As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Holy crap new cycle of Commands!

en_uQPmh8y5Cz.png

TY based wotc

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I hope the others are better than that one :(

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I'm guessing G/W is something like:

Dromoka’s Command
    2GW
    Instant (R)
    Choose two:
    - Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    - Permanents you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
    - Destroy target noncreature permanent.
    - Search your library for a creature card and reveal it. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

I'm guessing G/W is something like:

Dromoka’s Command
    2GW
    Instant (R)
    Choose two:
    - Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    - Permanents you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
    - Destroy target noncreature permanent.
    - Search your library for a creature card and reveal it. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.

That would be amazing and far superior to Ojutai's.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

635610604922591953.png

Mmmmmmm, tasty.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Without any way to protect herself she's going to be very difficult to use well. Effectively starting at 7 loyalty helps. I can definitely forsee many times when she isn't much better than one of the worst versions of Ojutai's Command (gain 4, draw a card) though.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Yeah, her lack of defense options is a thing, but starting at 7 at 4 mana is huge and having two abilities that generate card advantage is a big deal.

Although again... unless you know what's on top (not impossible, granted) there's a reasonable chance that her +1 does nothing but show you the land you're gonna draw next turn and you can't -2 her the same turn you cast her until much later in the game.

Like I said: difficult, but definitely potential.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I think it was Johnny Cash who sang

I'll tell you no and you're gonna ask me why, why, why
    When I remind you of all of this and you'll scry, scry, scry.

edited March 2015
    Atarka's Command puts Ojutai's to shame.

Feral on

Geez, yeah. That card is really good.

635611297130248294.png

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, guys, I need some help. Some people at work started playing magic at lunch, and it kind of gave me the bug again. I haven't played since Kamigawa, and don't have any cards.

If I was looking to work towards a collection able to at least have fun during the occasional FNM, where should I start? I could probably justify grabbing a booster box plus a fatpack or some duel decks, but is that the best way to go? What set should I get?

Help me, Obi-wan Kenobis! You're my only hope!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, guys, I need some help. Some people at work started playing magic at lunch, and it kind of gave me the bug again. I haven't played since Kamigawa, and don't have any cards.

If I was looking to work towards a collection able to at least have fun during the occasional FNM, where should I start? I could probably justify grabbing a booster box plus a fatpack or some duel decks, but is that the best way to go? What set should I get?

Help me, Obi-wan Kenobis! You're my only hope!
    I don't play, but one thing I know is: opening random packs to get cards to make a deck with is not the best value (of course you might get lucky, but on average you won't). If you are looking to maximize value, you are better off finding a serviceable deck list and just buying that deck. Save pack opening for drafts.

YoungFrey on
    I don't like netdecking. That takes out a bunch of the fun for me.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Ink, even if you don't 'netdeck' (which is hardly even considered a thing any more), it's still more cost effective for you to just look through card image galleries (magiccards.info, gatherer, etc) and find cards you like to build your own decks and buy those.

Or just go buy commander precon decks because it's an awesome format. Although it's less FNM focused, I'm sure you could find a commander game during/after FNM at most stores.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    I guess I'm just used to the way I used to play--pull cards until I found a couple that I really like, then build a deck around them. But I guess that is a bit inefficient.

Guess I'll go and start looking through 1000 cards then and see if I lose interest halfway through :P

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You can always just draft a bunch and build your deck with the cards you get from there; once you get a shell going you can supplement it with the necessary singles.

Alternately, the Fate Reforged Clash Pack is semi-decent value for the start of a GB constellation deck, if that's a deck you'd be interested in. Hero's Downfall, Courser of Kruphix, Whip of Erebos, Doomwake Giant, Eidolon of Blossoms... and some other stuff are all competitive cards, some of which are pricey as well.

Ink, even if you don't 'netdeck' (which is hardly even considered a thing any more), it's still more cost effective for you to just look through card image galleries (magiccards.info, gatherer, etc) and find cards you like to build your own decks and buy those.

Or just go buy commander precon decks because it's an awesome format. Although it's less FNM focused, I'm sure you could find a commander game during/after FNM at most stores.

Hey Commander is a valid format option for FNM now. (So is Vintage, for that matter.) Depends on the store.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

OC is fine and will totally see play.

