As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Ball Xenoverse: Have you let Goku in to your heart?

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Games and Technology
DBZ: Abridged is mandatory viewing.

sBXvUAR.jpg

Ah yeah another DBZ game!

I know right?! The original Xenoverse game was a fucking treat. The sequel seems to be going the tried and true method of "the same, but lots more!".

Like last time some bad dudes are screwing with time and you enlist with the Time Patrol to help stop them. Only, hey, if you're in the past anyway why not change a few things for the better? Am I right or am I right? Well, looks like you'll get to make that call! Various choices will effect how the story plays out! Hello multiple play-throughs, my name is Axen.

I get to make my own character again right?

Absolutely!

But just like last time we have the same races:

qeKcDQk.jpg
Saiyans
Male/Female

qZuV6Nq.jpg
Earthlings
Male/Female

AZK02cE.jpg
Majin
Male/Female

UOe4e3g.jpg
Namekians
Male Only

vgdQ0mV.jpg
Frieza Clan
Male(?) Only

Expect much the same in the way of character customization options. Though also expect more clothing items. . . so much more!

Same gameplay? Any improvements?

Same core concept as last time. Improved textures and lighting. Vastly improved server tech. They say 300 players can be logged in to the same city at the same time!

The hub area of Conton City is seven times the size of the original Toki Toki City.

Oh and you can totally fly around town! Once you gain that ability of course.

And the arenas themselves will be bigger. God, I hope they made those damn gates easier to find!

You'll apparently be able to choose from different Ki Blasts when creating your character (Power, Burst, Freeze, and Bomb).

Will I still be able to get my loot fix?!

Yes, yes of course.

Abilities, Z-Souls, clothing, etc are still the carrot on the stick.

Just remember to pray to ShenRNG for his blessing.

When is the release?

October 25th for XBONE and PS4. 28th for Steam. PC port for the first game was very well done. Still recommend a controller though.

-Pterodactyl screeching-

Fucking-a-skippy!

Steam Group!
7WsWYaM.jpg
For easy team ups why not join the ancient and storied Axen's School of Martial Kung-furate Arts!

Old Xenoverse The First OP:
Yet another DBZ game?

Yes.

Some bad dudes are fucking with time and you are summoned by Shenron to help Trunks and the Time Patrol right history.

And by "you" I mean a character of your own design!

Character creation you say?

Yes!

At the start you get to choose from one of five races and gender for all but two of the races. Each race has it's own strengths and weakness and can change the way you play.

qeKcDQk.jpg
Saiyans
Male/Female

Everybody knows Saiyans. Hell, people who've never watched DBZ know Saiyans. Though in the context of the game here is their breakdown.

The Saiyan race offers lower health than other races, but balances this with high attack power. A Saiyan's attack power rises even more when their health is below 25 percent. In addition, all of a Saiyan's stats increase if they're KO'd and revived by a teammate. Saiyans also have the ability to transform into Super Saiyan or Super Saiyan 2.

If you're looking for a character with strong offensive potential, choose the Saiyan race. You'll essentially be a glass canon.

And holy crap, watch out when one goes Super Saiyan!

UOe4e3g.jpg
Namekians
Male Only

Namekians have lower overall attack power, but higher health. In addition, their Stamina refills faster and items are 1.5 times more effective. Namekians also regenerate their health when it falls below 70 percent. There are no female Namekians.

If your play style favors a defensive approach, the Namekians are going to be a great first choice. The ability to refill Stamina faster means you can use the Vanish (teleport) ability more often to escape combos and other bad situations.

Basically take a beating and keep on ticking.

qZuV6Nq.jpg
Earthlings
Male/Female

The Earthling race has fairly balanced stats, offering the well-rounded option for players who don't necessary favor offense over defense or vice-versa. Their Ki refills automatically, with their attack power increasing when their Ki is at maximum.

Playing as an Earthling is great for players who aren't familiar with fighting games. The balanced stats of the Earthling race, plus the automatic Ki regeneration ability makes them much easier to learn than any other race.

