As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

19495969798100»

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Yeah they were pretty bad

I might have to check out a Witcher book though, thanks

Start out with The Last Wish, the short story collection that introduces the character

• Options
    @YaYa what does it turn into after that

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Been reading about the second world war in Max Hastings' Hell Broke Loose. A lot of primary sources from people on the ground and in the shit from all over the war. The eastern front is just horror upon horror. The British Empire falling apart is fascinating. Quite a few more abstract and theoretical things I never gave thought to as well, like ability of the Third Reich to produce food and under which circumstances Hitler might have forced England to negotiate an unfavourable peace.

Most of the texts I've sought out before this have been about either Hitler or Stalin in some way or another, so this larger, less detailed, picture of the war is actually a good thing for me.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    @YaYa what does it turn into after that

a very confusing tale of espionage and gun violence

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    YaYa what does it turn into after that

I love espionage and gun violence!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Yeah, the whole book was pretty good so you should read it!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Booted up my Kindle for the first time in a while to do some comfort reading and the screen is cracked! It's an old model with the keyboard and no backlight, should I get the Paperwhite or splash a little extra and pick up the Voyager? I do like the physical buttons for page turning my model has.

That's the biggest thing that I miss from my old one. I loved those physical page turn buttons. The back light on the paper white makes up for it in spades though. I can't speak to the voyager but I love my paper white. It is amazing.

I can't vouch for the Voyager either, but the Paperwhite is fucking amazing. If the Voyager really is a step up above the Paperwhite then I'd say definitely go for it. Otherwise, grab the Paperwhite.

The paperwhite was as big a step up as just the base kindle was from books. I was leery about both steps but both were totally worth it.

Yea, I think it's among the weakest of Stephenson's books but Stephenson is one of my favorite authors so it's still pretty good. It's right there along Cobweb and that other one he did under a pen name. The interesting Stephenson idea stuff is basically background for a sorta traditional thriller.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Booted up my Kindle for the first time in a while to do some comfort reading and the screen is cracked! It's an old model with the keyboard and no backlight, should I get the Paperwhite or splash a little extra and pick up the Voyager? I do like the physical buttons for page turning my model has.

That's the biggest thing that I miss from my old one. I loved those physical page turn buttons. The back light on the paper white makes up for it in spades though. I can't speak to the voyager but I love my paper white. It is amazing.

I can't vouch for the Voyager either, but the Paperwhite is fucking amazing. If the Voyager really is a step up above the Paperwhite then I'd say definitely go for it. Otherwise, grab the Paperwhite.

The paperwhite was as big a step up as just the base kindle was from books. I was leery about both steps but both were totally worth it.

Yea, I think it's among the weakest of Stephenson's books but Stephenson is one of my favorite authors so it's still pretty good. It's right there along Cobweb and that other one he did under a pen name. The interesting Stephenson idea stuff is basically background for a sorta traditional thriller.

I actually hadn't even heard of the Voyager until today and reading up on it I think I might buy it. I have the Kindle before the Paperwhite and I'd been considering buying one of those for some time. The Voyager sounds like a definite improvement over that so I'll check to see if Oberon Design has a case for it yet and then purchase both if they do.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I actually hadn't even heard of the Voyager until today and reading up on it I think I might buy it. I have the Kindle before the Paperwhite and I'd been considering buying one of those for some time. The Voyager sounds like a definite improvement over that so I'll check to see if Oberon Design has a case for it yet and then purchase both if they do.

You are classy.

Though that would be a requirement for me to upgrade as well. I have a Paperwhite and it's going along well. The DPI and adaptive front light seem interesting but probably not worth it to me without seeming them ahead of time. I actually jumped to the Paperwhite when my OG kindle died.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.