As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Leonard Nimoy Dies at 83

124»

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    2qk19p3.jpg
    24l4h7o.jpg

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    The toy Spock episode of Big Bang was on the other night and it seemed that Nimoy put just as much effort into voicing that role as anything else he's ever done.
    He gave everything his full effort. Even a laserdisc information video where his co-star is a beeping rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4pBk3-fduU

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    gc0Du7T.png

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I don't want to sound flippant, or crass, but a friend commented on a status update I made and said, "At least he lived long and prospered."

And I actually really like that. I think it's awfully fitting.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd imagine a life like his is exactly the sentiment "live long and prosper" is intended to convey.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/7/71/401951/obama-passing-leonard-nimoy-loved-spock
    Long before being nerdy was cool, there was Leonard Nimoy. Leonard was a lifelong lover of the arts and humanities, a supporter of the sciences, generous with his talent and his time. And of course, Leonard was Spock. Cool, logical, big-eared and level-headed, the center of Star Trek’s optimistic, inclusive vision of humanity’s future.

I loved Spock.

In 2007, I had the chance to meet Leonard in person. It was only logical to greet him with the Vulcan salute, the universal sign for Live long and prosper.” And after 83 years on this planet – and on his visits to many others – it’s clear Leonard Nimoy did just that. Michelle and I join his family, friends, and countless fans who miss him so dearly today.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »
    Time to play some Civ IV.

yup : (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCykB4mCytE

icGJy2C.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    This is a shocking way to start my day. But as people have mentioned, he lived a good life and was good to the people around him, and you can't ask for more than that.

RIP.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    nWPUJMt.png
    7Jy4aMm.png

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/7/71/401951/obama-passing-leonard-nimoy-loved-spock
    Long before being nerdy was cool, there was Leonard Nimoy. Leonard was a lifelong lover of the arts and humanities, a supporter of the sciences, generous with his talent and his time. And of course, Leonard was Spock. Cool, logical, big-eared and level-headed, the center of Star Trek’s optimistic, inclusive vision of humanity’s future.

I loved Spock.

In 2007, I had the chance to meet Leonard in person. It was only logical to greet him with the Vulcan salute, the universal sign for Live long and prosper.” And after 83 years on this planet – and on his visits to many others – it’s clear Leonard Nimoy did just that. Michelle and I join his family, friends, and countless fans who miss him so dearly today.

Sweet humblebrag there, Pres.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not sure Obama can be guilty of namedropping

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The story you are about to hear is true. By which I mean, it's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer... Is no.

My freshman dorm RA made little cards with everyone's name on them, a still capture from the Simpsons, and a quote. I got Leonard Nimoy standing in front of the monorail and this quote.

I'd post a picture but I think it's still at my parents'.

• SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Just heard about this. I was only a casual Star Trek fan but this came along like a blow to the gut. I think in some ways, for me, Leonard Nimoy was just as much a cornerstone to my childhood as Robin Williams. It sucks that I'll never have the chance to say this to him, but I'd thank him. Both for his work and for being the person that he was.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    11021165_10152814505110889_4081928560645370503_n.jpg?oh=ba203da02cabc9d5d25c21d22a685912&oe=55805636

"I just need to get something

from my car"

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    "But you didn't do anything"

"... Didn't I?"

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    The toy Spock episode of Big Bang was on the other night and it seemed that Nimoy put just as much effort into voicing that role as anything else he's ever done.
    He gave everything his full effort. Even a laserdisc information video where his co-star is a beeping rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4pBk3-fduU

I loved Nimoy in the Kingdom Hearts games, too. He totally sold the hammy role he was given, and I was really looking forward to him being in KH3.

IKknkhU.gif
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    did you know Nimoy was a smoove dude?
    LA Times wrote:
    When he spoke at Ohio's Bowling Green State University in the 1970s, a young woman asked: "Are you aware that you are the source of erotic dream material for thousands and thousands of ladies around the world?"

"May all your dreams come true," he responded.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-leonard-nimoy-20150227-story.html#page=1

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    nWPUJMt.png
    7Jy4aMm.png

I tried to find a gif of this, but this will suffice.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'm not sure Obama can be guilty of namedropping

No, the more subtle one in the first paragraph

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    vKjvR70.png
    DvV8F6F.png
    jG1vBf5.png

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    :snap:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • GuyMcManGuyMcMan Registered User regular
    Well crap. When Kirk said he was going to die alone, I didn't think he meant this.

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

It cannot be overstated just how well Shatner played this scene, and the actual death beforehand.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    vKjvR70.png
    DvV8F6F.png
    jG1vBf5.png
    God dammit that final image is incredible

Kirk is ASTONISHED by what just went down

CYpGAPn.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Spock just barely holding back that smirk.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »

Coming on the heels of my grandfather's passing, this tweet is hitting me right in the feels.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    did you know Nimoy was a smoove dude?
    LA Times wrote:
    When he spoke at Ohio's Bowling Green State University in the 1970s, a young woman asked: "Are you aware that you are the source of erotic dream material for thousands and thousands of ladies around the world?"

"May all your dreams come true," he responded.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-leonard-nimoy-20150227-story.html#page=1

Oh my god I love this

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    tumblr_nkljtazyly1qckp4qo1_540.jpg

I love the Onion.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Did you know: One of Nimoy's last projects was a body-positive series of photographs he took with his wife:
    This current body of work is a departure for me. For a number of years, I have been producing images using the female figure. I have worked with numerous models who were professional people earning their living by posing, acting, dancing, or any combination thereof. But, as has been pointed out to me in discussions at exhibitions of my work, the people in these pictures always fell under the umbrella of a certain body type. I’ll call it a "classic" look. Always within range of the current social consensus of what is "beautiful." In fact, that was the adjective I most often heard when my work was exhibited. The women as they appeared in my images were allotted no individual identity. They were hired and directed to help me express an idea—sometimes about sexuality, sometimes about spirituality—and usually about feminine power. But the pictures were not about them. They were illustrating a theme, a story I hoped to convey.

These women are interested in "fat liberation." They hold jobs in the theater, the film industry and in business—and together they perform in a burlesque presentation called "Fat Bottom Revue." The nature and degree of costuming and nudity in their performances is determined by the venue and the audience, which can range from children’s birthday parties, to stag parties. I wanted these pictures to be more about them. These women are projecting an image that is their own. And one that also stems fro m their own story rather than mine. Their self-esteem is strong. One of them has a degree in anthropology and will tell you that ideas of beauty and sexuality are "culture bound"—that these ideas are not universal or fixed, and that they vary and fluctuate depending on place and time. They will tell you that too many people suffer because the body they live in is not the body you find in the fashion magazines.

warning NSFW, but pretty cool: rmichelson.com/artist_pages/nimoy/pages/MaxBeaut.htm