As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, if say, I refuse to pay money to Sega for a Guild Wars/Battle.net-esque service, what can I expect from the single player stuff?

I loved PSO (but not the later incarnations, as I wasn't interested in paying for the online part), but I don't recall it being that fun in single-player.

I've heard, however, that this is supposed to have a more robust offline campaign...is it even close to the old PS games?

I get the notion that it is in the vein of kingdom hearts, where you kill everything in the room to advance, but mixed with the style of the final xenosaga game which was seperated into chapters. There are [spoiler:22740b9070]12[/spoiler:22740b9070] of them and they seem to branch out later on. IGN describes them to be like a television show with the "Last time on PSU!" narrative.

IGN went over alot of aspects of the offline mode in this article.
    IGN wrote:
    The story missions in PSU are packaged similar to a television show. A voice over narrative describes the events of the next mission after one's beaten, much like a "coming next week" preview. Each mission is titled as well, again like a television episode, and each mini-story contains its own fleeting and returning characters.

With the focus they have put into it this time, I doubt it will be very flawed, this time around.

edit: beat'd

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    So, if say, I refuse to pay money to Sega for a Guild Wars/Battle.net-esque service, what can I expect from the single player stuff?

I loved PSO (but not the later incarnations, as I wasn't interested in paying for the online part), but I don't recall it being that fun in single-player.

I've heard, however, that this is supposed to have a more robust offline campaign...is it even close to the old PS games?

No. It plays out as a much more story driven version of PSO. Cinemas (mostly in game, but some CG), lots of NPCs, etc. The story is told in chapters. You talk to people, you gather info and your bot partners and go through fields of the same type that are in multi player. It plays the same as PSO always have, they just wrapped it in a better produced story and an episode like wrapper.

Can you still choose your race/class in the offline mode?

Not for the story mode.

But yes for the second offline mode, which is just the online campaign without anyone else playing.

Now, I think I'll go buy this. And I think I'll get some tacos on the way.

Mmm. Tacos.

HadjiQuest on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I didn't quite see this anywhere in the OP but do you have to have a Gold account on Xbox live to play online in addition to the Guardian Fee or is it like FFXI where you're only paying for PlayOnline.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I didn't quite see this anywhere in the OP but do you have to have a Gold account on Xbox live to play online in addition to the Guardian Fee or is it like FFXI where you're only paying for PlayOnline.
    Only need Silver, and you can buy your license through the marketplace directly, so no need to bother with Sega's site, I think.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MJ wrote:
    piL wrote:
    Man, why does everyone want to play a stupid cast? Casts are stupid.

[spoiler:630e488f7d]I want to play a cast, but everyone else is doing it :([/spoiler:630e488f7d]

Casts were great. no anti every five seconds in Episode II plus traps!

Unfortunately, I don't think Casts have that advantage anymore. I've been hit by poison before, and I said to myself "Bug... it has to be. I'm a frickin' ROBOT!". And traps are no longer cast-only. Actually, you can't even get traps unless you go Protranser (I think).

However, I'll still be a cast since they have the second highest HP and ATP, and the highest ATA. Trust me, you're gonna want that ATA especially if you're gonna be a hunter. Besides, who doesn't want massive satalite-issued guns to fly down to them and destry everything in the room?

kriegs on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    kriegs wrote:
    MJ wrote:
    piL wrote:
    Man, why does everyone want to play a stupid cast? Casts are stupid.

[spoiler:9afd380764]I want to play a cast, but everyone else is doing it :([/spoiler:9afd380764]

Casts were great. no anti every five seconds in Episode II plus traps!

Unfortunately, I don't think Casts have that advantage anymore. I've been hit by poison before, and I said to myself "Bug... it has to be. I'm a frickin' ROBOT!". And traps are no longer cast-only. Actually, you can't even get traps unless you go Protranser (I think).

However, I'll still be a cast since they have the second highest HP and ATP, and the highest ATA. Trust me, you're gonna want that ATA especially if you're gonna be a hunter. Besides, who doesn't want massive satalite-issued guns to fly down to them and destry everything in the room?
    I'm pretty sure I was able to use traps (but I was supposed to buy them if I remember correctly) as a Cast, it started me off as a ranger.. so, I dunno. :?

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited October 2006
    Kaseius wrote:
    Only need Silver, and you can buy your license through the marketplace directly, so no need to bother with Sega's site, I think.

Good. Good.

chaossoldier on
  • Pig DestroyerPig Destroyer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So the 360 people won't be able to play with PC people?

Pig Destroyer on
    edited October 2006
    So the 360 people won't be able to play with PC people?

Nope. Ps2 and PC people get to play together, but only in their regions. Xbox 360 people only get to play with their own people, but in every region the game is availiable.

chaossoldier on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If it werent so close to the Wii launch I would be all over this.

