As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Ball Xenoverse: Have you let Goku in to your heart?

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Want this :( when I have time, I guess. Rewatching DBZ:Abridged makes me itch for this game.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Want this :( when I have time, I guess. Rewatching DBZ:Abridged makes me itch for this game.

This won't help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwnFhFbJ9es

Team Fourstar plays Xenoverse...

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    You can get through with anything (eventually), and then you get seven additional character-slots. None of them are notably worthless. Humans compete with saiyans for damage.

I'm not sure about how many the exclusive moves are, but male Majin seems to have more of them than the rest, and none of them, at first glance mind you, seem as big a deal as SSJ. It's stuff like "stretchy punching". I guess the Majin self-heal is neat, though.

Oh, there are variations in basic combos that do make a difference, in damage and in whereto enemies are launched, but that's a bit tougher to quantify. Freeza's race is actually a successful punchguy-race despite lesser damage per hit.
    Edit: Actually, since the stunning blast of Freeza's race is a slow-moving projetile, you might want to stick close to use it, and it's not easy to get away from one who wants to stick close, because of the speed-advantage.

PLA on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Majins don't get a bonus to Stamina. They recover it more slowly. But they get a defense-buff when it is full.

"Frost Akuma" may be one of the worst fannames I've seen.

Yes to race-exclusive clothing and moves. Most notable among them are the SSJs.

For stats and mechanics in general, bear in mind that they aren't always intuitive/accurately described/even mentioned. Testing in progress.
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Also, apparently gender / height / weight affect stats too?
    This is something that's really bugging me. Whoever thought that size should affect stats should be dragged into an alley and slapped around.

EDIT: Oh christ team battles are the worst shit ever. Just a giant, unfun, clusterfuck.

In the case of gender, they are functionally twin-races. Including exclusive moves. Think of it as eight races. Height and mass seem more universal/regular.

Eh, I'd rather be able to pick my gender and build without it affecting my stats.
    KiTA wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

This won't help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwnFhFbJ9es

Team Fourstar plays Xenoverse...

I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD THEY TALK TO ME THEY UNDERSTAND

Oh god, 10/10

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited March 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD THEY TALK TO ME THEY UNDERSTAND

Oh god, 10/10

Yeah, I was about to go Female Saiyan, but then I discovered Voice 8...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LbTWnptt6s

Apparently they invited the entire TFS team to the recording session for Voice 8 and they were rewriting the script on the fly to be a gag dub. So Voice 8 is uh... weird. Really weird.

Female Voice 4 is Happy from the Fairy Tail dub, not sure if it's as silly. I skipped that anime.

KiTA on
    I skipped that .

There is no such thing.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I was gonna just straight up make Ghost Nappa but none of the faces have the right facial hair.

My sad is infinite.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I skipped that .

There is no such thing.

(Ok, full disclosure, we just skipped the filler. But watched it subbed, like civilized human beings.)

I do hope "more hairstyles" is in the works for DLC.

More wigs are coming. Probably can't be recoloured; may or may not turn blonde under SSJ.

• KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    I have been loving the game EXCEPT for the inability to have more than one custom character.

I hope you unlock the other slots you can see but not use after beating the main story? Weird design decision. I wound up cheesing a dragonball hunt to do a stat reset because of my horrible initial choices.

Yes, you can have eight customised characters in total.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The one thing disappointing about this game is the ground scars don't stay for more than half a second.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I mentioned it in the SE thread, but

Vacation Delete. Seriously, that ultimate will get you through a lot of headaches in the story.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Kisidan wrote: »
    I have been loving the game EXCEPT for the inability to have more than one custom character.

I hope you unlock the other slots you can see but not use after beating the main story? Weird design decision. I wound up cheesing a dragonball hunt to do a stat reset because of my horrible initial choices.

Is that the only use for the Dragonballs? I was hoping you could wish for loot or something...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Is that the only use for the Dragonballs? I was hoping you could wish for loot or something...

character slots are unlocked after you beat the story once.

The dragonballs can be used to wish for money, a level up, special abilities, special equipment, and special characters, along with a stat reset or a makeover.

