As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic events at Pax East

Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
Hello everyone! The Magic the Gathering event schedule is huge this year with many different formats. There is a big change this year comared to year's past. We are implementing "The Prize Wall". The Prize Wall will have many items priced in Prize Tix. In year's past we had difficulty finding a good way to award players with amazing prizes without the players needing to devote time that they may have wanted to spend in the middle of the day doing something else. The Prize Wall is going to have tons of cool stuff. PAX PINS, a variety of play mats, POP Figures, single cards, Magic Booster Packs, Dual Decks, Pre Constructed Decks, Fat Packs, Intro Decks, Event Decks, Prints, Framed Lithographs, Deck Boxes, and Sleeves.

Our Mat Mania events will be giving the Rocket Dragon mat while supplies last, Artist Lars Grant West will be on hand to sing those mats as well. Every player in a mat mania event will receive a play mat just for entering. There is a 2 day championship event for those who want to play alot of Magic. Intro deck League is back. Play anytime you want in our intro deck league area. We look forward to seeing you at PAX!

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    No more sharpies touching our badges when we want to buy a pin, I hope?

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    Pins will have limits,

• Options
    aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    Have you guys decided what the limit will be, and how it will be enforced?

• Options
    FullbobFullbob Registered User regular
    any way to have a prize list along with tix cost associated? So far we know the PA pin is 30 tix...thats about it.

• Options
    smertepunktsmertepunkt Registered User regular
    Not a full prize list, but their site does have a lot of info about the events and the tickets: http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/fact-sheet-pax-east-2015

• Options
    We are still working on the process to enforce the pin limits. We will have that information on site, Here is a link to our web http://tjcollect.com/event/pax-east-2015 on pax events. On the bottom of the events list is the tix prize list. The goal is to have something that everyone will want to play for which is why the prize list is as long as it is.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    As far as the how do we enforce the pin limits. Does anyone have a good idea of how to do it without putting a sharpie mark on the back of the badge? Taking down names isn't realistic. The goal is for many to be able to get pax pins not just a few. So far I haven't been able to come up with a way that we can do it without putting that dreaded sharpie mark on the back of the pax badge. That also allows us to provide good redemption times as well. We don't want people having to wait in a line to redeem tix.

Tom Shea on
  • Options
    One other thing everyone. The post on the Wizards web site listing 2 HG booster draft is incorrect, It isn't Theros Block and isn't free, it is an on demand event is Kahns Block draft and has a cost of $30.00 per team.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Tom Shea wrote: »
    As far as the how do we enforce the pin limits. Does anyone have a good idea of how to do it without putting a sharpie mark on the back of the badge? Taking down names isn't realistic. The goal is for many to be able to get pax pins not just a few. So far I haven't been able to come up with a way that we can do it without putting that dreaded sharpie mark on the back of the pax badge. That also allows us to provide good redemption times as well. We don't want people having to wait in a line to redeem tix.

Tom, I think your concern regarding the pins might be misplaced. The majority of your players aren't there for the pins, and those that are will make sure they get one. If people want multiples and they earned the tix, then whats the problem? Other booths let you demo games numerous times for duplicates, or just flat out sell you as many as you want. If you're really worried about it, put a cap per day so if someone misses them for some strange reason, they can stil check back at a later day. Or heaven forbid, they miss it and have to trade with someone. How many Ugin pins were left over from South because of these shenanigans? Please don't make your pin the "annoying one" that pisses everyone off again, please.

zeale on
    dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    I can't comment on Pax South as I was not there. PAX Pins are a big deal because everyone else makes a big deal about them. Wizards of the Coast and Pax themselves are very involved in these pins. We want many players being able to get these pins not just a few that is where the problem lies. So yes there will be a cap and yes there NEEDS to be a cap to ensure that many will be able to get the pin. We ARE NOT selling any of these pins. Our goal for the weekend is for everyone to enjoy playing our favorite game.

• Options
    HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I really think that it's important to know that those of us who go for duplicates often are getting pins for our "pin pals" at other PAXen who could not attend East.

Either way. The pins will go to as many people as possible.

If you absolutely must limit the pins, limit it to the number of PAXen that exist: 4

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Honestly, when limits are placed on things like this it sometimes become more of a "Challenge accepted" sort of thing in the eyes of people. The way it was handled at PAX South was god awful, and the staff was just nasty about it, which can make people spiteful to try and get more.

I don't think the sharpie is a bad idea for it, but as long as you inform the person FIRST and not just reach across the counter, grab their badge and start blowing on it germing that shit up. If you're nice about it, people will understand and accept the limits. One big problem I had, was when it was 1 pin per person on Friday/Saturday and then jumped up to 2 per person Sunday, that became annoying for those who wanted them but they were "Super Limited" but still somehow got an increase to give out? That was just douchey imo. Also the classic pins were also all available and the ticket prices lowered on Sunday because the numbers they originally wanted for them were just absurd.

I feel that there shouldn't necessarily be a number enforced, but if people are obviously abusing it they should be aware that they could get turned down. Most people in our pin community are very understanding, and at $20 per pin (which is arguably the easiest way to obtain said pin), I don't see people abusing it as bad as you guys might think.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    One of the things that we struggled with was the scheduling of events for later in the day. Our approach this year was to bring back intro deck league so you could decide when you WANTED to get a quick game in AND to put a bigger emphasis on the "On Demand" 8 person events. In addition many of the events this year are limited to 4 rounds as well prizing on record. The ONLY extended time event is the Championship which is something that competitive players have asked for. We look forward to your feedback on the schedule post pax.

