As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I like markers

12345679»

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    Sorry, I had no idea the images would be GARGANTUAN RARRRRRRRRRR!!!!

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Dooope. Bro I love your super zoomed in cartoon pieces. That last one and the monkeyface earlier are rad as hell.

• JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Thanks F87.

Lil' update, been redrawing an old image I liked intending to make it into a print for an upcoming expo, fun! And also doodles during a break from prints work.

tumblr_nk5ug8TaoW1ruejd0o1_1280.jpg

I like this new take on the top portion, but the way that you have re-done the legs makes him appear weirdly pigeon toed. It looks like you were trying to turn his legs so that it looked more like he was walking in line with the way his torso is turned, but you also made his right (his right) hoof-cleft thingy turn more the opposite way. I think this might be a large part of what is making it look off, although there are possibly more structural issues with the legs themselves than I am qualified to point out.

That last one though, slick as hell; as usual!

JohnTWM on
    Thanks, and I really appreciate the feedback and think I see what you mean - I'll try implement it!!

I'm rusty with markers, blowing off some cobwebs:

"Rude"

tumblr_nkdagp7Nb71ruejd0o1_540.jpg

"Lopped"

tumblr_nkdagp7Nb71ruejd0o2_540.jpg

I tried implementing some of the feedback I got on the Golemtaur piece (thanks for that!), hopefully successfully and to your liking. I'll flick a post up when I've got prints available for anyone interested.

Also another two called "Orb Boy" and "Hot Pink"

orb_boy_by_mc_johnstable-d8jysvs.jpg

hot_pink_by_mc_johnstable-d8jysvp.jpg

golemtaur_by_mc_johnstable-d8jysvv.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nice. Good job clearing up the forms on his legs, it reads a lot better now. I like the little bit of bounce light you got in there, and the color choices have some more subtle touches that I really enjoy.

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Very nice work as usual.

Thanks, you guys are super supportive. :)

This is a semi-oldie... I'm not sure I'll be revisiting this one, so just dropping it here:

tumblr_nkkubcpCw91ruejd0o1_1280.jpg

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Man I love how the swinging motion line ties those two panels together.

• MeGiantMeGiant Artist San DiegoRegistered User regular
    there is a lot of gesture in these! really love the traditional touch of Markers too.Awesome stuff! I struggle so much with getting very expressive gestures a lot of the time. are there any artist you reference whose movement in their art you really dig?

Thanks a bunch. Gestures are a tricky one, but a strong line of action always helps.

Movement based artist influences off the top of my head would be Ben Caldwell, Jake Parker (seems to be hard to google his motion stuff though), Sean Galloway, Juanjo Guarnido. Sergio Pablos is a great animator. It's kind of a tricky one heh.

Some recents:

tumblr_nl5a4gYmTy1ruejd0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nl5a4gYmTy1ruejd0o2_500.jpg

tumblr_nm0okvcp0Q1ruejd0o1_1280.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Its cool going back in this thread and seeing how you've improved. Your earlier work was energetic and colorful, but now its starting to look a little more refined. Digital colors have especially improved, the pallets are much more appealing.

I personally like seeing the finished compositions more than the isolated characters, they really show off a sense of space and atmosphere.

edited April 2015
    Thanks very much Iruka, those finished ones are fun to do. :)

I had a blast at Chromacon just over a week ago, met a whole bunch of rad artists that are here in NZ and got to exhibit work for the first time; it went really well.

Here's my humble booth at the event, which is sitting alongside the booths of a couple friends I exhibited with. :)

tumblr_nmxpve1I2z1ruejd0o1_540.jpg

And here's me being professional, haircut, shave and all.

tumblr_nnhmadI2rd1ruejd0o1_540.jpg

And here's some other things I've been doodlin'.

tumblr_nn8yq6fz8S1ruejd0o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nn7kp6mnJU1ruejd0o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nmovmf4Itp1ruejd0o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nmmri3dJxN1ruejd0o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nm41lrqPA01ruejd0o1_540.jpg

I managed to sell a ton of prints and also a couple originals. But I still have left over stock; so I made a bigcartel store with the remainder on there, prices are in New Zealand Dollars.
    http://mcjohnstable.bigcartel.com/

McJohnstable on
    Some more stuff, one world war pic, and 3 characters for a personal project; A little book called "Little Raid Party", that is going to have 40 characters in it. One per page / spread (depending on how things go), and some kind of narrative background tying them together. It's been fun working on it so far...

tumblr_nnx59lnf9k1ruejd0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_no50qyxTIg1ruejd0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_no6mhq7yFI1ruejd0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nog3bhtvKj1ruejd0o3_1280.jpg

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    I love all of this.

Thanks, here's a few more little raiders.

ka_nopi__the_healer_by_mc_johnstable-d8urcj2.jpg

grawlerg___warmonger_by_mc_johnstable-d8vgg9z.jpg

pyrocyon___mage_by_mc_johnstable-d8wlo2v.jpg

• GreathouseGreathouse That's my name AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'm loving these! Especially, the animals and the crazy bear!