As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superhero Thread - New Avengers Trailer is Out, Shit Looks Dope [Superheroes]

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How can the Venom symbiote be a zombie?

They actually went into this in the comics, I believe. He can't, essentially, or operates at a severely reduced level.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Si Spurrier, sold

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I found marvel zombies way, way too depressing for what should (in my mind) have been a goofy horror comedy style story

edit: oh of fucking course it was written by robert kirkman

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Si Spurrier, sold
    Starring Elsa Bloodstone, double sold

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't understand how someone can look at the golden age of Kirby and Lee and say "I can do better"

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I found marvel zombies way, way too depressing for what should (in my mind) have been a goofy horror comedy style story

I only read the first one

But I had the opposite problem

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How can the Venom symbiote be a zombie?

the symbiote reacts to the mental state of the host. That can be a good thing, in the case of Pete and Flash, or apparently a really awful thing if the host is a zombie

I don't understand how someone can look at the golden age of Kirby and Lee and say "I can do better"

I mean, they can look at those comics and then proceed to not enjoy them

It's really easy, I do it every time I look at them

edit: oh of fucking course it was written by robert kirkman
    If you want the full goofy MZ experience you should read Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness

It is hilarious

CYpGAPn.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I liked the original event a whole bunch.

And Marvel Zombies Vs. Army of Darkness was aces.

I can safely ignore everything else. But the original run+ the Ultimate Fantastic Four tie in was REALLY good.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I wonder what kind of budget F4 is working with, because I can't envision anyone going to see that movie. It'll be lucky to pull 30 Million domestic on its opening weekend, and I think the August release date (summer movie graveyard) demonstrates that even Fox knows this.

Even if the movie is good, it feels like they're specifically engineering a thing to not be a hit.

HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of budget F4 is working with, because I can't envision anyone going to see that movie. It'll be lucky to pull 30 Million domestic on its opening weekend, and I think the August release date (summer movie graveyard) demonstrates that even Fox knows this.

Even if the movie is good, it feels like they're specifically engineering a thing to not be a hit.
    Guardians of the Galaxy came out in August

CYpGAPn.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

You should! Continued improvment is how the medium advances

Trank is outright rejecting the validity of those stories.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Yeah like

I respect how important the Lee/Kirby run is

But I personally don't enjoy it that much

The important thing is looking at the history of F4 as a whole and what themes remained fairly constant throughout the decades: family, exploration, optimism and fun.

CYpGAPn.png

You should! Continued improvment is how the medium advances

Trank is outright rejecting the validity of those stories.

It would be one thing if he was...you know, intelligent, and realized that Reed in the Kirby stories attempted to make them famous in order to mask that what actually happend to them was something horrible and he could essentially never be forgiven for his IMMENSE amount of hubris at that moment, so he tried(and succeeded) to make them celeberites in order to shield them from the consequences of his actions, and that this movie would be telling the scenario if he was unable to/didn't.

But he's not!

So it's going to be...well....something.

Like I would be 150% down for if this was actually the origin story movie about Planetary's "Four". Like, super down for that.

In fact, that is now what I'm pretending this movie is.

Actually the Reed making them famous to make up for his arrogance thing first showed up in Mark Waid's run, I believe

I may be remembering it wrong but Lee/Kirby Reed was kind of an asshole and he did it just because

CYpGAPn.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Eh. Bunch of non comic book readers I know were at least intrigued by the trailer.

I mean, I get why they're doing what they're doing. The previous two movies went with a tone that was similar to the comics (they were just horrible movies, not exactly horrible adaptations) and they tanked.

Doing something that looks similar on the surface could sink the movie, so they're going a completely different (and somewhat intriguing) direction.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Like I would be 150% down for if this was actually the origin story movie about Planetary's "Four". Like, super down for that.

In fact, that is now what I'm pretending this movie is.

Now I'll be disappointed when Elijah Snow & the gang fail to show up and kick the ever loving crap out of Nu4.

Thanks; thanks a lot.

kyrcl.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Guardians of the Galaxy came out in August

That's true, but it's traditionally been used as a place for summer-styled movies the studios feel are risky or are likely to flop. That has started to change in recent years, but it's still been used to test new franchises (Guardians), uncertain reboots (last year's TMNT), and long-developing or troubled sequels (Sin City 2). If you look at the list of August releases for this year, some of the tent-poles are Fantastic Four, the Hitman reboot, and the long-in-development Man from UNCLE.

Also, no other Marvel movie has ever come out in August, and no other Marvel movie so far is scheduled to be released in August. I'm not totally sure how Guardians ended up in that spot instead of a week earlier.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a good place to throw Elsa Bloodstone

I dig it

Is it bad that I thought that was Samus at first?

Kyougu wrote: »

Eh. Bunch of non comic book readers I know were at least intrigued by the trailer.

