As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Signups - A [PHALLA] of Ice and Fire

PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Critical Failures
amok011280ez6.jpg

What is A Song of Ice and Fire?
A Song of Ice and Fire (commonly abbreviated as ASoIaF) is a series of epic fantasy novels by American author George R. R. Martin. According to the author, the series will consist of seven novels.

A Song of Ice and Fire is set primarily in the fictional Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, a large, South America-sized continent with an ancient history stretching back some twelve thousand years. The original inhabitants of the land, the "children of the forest" (whose "old gods" are still worshipped in the North) were conquered by the First Men, who came from the east. Later, the Andals, who brought their seven-faced god across the narrow sea with them, arrived and conquered the southern portion of Westeros, though they were never able to overthrow Moat Cailin and defeat the King in the North. The six Andal kingdoms, Dorne excepted, were later united by Aegon Targaryen, called the Conqueror, and King Torrhen Stark bent the knee to Aegon rather than risk the destruction of his kingdom at the hands of Aegon's dragons. Some 283 years after Aegon's conquest, the Targaryens are overthrown in a civil war and King Robert Baratheon, backed primarily by his friend Lord Eddard Stark and foster father Lord Jon Arryn, takes the Iron Throne. The novels, which begin fifteen years into Robert's reign, follow the fall-out from this event across three major storylines, set not only in Westeros but on the eastern continent as well.

The first storyline, set in the Seven Kingdoms themselves, chronicles a many-sided struggle for the Iron Throne that develops after King Robert's death. The throne is claimed by his son Joffrey, supported by his mother's powerful family, House Lannister, but Robert's brother Stannis claims that Robert's children are illegitimate, and claims the throne himself, to a less-than-enthusiastic response. Robert's youngest brother, Renly, also claims the throne with the support of the extremely powerful House Tyrell. Whilst these three claimants battle for the throne itself, Robb Stark, Lord Eddard Stark's heir, is proclaimed King in the North as the northmen and their allies in the Riverlands seek to break away from the Iron Throne and rule themselves.

What is Phalla?
Phalla is the Penny-Arcade name for Mafia, a party game normally played between a large, uninformed majority, and an informed minority, who compete to be the last team standing. However, many different variations, have arisen, usually to match the different themes the narrator's base their game mechanics on. Indeed, Phalla now is almost a catch-all term for any large, forum-based team game.

This game is created for 40 players, who will be given roles randomly. If you wish, you may request to be put down as a reserve player, if the game is full. Inactive players will be replaced by reserve players after 2 missed days of voting. Newcomers and Veterans alike are welcome.

All votes and actions will close at 12:00 EST, also known as 9:00 PST. Narrations will hopefully be up within the hour after vote closure.

The game will probably go up on Friday, and the first night will end on Monday night, though it's all flexible and dependant on the interest of the players.

1. Freeagent
2. Bliss101
3. Zot
4. Crono729
5. Cj Iwakura
6. Qorzm
7. Frosteey
8. Tehspectre
9. cheez
10. Osvik
11. Obbi
12. DevoutlyApathetic
13. PRËTËNTIÖüS
14. Zzulu
15. Mr. Embarkation
16. NATIK
17. Oatway
18. Shorn Scrotum Man
19. FunkyWaltDogg
20. Jester313
21. Rend
22. Niceguy Myeye
23. Locus
24. Saburbia
25. Squashua
26. Jdarksun
27. Grundlterror
28. durax
29. mrpaku
30. Vic
31. Precisionk
32. Skulk
33. Raakam
34. Lucien
35. robothero
36. Nion
37. delroland
38. Romantic Undead
39. McKid
40. Green

Reserves:

1. Hylianbunny
2. Abysmal Lynx
3. Aldo
4. iamtheaznman

Special thanks to Amok, for the awesome art.

Plutonium on

• FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !Sign me up plut

Woo first

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !I siiiign uuuuuuuuppp!

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd love to play this, but I am only in the middle of A Clash of Kings, and I don't want to be spoiled. Do you think it would be an issue?