The money is pocketchange, lategame. The supers and ultimates are exclusive to wishing, and it takes four wishes to get them all.

The makeover does not extend to race, gender or name.

My frost demon has 6 ki bars and currently has 69 points in Ki Supers, with 25 pips from equipment. His Special Beam Cannon hits like a truck. Beerus dies so damn quickly.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    You can get through with anything (eventually), and then you get seven additional character-slots. None of them are notably worthless. Humans compete with saiyans for damage.

I'm not sure about how many the exclusive moves are, but male Majin seems to have more of them than the rest, and none of them, at first glance mind you, seem as big a deal as SSJ. It's stuff like "stretchy punching". I guess the Majin self-heal is neat, though.

Oh, there are variations in basic combos that do make a difference, in damage and in whereto enemies are launched, but that's a bit tougher to quantify. Freeza's race is actually a successful punchguy-race despite lesser damage per hit.
    Edit: Actually, since the stunning blast of Freeza's race is a slow-moving projetile, you might want to stick close to use it, and it's not easy to get away from one who wants to stick close, because of the speed-advantage.
    Majins get a self heal? What is it? I've been trying to find the majin exclusive items for awhile now, and have only found a couple.

M A G I K A Z A M
    It's a quick nap. Not as convenient as regeneration, but hey.

Damn. I was hoping you were about to tell me that the ability to turn a man into a cookie and eat them was available to the player. seems like it's majin buu exclusive, and not a majin buu you can use.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    Damn. I was hoping you were about to tell me that the ability to turn a man into a cookie and eat them was available to the player. seems like it's majin buu exclusive, and not a majin buu you can use.

There is a Zsoul with a chance to turn people into candy.

Docshifty wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »

There is a Zsoul with a chance to turn people into candy.
    It's just a z-soul version of the candy beam evasive. You cannot eat the candy.

M A G I K A Z A M
    I'm honestly surprised a DBZ game hasn't embraced finishers.

Second form Frieza wins with a strike attack he gorges the opponent like Krillin. Vegeta chucks them in the air and incinerates them like Nappa. Things like that.

Also, Server is still completely unusable. Sigh. I would like to play with other human mans.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    I am a little sad that the spectacle in general seems less than in... Tenkaichi 3? Raging Blast? I forget which one went hog wild on crazy cutscene ultimates.

Still nice to have a new Z game though, and if this revitalizes the franchise with customization at the heart I will be giving them all the money for years to come.

I am a little sad that the spectacle in general seems less than in... Tenkaichi 3? Raging Blast? I forget which one went hog wild on crazy cutscene ultimates.

Still nice to have a new Z game though, and if this revitalizes the franchise with customization at the heart I will be giving them all the money for years to come.

There's a fair bit of spectacle, its just that with upwards of like 9 fighters on the screen letting loose ultimates, unless you're far back from the action, you don't see all of it.

Also, if you take your master into fights with you, they have special dialogue.

It's the little touches in this game that are awesome.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    All this 'this game is fun' talk got me interested in DBZ again, so I finally binge watched DBZ Abriged.

Now I want to play this game even more.

Fuck!

• Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    I enjoy the game but I believe their servers are made from popsicle sticks and paste. Also a minor gripe is having to run back to the parallel quest booth every time. Other than that it's a blast to play.

Mailman12089.jpg
    I enjoy the game but I believe their servers are made from popsicle sticks and paste. Also a minor gripe is having to run back to the parallel quest booth every time. Other than that it's a blast to play.

I kind of accept the running back every time thing because it puts you right in front of your master so if he's ready for the next step in training you don't have to hunt them down.

These servers are buuuunk though, yeah.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I almost forgot about this game. Pretty much thought it would be trash... but impressions seem pretty positive.

Question... the 3v3 online battles. Is that literally 6 different players fighting simultaneously? If that's the case, I need to buy this right the fuck now.

steam_sig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Question... the 3v3 online battles. Is that literally 6 different players fighting simultaneously? If that's the case, I need to buy this right the fuck now.