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Arcibi wrote:
    If it werent so close to the Wii launch I would be all over this.

Seriously, I kinda want to pick this up now, but with FFXII next week, I just can't justify it.

Why so many RPGs at once? Come on.

Vincent Grayson on
  • RavagerRavager Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Im so bummed this game has a monthly fee. I really want to play but I cant afford, nor do I want, to pay and extra 9.99 a month. Damn you Sega. Make it free again!

Ravager on
    edited October 2006
    Man, it's been years since I got a game at launch without preordering online, so I completely forgot Tuesday was only a ship date.

Ohh well, at least I have tacos.

HadjiQuest on
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Man, it's been years since I got a game at launch without preordering online, so I completely forgot Tuesday was only a ship date.

While some stores do get their copies on the shipping date (i.e. EBStop receiving game shipments in the early afternoon), I've been reading at PSO-World forums that PSU shipments were delayed a day because of some type of packaging problem.

Remember, I read it at PSO-world forums, so there might be some truth to that. So far though, none of the stores in my area carry the game at the moment, and Gamestop's website changed their shipping date to the 25th (which is what I was told when I called them about getting PSU today).

Ichnob on
    edited October 2006
    Ichnob wrote:
    HadjiQuest wrote:

While some stores do get their copies on the shipping date (i.e. EBStop receiving game shipments in the early afternoon), I've been reading at PSO-World forums that PSU shipments were delayed a day because of some type of packaging problem.

Remember, I read it at PSO-world forums, so there might be some truth to that. So far though, none of the stores in my area carry the game at the moment, and Gamestop's website changed their shipping date to the 25th (which is what I was told when I called them about getting PSU today).

So you're saying I should try again Thursday? or Friday, probably?

HadjiQuest on
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thursday seems to be the date that it should be in stores. The 360 version may be a day later than the PC/PS2 versions tho if what is being discussed in the pso-world forums is to be trusted. Either way I've waited this long a few days shouldn't be too bad.

Rinder on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Rinder wrote:
    Thursday seems to be the date that it should be in stores. The 360 version may be a day later than the PC/PS2 versions tho if what is being discussed in the pso-world forums is to be trusted. Either way I've waited this long a few days shouldn't be too bad.

We're not sure. We received an email at the store saying that it was delayed a day, but I honestly don't remember if that was the 360 version, or all versions.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited October 2006
    I got called from Gamestop. The PC version will be available for pickup tomorrow afternoon. *sigh* I wanted to play tonight because I have a late afternoon class tomorrow, along w/ a midterm I need to study for on Thursday. Oh well, at least I'll have my characters created tomorrow.

Ichnob on
    edited October 2006
    Did anyone get the pre order bonus soundtrack? How is it?

Episode III's was pretty well done. IMO

MJ on
    edited October 2006
    MJ wrote:
    Did anyone get the pre order bonus soundtrack? How is it?

Episode III's was pretty well done. IMO
    Unfortunately, it's not the full soundtrack. Only 9 songs on the CD. It's pretty "meh" at the moment because I do not know the context of the songs. I'd probably feel differently about it once I play the game.

Ichnob on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PSU did a terrible job at impressing me with the open beta. There are things that were unpolished to the point of not caring to see the final product even if they were fixed (likely not)

The power of the 360 should of allowed immersion but instead we hit loading screens. WoW can give immersion and given the minimum/recommended system requirements this shouldn't of been that hard for PSU. I felt the camera was clunky and so was the battle style ontop of the quest selection.

I have to say WoW is the best mmo to date. PSU has to compete with WoW and I just don't see how it could even come close.(from an objective point of view)

I wanna like PSU, But they messed up too much for me to put up with it.

Viscountalpha on
  • MavricMavric Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I wish people would stop calling games like PSU/PSO MMOs when they are obviously not. Or comparing them to each other. I mean when diablo came out no one called that an MMO and it's exactly the same thing.

Sorry off topic, anyway I hope they have it in tomorrow I went through 3 stores today hoping they had it early T_T.

Mavric on
    つまらない~。。。
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't view PSU/PSO in the same light as an MMO, but that doesn't stop me from playing it more or as much as one.

I logged well over 1500 hours into PSO back when it was on Dreamcast. Was it because it was an amazingly innovative game? No. Was it because the graphics and gameplay were dazzling? No.

I played it so much, because it was an online console RPG that was simple, fun and I made a lot of friends playing it. I hit the max level in about 2 months, yet kept playing for another 8 because it was fun hanging around my friend, fighting the bosses, and just playing the game.

It wasn't about advancing in strength, working timesinks, making money, completing quests. It was just about playing with others and having fun doing it. Thats what I look forward to in PSU as well.

