-GWEN

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I saw so many Spider-Gwen cosplayers at Katsucon

Between her, Captain Marvel, Miss Marvel, and the new Squirrel Girl (all of whom had cosplays by the dozen at the last few cons I've been to) the Marvel feminist hype is pretty real

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Between her, Captain Marvel, Miss Marvel, and the new Squirrel Girl (all of whom had cosplays by the dozen at the last few cons I've been to) the Marvel feminist hype is pretty real

Now we just need to get it into movies.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    i will not let this comment get shuffled into the night!
    Felicity no matter what you do....

You will never be Chloe Sullivan-Queen

Though you sure are trying by being Superman's the Atoms girlfriend friend love intrest.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    AS A TEENAGER, GWEN STACY WENT TO A DEMONSTRATION ON RADIOACTIVITY AND WAS BITTEN BY A MUTATED SPIDER. THE BITE TRANSFORMED HER, GRANTING HER AMAZING POWERS: A PRECOGNITIVE AWARENESS OF DANGER, ADHESIVE FINGERTIPS AND TOES, AND THE PROPORTIONAL SPEED AND STRENGTH OF A SPIDER. TO THE RESIDENTS OF NEW YORK SHE IS THE DANGEROUS VIGILANTE CALLED SPIDER-WOMAN, BUT YOU KNOW HER AS...
    SPIDER-GWEN

once again, the problem I have with all spider-people

why are they wearing gloves and shoes

more practical spider costumes, please

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well, they're masked vigilantes running around New York. I imagine gloves and shoes helps with fingerprints and tetanus.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    SPIDER-GWEN

I wish theyd just call the book Gwen Stacey : Spider-woman. The fan name is dumb and is going to confuse people later on

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So I've decided the Ant-Man stinger needs to be Pym and Lang walking down the streets of NYC arguing over the name and Lang is just like, "Look, nobody's going to take a bug-themed hero seriously!" and Pym's like "what makes you say that?" and Lang just picks up a paper from a newsstand or whatever and it's a copy of the Daily Bugle and a photo of Spider-Man on the front with a very typically-JJJ headline.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Between Spider Gwen, Silk, and Aquirrel Girl my pull list has gotten a lot more fun recently

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Dude, it's Ms. Marvel. It's an important distinction.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Well, they're masked vigilantes running around New York. I imagine gloves and shoes helps with fingerprints and tetanus.

sure yeah, for those purposes. for wall-crawlability they are useless as hell

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I got my issue of Spider-Gwen. I loved it.

Need to get the issue of Edge of Spiderverse

I like the nickname and enjoy that its only mentioned on the intro and the title.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

I actually had a moment a few weeks back where I was thinking about wanting to do some sort of costume for ECCC, but had some trouble coming up with options because most of my favourite superheroes/most of the best new costumes these days are women.

it was an odd feeling, not being the sole audience being catered to, but it's a feeling that's long overdue

That said, I'm totally going to ECCC as a member of the Spider-Gwen Yancy Street Gang.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    What does Spider-Gwen's primary costume look like? I'm going to Kami-con in Birmingham this weekend as a vendor but I'll have a lot of free time to browse. I'll see if I spot any cosplayers of her.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Goatmon wrote: »

8->

Is it this?

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yup, that's the one

SPIDER-GWEN

I wish theyd just call the book Gwen Stacey : Spider-woman. The fan name is dumb and is going to confuse people later on

disagree, the fan name is amazing, and is an entirely appropriate nod to the fact that this book only exists because of fan support for the character

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    SPIDER-GWEN

It's a fan name that distinguishes this character from all other ones. How do you see it being confusing?

Spider-Gwen fits perfectly with the feeling of the book.

It's a fun, modern name. I really dig it, and honestly I think if a random person saw it on the rack they would flip through it because of the name.

And that costume. Man, one of the best in years.

I seriously cannot get enough of that costume.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    What does Spider-Gwen's primary costume look like? I'm going to Kami-con in Birmingham this weekend as a vendor but I'll have a lot of free time to browse. I'll see if I spot any cosplayers of her.

Hey! A Kami-congoer in the wild! You should find some way to display your forum name so I can buy stuff from you this weekend.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Hey! A Kami-congoer in the wild! You should find some way to display your forum name so I can buy stuff from you this weekend.

Thanks, I'll be with the guy who sells posters and comics along with swords if the con allows that. Pretty sure we're the only dealer of that kind there.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Marvel_Zombies_1_Cover-674x1024.jpg?1424968818
    By Si Spurrier and Kev Walker starring Elsa Bloodstone

See now that's the kind of Zombies book I want

CYpGAPn.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a good place to throw Elsa Bloodstone

I dig it

edited February 2015
    The story revolves around Elsa serving as the one-woman barrier to the Zombies (being held back by the wall) on the Southern end of Battleworld when one day she sees an unzombified human girl running for her life in the No Man's Land so going against every instinct she has she crosses the barrier and saves the girl, only now they are stuck in the Zombie's turf and have to fight their way back out.
    We-ell…. like most stories which purport to be structured round a single journey, there are actually two of them going on side by side. The first and most obvious one is really simple, revolving around this incredible, relentless, fascinating woman – Elsa – trying to cross a wasteland full of indescribable horrors, while protecting a vulnerable young companion. This is the part of the journey packed with festering, corrupted, undead versions of your favourite Marvel characters, in whose rheumy eyes Elsa and her young charge are just a convenient moveable snack. Into this portion of the journey we’re throwing putrid wads of horror, incredible action and some really creative evil. I’m actually rather proud of some of the inventive nastiness I’ve got planned.

The second journey, which is a lot less visible, is going on all the time inside Elsa’s mind and heart. One of our quite explicit aims here is to remind everyone what a wonderful and unique character she is. Beneath the über-capable, sarcasm-spouting, unflappable kickass exterior lies a lot of really unique and harrowing stuff. To get at it we’re going to peer into her troubled past and spend a little memory-time in the company of Mr Ulysses Bloodstone: adventurer; monster hunter; crappy dad.

The really fun stuff, for me, is where Journey #1 and Journey #2 intersect: where the external impinges on the internal and vice-versa. That sort of stuff is driven in no small part by the little girl Elsa’s trying to save, who – in all her terror and confusion – sets the pace, tone and destination of our adventure.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Some new Josh Trank Fantastic Four quotes

Some of it's good, like why he cast Michael B. Jordan, but then you get into stuff like
    There’s the opportunity to make something that is challenging and tragic and dramatic. The opportunity is right there in the material. We’d rather steer it in that direction as opposed to just embracing a tone that comes right off the page.
    The tone is one of the best parts about that series

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How can the Venom symbiote be a zombie?

"We'd rather do a totally different tone rather than the one that the source material actually has"

CYpGAPn.png
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How can the Venom symbiote be a zombie?
    The Marvel Zombies virus/curse/whatever it is was able to infect everyone and everything including immortal gods, robots and more so I wouldn't be surprised that symbiotes count

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.