I mean, I get why they're doing what they're doing. The previous two movies went with a tone that was similar to the comics (they were just horrible movies, not exactly horrible adaptations) and they tanked.

Doing something that looks similar on the surface could sink the movie, so they're going a completely different (and somewhat intriguing) direction.

I just feel like the franchise needs to be handled in a really particular way to be successful, and that Marvel are probably the only ones who would risk hitting that feeling. F4 isn't X-Men, and it's a lot harder to deal with this material in a way that doesn't feel too campy (like the previous films) or too serious and arguably bland (like the way this version is looking/sounding so far).

They could end up with a really great movie about space explorers who get body-horror powers or whatever, but it won't really be Fantastic Four, and I am not sure how successful that type of thing will be. If they've budgeted this thing to be comparable to one of the Millar/Vaughn/Goldman films, then sure, but otherwise I think they're being pretty risky.

Visually I like the "Thing on a stick" more than the Thing in the comics.

agents-of-shield-124983.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like the concept a lot of these battle world series but I can't help but feel that tonally speaking they are all on the same side of the coin when it comes to serious interpretations of superheroes vs lighter crazy fantasy stuff.

I'd like to see something that fits more with the avengers series that led into it.

Well presumably Secret Wars itself will be in the same tone what with Hickman writing it

CYpGAPn.png
    And Old Man Logan is probably gonna be really serious and dark as all hell judging from how Bendis views Wolverine and the character's history

CYpGAPn.png
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Holy shit is that Rena

Keepin' that "Inhuman's can get it really fuckin' rough" spirit alive i see

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Holy shit is that Rena

Keepin' that "Inhuman's can get it really fuckin' rough" spirit alive i see

you pays your money, you takes your chances

ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Alright, I really like that Entertainment weekly image.

Do we still not know if Flower Girl is going to be someone from the comics (though, admittedly they're pretty good at burying the lead on that)?

Dedwrekka on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well presumably Secret Wars itself will be in the same tone what with Hickman writing it

I hope so! It's just that they are doing lots of these other series and they are somewhat tonally samey insofar as how much they want to interact with the genre.

Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Alright, I really like that Entertainment weekly image.

Do we still not know if Flower Girl is going to be someone from the comics (though, admittedly they're pretty good at burying the lead on that)?
    There is a Raina from the comics who is a Savage Land mutate with plant powers and people have speculated she's an Inhuman version of her, what with the whole flower motif

CYpGAPn.png
    Solar wrote: »

I hope so! It's just that they are doing lots of these other series and they are somewhat tonally samey insofar as how much they want to interact with the genre.

Well, if you're looking for lighter fare, there is the Marvel Babies zone we haven't had a real announcement on yet, as well as the Howard the Duck zone.

edited February 2015
    Solar wrote: »

I don't really agree with this, though

Marvel Zombies and MZVSAOU are horror comics
    Where Monsters Dwell is an adventure comic with no superheroes
    Master of Kung-Fu is, well, a mystical kung-fu story that features superheroes but reimagined as kung-fu students and masters
    Ghost Racers is a grindhouse action spectacle
    MODOK is a crime story, starring MODOK
    Thors is being described as more similar to True Detective or Homicide: Life on the Streets starring Norse Gods than a superhero title
    Old Man Logan is a revenge western

Like, they all (except for WMD) feature superhero characters but they definitely have unique feels in regards to how much they want to interact with the standard superhero genre (A-Force, Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde) or do their own thing with the characters as a spring board

I mean, the books haven't come out yet so for all we know they do have very similar tones but on paper they seem pretty dang distinct to me. Now obviously if you don't like what they're offering than that's totally fine, different strokes, I just don't think that the offerings so far could be described as same-y at all.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    maybe raina will be a cross of that savage land character and tigra

oh hey, re: the Power Rangers fan film, Jason David Frank posted this video on his Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152742566121687&set=vb.270759951686&type=2&theater

basically he says that he was approached about being in it, but he turned it down because he believes that Power Rangers are for the children

JDF is a real cool dude, you guys

Langly wrote: »
    Could be but she looks a bit more like just an MCU Raina to me
    Earth-616_Raina.png

CYpGAPn.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Could be but she looks a bit more like just an MCU Raina to me
    Earth-616_Raina.png
    OH GOD MY LEGS

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So hyped for AoS returning

Edward James Olmos!
    Sif is coming back!
    More Dr. Hyde please!

It's official, All-New Hawkeye #1 is coming out before the final issue of Fraction's run. Specifically it comes out next week. Here is a preview.
    HAWKEYE2015001-int2-1-3d81e.jpg
    HAWKEYE2015001-int2-2-11c22.jpg
    HAWKEYE2015001-int2-3-d77a6.jpg
    HAWKEYE2015001-int2-4-24878.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.