Black_Heart on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mavric wrote:
    I wish people would stop calling games like PSU/PSO MMOs when they are obviously not. Or comparing them to each other. I mean when diablo came out no one called that an MMO and it's exactly the same thing.

Sorry off topic, anyway I hope they have it in tomorrow I went through 3 stores today hoping they had it early T_T.

Game-wise they are differant. But it's the same business model. This is like playing Diablo or Guild Wars only it costs 10 bucks a month to connect to the lobby. I just can't justify spending money on that. It's not an MMO, but it costs money like one, so I can kinda see where people are coming with the comparisons. Why pay a monthly fee for PSU if you could play an MMO for the same cost? (and possibly come away with a better experience)

Yoshua on
  • MavricMavric Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yoshua wrote:
    Mavric wrote:

Game-wise they are differant. But it's the same business model. This is like playing Diablo or Guild Wars only it costs 10 bucks a month to connect to the lobby. I just can't justify spending money on that. It's not an MMO, but it costs money like one, so I can kinda see where people are coming with the comparisons. Why pay a monthly fee for PSU if you could play an MMO for the same cost? (and possibly come away with a better experience)

Good point.

Also I totally am on the same page as you Black heart. To me sometimes diabloish games are much better then MMOs. MMOs are fun but the PSOs and the like have that fun ability of being able to actually finish levels and feel like your getting somewhere, even though your not, but the monster killing is much more fun then auto swing!

Mavric on
    つまらない~。。。
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PSO is justified in its cost to me, since Sega will be producing future content updates and "episodes". There is already an episode soon to be released for the Japanese version that continues the offline story and introduces a new character.

Half-Life Episodes costs money don't they? Do you have to subscribe to steam? or is it a free service? I don't use Steam so I wouldn't know.

Regardless, Half-Life 2 gets new episodes and you have to pay for them. PSU will be getting close to the same thing, except you don't pay for them individually, you just buy a month of playtime for $10, then cancel when you feel like it.

Cheating and Hacking was prevalent in Diablo 1 and 2 was it not? Sega is pretty determined to deter that with PSU and their servers are a lot more than just a chatroom between Peer-to-Peer servers.

Yes I agree PSU isn't a true MMO, but it doesn't cost as much as one either. Because I don't know any MMOs that cost 33 cents a day. (unless you count free Korean ones, which usually aren't that great). Guild Wars isn't a real MMO either for that matter, but it makes its money just in a different manner than PSU.

I'm just saying that I think PSU is justified in a small monthly fee for server upkeep and content updates.

Black_Heart on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PSO is justified in its cost to me, since Sega will be producing future content updates and "episodes". There is already an episode soon to be released for the Japanese version that continues the offline story and introduces a new character.

Half-Life Episodes costs money don't they? Do you have to subscribe to steam? or is it a free service? I don't use Steam so I wouldn't know.

Steam is free. The episodes are like expansions so while they cost money, it's a totally optional expense. Really apples and oranges here.
    Regardless, Half-Life 2 gets new episodes and you have to pay for them. PSU will be getting close to the same thing, except you don't pay for them individually, you just buy a month of playtime for $10, then cancel when you feel like it.

This isn't even remotely the same. You are not required to buy Half Life 2 episodes to play or play online. It's there as an option, but it is not a requirement in any way. To access the multiplayer content of PSU requires paying the monthly fee.

This is akin to Blizzard charging a monthly fee to play Warcraft 3 or Diablo 1/2 on Battle.net.
    Cheating and Hacking was prevalent in Diablo 1 and 2 was it not? Sega is pretty determined to deter that with PSU and their servers are a lot more than just a chatroom between Peer-to-Peer servers.

It was in Diablo 1, closed battle.net games of Diablo 2 were much more secure. Cheats still cropped up, but they were squashed by Blizzard, not to mention closing accounts tied to people they found to be cheating. Did I mention they did all of this for free ?
    Yes I agree PSU isn't a true MMO, but it doesn't cost as much as one either. Because I don't know any MMOs that cost 33 cents a day. (unless you count free Korean ones, which usually aren't that great). Guild Wars isn't a real MMO either for that matter, but it makes its money just in a different manner than PSU.

It doesn't cost much less either. And equivalent services are available that don't charge monthly fees (battle.net and Guild Wars for example). Guild Wars may sell new content for money, but again this is optional. You won't be cut off from playing online if you choose not to get the new content (I'm not exactly sure what they've released and charged for however since I do not play Guild Wars).
    I'm just saying that I think PSU is justified in a small monthly fee for server upkeep and content updates.

