As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

DarmakDarmak RAGEvympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
The old thread reached it's limit so let's start a new reading thread and talk about books we love and what we're currently reading. I'm currently reading "Mother of Winter" by Barbara Hambly and I'm enjoying it so far. I read the Darwath trilogy waaaaay back in the day and I recently found out there's a couple more books set in that universe so I picked em up.

I also wanted to mention that I caved and ordered the new Kindle Voyager and an Oberon Design case because I am a consumer whore. I'm super excited and cannot wait!

JtgVX0H.png

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Books? Never heard of 'em

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Going to sit and read tonight I think. Going to try to get through at least one book this week.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Just finished Reaper's Gale.

Between study breaks, it was a great distraction.

Ending kinda got me.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm also on a graphic novel kick and I'm nearly finished with The Sandman, then I'll reread The Watchmen and Sin Titulo, and after those I'll start in on The Elephantmen.

JtgVX0H.png
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm reading the Raine Benares series by Lisa Shearin.

A good mix of magic, fun writing, and sexy times.

• builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Does manga count? :P

steam_sig.png
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    This year I've got a goal to read fifty books. This is what I've read so far...

1: Bossypants - Tina Fey (Very very funny)
    2: The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss (This one felt like cheating)
    3: Life After Life - Kate Atkinson (Such a cool book! Set in London during the early 1900's. Each time the main character dies she goes back to birth. When she gets to that spot again she gets a really bad feeling and then does something different. Very cool progression.)
    4: The Man In The High Castle - Philip K Dick (It doesn't get much better than PKD)
    5: White Teeth - Zadie Smith (This book is hilarious, moving and the prose is fantastic. Great story of a family through three generations)
    6: Queen of the Tearling - Erika Johansen (I wasn't super into it at the beginning. It felt very juvenile with juxtaposed with an attempt to be "mature". Eventually though the story pulled me around. Fun read!)
    7: All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr (Beautifully written novel set in World War two. It maybe ended slightly prematurely... The novel not the war.)
    8: Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel (This one is so good! A pre/post apocalyptic tale about a traveling troup that performs Shakespeare and classical music. So great, especially because it focuses on characters more than shock value. Best one on the list.)
    9: The Bone Season - Samantha Shannon (My least favorite one on the list. Alternate universe London in which some people are "clairvoyant". These people are deemed unnatural and sent to a penal colony run by vampires from another dimension. Definitely a beach book.)

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I've been reading the Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen, an ebook of the whole main series.

Man, almost immediately I wished I had a physical copy instead, so I could more easily reference maps / character lists.

Super good reads so far, a little ways into book 5. An unfortunate part of reading it from a single giant ebook means I frequently have no idea what book people are talking about when they refer to it by name, heh.

Pretty quickly came to appreciate all the bits dealing with the malazan soldiers waaaaay more than any other parts, so book 5 introducing an entirely new non-malazan continent has been....slow going.

Getting started in the first book was definitely rough. Lots of locations and characters with a ton of evident history being presented super quickly. Absolutely worth powering through, though, and while it was a bit frustrating, it was mostly frustrating in that I wished I understood it all already. Absolutely love the world building of the series.

It sounds like some people mix in the Esselmont books as they fit in (presumably?) timeline wise with the main Erikson ones? Or something like that, I haven't seen it actually detailed out. Is that just a good option, or generally 'better'?

Ranlin wrote: »
    I've been reading the Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen, an ebook of the whole main series.

Man, almost immediately I wished I had a physical copy instead, so I could more easily reference maps / character lists.

Super good reads so far, a little ways into book 5. An unfortunate part of reading it from a single giant ebook means I frequently have no idea what book people are talking about when they refer to it by name, heh.

Pretty quickly came to appreciate all the bits dealing with the malazan soldiers waaaaay more than any other parts, so book 5 introducing an entirely new non-malazan continent has been....slow going.

Getting started in the first book was definitely rough. Lots of locations and characters with a ton of evident history being presented super quickly. Absolutely worth powering through, though, and while it was a bit frustrating, it was mostly frustrating in that I wished I understood it all already. Absolutely love the world building of the series.

It sounds like some people mix in the Esselmont books as they fit in (presumably?) timeline wise with the main Erikson ones? Or something like that, I haven't seen it actually detailed out. Is that just a good option, or generally 'better'?

I just read the Esselmont books after the Erikson books and had a good time, so you can do that if you want. Whenever I eventually reread the series I might give reading them all together chronologically a try and see how it works out.

JtgVX0H.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Night of Knives is actually a prequel to everything. It takes place the night that Kellanved/Dancer ascend/die/who knows.

Return of the Crimson Guard wraps up some Malazan Empire business after the main books go do their own thing.

Those are the only 2 I'd mix in, and you don't really have to. The rest of Esslemont's stuff can be left for after.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I took a hiatus from reading comics on Marvel Unlimited to whittle down my growing book stack. Right now I am reading Peter F. Hamilton's newest Commonwealth book. It is back inside the Void, which I don't really like as much as the main Commonweatlh stuff, but he apparently does. Still, I like the Void parts of this one better than the Void parts of the Void trilogy.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Night of Knives is actually a prequel to everything. It takes place the night that Kellanved/Dancer ascend/die/who knows.

Return of the Crimson Guard wraps up some Malazan Empire business after the main books go do their own thing.

Those are the only 2 I'd mix in, and you don't really have to. The rest of Esslemont's stuff can be left for after.

Yep. If you want to be fancy and mix them together, toss in Night of Knives after book 5, Return of the Crimson Guard after book 7. Technically publishing order would put Stonewielder between 9 and 10, but screw that.

