As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha: Volume 1 Kickstarter! - Pinny Involved

• Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I would prefer to keep the pin limited to one per backer.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Agreed, the more that go out to pin traders, the more that are out in the world so more chances for non backers to trade for it. Pretty sure there wont be all 1000 backing for a pin each

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Our DLCs wouldn't be worth much if everyone had 2. There is something to be said for keeping things truly limited. Even though vendors have to order 1k pins do they really have to give that many out? Can't they just destroy the rest they don't use? It also seems like most people just want unlimited pins for basically free. What is that about? What have you ever collected that was worth your time that you could just get everything you wanted without any effort?

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    I don't collect to have pins that have an extremely high intrinsic value. I collect because I want them. I also am part of this community to help others get the pins they enjoy. I think it would be dumb and wasteful to destroy pins just to increase rarity. Also there are plenty of challenging pins that take a lot of effort. I do not think just because it's a kickstarter the pin needs to be rare. The DLC was at a time when very few collecting, and it was rare due to the unusual amount made. Also, it is up to Katie to decide how to distribute her pins. If she feels they are a good way to help her raise funds and increase her brand awareness then it is fine if she allows us to get more. I do not want to back this KS just to get a pin because I think it will be worth more in the future. I would rather back it because I believe in the project and be rewarded with a pin that I enjoy. I am one of the weirdos on these forums that feels that everyone should be able to get the pins they want with out having to sell their first born. If we could get two most would use them to trade and thus spread the love to those who cannot afford the tier but still love Katie's work or love the PA pins. There are pins that will naturally be more rare, but to do so on purpose is silly.

• Options
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    Our DLCs wouldn't be worth much if everyone had 2. There is something to be said for keeping things truly limited. Even though vendors have to order 1k pins do they really have to give that many out? Can't they just destroy the rest they don't use? It also seems like most people just want unlimited pins for basically free. What is that about? What have you ever collected that was worth your time that you could just get everything you wanted without any effort?

Maybe youre right about values and stuff, and im probably looking at it in the 'lawful good' sense where id love to see everyone get atleast a chance to get it even if it means a pin wont be worth as much. A more extreme example fir sure, but i was so mad, and quite literally just about to quit pin trading because of how naughty dog decided to initially distribute the nd pin. Basically, if my ramblings make any sense (writing this on my phone while in bed) i think there should and can be other ways to make a pin percieved valuable, not just "destroy the rest" as you say.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    evil santaevil santa To infinity...and beyond!Registered User regular
    I would love if they allowed the high-tier KS backers to have an additional pin because it promotes the trading aspect of the hobby. It would mean that more Pinny Arcade enthusiasts would still be able to support Katie's project and contribute to the sense of community we try to build on this forum.

Pinny Pals Profile

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
  • Options

If I cared about the "value" of a hobby, it would cease to be a hobby and just be accounting. While I hold no ill against those who enjoy accounting, I find money to be something that I only care about to put a roof on my head, food in my belly and to do the things I want to do. I don't love my pin collection because it has a monetary value; I love my pin collection because it reminds me of the fun and joy I've had at PAX, the people I've met, and the fictional characters that have brought joy to my life.

I don't see anyone wanting unlimited pins, nor do I see them asking for free. I see people who enjoy the hobby that want a pin for their collection and a pin that they can trade down the road to someone who may not have been around for the kickstarter, but still loves Katie's wonderful work.

Generally the only people who want to keep things truly limited are the people who have something that they want to drive the monetary value, which they equate to "collectors value" up and lord over those who don't have what they have. Money is fleeting, and one day, whatever ebay value you assign to your collection could be gone and never return; the nostalgia, fond memories and connection you have to a hobby can last your whole life and isn't subject to market fluctuations.

tl;dr: CW is awesome and you should kickstart this campaign.

• Options
    You do realize there are already limited edition pins right? I guess PA don't know what they are doing? My guess is there are actual pin trading models(Disney) that can already be used to study these types of micro economies that show not everyone can have a pin.

"Generally the only people who want to keep things truly limited are the people who have something that they want to drive the monetary value, which they equate to "collectors value" up and lord over those who don't have what they have."

This is actually hilarious. There is an entire thread devoted to people who have pins others don't, and probably won't get.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Yes but the LE pins still have 1200-1500 pins. which is more than the minimum. So some non LE pins are actually more rare. Rarity will happen organically we do not need to artificially create it.

It's not about "everyone having a pin" It's about everyone who wants it having a reasonable way to get it. We also encourage trading, and you cannot trade if you don't have an extra. I don't know about the rest of you but I do not want Beanie Babies or something similar.

And the DLC pin thread is not about money or ego it is about the community coming together to locate them all.

Gerzzog on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    You do realize there are already limited edition pins right? I guess PA don't know what they are doing? My guess is there are actual pin trading models(Disney) that can already be used to study these types of micro economies that show not everyone can have a pin.

