As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Show deals

coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
Lately I've been thinking about upgrading my desktop. I know that typically, there are show deals at PAX and I was wondering if generally they are worth it? Or should I just wait and buy online?

VEIYCZd.png

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    I don't recall much of any PC hardware being sold at PAX at all last year (or other years). Only items I've ever really found were accessories like keyboards/joysticks/etc. Some older console stuff, and some obscure console stuff (there was an open source gaming handheld being sold one of the years). You'd probably get a good deal on a used console game. :)

That's about all I can think of that would be computer hardware. Though my wife seems to think there was a booth selling all sorts of computer parts, but I never found it. Maybe someone else saw some?

• BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    There are a few booths from Nvidia and Intel and a couple other pc companies But usually theyre not selling anything. Newegg might but if you put the time in they're usually giving away computer parts. I've seen people win everything from top of the line processors, graphics cards, even whole Computers.

• DeathNTaxesDeathNTaxes Registered User regular
    The Nvidia booth seemed to have a few decent markdowns on their cards last year. Rosewell was really active with contests, they were tucked away in a small theatre space upstairs. And there were a few mom and pop hardware booths that sold enough stuff to fill in the gaps on a pc build, but a lot of their deals seemed not as steep. I imagine because they have smaller margins on what they sell. Did anyone have good deals on monitors?

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Some have had discount coupons in the past, save 10-20% off blah blah blah with this code.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Isn't Rosewill Newegg's house-brand?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I would say that it depends on the upgrade. Getting a great deal on a video card or hard drive that you can carry home in your bag makes sense, buying an extra large metal tower case and squeezing it onto a plane is not (I've seen it multiple times).

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    A LOT of vendors had discount codes last year. I can remember Gunnar, Asus, and Roccat, at the very least. There were others available, too. The Roccat discount was pretty considerable...and we used it for some new keyboards and gaming mice...and I think the Gunnar one was, too.

There wasn't, from what I remember, a lot of physical hardware (as in, buy it and walk out) for sale. Some, but not a lot.

• ItaraItara Registered User regular
    I'm looking for upgrades and gaming peripherals myself.

Is pax a good place to pick up gaming keyboards and mice?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Itara wrote: »
    I'm looking for upgrades and gaming peripherals myself.

Is pax a good place to pick up gaming keyboards and mice?
    It is, actually, imo. There have been a bunch of vendors with those available and I like getting my hands on those types of devices before I buy.

• cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    Does blizzard ever sell anything wow related?

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Mice, Keyboards, Headsets will all have deals. Intel, Newegg, Nvidia usually have some kind of deal to either order at their booth and have the order shipped, or a postcard that gives you a discount code good for a week or so after pax.

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Does blizzard ever sell anything wow related?

No merch at their booths the last couple times at least! I really wish they would though.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• DearMisterKidnapperDearMisterKidnapper Boston, MARegistered User regular
    They usually have hardware on display, but not for sale. They sell keyboard, mice, headsets, etc.

• cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    What's the deal on merch stuff. I have a razor naga but might want to get a new one because one of the buttons broke (setting my macros to 1 button). It costs me like 80 bucks here, how much would the same thing cost me at pax? I'm also looking to get a good headset.

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I couldn't speak on the naga but I know Turtle Beach and Skull Candy have been there in the past selling headsets. I am not sure on pricing unfortunately but I am sure they will offer some $$$ off.

• SG_FredSG_Fred Boston, MARegistered User regular
    It's not hardware but I bought a pair of Gunnar's a few years ago that I got a decent deal on at the show.

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Last year the headset vendors I remember were Turtle Beach, Skullcandy, Sennheiser, Astro, Logitech, and a couple of others who were PC part vendors.

• coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    What's the deal on merch stuff. I have a razor naga but might want to get a new one because one of the buttons broke (setting my macros to 1 button). It costs me like 80 bucks here, how much would the same thing cost me at pax? I'm also looking to get a good headset.

I know Logitech will be there. They have great quality mice, that are generally super comfortable. I have a G700s, and a G502. Both excellent, and they have lifetime warranties.

As for a headset, check out the Astro booth.

VEIYCZd.png
  • ItaraItara Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It is, actually, imo. There have been a bunch of vendors with those available and I like getting my hands on those types of devices before I buy.

I like to get my hands on them as well. I have really small hands and I find that most gaming peripherals are designed for those inclined to larger digits, and are very uncomfortable for me. With so few places having displays to try out the gear, I've been nervous about picking anything up.