Tom Shea on
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    @Tom Shea First of all, this page is an ungodly mess of bad formatting. Trying to work out what is going on should be easier.

Second, work out if the Prize cost is actually worth it. There were T-shirts at South that had some pretty good designs, and I would have paid for them in cash. But the ticket cost made them effectively $200 each. For anything on the Prize wall that isn't ridiculously limited (defined as "we have an entire box of them in the back") have a cash option.

Third, as TheAggroCraig has already said, make sure your staff are polite and courteous. There are many people who, if made a grab for without warning, will not react well. Eye contact, asking permission first, basic human decency. Hopefully this reminder is a formality, but at South sadly it was New Information to some of the Channel Fireball staff.

As for Pins: Work Out Your Booth Throughput. If you have 1,000 Pins, and you aren't getting through 300 by the end of Friday, you can relax about "these are limited, you can only have one." At every PAX this has been the mantra of booth workers who have been told by the managers under no circumstances can they give them away freely, because there is a legitimate fear of running out. But then to have those same managers on Sunday giving away fistfuls of Pins at the airport, it's a problem. And it's a simple one of counting. If you have y demo stations each doing z demos per hour, and 8 hours of Expo time for 3 days, your total is x=y*z*8*3. If x is substantially less than your Pin total, you can give away some Pins without worry. Now, I know you have different numbers to plug into that calculation, but even the basic Pins/3 should be an indicator after the first day.

We understand that there is a desire to get the Pins into the hands of different people. But there are plenty of MTG fans and Pin fans that can't attend East. We are taking time to get them a Pin so that in the future they can reciprocate. Given that you are effectively selling the Pins via pushing product, it's as though you have a virtual attendee alongside the real one. You really don't need to be as restrictive as you think. As mentioned above, the restrictions can be taken as a challenge. When told "one per person for the whole weekend", one person took that as a challenge and got several extras. He has been a MTG since the beginning, but the severity of the policy combined with the bad attitude of the Fireball staff at South almost made him quit there and then.

Really, what will help everything is to just run an effective booth. Start the events on time, because we have panels we want to see and can't afford a 40 minute delay once we have paid the money to get in a tournament. Those delays caused people to get their cards and tickets, then forfeit because they had to run across the show floor to queue for a panel or another time-sensitive event. It's not a good intro to MTG when you are sat opposite an empty chair and an opponent-shaped dust-cloud the instant they have their stuff. Beyond simple math, you don't need to put restrictions on most people getting stuff. The vast majority are there for MTG.

• Options
    Miss the years when we won laptop and foil sheet without doing half the showtime of tourny. The tix system thingy is not worth it in my opinion.

• Options
    And for the pin, last year it was given out for trying magic online...

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    I almost feel that having the pay for an entry into a tournament or 90 min magic is a limiting factor already. If someone is willing to pay to play several times a day each day does there really need to be a further restriction on prizes? I mean if I went to every 90 min magic I would get 9 pins, is that a thing that should be restricted? That is a lot of pins for one person but I am paying 180 dollars and spending a significant amount of time at the booth. I understand metering out pins to avoid running out, but as other have said with the minimum being 1000 pins there has almost never been a pin that has run out before the weekend has come to a close. Also metering them does not stop the pin crazy people like myself it just means we have to get more creative to get the pins. So in the long run you are not metering pins, just making it more difficult for people to get the pins they need. I would rather be honest and up front about the fact that I need 4 pins and get them myself as opposed to having to rope my friends into helping me and wasting their time at PAX arbitrarily. Also we do not want to feel like cheaters because we have to figure a way to cheat the system ie: rub off marks on our badges. If there is no limit put on pins it will still be time consuming and possibly difficult for me to get my pins for my pin pals.

• Options
    The pins are an awesome promotional item for Magic players. We are there to celebrate the game of Magic. There are many different events to play in. Each event is meant to provide a different experience. There are many different pizes on the prize wall in addition to the pins. The goal is to help provide postive play experiences for Magic players.

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    Tom Shea wrote: »
    The pins are an awesome promotional item for Magic players. We are there to celebrate the game of Magic. There are many different events to play in. Each event is meant to provide a different experience. There are many different prizes on the prize wall in addition to the pins. The goal is to help provide positive play experiences for Magic players.

This is kinda my point. I would rather have fun at the MTG tables and go with a couple friends and get my pin. but if I need to go again to get one more the next time would not be fun since I would have to basically cheat the system or beg someone to work for me. If I could hit a couple 90 min Magics I would have fun and enjoy the experience. But if I had to worry about my badge being marked or put on a list then there is a paradigm shift in the experience. I like that I have to participate in the demos and tournaments to get the pin. I love MTG but I don't think it is necessary to limit the number of prizes I can get. There will be enough for all and the focus should be on the play not on the amount of a single item.

I appreciate you reaching out to the community and asking for our input. I wish more booth/exhibitors would do so.

I apologize if I come across as a bit ranty/soap boxy. I tend to do so unintentionally, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    If there must be a limit may I suggest using a hand stamp like they do at amusement parks? Just use 3 different ones so you can mark each day.