Earthlings, Humans, Terrans, whatever they are called and in whatever game they're in they're always the balanced choice. :razz:

AZK02cE.jpg
Majin
Male/Female

The Majin race offers higher defense than other races, but lower Stamina recovery speed. However, when their Stamina is at maximum their defense increases even more.

If you're a defensive player then you should probably start as a Majin or Namekian race. Both offer defensive buffs, so it depends on your play style as to which race is best for you. Namekians are easier to play with, while Majins offer more perks for skilled players. For example, if you prefer to use the Vanish ability to escape combos, you should favor the Namekian race because Majins have slower Stamina recovery. However, if you have better defensive skills to avoid taking hits, the higher defense of the Majin race will make your character very difficult to KO.

Truth be told the Majins are a bitch to take out. Very tanky race, but require a little bit of know-how.

vgdQ0mV.jpg
Frieza Clan
Male Only(?)

While some believe the Frieza's clan is known as the Arcosians, Dragon Ball Xenoverse is currently calling the race simply, "Frieza Clan". They have high movement speed, with lower attack power than the other races. To compensate, their movement speed increases when their health drops below 50 percent. They also have the ability to use a beam that paralyzes opponents.

The best way to describe the Frieza Clan is to say that they offer a runaway play style. Their increased movement speed gives them the ability to move in, use a few fast attacks, then quickly escape before an opponent can effectively counterattack. Lower attack power will make it more difficult to score KOs, and it's possible that the increased speed will make it more difficult for lesser-skilled players to control their characters. However, the paralyzing beam will allow for big attacks, especially when you're playing teams instead of one-on-one.

Get in, do damage, get out.

So those are the races and let it be known that all races are effective and can stand toe to toe with any other race. Depending on your playstyle you way gravitate towards one race over another as each one does feel different.

What about customization?!

You'll be happy to know that character customization is robust.

The game offers a multitude of "hair". eyes, nose, chin styles. Various height and weight options. Voice options. And plenty of color options.

On top of all that pretty much every single piece of clothing from the entire Dragon Ball series is available for you to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ITgbrF_gnA
This video actually goes through the options for each race/gender just to give you a good idea.

Besides the physical stuff you have full control over the various abilities your character has.

You can have four "super" abilities and two "Ultimate" abilities.

Super Abilities range from melee strike combos to crazy ki blasts, transformations, power ups, and some other silly things (Ginyu poses for instance).

Ultimates are you're big flashy cutscene worthy attacks.

You can buy, collect, or earn abilities while leveling your dude/lady dude. And these abilities can be changed out whenever you wish.

Okay that all sounds cool, but how does the game play?

A fair question.

Basically it is a third person, over the shoulder fighter.

Battles take place in a large, open arena (taken from the show of course).

Combat is fast paced, sometimes hectic, and absolutely gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njR5d0YcYM4
This video shows off some combat and the guy explains the game better than I could. :biggrin:

So what, it's just an arena fighter?

Well no. There are several game modes.

You have the single player story in which you hop around the DBZ histories and help set the timeline right. This is fun and besides fighting through scenarios from the show the game has its own story going on behind the scenes with new (outside of the Asian MMO) villains for your time traveling, righteous dude/lady dude to fight.

Then you have online battles. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and whatever combinations in between. Whether vs. players or npcs. Ranked or not ranked. This is whether to test your mettle against the greatest fighters the universe has known!

Parallel Quests. Now this is the fun stuff. PQs are basically side missions that you can do with your friends (that's right, co-op bitches!). PQs have all sort of crazy scenarios. Help Frieza fight the Z Fighters, team up with Hercule to take on the world strongest, collect dragon balls before Frieza's goons do. All manner of situations can be found here.

But that ain't all! PQs have a bit of RNG going on. While the basic premise of each PQ will remain the same, what happens inside it might be different. For instance, in one PQ you might fight Goku and you kick his ass. You then repeat that same PQ, but only this time when you beat Goku he goes friggin Super Saiyan and proceeds to hand you your ass. Certain enemies may join the fight when they didn't before, or certain allies may come and help. Dudes might transform or gain extraordinary power. You never know!

