As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Leonard Nimoy Dies at 83

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm super sad now.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Part of me is sad, because Nimoy seems like an awesome person in general and he brought life to a character that will likely live on forever.

But this day had to come, and while it is sad it is not tragic or unexpected (I was expecting this to happen when the news of his hospitalization came a few days ago), and it does nothing to lessen his accomplishments.

Thankfully, William Shatner is too stubborn to die so we will always have one of the "Big 3" with us.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I was a nerd, but never a star trek nerd.

My first ever experience with Nimoy was Seaman, on the SEGA Dreamcast.

He honestly felt like a friend. That whole wacky bizarre talk to you fish game was insanity, but the way that every time I turned on the Dreamcast, you'd just hear him say "Hello, this is Leonard Nimoy, and welcome back. Today is..." And he'd give you this quick update.

He made it feel like I was doing this crazy science experiment WITH someone, and just made that whole thing go from a bizarre game to an actual memorable experience.

From then on I always read what I'd see he wrote, watch when I saw he was on tv, and listen whenever I heard his voice. And I think I'm a little bit better a person for it. Thanks, Leonard.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    This is a pretty poor quality video, but Creation Entertainment is kind of a garbage organization and doesn't put shit online properly.

http://youtu.be/5kgGCBkEASA

somewhere in that crowd, I'm pretty drunk.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    no :(

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Boston is his home town, I wonder if there will be a memorial or anything somewhere. PAX is next week.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    God...this hits me really hard. Normally I am saddened but not hit like this with these sorts of things. Came close with Robin Williams as I loved his work but Leonard Nimoy was...he was someone I feel like...shaped me a bit. Growing up I watched stuff like Transformers and He-Man but I remember first being introduced to Star Trek with the movies early on then found out my father loved the classic series. We watched them together at times and I always felt that his portrayal of Mr. Spock was someone I gravitated towards because he was so logical and was into science. Before the age of 10 I was already doing the, as my mother called it, "Spock eyebrow raise" which I still do to this day.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The story you are about to hear is true. By which I mean, it's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer... Is no.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    He was so culturally ubiquitous and omnipresent since I was a kid, it felt like he was floating in the background my whole life. I guess because of that I expected him to live forever.

Pretty big bummer.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    it's funny really, i feel like Nimoy as Spock taught a lot about how to be a decent human being. not to mention Nimoy himself doing the same.

Live Long and Prosper.

ffNewSig.png
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I loved the chemistry he and Zachary Quinto had after Star Trek. Two people who really seemed to enjoy one another's company.

Loved them in this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UengULt6t7Q

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    dang :(

vEaRQgH.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    lookit all those bell bottoms

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    It's the internet, so I give it T minus 30 until someone comes along to point out that he wasn't, you know, a real space hero. He was "just" an actor. And, of course, that person will be massively missing the point.

In one respect, Leonard Nimoy absolutely was, like the rest of that cast, an actor burdened with (as a critic I read once put it) a very ambiguous relationship to the role that made him most successful.

But the interesting thing is that he made his peace with that. He didn't spend his life complaining that he'd always be identified with this one character, but eventually embraced both it and the fact that it had touched and changed millions - literally millions of people! I mean, can you even imagine that? - for the better.

At a time when the rest of American culture was sending out messages of war and violence and outdated gender norms and, most of all, fear - fear of the Russians, fear of minorities, fear of science, fear of change - Spock was just quietly bro-ing out on the Enterprise, showing us by example how to be better, more worthwhile people.

The character was written to be smart, but because of Nimoy's portrayal, what everyone remembers about Spock is that he was wise. Unlike too many people I've encountered in the real world, he didn't use his intelligence to make other people feel small. He didn't abuse or harangue. He was tolerant or even indulgent of people's "illogical" quirks and eccentricities, greeting every new facet of human behavior with a raised eyebrow and the all-purpose declarative: "Fascinating."

Leonard Nimoy, the man, embraced all of that. He could have flipped the world the bird and crashed a BMW on a coke bender on the PCH to prove to us that the qualities we projected onto him were, after all, those of a fictional character, but he made the strange and odd and wonderful choice to just fuckin' roll with it instead and start attending NASA shuttle launches and promoting science education and supporting the humanities and generally doing his bit to try and make that fictional world inch a little bit closer to reality.

What a fascinating choice.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    and of course, Mr. Nimoy was one of the finest vocalists the world has ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_duzQzS1I

ffNewSig.png
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Why'd Nimoy have to go before Takei? Oh cruel fate.

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Holy crap.

I literally just finished watching the Plinkett review of Star Trek 09.

:(

Somestickguy on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait what's wrong with Takei?

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Nothing, he's awesome.

Takei is a sassy, funny asshole that most people don't realize is an asshole because he's sassy and funny.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's what I thought until I read a post that made it seem like he should have died before Nimoy.

let's not go there shall we?

ffNewSig.png
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    The world is a lesser, far less wonderful place without him. RIP :( .

Nimoy falls into the category of "just always been there." I know he's been retired/semi-retired for some time, but its weird knowing that he's gone.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Rest in peace good sir...

At 83, he had a long lived, and I dare to say, prosperous life.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Takei is a sassy, funny asshole that most people don't realize is an asshole because he's sassy and funny.

So he deserves to die. Clearly.

Perhaps it's time to begin investigating options for personal growth on your part, friend.

rRwz9.gif
    I agree with the above post.

There's a time and place for talking about that but it's not here.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

so glad they kept the spock-ability when they replaced the old $5s.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Okay, that's pretty great. Point: Canada's silly toy money.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, say what you will about Takei, but where everyone else lost an icon, he just lost one of his oldest friends today. That's gotta hurt something fierce

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Look, you're supposed to leave the world in a better state than when you entered it.

He did that, right up to the point where he fucking left it. The world is a worse place than it was a day ago, because he's not in it anymore.

I usually don't give two shits about celebrity death, but for some reason this one fucking HURTS.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

silly water proof, tear proof, heat proof, easily identifiable, almost entirely counterfeit proof toy money

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

silly water proof, tear proof, heat proof, easily identifiable, almost entirely counterfeit proof toy money

Yes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

if the US used that kind of money the Goonies wouldn't be the same movie!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

ok fuck why is it the one Riker does that makes me cry

ffNewSig.png