As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2015 Q&A Thread

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Ryvvn wrote: »
    Hi all, I figure this is where I should post this: I'm wondering if anyone has ever hosted or even just been to a panel in the Cuttlefish theater at prior PAX East events? I'm hosting a panel there this Friday evening, and I'm trying to find even just one picture of it to see what the panel setting looks like, but my google abilities are failing because I can't seem to find even just one! Can anyone help me out?

I don't post or check here often, so a PM would be most helpful since I'd probably get an email alert for that. Also, please let me know if you just think I'd get a better answer in another (possibly overlooked) thread; thanks!
    I attended the Case Modders panel last year in the Cuttlefish. While most theaters are narrow in width and lengthy in depth, the Cuttlefish is the exact opposite, unless they change the way it was setup from last year. When you look at the map, imagine the stage where the curtains icon is and the crowd sitting where "Cuttlefish Theatre" is written.

ddljpsv2fypn.jpg

And to add on to that, I don't remember there being a stage to speak from and I remember a stage in other rooms.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    DanQ wrote: »
    Hi all, I figure this is where I should post this: I'm wondering if anyone has ever hosted or even just been to a panel in the Cuttlefish theater at prior PAX East events? I'm hosting a panel there this Friday evening, and I'm trying to find even just one picture of it to see what the panel setting looks like, but my google abilities are failing because I can't seem to find even just one! Can anyone help me out?

I don't post or check here often, so a PM would be most helpful since I'd probably get an email alert for that. Also, please let me know if you just think I'd get a better answer in another (possibly overlooked) thread; thanks!
    I attended the Case Modders panel last year in the Cuttlefish. While most theaters are narrow in width and lengthy in depth, the Cuttlefish is the exact opposite, unless they change the way it was setup from last year. When you look at the map, imagine the stage where the curtains icon is and the crowd sitting where "Cuttlefish Theatre" is written.

ddljpsv2fypn.jpg

And to add on to that, I don't remember there being a stage to speak from and I remember a stage in other rooms.
    Hmmmm, I wonder if it is different per panel. I remember the people from the Case Modders panel being on an elevated platform. I could be wrong; I was geeking out at the nasty mods they were showing off anyways.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • RyvvnRyvvn Syracuse, NYRegistered User regular

Thanks, I appreciate that! What I'm really looking for though is how the actual stage section is set up, like, 2 tables on a riser with a lectern between them? Ideally I'd like to see a photo if anyone has one from any panels in that theater last year; I'm trying to be prepared for how to run my non-standard panel.

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    oh, well if you saw a stage, then ignore me. I was in the room for the finals of the Saturday night showdown. They must have broken it down.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    so if i am trying to get to a therter just go to the front door before 10 and they will let me in that front door and I will be able to go line up at that therter?

• klzklz Registered User regular
    That depends on the panel, but yes, assuming that is the first panel in that room and has't hit capacity yet. Two years ago, the Blizzard panel filled up to capacity by 8:30am, I think, for the 10:30 start. Remember the BCEC doors open at 8am for the Queue room and panel queues, and panel queues are limited to only that next panel (so no standing around all day for that nVidia panel trying to be first on line at 8am).

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Where/when is the opening speech/keynote? Trying to make it there on Friday to actually see it this year.

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I have a question about jamspace. I this purely an area where people can pick up instruments and jam or is there also the ability to do karaoke? I've been dared to do You're So Beautiful from the Empire tv show if they do allow this.

• koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I have a question about jamspace. I this purely an area where people can pick up instruments and jam or is there also the ability to do karaoke? I've been dared to do You're So Beautiful from the Empire tv show if they do allow this.

It's just for jaming and concerts no karaoke. You can do the rock band freeplay which they have set up with a mic but no idea if they would have the song you want.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    Where/when is the opening speech/keynote? Trying to make it there on Friday to actually see it this year.
    http://east.paxsite.com/schedule

Main theater, first panel of the day (1030am) as always. It was renamed "Storytime" a few PAXen ago.

zerzhul on
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I posted a picture in the other thread that showed my panel setup from last year.

Two tables with a lectern in the middle, all on a raised platform. Three seats and two mics at each table plus a mic at the lectern. Panelists can't really see past the lectern to the other table, if that matters.

That's assuming it's set up the same this year.

And yes, it's a wiiiiide theater. Very strange setup overall.

Thanks, I appreciate that! What I'm really looking for though is how the actual stage section is set up, like, 2 tables on a riser with a lectern between them? Ideally I'd like to see a photo if anyone has one from any panels in that theater last year; I'm trying to be prepared for how to run my non-standard panel.

ilta on
  • lbuglbug Registered User new member
    I really want to go to the Keynote and the Q+A. What time should I get there on Friday?

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    lbug wrote: »
    I really want to go to the Keynote and the Q+A. What time should I get there on Friday?

Line starts at 8 AM on Friday, if you want good seats get there early.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Westin and was counting on being able to use the Westin entrance to the convention center, but I'm hearing now that they don't open it until later in the morning. That fine except there's one day I'd like to go to an early event. Exactly how closed is the entrance? Would someone with a medical badge be able to get through, or is it physically shut down somehow?