Qorzm on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    !Oh god damn I told myself I wouldn't signup but I MUST

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Qorzm wrote: »
    I'd love to play this, but I am only in the middle of A Clash of Kings, and I don't want to be spoiled. Do you think it would be an issue?

No issues. The game takes place just following the death of King Robert, at the start of the first book, and will create its own narrative, depending on all of the player's actions.

Plutonium on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !Oh sweet twin fucking christ! I am in so hard.

I love these books so much. Before the lost phalla I would have told you there was no way anything could have more backstabbery and intrigue than ASoIaF but.... phallas seem to bring out the most insidious parts of human nature.

I hope whoever gets stuck being Ned Stark is unable to lie as part of his role ;p

Book 1 spoiler
    You are...... NED STARK!

you die night one regardless of anything that happens. gg lrn2play game of thrones.

Crono729 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm a sucker for joining up with games that I have absolutely no earthly knowledge of the background for.

!sign up

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007
    !Sign up!

Mark spoilers with what book they are from if you are going to talk about the series please!

Qorzm on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is such a ridiculously bad idea on a personal level...

!Sign up

Frosteey on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I suggest we start Friday provided signups are full. I have a free day Saturday for once and I'd love to spend it on phalla.

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I kind of want to wait for the lost phalla to end... so I can find out who the second great psychic was and bandwagon them night one.

Crono729 on
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm a sucker for joining up with games that I have absolutely no earthly knowledge of the background for.

!sign up

You and me both.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FreeAgent wrote: »

!sign up

You and me both.

I'm not into trying to suggest that you read it, but seriously, A Song of Ice and Fire is basically the best work of fantasy since The Lord of Rings, and most everyone who's read it agrees.

Plutonium on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !Sign up.

Whoo!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »

!sign up

You and me both.

I'm not into trying to suggest that you read it, but seriously, A Song of Ice and Fire is basically the best work of fantasy since The Lord of Rings, and most everyone who's read it agrees.

I've heard a lot of good things, I just never got around to actually checking it out. Who knows, maybe this game will make me want to go read it more.

And hey, Spectre's back. Seems like you've been dead a very long time.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    I met George R R Martin at Comic Con last year and got him to sign A Feast For Crows. He's a cool dude

Qorzm on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »

!sign up

You and me both.

I've heard a lot of good things, I just never got around to actually checking it out. Who knows, maybe this game will make me want to go read it more.

And hey, Spectre's back. Seems like you've been dead a very long time.

Just seems like that due to how long Squash's Lost Phalla is taking. (No offense Mr.Squash) I survived a few days into it before my crotch was removed, then I "Lost" interest. Just the like the show, it seems to drag and make my brain hurt.

Hell, I was alive just 2 days ago in the D&D phalla as well, though I did die on day 1 of the mini phalla over here.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm like 100 pages into a game of thrones. I think I might sit this one out =(

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    like this!

cheez on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm like 100 pages into a game of thrones. I think I might sit this one out =(

Just read faster.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • OsvikOsvik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !Sign me up

Finally a phalla where I have a lot of knowledge on the source material

Osvik on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Taking my long awaited phalla break after PhalLOST is over.

Have fun, folks!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    !sign up

think these phallas might be a lil' addictive.

Obbi on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Geez, you posted this right after I gave up hope that'd be up soon.

I !sign up, this "Not playing Phalla" thing isn't going to work if people keep choosing themes that I love.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Obbi wrote: »
    think these phallas might be a lil' addictive.
    Agreed!

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !sign me up

M.D. on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !I shall be there.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sign me up!

Oats on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !sign me up!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    B:L wrote: »
    Taking my long awaited phalla break after PhalLOST is over.

Have fun, folks!

I'm with B:L on this one. If you need reserves I can do that, but I could use a break from these for a bit otherwise.

Ardor on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2007
    ugh, im about to host a game in D&D.... but i want to play so bad!

Unknown User on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !sign up

Also, how sad is it that I started reading ASOIaF a few weeks ago just so that I could follow this game?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !i'm in

Jester313 on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !Lets do it!

Rend on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Niceguy Myeye on