As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Friend needs support system, has none.

RendRend Registered User regular
Hey everyone.

So a friend of mine is in generally shaky emotional/mental health, and it's been problematic recently. I don't think she has much of a support system at all. There's me, and I do what I can, but I cannot be a whole support system alone.

I'm going to be having a conversation later to day to hopefully help her plan some steps to to start building one that works. My question is this. She suffers from probably depression, if not then perhaps SAD. I'm trying to do some reading, but it would be really helpful if anyone here who suffers or knows someone who suffers from this sort of condition could give me any insight as to what kind of support system you might have, what steps you might take to build or fortify it, what you need from it, etc.

Anything to help me prepare myself for this conversation. I'm not completely uninformed about this, but I feel like something needs to happen in the affirmative as immediately as possible, so I would love to be prepared when I walk in.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Do you have the ability to take her to a reputable therapist in your area (and maybe go with her to start that process)?

One person can be all the difference you need, but typically you will want lots of friends and family to be there to help. Does she have any relatives in the area on cordial terms?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Enc wrote: »
    Do you have the ability to take her to a reputable therapist in your area (and maybe go with her to start that process)?

One person can be all the difference you need, but typically you will want lots of friends and family to be there to help. Does she have any relatives in the area on cordial terms?

The very first thing I'm going to do this afternoon is sit down with her and make an appointment with a therapist. She's receptive to improvement so that, as well as this conversation, should not be in issue. She has relatives but her family has fallen on somewhat hard times recently, and she's always had them. What I'm looking to try and do is help her to build an extra-familial support system.

Also, she's my ex-wife, so it would probably be emotionally unhealthy for her were I her only support.

Rend on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    family is always going to be the best support system, if it's feasible. yes, sometimes they'll be limited in agency, but don't discount them
    them for financial reason, or because there's a rocky recent history. if there's any love left there at all they should be involved

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    They are definitely still involved. She has a very close relationship with her parents. Again I'm trying to focus on the aspects of a support system which don't involve her family, since that's where she's lacking.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    They are definitely still involved. She has a very close relationship with her parents. Again I'm trying to focus on the aspects of a support system which don't involve her family, since that's where she's lacking.

The only support system you can help build for her is the one where you support her in going to a therapist. Making friends and letting people into her life is something she has to do. You can't really do any of that for her.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'd reccomend suggesting that she see a therapist.
    I assume you're in America, and I don't know exactly how it is there, but in Australia, pretty much every university has a master's level psychology training clinic, which are supervised by experienced psychologists.
    While yes, by attending these clinics your therapists will be students, they are held to the standards of psychologists, receive qualified supervision, and offer extremely cheap therapy.

Might be worth checking if there's a University in your friends area with a Master's program and looking into the possibility of attending their training clinic? If you find one, give them a call, ask about what services they provide and the cost.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    I'd reccomend suggesting that she see a therapist.
    I assume you're in America, and I don't know exactly how it is there, but in Australia, pretty much every university has a master's level psychology training clinic, which are supervised by experienced psychologists.
    While yes, by attending these clinics your therapists will be students, they are held to the standards of psychologists, receive qualified supervision, and offer extremely cheap therapy.

Might be worth checking if there's a University in your friends area with a Master's program and looking into the possibility of attending their training clinic? If you find one, give them a call, ask about what services they provide and the cost.

There are non-profit programs in pretty much every major city I've been in in the US, where you see a therapist who is a grad student and your case/therapist are overseen by a licensed professional.

They offer free/income-based payment options for people without insurance coverage.