As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2015 Community Events - Pre-PAX Dinner 3/5/15 - 6:30PM-???

TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky DouchebagMassachusettsRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in Pinny Arcade
COME TO LEGAL SEAFOODS TEST KITCHEN AROUND 6:30PM, EARLIER IF POSSIBLE. If you're going to be late it should be fine, I just want to make sure we actually get space.

JOIN THE WHATSAPP GROUP IF YOU HAVEN'T YET! PM either @Frostbyte @PedroAsani or myself your cell number and we'll get you in the group. We'll discuss staff sightings, pinformation, meetups, etc... assuming phone service isn't awful.

Post in this if you plan to come! This will give us an idea of how many people are going. We're going to take a head count so we know what we're working with. There will be more things after, but this is the most important.
http://goo.gl/forms/Je78ZfiQy7

TENTATIVE THINGS WE'RE GOING TO DO:

Thursday 3/5:

Pre-PAX Harpoon Brewery Adventure - I'll be at Harpoon Brewery all afternoon probably... from at least noon until check-in at the Westin I'm sure. If you go, get pretzels with peanut butter sauce. Trust me, and you can thank me later.

Pre-PAX Pinny Arcade Dinner - I have no idea where this will be, but let's gauge interest here! If you'd like to attend, post below. I might ask for help for organizing this one.

Friday 3/6:

Pre-PAX Breakfast - 7AM - Starbucks at the Westin. Look for people with pins.

Saturday 3/7:

Pinny Arcade Trading Event - 5:30PM-7:30PM - We'll all be here. Bring fodder.

Pinny Arcade Trading 101 Panel - ShadowScar, Pureval, Serpico and myself will be on this. It will be a good time. If you feel you want to attend, please do, if not we can meet up later for alcoholic beverages of sorts.

Sunday 3/8:

???

This was slopilly thrown together, please post ideas/PM me on other things to do once we get more info! Namely on the dinner.

TheAggroCraig on

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    As always I will be busy Thursday, but I might recommend the Legal Seafood Test Kitchen. Its about 4 blocks from the BCEC, and is the test kitchen for the Legal Seafood chain. Its far enough away that it does not get the huge crush that the closer places see, but close enough its an easy walk (pending weather). They seem to have slightly lower prices and interesting things on the menu. I often go there for foods of the sit down or take out variety during the show.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    As always I will be busy Thursday, but I might recommend the Legal Seafood Test Kitchen. Its about 4 blocks from the BCEC, and is the test kitchen for the Legal Seafood chain. Its far enough away that it does not get the huge crush that the closer places see, but close enough its an easy walk (pending weather). They seem to have slightly lower prices and interesting things on the menu. I often go there for foods of the sit down or take out variety during the show.

The words seafood and test don't sit well with me. Sounds like a recipe for food poisoning...

Nasty fish not withstanding, I'm in for everything I can get involved in. I also just realized, my heaviest piece of clothing I own now is a hoodie...should I bring a coat? Last year at east I didn't need one.

• maywestmaywest Registered User regular
    We ate there last PAX East. It was really good. Not really a test kitchen.

Picmin and I will be in town Thursday, and dinner with everyone sounds like a great idea.

And, and course, we will be in line Friday morning ...

• aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    I'll be taking the red-eye in from San Francisco on Thursday night, and will hopefully arrive in time to stand in line on Friday morning. Hope to see many of you at the various events.

• silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie, my vote for community events surrounds pretty strongly things that occur in the Westin. I had boatloads of fun there last year, saw most of the staff, watched Thornwatch run by Krahulik, saw and hung out with a lot of the strip search kids. Chatted with Gavin for what must have been an hour.

I know it won't be quiet.... but our gathererings aren't exactly quiet anyhow.

P.S.- I'm still not 100% sure I'll be there, but at this point pending a place to stay, I'm at like 75% likely to be there.

• misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm arriving Wednesday night after time travelling from LAX, so I'm up for something on Thursday! Might need to head to the convention center for a bit to help with setup, but otherwise I would like to see some people!

Also, can anyone with previous experience let me know if this snowstorm business is going to clear up before East? As a cold-fearing Australian I don't own any clothes warmer than a jacket, and I don't want to die.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Instead of Legal Seafoods I HIGHLY recommend doing the dinner at Finale. It is a desert restaurant and is incredible. I will be getting into town sometime on Thursday.

• CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    I'm up for dinner! I'm driving out from Western Mass as soon as my kid brother gets home from school, which should leave plenty of time for me to dump him in Allston and meet up wherever.

Also regarding the weather for non-locals: honestly, who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The end of March is usually ok but since this is the beginning it's probably the most fickle weather time of the year. My birthday is that Saturday, and I can say from experience that sometimes my birthday is bright and slightly warm and sometimes it's cold and miserable.

Given how awful it's already been, I'm leaning towards mother nature just getting tired by the time PAX rolls around. Hopefully. Maybe.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    http://goo.gl/forms/Je78ZfiQy7
    Use this link please I made this for east for food ideas.

darkinfero on
    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I really like the Atlantic Beer Garden if people are not into seafood. I think I linked to the menu.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So... we need to get some commitments here people, votes on restaurants, etc. Plus I think the less distance the better considering the snow and cold and whatnot.

