As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I the only one who hate fandoms?

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I actually liked the second pirates movie for the most part, mostly because I liked the fantasy universe they were setting up. I didn't share the complaints most of my friends had.

I extra-disliked the third movie because it didn't pay out the way I thought it was going and ended up being convoluted. I really liked the witch doctor lady until they made her into a god in disguise. I feel like that is a metaphor for everything wrong with the trilogy.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The best thing about the Pirates sequels was Davy Jones. Until they neutered him in the third movie, that is.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Because of you monsters, I'm watching the first three pirates movies.

The first one is exceptional, a lot of fun + good writing + I like the effects.

The second one is good too, though you can really see the green screen effects when you have characters and the kraken in the same shot.

The biggest problem I had with the third one was what I considered the completely B.S. way that they wrote out the kraken.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Listen

How often do we get a trilogy of campy as fuck, well filmed, pirate movies?

Never

I am going to love the hell out of all three of those flicks because they are fun incarnate and they made a lady a king

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The sequels had some interesting world building ideas. But not in a way that makes a good movie, it felt more like an RPG sourcebook thrown in a blender.

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Listen

Never

I am going to love the hell out of all three of those flicks because they are fun incarnate and they made a lady a king

Oh yeah don't misunderstand me, I won't legitimately be compmlaining about watching it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey guys, sorry I'm late, I got caught up watching the Pirates of the Caribbean marathon

• Options
    edited March 2015
    On the subject of excellent campy movies, The Mummy Trilogy will also have a dear place in my heart.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The part I hated about the third pirate movie is the two pirate ships blowing up the flagship in one pass.

That was a hundred gun ship of the line. One broadside should have obliterated both those ships, but no. It's okay. The several hundred officers and crew of this massive warship will just sit here not doing anything while the twenty of you fire those tiny six pound cannons that are somehow more powerful than thirty-six pounders and reload in like five seconds.

Fun fact. After a War of 1812 reenactment I had dinner while sitting next to the historical advisor for the first Pirates movie. On my other side was the top expert in the world on the U.S. army during the war.

The most fascinating conversations ever were occurring on either side of me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Listen

Never

Oh, yeah

At the end of the day they weren't amazing

But they're at least pretty fun, and we might never get their ilk again, so that's worth something in its own right

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    It's fun to think that the biggest villain of the entire PotC franchise is a corporation.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    It's fun to think that the biggest villain of the entire PotC franchise is a corporation.

And the good guys are criminals and literally pirates.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    The part I hated about the third pirate movie is the two pirate ships blowing up the flagship in one pass.

That was a hundred gun ship of the line. One broadside should have obliterated both those ships, but no. It's okay. The several hundred officers and crew of this massive warship will just sit here not doing anything while the twenty of you fire those tiny six pound cannons that are somehow more powerful than thirty-six pounders and reload in like five seconds.

Fun fact. After a War of 1812 reenactment I had dinner while sitting next to the historical advisor for the first Pirates movie. On my other side was the top expert in the world on the U.S. army during the war.

didn't the pirate fleet have some kind of calypso magic on its side

like, maybe that's what summoning the goddess did, instead of just creating a big neutral whirlpool

• Options

didn't the pirate fleet have some kind of calypso magic on its side

like, maybe that's what summoning the goddess did, instead of just creating a big neutral whirlpool

Plus the Flying Dutchman is magic

That was always how I explained it away

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Actually, I'm just realizing that I like the beginning of pretty much every movie.

I can't remember a movie that made me go "Oh, man, fuck THIS bullshit" right off the bat.

Usually takes me at least a solid hour to give up on a movie.

Watch The Spirit.
    Don't watch The Spirit.

I'm so conflicted.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Watch The Spirit

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh no, it's Barbossa!

OH NO, IT'S DAVY JONES!

OH NO, IT'S THE EAST INDIA COMPANY!!!!!!!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Don't watch The Spirit.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Watch The Spirit while drinking spirits.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Spirit knows.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    that really does suck

you know what helped me with that is some nice calming asmr videos

pages and pages late, but my first reaction to that acronym is to expand it out to "A Sailor Moon Romance".

(which, by the by, was an old Sailor Moon Fanfic site)

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Watch The Spirit.

Don't put salt in your eye.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    The third pirates movie should have ended with a bigger rumble between all the pirates and the baddies

Only seeing two pirate ships fight was a load of baloney

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Watch The Spirit.

Don't put salt in your eye.

The Spirit is killing me, Danny.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Listen

Never

Oh, yeah

At the end of the day they weren't amazing

But they're at least pretty fun, and we might never get their ilk again, so that's worth something in its own right

I know, right? It's like, goddamn Hollywood studios, you know who doesn't like Hook?

Nobody.

Pirate movies are great!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Oh no, it's Barbossa!

OH NO, IT'S DAVY JONES!

OH NO, IT'S THE EAST INDIA COMPANY!!!!!!!

Welllllllll, the East India company did engage in some pretty shitty practices.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Try stabbing yourself a couple times. If you enjoyed that The Spirit might be your kind of movie.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I think the East India Company being the big big bad was one of the best choices they could have made in a film set in the dying age of piracy

We just never really got to see pirate ships really getting done over by fully armed galleons. Could have done a lot more to make them a serious threat.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I dunno.

The first one was about ghost pirate skeletons.

Having the bad guy be an actual enterprise who engaged in dodgy shit is a bit too gritty batman in a movie where they fight on a giant water wheel and the bad guys have detachable heads.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The only thing I remember about the third Pirates movie is that I thought Keira Knightley's outfit looked pretty cool.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    On the subject of excellent campy movies, The Mummy Trilogy will also have a dear place in my heart.

I feel like I would be unable to get past some of the CG in it if I watched it now.

• Options
    I kind of hated The Mummy when I watched it recently, which bummed me out

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The Mummy does feel quite artificial on a rewatch; I would really recommend just preserving the nostalgia, along with a moratorium on whatever that third film was supposed to be.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    only watch those scenes of the spirit which contain at least one of either scarjo or samuel l. jackson

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I always wished the admiral from coupling survived and rallied the Royal Navy to show up and join forces with the pirates to take out the East India Company.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    only watch those scenes of the spirit which contain at least one of either scarjo or samuel l. jackson

The only line I can remember from that film is, "Toilets are always funny!"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Spirit knows.

what the hell is wrong with you, don't do this shit

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The new RoboCop is on Netflix and I think everyone should watch it at least once. It gives a different take on the story that I like. It's not the exact story the director wanted to tell, but even with all the studio interference I give it a B+/A-.

Of course it's not as good as the first one, but that's a pretty high bar.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No it was bad.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    There's a pretty big difference between being influenced by the things you like and defined by the things you like. Fandom is the latter. I hang out on the PA forums because I like the discourse, but heaven help me if I ever 'go to war' with another forum or some stupid bullshit

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet