As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cuticle care

DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
edited February 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
The cuticles on one (yes, just one) of my fingers has been retracted for I don't know how long. It's not bothered me much until recently, when my hands have been getting quite dry during this winter. And I look online and it turns out that cuticles not being down on your nail can be the sign of an infection or other bad stuff. I doubt it's anything serious because it's been this way for a while and it's not painful or anything but now I feel like I should look into getting it better before it turns into anything serious.

But looking for any kind of nail care online is also a total shit show because it inevitably draws up all the beauty advertisements and holistic remedies that don't actually do shit for you or can even harm you. So I figure I'd ask the intelligent part of the internet (you guys): What should I do to get my cuticle growing properly again?

DarkPrimus on

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I spent the last few years finally getting over biting my nails only to notice that my cuticles have a tendency to dry out and split / crack. This probably went unnoticed since when your'e biting your nails that usually takes all of the attenuation.

I started using http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Cuticle-Care-Organic-African/dp/B0018Z5R8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424827773&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+cuticle+cream at night and for the most part my cuticles are soft and non-cracked.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    That seems like it might help keep my cuticles healthier, but would it help heal the finger that's got issues?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    When I started using it it helped the damaged cuticles grow a lot faster, figured that would help your retraction grow out? Beats me, maybe see a dermatologist?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I'll try that out before consulting a doctor, because... money.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    Out of curiosity, did you cut the finger, or something? I have a retracted cuticle on my thumb that has literally been like that since middle school, because I got a deep cut there. It even effects the growth of my nail (there are little waves in the nail where the cut actually damaged the cuticle). Its actually mostly normal now, what, 14 years later?

If you don't moisturize your hands at all, the creme will probably help. If you work in food service or another industry that has your hands in sanitizer/a sink a lot, do your self a favor and buy gloves. Gloves for home dishwashing tasks can also provide some relief if your hands are super dry. Also, if you bite your nails at all, stop.

Iruka on
  • Options
    I haven't cut this particular finger before, no.