Whatever you decide to do you will always earn XP, money, and loot.

Wait, XP? Money? Loot? What is this an RPG?!

Well yeah, kind of.

As you do battles/missions your character will level up. You can then spend Attribute Points to increase your various stats. How you spend these will depend on your playstyle. Focus on Ki and Ki Blasts? Favor melee strikes? Rather go more a jack of all trades approach? All this is up to you.

The money, called Zenny, is used to buy helpful combat items (health potions, ki/stamina potions, stat increasing potions). It is also used to buy some Skills, accessories (hats, scouters, various other things), or clothing (of which there is A LOT OF).

You can also be rewarded clothing items, skills, and various other things at the end of a mission. Depending on how much RNGesus loves you. Seriously, we literally farmed a mission last night to get the Super Saiyan skill for someone long before they would have unlocked it through the Story. :biggrin: It was great.

Okay fine, what system is this for?

All.

All of them.

PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone, PC.

Myself and a few others play the Steam version. Oh, that's right. The PC Port of this is actually really fantastically well done. I still recommend playing with a controller though.

What are you're actual thoughts on the game?

Well, I wouldn't of made the thread if I didn't enjoy it.

What we have here is a legitimately fun game. I haven't played a DBZ game in forever, I had no idea this one was even a thing, and if you told me a week ago my favoritest game of the year (so far) would be a friggin Dragon Ball game I'd have called you insane.

The game actually runs on a modified version of the SFIV engine so the gameplay is smooth and beautiful.

The visuals are great.

The game is so much fun!

The sounds are well, hit or miss for people. The sounds are taken straight from the show. For some this is awesome and nostalgic. For others they sound a little weak and dumb.

PQs are a total blast to play with friends and probably a good chunk of the time played for me has been in co-op PQs.

The online stuff feels a lot like Phantasy Star Online. I don't know if this is by design or accident. Either way they should push more towards the PSO side of things for a sequel. :)

However all is not perfect.

The online stuff can be cumbersome. There is no easy way to add someone to your favorites (luckily Steam friend lists bypass this).

There are network issues, however I give them a pass on this (for now) because the Devs had zero idea the game was going to be so friggin popular. Seriously, from what I hear sales for the first week outpaced the total sales of all past DBZ games combined! And they've been hard at work upgrading their servers since the game's launch.

Weirdly enough you can't just quit a mission during a mission. Which means you have to ALT-F4 if you want to quit. I've no idea why this is how it is.

Some other things.

There is a season pass you can get. It looks like the DLC will be adding a fair chunk of content. The first one is releasing this March and looks to include one Story-Arc from GT along with a lot of GT related characters, items, and clothing stuffs. Plus a dozen or so new PQ missions.

They seem to be gunning for 3 DLC packs total, though with the crazy success of the game I wouldn't be surprised if this gets expanded.

Steam Group!
7WsWYaM.jpg
To help facilitate people getting together, I've started Axen's School of Martial Kung-furate Arts!

Random Handy Info!

This one brought to you by @vagrant_winds

Ki and Stamina gain bars at 25 (5 bars), 50 (6 bars), 75 (7 bars), and 100 (8 bars) points invested. The 4th bar comes automatically with levels, but can be gained early by investing some points into the stats.
Equipment bonuses/penalties for stats are a static +1 or -1 to a stat for every > or < arrow, and not % based.
Height & Build The taller you are the harder your character hits while the shorter they are the faster they move. The bulkier you are the harder your Strikes are and the skinnier you are the harder your Ki blasts and powers do.

You also left out the gender bonuses/differences in the races, which is on top of the normal race traits.
Male Saiyans - Stronger Basic Attacks and longer buffs (Kaioken, Super Sayan, etc.), weaker Super/Ultimate Attacks.
Female Saiyans - Faster Ki and Stamina recovery bonus, Health penalty.

