As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BROTHER! I live on, through this SMASH!

turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dadis the best.Registered User regular
edited July 2015 in Social Entropy++
X22wmuF.jpg
turtleant on

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    PM me or @ me if you want your 3DS friend code or Wii U name added to the list.

Wii U Usernames
    @aStoryAboutYou = agolanvilella
    @Blackbeard7 = Blackbeard7
    @BlueBlue = BlueBlue
    @Ceno = Genesius_Prime
    @Didgeridoo = Didge7
    @EidolonOrpheus = Eidolon_Orpheus
    @GreasyKidsStuff = GreasyKidsStuff
    @Gundi = Gundisalvus
    @Johnny Chopsocky = JohnnyChopsocky
    @Khavall = Khavall
    @King Riptor = Kingriptor
    @Man of the Waves = BuckarooHoliday
    @Melding = Melding
    @MetaHybrid = MetaHybrid
    @MikeLL = Supernormalstep
    @Naphtali = ElNaphtali
    @Niyra = Nirya1
    @No Great Name = Sirtoons
    @Radius = Kryzak
    @Rainfall = Rainfalll
    @SirEtchwarts = SirEtchwarts
    @Speed Racer = SSJSpeedRacer
    @turtleant = Turtleant
    @UnbreakableVow = UnbreakableVow26
    @Virgil_Leads_You = PraneFuji
    @Wyborn = CamandMonica
    @Yukira = ModelZ

3DS Friend Codes
    @Asharaxx = 5413-0219-8736
    @Big Red Tie = 3926 4292 8829
    @Blackbeard7 = 4742 6310 4132
    @BlueBlue = 4527-8016-0782
    @Cello =0216-0898-6512
    @Clint Eastwood = 3926 4383 7978
    @crwth = 0104-1092-1699
    @Dys = 3411-2072-6447
    @Elaro = 4527-9583-9380
    @EidolonOrpheus = 2938-6715-5543
    @Grey Ghost = 4399-2068-5090
    @GreasyKidsStuff = 4828 5290 8757
    @Keith = 3497-0691-2891
    @Kwoaru = 3496-9713-7513
    @Man of the Waves = 3394-3880-2299 (message if you add)
    @MikeLL = 4270-0674-7304
    @Munkus Beaver = 0619-4510-9772
    @Naphtali = 2852-8363-2374
    @Nirya = 2981-5304-3227
    @No Great Name = 3024-5277-3254
    @PaperLuigi44 = 4553-9983-6412
    @Radius = 0061-0115-8348
    @SirEtchwarts = 4527-8947-6010
    @SirToasty = 3668-8904-0720
    @Speed Racer = 3668 8081 7919
    @STATE OF THE ART ROBOT = 1435-5430-5466
    @Surfpossum = 5429-7373-3262
    @WheatBun01 = 1521-3359-2548
    @Wyborn = 2406-5129-4317
    @Yukira = 4854-6566-1045
    @Zombie Hero = 3282-2248-0453

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's also the Friends List on Google Drive.

YL9WnCY.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man Brawl had some weird-ass glitches

dN0T6ur.png
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    what is happening to snake in that image

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I can only sometimes beat a level 9 character. Where does this put me in the Penny Arcade Smash hierarchy/leaderboards?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

BROOOTTHEEERRRR

that beating AI in any fighting game ever has meant very little as they are often input reading frame perfect cheaters

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Smash in particular goes from "playing at least kinda fair" at lvl8 to "get fucked ima cheat" at lvl9.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Kept you waiting, huh?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

A hacker fucked around with his model

Speed Racer on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    also i'm v sad snake isn't in smash 4

he was super out of place but in the dumb hilarious way i loved

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hideo Kojima is the reason we have third party characters.

I would not at all be opposed to Snake DLC.

YL9WnCY.png
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    What. Oh Smash Bros! I should play this more.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Yukira wrote: »
    What. Oh Smash Bros! I should play this more.

hmm agreed

@turtleant can you add my nnid to the op list, its ElNaphtali

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know what any of the technique talk at the end of the last thread means

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Basically Wii Fit Trainer is The Best.

Grey Ghost wrote: »

But to be a bit more helpful and give a bit of a glossary on the front page of this thread...