"Generally the only people who want to keep things truly limited are the people who have something that they want to drive the monetary value, which they equate to "collectors value" up and lord over those who don't have what they have."

This is actually hilarious. There is an entire thread devoted to people who have pins others don't, and probably won't get.

Do you ever have anything positive to say? People are in this thread discussing how they enjoy Katie's work and want to be able to have an extra pin to TRADE, they're not asking for the world, and if there's going to be an excess of pins that she won't sell, she might as well allow backers to get an extra. It would be an awful business decision to just "destroy" 50% of the pins, that just defeats the entire purpose of a Kickstarter, is wasteful, etc. I get it a lot of companies do this with exclusives, but not one person who is trying to fund her campaign.

• Options
    LE pins can usually be multiple purchases per person, and by the end, one way or another theyre all out in the world, even if there will only ever be 1000

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The kickstarter has been successful and the first update is up. They've also commented on stretch goals and additional incentives for those that want to help make this project a reality. Because the project has already accumulated $40k, an extra postcard set has been added to all tiers $45 and above. Additional stretch goals are mapped up to $60k, and while it doesn't say anything about awarding additional pins (or a way to purchase them in addition to your pledge), there is a possibility that the more that is pledged, the better the reward. The update has already stated that they will be using a book designer and better inking and colouring to make the book a better product than it was initially.

For those that want a great book, it seems now is even better value for all. And for those who are going to wait it out in the hopes that the book and/or pin will be sold seperately - I'd say that you will get a more premium product. Katie was obviously stoked that it has been successful.

It will be interesting to see just how the kickstarter will end. I'm guessing it will finish in the $60-70k region.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Kris Straub's is trending toward $135k, it'll be interesting to see what Katie's levels out at in the next few days.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    are the pins on his KS pinny arcades or not?

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »

Nay, though he did mention giving Iris pins to everyone who backs at $40+ since he hit a stretch goal.

• Options
    aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    Nay, though he did mention giving Iris pins to everyone who backs at $40+ since he hit a stretch goal.

Though I would love to see the Cadavre pin be official!

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Jake Capps was warned for this.

Do you ever have anything positive to say? People are in this thread discussing how they enjoy Katie's work and want to be able to have an extra pin to TRADE, they're not asking for the world, and if there's going to be an excess of pins that she won't sell, she might as well allow backers to get an extra. It would be an awful business decision to just "destroy" 50% of the pins, that just defeats the entire purpose of a Kickstarter, is wasteful, etc. I get it a lot of companies do this with exclusives, but not one person who is trying to fund her campaign.

I love how your opinion, and others are always correct & has some perceived notion of moral high ground in the realm of collectable exclusivity. Get a life.

ceres on
    X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

• Options
    Thanks for pointing me to the Kris Straub KS (KSKS lol), I've bookmarked to see how it goes. The pins look nice, but I havent seen that comic before.

• Options

I love how your opinion, and others are always correct & has some perceived notion of moral high ground in the realm of collectable exclusivity. Get a life.

Nobody said you were wrong about anything. I cant believe im about to type this as i occasionally have to 'spell out the facts' about constructive dialogue to my sometimes... Stubborn dad, but here goes... If someone has a differing opinion to yours, it doesnt mean to say your opinion is any more or less valid. You seemed to become hostile whenever one of us disagrees with you when there was simply no need. And remember this is a public forum on the internet... You WILL find someone that doesnt agree with your opinion, how you react to that is up to you.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you cannot disagree civilly then this line of conversation needs to end.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DefaultGenDefaultGen Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • Options
    DefaultGen wrote: »
    I love CW, but it sucks to have a $75 purchase required for one pin. That makes this by far the most expensive to acquire besides the DLC which was $150, right? Does anything else even come close? Not saying Katie Rice isn't worth supporting, that this is a terrible value with everything included, or I'm not backing it, but I'm not looking forward to pins as a premium price add-on becoming a trend for products I don't actually like.
    I agree. Obviously both CW and Katie are highly tied into the Penny Arcade family and so an official pin is essentially a given, and a lovely bonus for those who pony up. But I would not like to see the trend where an item is only given the value after a "bonus" is applied. The same thing once happened with the Official Playstation Magazine. Buying these 15 years ago at a price that was equal to or even less than what you paid today was only given that value because of the "free" demo disc that was provided. We all knew that without the disc the price would be half or even less. It's justifiable in a kickstarter, but I would rather not see a practice where pins are made so expensive to push out any potential collectors. Being Hardcore isn't easy, and we've already seen that our financial obligations can sometimes hamper our hobby.

• Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I look at it this way: I'm paying $100 to fund the making of a book that will be hardcovered and signed. I checked out the kickstarter because of the pin, I backed because of the book. The pin is just an extra. A great extra I might add and if they decide to give one extra to a certain level of backers, I'm all for it.

In summary: dat pinny.
    jt7mo30jtqhk.jpg

Geometric Cube on
  • Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well, at the time of writing there are only 219 pins being claimed by backers, interesting to see where the numbers go by the end of the Kickstarter!