Anyway I think its funny that people keep name dropping Cryptic when it would have to create a new archetype to see play since no deck could play it now.

Quire.jpg
    Maybe Ojutai just isn't the commanding type? Does he prefer a more hands-off leadership style?

Because Silumgar knows how to command, dammit.

en_GHtbNb34xC.png

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    c6Ou1Ho.jpg

This looks important.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It would be big at one mana, at two... eh.

It would be banned in Modern at 1 mana.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And at two it's irrelevant. That's the format. :P

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I might play it over telling time in scapeshift.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Not sure how many of you venture into the SE++ thread, so:

I wrote a thing!

Go read it if you play any form of sanctioned paper magic, it's useful knowledge

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Not sure how many of you venture into the SE++ thread, so:

I wrote a thing!

Go read it if you play any form of sanctioned paper magic, it's useful knowledge

This is giving me a 502 error.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    The host had some issues yesterday, it should be back up now

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2015
    Hmm, an actual F2P Magic game coming. I guess they want a slice of that sweet Hearthstone market.

It'll probably be a lot more limited than Magic Online, otherwise it'll compete with that too.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/06/magic-the-gathering-free/

edit: oh, that's the future instalment of Duels.

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Hmm, an actual F2P Magic game coming. I guess they want a slice of that sweet Hearthstone market.

It'll probably be a lot more limited than Magic Online, otherwise it'll compete with that too.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/06/magic-the-gathering-free/

edit: oh, that's the future instalment of Duels.
    The current iteration of Duels was heavily criticized for having too many "optional" FTP hooks in it. Seems like they decided to stop trying to serve two masters and leaned to the FTP side. Which makes sense. The main purpose of Duels for WotC is as a tutorial for Magic proper. If they can give that away for free they will recruit way more customers in the long run. And being free, the paid stuff will likely see a much larger adoption too since people won't feel as much like they are being soaked after buying the game.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The FTP aspects was not the reason this Duels got criticized. That it was poop from a butt that did quite a number of things worse than previous versions was the real issue.

I think I've played the last three or four years of the game and 2015 was the first one where the mana tapping was offensively bad. In previous years you just sorta let the computer handle it, this year it seemed to actively try and close off plays. (Yes, there is a button, that is a pain in the ass with the tablet-ed controls.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    oh my goodness silumgar

i think kolaghan is just hell trolly though

"we named it an elder dragon but it is basically useless in elder dragon games"

The FTP aspects was not the reason this Duels got criticized. That it was poop from a butt that did quite a number of things worse than previous versions was the real issue.

I think I've played the last three or four years of the game and 2015 was the first one where the mana tapping was offensively bad. In previous years you just sorta let the computer handle it, this year it seemed to actively try and close off plays. (Yes, there is a button, that is a pain in the ass with the tablet-ed controls.)
    Microtransactions was certainly one of the reasons players were angry. Look at the Metacritic. Just in the blurbs I count 16 microtransaction references. And a number of references to pay to win too.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    In their defense, they did get rid of the "premium" packs and made those free, you just need to unlock them by winning multiplayer games. So Duels 2015 is a one-time purchase now, not counting the expansion stuff.

635615774093074930.png

I like this.

Reach and trample are an odd pair of abilities.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Arch wrote: »
    oh my goodness silumgar

i think kolaghan is just hell trolly though

"we named it an elder dragon but it is basically useless in elder dragon games"

His 'lose 10 life' trigger is 99.999% irrelevant in EDH, yes, and he is a mediocre general

But the rest of him is useful enough. Creatures that give all other creatures you control haste usually require green, so this dude at least fills a decent niche in Kaalia decks.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Reach and trample are an odd pair of abilities.

a) Green.
    b) "of the resolute": good blocking.
    c) The flavor reason for reach seems to be due to being a humanoid that's just that fucking tall.
    d) Something that big would probably trample even if it didn't mean to.

I meant more along the lines of "these two abilities have zero play overlap. One is strictly blocking, the other strictly attacking." Could just as easily been Vigilance and one or the other.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    What's wrong with being good on offense and defense? Particularly when it has the potential to be real big.