As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Graphic Violence is Turning 10 Years Old!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
Hey everyone, it's me, the moderator, with some incredible news about this very subforum! Graphic Violence is either already 10 years old or about to turn 10 years old, and that's pretty cool!

In the next few weeks, I think we can start taking a look back at where the comic book industry has gone since this subforum launched, but first, I figure we should take a look at the future of Graphic Violence. It's probably not a huge shock to anyone to discover that the activity level in here is way lower than it has been in the past, which is kind of crazy considering how the comic book industry has grown in the past decade, and how some of the biggest movies of all time have featured comic book superheroes. I know some of our regulars have moved on to other places, both on these forums and elsewhere, and my question for everyone here is:

What would you like to see out of a comic book forum in 2015?

Please keep in mind, this isn't a place to discuss moderator decisions like "who got banned," or "why can't we talk about this." If you have issues with anything like that, you can take those up via PM. I want to hear what kind of threads you want to see, what kind of comic book related shenanigans people want to get up to. One of our most enduring threads around here is a thread where people post their progress creating their own comics. Would you like to see more of that? Or anything. The floor is open.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    i don't know if it would be successful but man am I nostalgic for the stupid villain fight/hero fight contests.

having threads to talk about scripting would be pretty cool.

Really I think one of the bigger problems is that the superhero thread in SE has been so successful. which isn't something that can be fixed, really.

Langly on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    TBH I would be really interested in seeing a podcast or something to that effect talking about the weekly releases. If I had the funds to scratch the surface on a couple of titles I'd consider it myself but I think that would be cool.

Or maybe just some sort of round table weekly thread akin to the MOTW but maybe have a broader range to talk about with regards to the weekly titles and not just MOTW's.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One thing I've noticed, I know I'm guilty of it, is the past few christmas migrations have sucked a lot of us into Se++ and D&D's comic and superhero threads, which then sucked us into those subforums, and the pit has no bottom.

We need a migration to cause it in reverse a little heh. I know I visit it regular, but I post much less because usually have posted similar already elsewhere now, and the double post brain spiders will get me!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    @WiseManTobes hit it. I just find that a lot of the conversation is sitting inside of other sub-forums these days. I'm not sure there's a very easy fix for that.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, the SE++ thread is #1 reason I don't post in this subforum more. I love that thread dearly, but it's undenible that it's taking the lions share of comic book discussion on this forum. When it comes to posting I always have to make the choice between posting it here, where it's more on topic but might only get a couple of replies, or posting it in that thread where it could spark a multiple page discussion. I'd love it if there was some way to get people to migrate over, but I have a feeling if the SE thread went away, we'd just see less posts about comics overall rather than a migration.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I join in the conversation in both places, but I actually prefer the threads over here when they are active, for one thing the other thread tends to go towards the TV shows quite often and I haven't watched any of them. I don't know how possible it is, but we seem to end up with all activity in the big thread for DC and Marvel instead of unique threads for some comics. Maybe if there were a way to break those out a bit it would help.

I like the weekly podcast idea. I don't read a huge amount of books each week and some of those are considered shitty (Harley for example) but I think that would be really fun to do. I think we all like to post what we're buying but after that the conversation goes away - this would be a cool way for it to continue beyond the purchase :)

Lindsay Lohan on
    Are there any decent Pen and Paper type rulesets for Superheroes nowadays? That's another thread type that could bump up some activity

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I havent posted here in forever. I agree when it comes to comics discussions i tend to go to the superhero thread in SE++

I need to look over the rules in this sub forum to see what suggestions i can come up with.

When i get a moment.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Keep in mind that those rules are very old and possibly not televant

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    i don't know if it would be successful but man am I nostalgic for the stupid villain fight/hero fight contests.

having threads to talk about scripting would be pretty cool.

Really I think one of the bigger problems is that the superhero thread in SE has been so successful. which isn't something that can be fixed, really.

On the subject of contests that this forum used to do, I miss the Create a Hero/Villain threads, where a general theme would be given and people just go nuts within it.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Langly wrote: »

That's how I became a part of this community. So from the looks of it i've been here since. . .oh wow ten years.

I came for the hero/villain fights and stayed for the awesome community. I don't collect comics as actively as I once did and a big problem I have is that i'm not reading any ongoing titles but I try to dig out an indie or two whenever I get the opportunity. There isn't really a great way to talk about those titles outside of making a comment in the awesome moments thread or something similar.

Alternatively i'll just @ the few comic readers in the [chat] thread up north and have a brief discussion that way.

but the super hero fight thing would surely be cool.

edit: it introduced me to so many characters and plot lines.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think this is sort of smaller case what is happening in comics in general and is highlighted by the difference between "superheroes" and "comics." You've got an SE thread, D&D threads, G&T has it, because that's what people and publishers want these days and the audience is responding in kind. It's not panels but storyboards and polygons. I haven't checked out CBR in a long time, looked at it this weekend, and half the news articles are about movie and TV stuff, and more and more clickbait things. That's kind of the reality now, comics piggybacking on the movies they made possible for any sort of attention. And I don't really know if anything could be done about that, on top of people just moving on in general.

IMO, from the big 2, it's clear comics aren't their priority anymore and they're just don't care, and it sort of shows. So why care about things these two find, I wouldn't say beneath them, but clearly second or third banana to other endeavors? It feels like the publishing houses are going to really fall or change in a year or two when variant covers and Star Wars can't hide what's been happening since pretty much the DC reboot.

That said, expanding the MOTW stuff more about anything dropping that week and saying why something might be worth picking up/avoided is a simple way to start.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    -Classic storyline discussion threads - With stuff like Marvel Unlimited available now, its pretty easy to go back and read tons of older stuff. And with how much things like Secret Wars and such are referencing the old stuff, it isnt a bad idea to have a way to go back and discuss some of them.

-Deals thread - Find great deals on TPBs? Post em!

-Comic Loot thread - kinda related to the Action figure thread i guess, but find cool Tshirt designs or other stuff that others might be interested in or post your most recent acquisitions

-The create a _____ threads are a really cool idea, and Id be down for that completely.

-Manga discussion threads. I know other parts of the forum take issue to these, so why not have them here? Its still comics. Not anime threads, but strictly manga. They would be under strict no NSFW content/no mentioning of pirate locations (only links can be to official purchasing locations or to stuff like Shonen Jumps online viewer service.) I think this would actually go over fairly well across the forum.

-Threads on non-Big 2 stuff (this is starting to happen more now thankfully)

-Webcomics Thread! - This is Penny Arcade and we dont have a webcomics thread in the comics section? Talk about your favorite strips! I always love finding good new webcomics to read.

ManetherenWolf on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Ughhh no manga please.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    -Webcomics Thread! - This is Penny Arcade and we dont have a webcomics thread in the comics section? Talk about your favorite strips! I always love finding good new webcomics to read.

Buried somewhere in my Dropbox is the draft of an OP for a Gunnerkrigg Court thread, so I'd be down for more of this

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know next to nothing about Manga, but don't really see the harm in a thread or two about it if it brings people into this corner of the forums. What is it about them that cause them to be a forbidden topic? I agree that they are still comics.

Every once and awhile we used to have a "Post your Gaming Setup" in G&T - maybe a "Post your Collection/Storage" or a "Show a few things you proud of" thread to encourage some discussion? I know I'd LOVE to see how other people are displaying/hiding/organizing their stuff.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I know next to nothing about Manga, but don't really see the harm in a thread or two about it if it brings people into this corner of the forums. What is it about them that cause them to be a forbidden topic? I agree that they are still comics.

Every once and awhile we used to have a "Post your Gaming Setup" in G&T - maybe a "Post your Collection/Storage" or a "Show a few things you proud of" thread to encourage some discussion? I know I'd LOVE to see how other people are displaying/hiding/organizing their stuff.

Mainly the fact that it goes almost hand in hand with anime which is...a heated topic to put it politely around most of the forums.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The 2 big issues I've seen with manga/anime threads being strictly controlled in other parts of the forum seem to have been

1. Piracy. I think this is less an issue now that there are so many legit sources like Shonen jumps US site, and crunchy roll and Hulu, to procure online reading and viewing. Plus us volume releases are happening much faster from Japanese release as well.
    2. Nsfw stuff. Differences in cultures aside there is a lot of content that is just not appropriate and sometimes downright creepy.

Honestly my suggestion would be limit it to manga discussion only or in the case of a dedicated series thread (like say a one piece thread) there could be related media like the anime version or games discussed as well.

ManetherenWolf on
    Keep in mind that those rules are very old and possibly not televant

oh oh first suggestion.

Update the rules.

Though this maybe dependent on all the suggestions in this thread I suppose.

Manga and anime are essentially under a forum wide ban because there have have been...a lot of issues with the subjects in the past.

And the rules thread in here is essentially superseded by the universal rules thread

edited March 2015
    Is there already a thread for a person who wants to start collecting comics.

Like i know there is an introduction to good comics.

But i meant the collection, storage and maintenance.

Also like examples of suggestions of good starting spots.

For instance i just got my first bonus at work.

First thing i did was go and buy physical comics again.

Spent about $200 on moon knight v7, Star Wars(current), Darth Vader(current), Inhumans, Spider Gwen, Loki: Agent of Asgard, Spider-Man 2099, and that's it so far.

Some of those were not cheap runs to start on, and i guess i would have liked more help at the time for good suggestions.

And they don't have to be limited to the main publishers.

But honestly for all i know that thread already exists and i have been gone so long i didn't even know it was there.

Devlin_Dragonus on

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    It's crazy I really started mostly as a lurker here back when IGN posted the artwork for the upcoming stories beginning in Amazing Spider-Man 600. I walked into a comics shop for the first time in nearly 10 years and now have probably close to 10+ short boxes and a long box.