Male Earthling - Stronger Basic Attacks.
Female Earthling - Stronger Ki Blasts.

Male Majin - Health bonus (coupled with the Defense bonus, this makes them extremely tanky), Speed penalty (makes them the slowest race).
Female Majin - Speed bonus (makes them the second fastest race next to Freeza), Health penalty.

There are race exclusive moves. Majin get attacks and abilities based upon some of Buu's moves (Candy Beam, etc.), some exclusive by gender. Saiyans and Earthlings get sword moves. Saiyans of course get Super Saiyan.

All damage buffs stack with each other. This makes Humans monster physical basic attackers because the Max Ki buff + Kaioken buff + and buff from a Pose-type move all combine on top of each other.

When you beat the game, your other character slots unlock. All your Outfits, Skills, Publish Quest unlocks, Mentors, etc. carry over. Basically only Level and Story Progress are specific to character with everything else account based.

Friendly tip for multiplayer. You don't actually have to connect to the Multi-Lobby or the XENOVERSE server to play with friends (at least on Steam). On your Steam Friends List you can Join Game on someone who has created a PQ Room (don't even need to be connected to the server for that either).

Here is an in depth breakdown on stats, sizes, gender differences.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    You say it has every piece of clothing...what about Turles? I want to recreate Turles.

Also, are there the original japanese voices?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Grove wrote: »
    You say it has every piece of clothing...what about Turles? I want to recreate Turles.

Turles is a yes.

Original Japanese voices is also yes.

The English voices are the ones from DBZ: Kai by the way.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention. Your character can show up in other people's PQ missions as an extra combatant. You actually earn money and such when you log in if people have fought you.

Axen on
    Axen wrote: »

Turles is a yes.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention. Your character can show up in other people's PQ missions as an extra combatant. You actually earn money and such when you log in if people have fought you.

This sounds amazing. I'm a huge DBZ fan, but the last few games from the previous gen let me down. I dismissed this one too quickly it seems.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    edited March 2015
    You and me both.

Turles is a yes.

This sounds amazing. I'm a huge DBZ fan, but the last few games from the previous gen let me down. I dismissed this one too quickly it seems.

You and me both.

I noticed the game was Steam's top seller for, like, the past week and I got curious. Looked up a bunch of reviews and they all said the same thing, "Game is totes fun, for realies".

Bought it on a whim and, man, I've had a constant smile on my face since.

Another thing I forgot.

You can become an apprentice to, just about, anyone and learn their skills (also be rewarded with some of their clothing pieces). The list of Mentors is, I'm not sure how long (probably most everyone on the Roster), but I've seen Krillin, Vegeta, Cell, Picollo, Ginyu, Guldo, and Hercule so far. At the end of each mission your Mentor will comment on your performance. Protip: Vegeta is never satisfied.

edit- OH! You can get Ginyu's body swap ability and use it against other players. It is crazy, annoying, and awesome.

Axen on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    This game gets my thumbs up as well. If you are a streamer though, without a capture card, the game will block output of certain scenes (like the whole opening), when streamed from the console. The game itself is simple to start but gets pretty rough fast.

When I first tried (shouldn't probably spoiler as this is aged content but I will):
    Nappa I was sullen when I saw his bar fill up after Goku and Vegeta showed up. As I had a sliver of live left after having to take on all those sayaimen and phase 1 Nappa by myself. PQs and some other things fixed that quickly.

If you are solo playing the AI can be a pain sometimes. Nothing like having my poor Namekian full special bar emptied in a miss because Goku saw fit to knock the enemy around. And some of the counters from enemies can get me shouting obscenities. The combat is still fluid though. Nothing like getting in a good fight with someone with all of the teleporting, blocking and countering.