Yes. But if this is your main interest in the game, I'd wait. The servers don't work at all right now.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Yes. But if this is your main interest in the game, I'd wait. The servers don't work at all right now.

I've been a Dragon Ball fan since the original, so it's not my only interest... but it ranks highly on my list. One of these days, someone is going to make a Dragon Ball fighting game that nails the theme so thoroughly, it becomes one of the best fighting games of all time. Until then, I need to keep funding the franchise so my dream has a chance to happen.

Does it allow for local co-op/vs or online only? I'm having a boys night this Friday so I'd grab it up for some local action if it's possible!

steam_sig.png
    Local 1v1 only

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I do miss Roccombe's OG voice, the deeper one from the Toonami run, not what he currently has.

Any tips for the Freeza fight? Dude's kicking my ass with his Super.

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »
    I do miss Roccombe's OG voice, the deeper one from the Toonami run, not what he currently has.

Any tips for the Freeza fight? Dude's kicking my ass with his Super.

Which Frieza fight? The multiparter where he kicks Vegeta in the face, then Piccolo, then Goku shows up?

If it's that one, I just avoided doing much of anything in the first two parts, since they end when those characters go down, so I had the most life and items ready for the final fight, and I think Frieza starts each phase at full life anyways, so the damage you could do before the final is pointless. Past that, jet around if you see he has you targetted, so hopefully he swaps to Goku instead, then lay down the hurting. Repeat until you manage to win.

Or farm PQs for levels.

edited March 2015
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Local 1v1 only

That's cool. It'd be difficult to make 3v3 local enjoyable given the camera angle.

Def grabbing this on Steam. It'll have the longest tail there I imagine.

Thanks guys!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    For the OP @Axen, there some additional information you might wanna put in:
    Ki and Stamina gain bars at 25 (5 bars), 50 (6 bars), 75 (7 bars), and 100 (8 bars) points invested. The 4th bar comes automatically with levels, but can be gained early by investing some points into the stats.
    Equipment bonuses/penalties for stats are a static +1 or -1 to a stat for every > or < arrow, and not % based.
    Height & Build The taller you are the harder your character hits while the shorter they are the faster they move. The bulkier you are the harder your Strikes are and the skinnier you are the harder your Ki blasts and powers do.

You also left out the gender bonuses/differences in the races, which is on top of the normal race traits.
    Male Saiyans - Stronger Basic Attacks and longer buffs (Kaioken, Super Sayan, etc.), weaker Super/Ultimate Attacks.
    Female Saiyans - Faster Ki and Stamina recovery bonus, Health penalty.

Male Earthling - Stronger Basic Attacks.
    Female Earthling - Stronger Ki Blasts.

Male Majin - Health bonus (coupled with the Defense bonus, this makes them extremely tanky), Speed penalty (makes them the slowest race).
    Female Majin - Speed bonus (makes them the second fastest race next to Freeza), Health penalty.

There are race exclusive moves. Majin get attacks and abilities based upon some of Buu's moves (Candy Beam, etc.), some exclusive by gender. Saiyans and Earthlings get sword moves. Saiyans of course get Super Saiyan.

All damage buffs stack with each other. This makes Humans monster physical basic attackers because the Max Ki buff + Kaioken buff + and buff from a Pose-type move all combine on top of each other.

When you beat the game, your other character slots unlock. All your Outfits, Skills, Publish Quest unlocks, Mentors, etc. carry over. Basically only Level and Story Progress are specific to character with everything else account based.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I would also say this game is fun as hell and there is no way I had any idea I'd have this much fun playing a DBZ game.

I preordered this while intoxicated on a whim. Easily one of my best drunk decisions.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Friendly tip for multiplayer. You don't actually have to connect to the Multi-Lobby or the XENOVERSE server to play with friends (at least on Steam).

If someone makes a PQ Room (for example) and they're on your Steam friends list you can just join on them through Steam (since matches are hosted peer to peer).

Like two days ago the entire server was down for maintenance all day, but it didn't stop @mojojoeo and I from having crazy fun. :razz:

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.