Personally I'm with @rentfn and think Atlantic Beer Garden is a great idea, because their food is awesome and they have a decent beer selection.

I think an earlier dinner start would be smarter (6PM if possible), and then people can drift in shortly after I'm sure, and any later than that and we'll be fighting with others for spots since it will obviously be crowded with everyone showing up for PAX.

Post feedback, we're only 15 days out, so I'd like to have an idea by the end of this weekend on numbers and such.

http://goo.gl/forms/Je78ZfiQy7 New Link
    Cut off date 2/20

My Pin collection
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Seconded on Legal Test Kitchen. Never crowded, nice taste of Boston.

• silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    I'm down for ABG, but I'm gonna say it again, like the millionth time, staying at the Westin for gaming night pre-PAX is SUPER DUPER FUN. I was gonna string more rhyming words together with Super, but the rest of them don't work well with fun!

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Believe me, I plan to spend most of my evening at the Westin :)

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I'm in, but I suggest 7pm because many people aren't getting into Boston until after 5pm.

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Signed up, hope to meet some of the forumites here in person. As I'm sure I've ran into some of you at South, but just didn't know it.

• FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    responded.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ur6AQpAhAW-j28m9lYuAefVnnW06ScRPUWIg4EgRzw4/edit?usp=sharing

1st place Legal Seafood Test Kitchen with 8 votes. 2nd place Atlantic Beer garden with 5 votes

Start time winner: 9 at 6PM

My Pin collection
    So, it's Legal Seafood Test Kitchen at 6 pm?

To appease the few that can't make it until 7, I'll likely push it to 6:30 so we can have the stragglers show up a little late without missing much.

Apparently reservations can be made online very easily too, so that's promising.

I hope to have the bags at dinner, for those who ordered them.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Is it too late to get my number attached to the reservation? I want to eat lobster with all of you.

What are the rules on +1s? Acceptable? Come alone, be sure you are not followed?

Pins! Pins everywhere!

I will also have pins from south for people who choose a East pickup.

My Pin collection
  • GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »
    I will also have pins from south for people who choose a East pickup.

Do you have a schedule for when to get those from you? I wasn't planning on going to the dinner, but I have to stop by the game night to get a stein on Thursday. Or I can hit you up on Whatsapp sometime during the con as well.

I will be everywhere. I will have all the pick up pins with me.

My Pin collection
  • Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Has the reservation been made? My pinny-less friends were expressing interest in coming as well. I don't want to cause problems though, so if that's a no-go it's no problem.

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »
    I will be everywhere. I will have all the pick up pins with me.

Yay. Thanks!

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Based on South, we don't do reservations, so everyone is welcome. We just show up and tell them to put all the tables together and warn the kitchen.

Best to join the WhatsApp group for PAX East and let us know on the Thursday, so we can give them a heads up. But don't worry about bringing extras. They will be fed and regaled with Pin stories.

• Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Rad. How do I join the WhatsApp group?

Also for the group at large, what time should I get in line Fri am if I'd like to make sure I get the poly pin? Is anyone interested in a plan to meet up and wait together?

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
    Rad. How do I join the WhatsApp group?

Also for the group at large, what time should I get in line Fri am if I'd like to make sure I get the poly pin? Is anyone interested in a plan to meet up and wait together?

Send one of the Admins of the group your phone number and they can add you.

Easiest way is to get added to the Pinny Pals permanent thread (Spamalicious, hope you charge your phone constantly) and then request an add to the East one.

Current Admins of the Pinny Pals group are: Me, @TheAggroCraig , @00Fayt00 , @Duckie , @NowHiringHenchmen , @Frostbyte , @Ayefkay which hopefully covers most time zones.

I plan to bring bags to dinner, if I can get them from my girlfriend beforehand. I hear the box weighs 26 lbs!

If you ordered a bag, and plan to be at dinner, let me know!

maywest wrote: »
    I plan to bring bags to dinner, if I can get them from my girlfriend beforehand. I hear the box weighs 26 lbs!

Yes.

• FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular

As anxious as we are to get the bags, I would say no need to lug all 26 pounds of them to the restaurant. Perhaps just set-up a Hotel lobby pick-up around 10pm? Up to you, just tossing out ideas lol

My biggest concern is GETTING the bags. I didn't realize that my friend lives a bit outside of Boston. I am hoping to see her (and get the bags) before the dinner!

My biggest concern is GETTING the bags. I didn't realize that my friend lives a bit outside of Boston. I am hoping to see her (and get the bags) before the dinner!

We have a few people driving in, if transport is an issue I'm sure one person doesn't mind a slight detour. Ask the various Chat places.

PedroAsani wrote: »

We have a few people driving in, if transport is an issue I'm sure one person doesn't mind a slight detour. Ask the various Chat places.

@maywest I'm driving in Thursday from the Western reaches of the state, with time to spare, so if you end up needing a hand, I can most likely swing by wherever she is and pick up the bags for you.

In any case, I ordered a bag and will be at dinner. :)

Pins! Pins everywhere!

What town outside of Boston? If it's closer to me I could potentially grab them too.