Nothing is more fun then doing co-op and having one player knock an enemy in the air and then the other two players performing some sort of crazy Ki Blast for like a 60 hit combo. :biggrin:

Battles with other players will create all kinds of "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS F'ING AWESOME!" moments.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    No, there's only 12 mentors. Krillin, Vegeta, Piccolo, Ginyu (The second best), Hercule (THE BEST), Frieza, Cell, android #18, Gohan & Videl, Gotenks, Goku, and Beerus.

And body swap is, unfortunately, only available for 1V1 matches. Cannot be used in story missions, PQs, or even 2v2 or up.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited March 2015
    Krillin is god. Krillin is civilization.

Jubal77 on
    Orin Combo is really good if you're a punchman. too bad his other skills are all Ki based. Gohan and Videl are the only ones to give purely strike. And they're kinda late into the game.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Where are the trainers if you decided to not train with them? Ginyu, Vegetta, and Piccollo all showed up once before but I haven't maxed out Krillian yet and a few PQs later, I don't see them in town anymore.

newSig.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I have this game. It is soul devouring.

PROTIP: If you're a Saiyan and want to be THAT GUY spamming Ki attacks because the CPU is cheap as hell, I HIGHLY recommend Vacation Delete off of....PQ5? I think?

If you have SSJ you can spam it for lockdown on those pesky quests when you're alone. It's AOE and the stun lasts FOREVER.

I also recommend Gravity Force from Cell's mentor quests if you can't be arsed to farm Vacation Delete. It's a normal super ability, wrecks guard, and if the CPU isn't blocking it does a HUGE knockback. It's not an omni-guard, but it's easy enough to funnel multiple enemies into coming straight at you and it's fast start up gives you some much needed breathing room against superfast agressive AI.

Lastly.

FUCK PQ16.

Nocren wrote: »
    Where are the trainers if you decided to not train with them? Ginyu, Vegetta, and Piccollo all showed up once before but I haven't maxed out Krillian yet and a few PQs later, I don't see them in town anymore.
    It's random who shows up in the hub world as a mentor. IT'S REALLY BULLSHIT!

M A G I K A Z A M
    Nocren wrote: »

They seem to appear randomly throughout the city. I think only 3-4 at a time though.

On a different note.

As I mentioned your race and stat allocation can determine your playstyle.

By this I mean if you're heavy on the Ki and Ki Blast stats you'll probably want to have plenty of Ki Blast abilities or powerup/transformation that increases your Ki/Ki Blasts. This will make you more of a longer ranged fighter.

On the other end of the spectrum is going more Stamina and Strike (melee) heavy. You'll be in the enemies face constantly, which can be a danger zone, but with enough skill you could ruin people's day. You'd probably also want a Powerup/Transformation skill more geared to increasing Stamina/Strike power.

Thirdly is the middle ground. Not heavy on Ki Blasts or Strikes. While you're Strikes and Ki Blasts won't do as much damage as someone who went all in on one or the other you will be much more versatile. The ability to switch from melee to Ki Blasts at a moment's notice can be quite the advantage.

All styles are totally viable. It just comes down to how you like to play.

There are also equipable items called Z-Souls. These are special abilities based off of various characters from the series. There are a ton of them and what they do and how they are triggered are too numerous to count.

To give a few examples;

I have one from Frieza (1st Form) that triggers when I get KO'd. Instead of going down I instantly regain about a quarter of my health bar.

There is another that triggers when you're KO'd and it gives the rest of your party a big stat increase.

Some trigger when you're at full Ki, Stamina, or Health. Others trigger when you reach a certain percentage in Ki, Stamina, Health. Others still trigger when party members do certain things.

Z-Souls are many and they can really spice up your character in fun ways.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Going to wait for a sale to pick this one up. But yea.. looks AMAZING

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I told Krillin to hit the road as soon as Vegeta was available to train with. I got Orin Combo from him (and Destructo Disc...meh) and then became BFFs with Vegeta. Galick Gun isn't as strong as Kamehameha, but it fires off quicker I think. I have alot of success combo-ing into Galick Gun anyway.