I'm not too upset at the idea of $75 for the lowest pin tier. I mean, sure for us pinheads it seems steep, but I'd wager the majority of backers are CW fans, as opposed to Pinny fanatics. For them, the pin is only a $15 premium over the level below. This is probably backed up a little by the fact that the most popular reward level is the $100 tier for the signed hardcover edition. Can't see people ponying up for this level unless they are serious fans of the work.

Basically if you are only interested in the pin as a completionist collector, $75 is expensive.
    If you would've backed this project anyway as a fan of CW (a category I admittedly fall into), not only is $75 pretty reasonable for all the stuff you get, but you are likely to back at an even higher level for all the extra epic swag.

At the end of the day it is a Camp Weedonwantcha book Kickstarter, not a Dark Brian Pinny Kickstarter! :-)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Qumaden was warned for this.
    Edited post because it is off topic.

I Kickstarted this project and can't wait to see it succeed.

Qumaden on
  • Options
    Th Kris KS has a cadaver pin add on that looks suspiciously like a PA pin.

• Options
    aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    Gerzzog wrote: »

I think it's a non-Pinny pin for now. Kris has been selling it on his website. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they made a Pinny version of it in the future. It's a nice design.

• Options
    aleph0 wrote: »

I think it's a non-Pinny pin for now. Kris has been selling it on his website. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they made a Pinny version of it in the future. It's a nice design.

Isn't that what happened with his cthulu dice pin? It was a design he had and then turned it into an official pinny version?

• Options
    If it was a Pinny pin, he would've said so, he's well aware of the impact the brand will bring.

• Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    Um here is a tweet from him directly about whether Kris Straub's pins are Pinny Arcade: https://twitter.com/krisstraub/status/567816918846943233?lang=en

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    I don't have any issue with this particular kickstarter as it is, we backed at $75 mostly so we can add the pin to the collection. I'm a huge fan of the comic -- but I typically try to avoid physical versions of things I could have digitally, as I have ultra packrat tendencies and if I don't keep an eye on it I will end up on some sad reality TV show someday. If there was an option to back at say $35 for the pin and the digital goods (PDF, wallpaper, etc.) I would have jumped on that instead.

There is definitely a balancing act in play with Pinny Arcade though, and that's where I suspect the concern comes from. $75 for a nice set of PA-related goods and a pin isn't too bad from time to time, but imagine if Activation convinced PA to let them make a Call of Duty pin that you could only get if you bought the $300 ultimate nuke edition or whatever. Sure some of the truly pinsane in the membrane would buy it to keep their collections complete, but there would be a lot of people who would just lose respect/interest in the whole thing. If enough people lose their engagement in it, the whole hobby would collapse and we'd all go find something else to collect.

As for the add-on pin, I think it's a great idea although I understand it may have some logistical complication. If all the pins are going to go out into the wild at some point anyway, it would seem to be better for both sides to do the add-on now and push the kickstarter to new heights vs waiting to sell book+pin bundles later at PAXes etc.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular

It is meant to be a new pin though. See Update #3.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    We also encourage trading, and you cannot trade if you don't have an extra.

False. Keeping one pin to yourself is a choice; the ability to only collect one does not prevent you from trading it.

Pins!
  • Options
    We also encourage trading, and you cannot trade if you don't have an extra.

False. Keeping one pin to yourself is a choice; the ability to only collect one does not prevent you from trading it.

You are technically correct. I guess I should have been more specific and said "You cannot trade and maintain you collection if you only have one of each."

• Options
    To be fair, I understood your intention. But I do feel like the mentality of "I must have 2!" causes many to forget that collecting and trading are deliberate choices in how you approach the scarcity of available pins.

Pins!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    To be fair, I understood your intention. But I do feel like the mentality of "I must have 2!" causes many to forget that collecting and trading are deliberate choices in how you approach the scarcity of available pins.

It's cool. I feel that I do not have two of everything, but if I have the ability to get two of something that I then can have to trade for something I cannot get one of later I will try to get that second pin. Also I really wanna be able to help others get pins they want through trading if they struggle with the high dollar cost of some pins. In this case specifically someone may not be able to afford the KS campaign but they may have something to trade one of us who gets one or two of the pins.

But all in all we have delved too deep into the topic of pin trading and value stuff in a thread that is supposed to have alerted us to the KS and the pin pledge level. Whatever Katie decides to do is fine by me. I am just happy to pledge and help her out.

Gerzzog on
  • Options
    Hey, if she makes it available, I'm more than willing to help reach those stretch goals by buying another pin :D

Pins!
  • Options
    DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I stopped by Katie's booth today, and while it's not official yet, they think they have their P's and Q's in order to let us add on a second pin. They said they would post about it after the show. I may have talked about books and pins for 30 minutes. Maybe.

DisposableLemur on
  • Options
    gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular

No. He said he would give us a NEW Iris pin... not the existing Pinny Arcade Iris pin.