• lbuglbug Registered User new member
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »

What if I just want to get in? Any chance of getting in if I get there at 9, or should I really shoot for 8? I am up for going at 8, but it means I will have to drag my buddy out of bed...

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »

What if I just want to get in? Any chance of getting in if I get there at 9, or should I really shoot for 8? I am up for going at 8, but it means I will have to drag my buddy out of bed...

I don't want to guarantee that you'll be fine, because if I'm wrong I'll sure look like an asshole. Best bet is to follow the PAX Lines Twitter feed to see how quickly the line is filling up.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Kylindra wrote: »
    I'm staying at the Westin and was counting on being able to use the Westin entrance to the convention center, but I'm hearing now that they don't open it until later in the morning. That fine except there's one day I'd like to go to an early event. Exactly how closed is the entrance? Would someone with a medical badge be able to get through, or is it physically shut down somehow?

They had the doors locked on occasion. you had to go outside and get in line with everyone else. Pro tip, the line for those without bags was nearly non-existent, so if you can leave the bag behind for that event and the bridge is closed, do it and come back later.

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I have a question. I remember last year there was an issue where they had to change up the genders for some of the restrooms. Does anyone have a map that shows the updated restrooms locations and genders? (Or does anyone have a list of locations that I could write on a map?) Especially near the tabletop area.

Looking at the PAX maps on guidebook, the gender neutral bathroom is marked. I am hoping this means that the other bathroom markings are correct.

edited March 2015
    Since last year's situation was a last minute change, it's possible there could still be a last minute change from the city again.

edit: I asked someone with more info than me and I was told that right now what's in the maps matches, but they don't have final say from the building/city people yet.

zerzhul on
  • Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Thanks! Should I try asking again later, or is there somewhere I can look this up?

I would keep an eye on the official pax twitter and ask at the info booth at pax

• PacwarPacwar Registered User new member
    Quick question for anyone who can help. This is my first time attending Pax and i would like to know where to keep listening for all the updates going on during the event. The only one i have now is the Pax twitter account. Is there any other sources?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    That's the best bet. The Guidebook app is also fairly well-updated during the show (assuming you can get data), but it won't announce what has changed like the PAX twitter account will.

• yolomcswaggytotsyolomcswaggytots Registered User regular
    I need to pick up my passes from will call since mine didn't come in the mail but they said I require an ID to get it an I'm under 18 (I'm 15). Am I able to obtain the pass myself with like my student ID or my passport thing or will I need a parent to come

• ABBQABBQ BostonRegistered User regular
    @yolomcswaggytots I wonder if a printout of your receipt will be fine?

Wait until a Mod confirms, don't take my word.

I need to pick up my passes from will call since mine didn't come in the mail but they said I require an ID to get it an I'm under 18 (I'm 15). Am I able to obtain the pass myself with like my student ID or my passport thing or will I need a parent to come
    Usually the person who purchased the badge has to pick it up. You definitely need photo ID. A passport is the best photo ID there is. If your name is the one on the order, you can pick it up. If it's not your name on the order, the person whose name is on the order has to show up.

• SavotageSavotage Registered User new member
    edited March 2015
    I bought my badge on eBay. It didn't come with a receipt or anything. Do I need anything beside the badge to get in?

zerzhul on
  • koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Savotage wrote: »
    I bought my badge on eBay. It didn't come with a receipt or anything. Do I need anything beside the badge to get in?

Nope just a badge will be fine.

zerzhul on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Just putting this out there in case anyone hears this and starts freaking out.

If you hear about the roof collapsing at the Boston Expo Center, this is NOT the BCEC.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering The Jontron and NormalBoots panel has been confirmed to not be happening, turns out it was never supposed to be up at all

Wishes he could change his username
  • VmKidVmKid Gone Bananas Shuggazoom CityRegistered User regular
    When does Merch Lite close on Friday? I'm going to be showing up later in the day due to having class on Friday, so I'd like to know if I can still pick up a scarf or pin or something.

KvTUvIQ.png
    Merch Lite closes with the show at midnight.

• VmKidVmKid Gone Bananas Shuggazoom CityRegistered User regular
    Great! Follow-up: is there a limited number per day of each product? Like, will I still be able to buy a scarf/pin/patch on Friday or will I have to wait for Saturday?

KvTUvIQ.png
  • VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    Are there going to be lockers at the convention center?

Wishes he could change his username
  • hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    There aren't lockers, but there is a coat/bag check that I believe costs $3 per item

VmKid wrote: »
    Great! Follow-up: is there a limited number per day of each product? Like, will I still be able to buy a scarf/pin/patch on Friday or will I have to wait for Saturday?

The Polygon pin will probably have an allotment each day, but generally everything is first come first serve

• DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    Do merch lite sales start when the doors open, or when the expo hall opens, typically?

• BluestreakWRXBluestreakWRX Friendly voice in the 'verse BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll see if I can get you an answer.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Do FreePlay rooms keep going til Midnight? Want to see if I can sneak in some GGXrd Saturday night.