I haven't played this game in a few days. Are the servers unfucked yet? I don't even want to play online, but still have to sit through two absurdly long attempts to connect to the servers before it puts me in offline mode... super lame =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    There was apparently maintainance on the servers yesterday night, buuuut they don't seem much better.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I told Krillin to hit the road as soon as Vegeta was available to train with. I got Orin Combo from him (and Destructo Disc...meh) and then became BFFs with Vegeta. Galick Gun isn't as strong as Kamehameha, but it fires off quicker I think. I have alot of success combo-ing into Galick Gun anyway.

I haven't played this game in a few days. Are the servers unfucked yet? I don't even want to play online, but still have to sit through two absurdly long attempts to connect to the servers before it puts me in offline mode... super lame =/

PRO TIP: If you're playing a Saiyan and get Vegeta's "Now your planet is dust!"(Or something like that) Z-Soul, and pair it with Galick Gun, it becomes the hardest hitting ability in the game by about 20 miles.

The problem is, it takes A TON OF HEALTH each time you use it, so you will be essentially playing a 1hp character.

You will die alot. But GODDAMN when it hits it HITS.

Skull2185 wrote: »

PRO TIP: If you're playing a Saiyan and get Vegeta's "Now your planet is dust!"(Or something like that) Z-Soul, and pair it with Galick Gun, it becomes the hardest hitting ability in the game by about 20 miles.

The problem is, it takes A TON OF HEALTH each time you use it, so you will be essentially playing a 1hp character.

You will die alot. But GODDAMN when it hits it HITS.
    You're a saiyan. This is what is supposed to be happening, basically.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Started a Steam Group.

Started a Steam Group.

Joined. Guess I'll have to get the game on steam now. Was looking at PS4 though...

Heh.

If it is any consolation, the PC version is (somehow) a really, really good port.

Though I still strongly recommend using a controller.

The game really does look beautiful at 1080p on my big screen. I still kind of wish I would have got it for the PC but eh.

Heh.

If it is any consolation, the PC version is (somehow) a really, really good port.

The PC port is a ROCK SOLID 60 FPS with everything maxed on my paltry 760 without taxing the card in the SLIGHTEST.

It is SO, FUCKING, GOOD.

• BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Love this game when i can play it.

About the mentors, once you've maxed them out and gotten their ultimate stick with them for a while longer to get their level 5 z-soul.

I was rocking Ginyu's for a while, if you use any stat boosting move it increases the stat boost and gives great ki and stamina regen

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I purchased this based on this thread's testimony and the reviews praising the ability to kill Krilin.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Protip, if fighting Goku and Krilin, try not to kill Krilin first.

Or do. Y'know, if you're feeling ballsy.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's a good thing that this vidyagame has nothing to do with any television-programs.

*loud sweating*

TOGSolid wrote: »

Which reminds me, the English localization team had themselves a bit of fun and have included several Easter Eggs and references to various popular fan made DBZ things within the game.

That voice being one of them. :biggrin:

Chi-Chi's and Baba's wigs can turn blonde. This discovery is interesting because a Launch-wig is DLC.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This is a pick a form to fight in DBZ game right? Like I don't get all the Freezas at my disposal, and can transform my way through them during battle can I?

No. The frieza forms are seperate characters.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited March 2015
    The only things used in battle categorised as "transformation" are Kaioken, Kaioken x3, Kaioken x20, SSJ, SSJ2, Super Vegeta, Super Vegeta 2; and exclusively for the regular cast, SSJ3, SSJGod, and Ultimate/Mystic Gohan.
    Anything else is from selection-screen. However, there are other moves and passives which temporarily boost some stat or other without belonging to the transformation-category. A few of them (e.g. human full-ki) even have little aura-visuals.

Edit: Fucking damnit. New testing implies that both height and mass affect blast/strike super-damage. It was previously thought that tall and short characters are about equal for supers, mass instead being the one to look at, but I guess not.

PLA on
    edited March 2015
    Heh.