Since all characters have a wide set of moves defined by directional input, shorthand for specific moves goes as such:
    Jab - pressing A while standing still. Most characters have jab combos and stuff by pressing A repeatedly.
    Tilt - gently pressing the stick in a direction and then hitting A. This results in a stronger attack with different properties depending on the character. We call out the different tilts based on direction, so ftilt=forward tilt, utilt=upward tilt, dtilt=downward tilt.
    Smash - Smashing the stick in a direection and simultaneously hitting A. This results in a very strong attack with good knockback that usually has a ton of lag at the end, which means if you miss your smash, you get the crap beat out of you. Same direction notation as tilts, written as fsmash, usmash, dsmash.
    Aerials - Every character gets attacks in air by pressing A and using directions! However, you're facing a specific direction and can't turn around easily in the air, so there's also bair for backwards, and nair for neutral air.
    Grabs/Throws - When you grab someone(shield+A,) you get a back throw, forward throw, up throw, or down throw. You can also tap A to pummel them for some extra damage, but if you pummel for too long, they'll escape!
    Specials - every character has names for their specials and we usually just use those instead of generic names.
    Percents - The more damage you take in Smash, the higher your percent goes, and the easier it is to knock you around. So you'll hear stuff like 'kills at low percents' or 'really unsafe at high percents.' Special note for Lucario, who just gets better and meaner at higher percents, since he's a douchebag.
    Recovery - A character's ability to get back onto the platform after going off the ledge.
    Blast Zone - The area of the stage where if you hit it, you die. It's always off-screen, people try to smash you into it, blah blah core game concept.
    Vector/DI - If you take a hit, push your stick away from the blast zone you're being knocked towards, it will help you not die. I ain't know the details of this since I ain't all that.
    Spike - An attack that pushes the target DOWN really really hard. You can recover out of a spike, but it ain't easy.
    Meteor - If you get hit by this off stage, you're dead. Knocks you straight down and you ain't gonna recovery before you hit the blast zone.
    Super Armor - If you've got Super Armor on a move, you are immune to knockback while your move is going. Stuff like Ganondorf's Warlock Punch and Charizard's Rock Smash and a shitload of Little Mac's attacks have Super Armor, which makes it very hard to approach or counter them without getting hit in the face.

And whatever, someone else can write some other stuff I guess?

• AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Other commonish smash4 terms:

Rage: When a character has over 100%, their head starts steaming and they gain additional knockback on all of their moves. It's a comeback mechanic that favors the heavier end of the cast.
    Freefall: When most characters up-B, they can't do anything except move slightly until they hit the ground (they flash while in this state, so it's obvious). Freefalling above the stage is extremely dangerous, as it's usually a free punish for the opponent.
    Ledge Tump: A replacement to Edgehogging. When a player is hanging on the edge and somebody else grabs the ledge, the first player is forced off. Very important because you do not gain ledge invincibility the second time you grab a ledge without being hit or landing on the stage, so you can ledge trump somebody, get back on the stage and punish them hard when they regrab the ledge.
    Tech: When you've been knocked back into any surface, you'll normally bounce off with a blue shockwave. However, if you press your shield button the moment you'd hit the surface, instead your character will stop all moment. On the ground, this will cause your character to immediately get up and roll in the direction you push the stick. For walls and ceilings, your character will just stick to the surface harmlessly for a second before dropping off.
    Stage Spike: A lot of stages have slanted surfaces on the underside near the ledges. If you hit somebody with an attack with some big knockback, you can cause them to fly into it and get knocked at an angle, usually straight down. Teching this is possible.
    Pivot Grab: When your character is running, you can smash the stick in the opposite direction and do your grab input. This causes your character to turn around and attempt a grab, and is notable for almost always having even greater range than your normal dash grab.
    Move Staling: During a match, the game tracks the last ten attacks you have landed (either against an opponent or an object). For every time a move appears on that list, it will do reduced knockback and damage. For some characters it's important to figure out what your best kill move is and then make sure to never use it until the opponent is at KO percent, otherwise they'll live for much longer.
    Windboxes: Not a major thing, but a few characters have attacks that push an opponent without actually damaging them/causing hitstun. Hitting an opponent with a windbox does count as landing the move for staling purposes.

If you're interested in even more indepth knowledge for things like jab locking, perfect pivoting, glide tossing and other advanced techniques, I highly recommend checking out MySmashCorner's Youtube channel. He's got a great set of tutorials.

AbsurdProposition on
    Also worth meeting re: meteors

If you double jump at the same moment the meteor connects you'll cancel all knockback

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dang! Thanks guys
    I haven't played since Melee and even then I was never super competitive

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Also worth meeting re: meteors

If you double jump at the same moment the meteor connects you'll cancel all knockback
    Also at low percents meteors aren't totally guaranteed to kill.