And I am just saying I don't see things that way. Not when other companies have shown that it's unneccessary. Personally I will hold off and wait to hear if the offline game is worth buying, because right now that is all I'd see myself playing. I won't pay a monthly fee for a specialized matchmaking service.

Yoshua on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm probably going to pick this up today.

So I hear that you have to hand your your card out to other people if you want them to contact you should their be a need. Though I like the idea of anyone being able to reach me in the game should their need my specific set of talents (you will often meet new friends this way), the idea of having a more controlled way to be contacted is also interesting (you often meet new ennemies with the old way too).

Also, there's no name restriction. You can have 10 people call themselves Gandalf (God help us).

Do we have to physically meet up to do this exchanging of cards? If so it would be a good idea to schedual a meet up of some kind.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited October 2006
    You know, I bet if people hadn't gone for the monthly fee make when v2 came out, we wouldn't be paying it now.

I want to play PSU, as much as I played PSO, but I just cannot justify handing them $10 a month to do so.

Vincent Grayson on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Frugus wrote:
    Also, there's no name restriction. You can have 10 people call themselves Gandalf (God help us).

Do we have to physically meet up to do this exchanging of cards? If so it would be a good idea to schedual a meet up of some kind.

I actually like the fact that there's no name restriction. I'd be mad as hell if some prepubescent, spoiled little kid stole my name, in which there would be nothing I could do about it. Instead, each character you create gets a really long ID number, which truely acts as your identifier.

I like the whole idea of being able to visit other people's rooms. It's pretty spiffy.

kriegs on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Having both a laptop and a PS2, which version would you get?

My laptop is a 1.6x2/1gig of ram/6100 video card, so I don't know if it will run the PC version without lag, even though I would like to be able to play other places than sitting in front of the console...

fallaxdraco on
  • ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Goddamn

20 minutes until EB opens and I hound them with phonecalls every hour until its in.

I must have this game.

Zonghui on
    edited October 2006
    Zonghui wrote:
    Goddamn

20 minutes until EB opens and I hound them with phonecalls every hour until its in.

I must have this game.

Dont' harass them until 11 or 12, most of the time, shipments aren't in until at *least* 11.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited October 2006

My laptop is a 1.6x2/1gig of ram/6100 video card, so I don't know if it will run the PC version without lag, even though I would like to be able to play other places than sitting in front of the console...

I'm getting the PC version simply because my PS2 will be occupied by OKAMI and FFXII, and the game room in particular when Wii hits. So it will not get much playtime then.
    On the PC I'll get to use the utlity stuff like fraps or windower perhaps. I would prefer the couch, but Iknow I'll get more mileage here.

MJ on
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Not only will I hand over the $10 for a wonderful helping of PSU, I will also lovingly fellate the entire game staff. If you don't want the fees, don't play the game. I can't stand traditional MMOs, but I played me a good bit of Blue Burst, and would probably still play if their were more people in the game. To me, the money is well worth it.

Etch on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MJ wrote:

I'm getting the PC version simply because my PS2 will be occupied by OKAMI and FFXII, and the game room in particular when Wii hits. So it will not get much playtime then.
    On the PC I'll get to use the utlity stuff like fraps or windower perhaps. I would prefer the couch, but Iknow I'll get more mileage here.

Good point. Also I want to play a ranger/gunfighter/whatever you call it, and I like aiming/fpses with a mouse a LOT more than I like them with a console controller. Hopefully I can minimize the graphics settings and it will run okay... and if that fails I can always run it fine on my desktop.

fallaxdraco on
    edited October 2006
    MJ wrote:

Good point. Also I want to play a ranger/gunfighter/whatever you call it, and I like aiming/fpses with a mouse a LOT more than I like them with a console controller. Hopefully I can minimize the graphics settings and it will run okay... and if that fails I can always run it fine on my desktop.

You won't be aiming with the mouse though, will you? Won't the mouse just control the camera? Or are the controls vastly different for the PC version?

Vincent Grayson on
    edited October 2006
    I'm using a logitech pad to play on my PC. I wish it was noon already.

Ichnob on
  • StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ichnob wrote:
    I'm using a logitech pad to play on my PC. I wish it was noon already.

Oh yes... today will be fun. PSU for PC, .hack//G.U. for PS2, and Magical Starsign for DS. Its tempting to see how many I can play at the same time. I just reinstalled the drivers for my 360 controller for PC so I should be set for PSU.

StriderEdge on
  • catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm also debating which system to get PSU for.

I have a PS2, 360, and a PC capable of playing the game. I consider myself a PC gamer primarily and have many more PC games than all console games combined.

I'm leaning towards the 360 version though because I'm hoping I can recreate the freaking awesome experience I had with PSO on DC. Plus, I think a game like this will handle better with a controller.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png