The PC port is a ROCK SOLID 60 FPS with everything maxed on my paltry 760 without taxing the card in the SLIGHTEST.

It is SO, FUCKING, GOOD.

This game is built on the SF4 engine which is basically the best thing ever to come out of the modern era of Capcom. It's a ridiculously great engine.

Anyhoo, I come bearing information about the game's mechanics! This explains pretty much everything about the game with lotsa pictures.
    http://monkeydvegetto.tumblr.com/post/99483429399/dragonball-xenoverse-fighting-mechanics-v2-0
    WARNING: TONS OF .GIFS

Some things are really annoying me in this game. Specifically, after I slam an enemy into the ground, I can't follow it up with a special energy blast because for some reason it completely whiffs. I've tried Kamehamehas and whatever that starting one is called. This sort of followup is a pretty classic DBZ "EAT SHIT" move so it's kind of a bummer it isn't working. I also wish respeccing wasn't such a huge pain in the ass.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I'll still play some Fashion Ball Z, but knowing that I'd deal more damage with a shorter character is always going to haunt me.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Picked this up before work, Steam download finished like 8 minutes after I left the house. Apparently this has a lot of "Monster Hunter esque" elements to it, where you farm specific story fights and scenarios to get Z souls and whatnot to drop? Plus it has the storyline from the MMORPG backported to a single player game, so... Sold. So sold.

... Is there anyone who DIDN'T start as a Saiyan?

Lets see... Humans are jack of all trades that regenerate Ki (Mana) and get a bonus if their Ki is maxxed out, that's interesting and fits the theme.
    Saiyans are glass cannons that do more damage at low HP, gotcha. (Supposedly they're masters of spam, too.)
    Namekians are tanky HP sponge types, which get Item use bonus and regen, ok, that makes sense.
    Frieza's Race (er, Frost Akuma?) are... speedsters? With a built in paralysis attack?
    And Majins are tanky Defense types that get a bonus to Stamina (wow, monster hunter comparisons are back) and defense...

Hm. Are there race specific items / attacks / etc? Also, apparently gender / height / weight affect stats too?

edited March 2015
    Also, apparently gender / height / weight affect stats too?
    This is something that's really bugging me. Whoever thought that size should affect stats should be dragged into an alley and slapped around.

EDIT: Oh christ team battles are the worst shit ever. Just a giant, unfun, clusterfuck.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited March 2015
    Majins don't get a bonus to Stamina. They recover it more slowly. But they get a defense-buff when it is full.

"Frost Akuma" may be one of the worst fannames I've seen.

Yes to race-exclusive clothing and moves. Most notable among them are the SSJs.

For stats and mechanics in general, bear in mind that they aren't always intuitive/accurately described/even mentioned. Testing in progress.
    Also, apparently gender / height / weight affect stats too?
    This is something that's really bugging me. Whoever thought that size should affect stats should be dragged into an alley and slapped around.

EDIT: Oh christ team battles are the worst shit ever. Just a giant, unfun, clusterfuck.

In the case of gender, they are functionally twin-races. Including exclusive moves. Think of it as eight races. Height and mass seem more universal/regular.

PLA on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Anyhoo, I come bearing information about the game's mechanics! This explains pretty much everything about the game with lotsa pictures.
    http://monkeydvegetto.tumblr.com/post/99483429399/dragonball-xenoverse-fighting-mechanics-v2-0
    WARNING: TONS OF .GIFS
    I learned stuff here! I didn't realise L1 + Tap direction is quick dodge. I've been zooming around at full speed the entire time.

More technical stuff like, Ki blast into a close range encounter, jump over guard ect is good stuff, but I know I'll never be able to do it.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Yes to race-exclusive clothing and moves. Most notable among them are the SSJs.

Hm, the SSJs is obvious, but are there many others? I'm experiencing quite a bit of choice shock here. The only two I've pretty much written off are Majin (although female Majin is kinda neat looking) and Namekian, heh. Human, too, I suppose.

So Saiyan or Freeza's Race. Hm...