Edit: Also, people need to sign up for the tournament in a few hours!

Gundi on
    I would despite my cast, but I'm at work for the evening :'(

• ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Here are a few other good terms to know:

fastfall: while in the air you can slam down on the control stick to fall faster. Fast fall speed, like normal fall speed, is dependent on character.

heavy/light: heavy characters don't get knocked back as far, all other things equal, than light characters, and generally survive longer.

"floatiness:" describes a character's fall and fast fall speed. Generally, floaty characters are easier to juggle, while non-floaty characters are easier to combo with ground attacks. Floatiness is separate from weight. For example, Samus is floaty but relatively heavy.

zair: a special aerial attack where you use your grab button (i.e. the z button on te GCN controller). Only some characters (those with "tethers," i.e. Link, T. Link, Samus, ZSS) can do this.

tether recovery: using a zair near the stage to grab the ledge.

z-catch/z-grab: using the z button while midair to grab an item. Instantaneous and very little cooldown lag.

z-drop: using the z button while midair to drop an item. Instantaneous and very little cooldown lag.

disjointed hitbox: when an attack's "hitbox" (i.e. the part of your attack that does damage if it touches an opponent) is separate from your character's "hurtbox" (i.e. the part of your character that takes damage if it touches an opponent's hitbox). Sword attacks are almost always disjointed; arm and leg attacks are frequently not.

autocancel: when you land on a platform in the middle of an aerial A attack animation, the move's hitbox immediately disappears and you take a few frames of landing lag before you can act again. (B moves don't generally autocancel when used midair.) How much lag you take depends on the character and the move. Autocancelling can allow you to string an aerial attack into a grounded attack, or to act more quickly after a whiffed aerial.

frames: every second is broken down into 60 frames. Usually the community uses "fX" to describe frame timing, so for example a "f6 jab" will come out 6 frames, or 1/10th of a second, after you input the A button. The human eye is too slow to register minute frame differences but they can still have practical effects. For example, if you're standing next to another character and your moves cancel each other's out, and you both mash A to jab as soon as possible, the character with a f5 jab will just barely beat the character with a f6 jab. This is why it's often possible in "mirror matches" for two people to end up cancelling out each other's jabs over and over, because they have the same frame data.

Juggernaut Armor: Like Super Armor with a knockback threshold. At a certain amount of knockback, you'll get knocked out of Juggernaut Armor, and because knockback scales with damage, the armor becomes less effective at high percentages. (Super Armor protects you from all knockback at all percentages.) This basically describes Yoshi's double jump, DeDeDe's UpB, and a few others.

Invincibility: What it sounds like. Moves with invincibility frames, like Mario's UpB and usmash, make you take no damage or knockback during those frames.

Intangibility: Like invincibility but slightly different (and most of the time the difference doesn't really have a practical effect). Like invincibility, you take no damage or knockback. However, with invincibility your character will naturally "push" opponents away slightly with his frame, whereas with intangibility it's like your character temporarily doesn't exist. All characters get intangibility frames when they dodge.

Counter frames: The frames in "Counter" type moves (e.g. Marth's downB) where your character will counter if hit. You are functionally invincible during counter frames. HOWEVER, unlike true invincibility frames, you can still get grabbed during counter frames.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Oh my god I literally can't win today.

Also what are you supposed to do against Little Mac? I never seem to even stand a chance against him.

broken image link
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Also what are you supposed to do against Little Mac? I never seem to even stand a chance against him.

jump off the stage and hope he chases you

2x39jD4.jpg
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    The other start is to grab him close to the edge and throw him off repeatedly.

Shield, grab out of shield, and back throw off the stage until he dies. Eventually he'll just side-B to his own death.

Also why can I never ever land grabs?

broken image link
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Bears don't have thumbs

2x39jD4.jpg

Which character are you maining? Some just have crap grabs. Your best bet is to shield a hit and then grab out of shield, or dash/pivot grabs.

Anybody want to play a few games? I'm down for the next couple hours or so.

Rainfall wrote: »

Which character are you maining? Some just have crap grabs. Your best bet is to shield a hit and then grab out of shield, or dash/pivot grabs.

Bowser and Duck Hunt.

broken image link
    Anybody want to play a few games? I'm down for the next couple hours or so.

helloooooooo

@Speed Racer gI've me a minute to get a drink and I'll be right there

i am the garbage man it is me

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    garbage day

liEt3nH.png
    Oh my god that finish was amazing. Saving the hell out of that replay.

This discussion has been closed.