Just finished Blood and Bone last week, actually. I was pleasantly surprised - I'd gotten the impression it wasn't a very good book, but I really enjoyed it.
    Took me waaaaaaaaay longer than it should have to realize that the warleader was Kallor

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am reading 1Q84, by Murakami Haruki.

It's fascinating and I love his writing, but I will say the book has been pretty triggering at times and should probably come with a massive TW. I've found it such a page turner that I got through it, but there was some rough stuff in there for me.

Also the Little People freak me out.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    1Q84 is a good book but I never know how to pronounce the title when talking about it out loud.

broken image link
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As the resident librarian, I approve of this thread.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm here to steal ideas for what to read. According to my kindle app, the last book I read was Gone Girl back in December. That one was really good though.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    1Q84 is a good book but I never know how to pronounce the title when talking about it out loud.

I know it's supposed to be "ichi kyu hachi yon" (the letter Q sounds like the number 9) but honestly everyone I know who's read it calls it IQ 84.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    God dammit

I've over halfway through re-reading all of animorphs and looking back at it.

I could have finished Infinite Jest by now if we're just going page-number.

I just took a break and started reading Metro 2033. It's good. All them Russian names for things though...

Really makes me want to track down another copy of those books I loaned out ages ago. A Pushkin collection, some Turgenev and Checkhov.

I miss them

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

I know it's supposed to be "ichi kyu hachi yon" (the letter Q sounds like the number 9) but honestly everyone I know who's read it calls it IQ 84.

I can't decide between "One Q Eighty-four" or "Q-teen Eighty-four".

broken image link
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular

Hey, hey, we need to have some kind of contest before you just start claiming titles.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Hey, hey, we need to have some kind of contest before you just start claiming titles.

Okay how we doing this? Total number of items we are personally in charge of? Total book acquisition budget? Circulation totals?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Ain't sure most of that is fair, we should probably just co-chair or something.

Peen wrote: »
    Ain't sure most of that is fair, we should probably just co-chair or something.

Fair enough.

As Co-Resident Librarian I approve of this thread.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I fucking hate books that don't have pronounceable titles

looking at you, Reamde

I'm glad y'all worked that out, otherwise I was going to suggest a fight to the death at the LibraryDome™

JtgVX0H.png
    YaYa wrote: »
    I fucking hate books that don't have pronounceable titles

looking at you, Reamde

If you look at the alternating colors of the letters on the cover it's "Read Me" so you could always go with that
    failing that, "Reem-duh"

Darmak wrote: »
    I'm glad y'all worked that out, otherwise I was going to suggest a fight to the death at the LibraryDome™

Wait no, this is much better, staple removers at dawn!

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I got Horns and that Nintendo book about their deals in the 80s for christmas and I have yet to crack them open

I need to get on that

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm also on a graphic novel kick and I'm nearly finished with The Sandman, then I'll reread The Watchmen and Sin Titulo, and after those I'll start in on The Elephantmen.
    Have you read I Kill Giants? My D&D secret santa a few years ago got it for me and it was really good.

I'm currently working through the Malazan books.
    I'd tried a couple years ago and lost momentum about 150 pages into Deadhouse Gates, but so far I've kept up steam and am about 75% through the third one.

steam_sig.png
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Maaan Metro is really oppressive and scary.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    ew, a book thread

i hate books

books

are awful

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've only read like, three books this year, and one of them was a goddamn one act play

I don't know what is wrong with me

edited March 2015
    Have you read I Kill Giants? My D&D secret santa a few years ago got it for me and it was really good.

I'm currently working through the Malazan books.
    I'd tried a couple years ago and lost momentum about 150 pages into Deadhouse Gates, but so far I've kept up steam and am about 75% through the third one.

I have not heard of it but I'll check it out on Amazon right now and possibly wishlist it if it looks interesting.

edit: wishlisted! Say, in the recommended section I saw a graphic novel called Saga which I'd seen recommended before when buying The Sandman. Does anyone know if it's good?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Snagged Abominable from Powell's yesterday and I'm hoping this is 'good Simmons' vs. 'bad Simmons'.

I consider The Terror one of the most enjoyable books I've read in the last ten years, so fingers crossed it's on the good side.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I love the malazan books, but I really lost motivation with the book before reapers gale.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I picked up a book called Ten Days that Shook the World on a friend's recommendation.

It sounds super interesting.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I have been super slacking in the reading department :(

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    20575425.jpg
    Welcome to Trace Italian, a game of strategy and survival! You may now make your first move.

Isolated by a disfiguring injury since the age of seventeen, Sean Phillips crafts imaginary worlds for strangers to play in. From his small apartment in southern California, he orchestrates fantastic adventures where possibilities, both dark and bright, open in the boundaries between the real and the imagined. As the creator of Trace Italian—a text-based, role-playing game played through the mail—Sean guides players from around the world through his intricately imagined terrain, which they navigate and explore, turn by turn, seeking sanctuary in a ravaged, savage future America.

Lance and Carrie are high school students from Florida, explorers of the Trace. But when they take their play into the real world, disaster strikes, and Sean is called to account for it. In the process, he is pulled back through time, tunneling toward the moment of his own self-inflicted departure from the world in which most people live.

Brilliantly constructed, Wolf in White Van unfolds in reverse until we arrive at both the beginning and the climax: the event that has shaped so much of Sean’s life. Beautifully written and unexpectedly moving, John Darnielle’s audacious and gripping debut novel is a marvel of storytelling brio and genuine literary delicacy.

This novel, written by John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats, is one of the best I've ever read

It is barely over 200 pages so I had to limit myself on tearing through it just one day

6F32U1X.png
    Hey I've been meaning to pick up Wolf in White Van

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved Wolf in White Van. So great! Read it.

This discussion has been closed.