What I loved that I don't see as much here is costume designs/redesigns and preview art. I know @Munch used to post a lot of his stuff, but maybe a subthread on upcoming art/designs across all publishers. I know that it happens incidentally in news posts but I buy a lot of random books across publishers just based on the gorgeous art.

Ya GV will always hold a special nostalgic spot for me, I lurked only here for years, and even once I started posting, I hid here in GV, because the people in Se+ and D&D were scary weirdos

And now,... I am one of the scary weirdos!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I think forum-based activities that invite contributions are a win. That might be damningly vague, but...what brings us together is that we get to come around and have awesome views on comics and stuff. Most of the time, anyway.

As other people have said, GV was supplemented pretty strongly when comics were basically the only way to enjoy comic book characters, but that's been diffused in these wild days of transcendental media, social media games, and whatnot. I'm not even sure if anyone has ever mentioned a comic-book based video game in here in the last year, and that's totally cool, but a strong example of how visitors with comic book interests might not actually come around to the comic book forum.

But something forumers could do together that invites outside contribution, and maybe can be done in less than a month, so that there can be a number of iterations over the course of several months that allow the participants to get better at that thing without turning into something overlong.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Are the big Hero/Villain battles out of the questions?

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, the SE++ thread is #1 reason I don't post in this subforum more. I love that thread dearly, but it's undenible that it's taking the lions share of comic book discussion on this forum. When it comes to posting I always have to make the choice between posting it here, where it's more on topic but might only get a couple of replies, or posting it in that thread where it could spark a multiple page discussion. I'd love it if there was some way to get people to migrate over, but I have a feeling if the SE thread went away, we'd just see less posts about comics overall rather than a migration.

Honestly though, not all of those discussion detours are really a productive 6 pages. There is definitely a major tone difference between this forum and that thread.

steam_sig.png
    Are the big Hero/Villain battles out of the questions?

Nothing's really out of the question. Those are a lot of work though, so they'd be unlikely to start, you know, tomorrow. But, stay tuned!

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Honestly though, not all of those discussion detours are really a productive 6 pages. There is definitely a major tone difference between this forum and that thread.

Yeah, I have to say I prefer the on-topic-ness of this forum, especially since I'm almost exclusively reading books (no TV) and I'm usually a few days late to do so. The SE++ thread has a pretty frantic pace, and if you don't have your books read by Thursday or so, you kind of miss out on the conversation as it moves on to the next thing. I also enjoy the idea of not just throwing everything into a single-thread void.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to get people back here.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Whoa, 10 years

I miss TLB and am still bummed Project Sentry fell apart
    it was the only script I actually finished

I don't read many comic these days
    there seems to be a lot of quality stuff from marvel and image, but I cannot afford comics and video games
    I've been picking video games

I miss TLB

Yeah. No one yet has quite managed to replace the ever-brimming font of crusty wisdom that was TLB.

I also miss wwtMask, he seemed cool.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've always loved that GV had a relatively small circle of extremely regular posters. It might seem counter-productive to appreciate a lack of people, but what it meant (from my perspective) was that everyone who did post became memorable. Everyone's personality shone through. I didn't feel like I was posting on an anonymous message board, I felt like I was talking shop with a tightly-knit community. This is why the annual Secret Superheroes are so important for me - they're a way for the tightly-knit-communityness to reach beyond the computer screen.

Of course, having only a few regular posters means that once you lose a couple, you can dip below a certain critical mass, where conversations just tend to stall out and fall off. That's kind of what happened. Folks went off to comic book discussions in other sub-forums, and stopped posting here as often. Understandable - there's only so much time you can spend per day on forums - but very regrettable.

I can't really point fingers, because I've also been posting (and reading the forum) way less. In my case, it's not that I've been two-timing with another forum, it's that I am super behind on comics. Like, about a year behind. I'm still buying them weekly, like a chump, but then instead of reading them I just pile them up on the dinner table. Last winter, I had a weird schedule, and couldn't really fit in regular, weekly comic book reading sessions for a couple of months. This led to a backlog that just kept growing. At a certain point, it got to where I'd look at my backlog pile and rather than grab a book and read, I'd shrink away in terror. Unfortunately, being so behind on comics meant that (1) I didn't have much to contribute to current events discussions on GV, and (2) I didn't want to read most threads due to concerns about spoilers.

One thing I miss from this forum's heyday, specifically (aside from some of the folks who no longer post here, which is the #1 thing), is the general comics news thread. There once was a place where we'd talk about general creator news, conventions, things that didn't neatly fit into Marvel/DC/Image/other specific publisher threads. This forum used to be where I got all my comic book news, all in one spot; now I mainly get it from following comic booky people on Twitter.

The contests we held were also a lovely thing. I didn't participate as much as I probably should have, but I loved reading the writing and looking at the art.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I suppose I should venture more on SE++...I used to visit the DC thread at least once a week but lately it has slowed down a bunch.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Yeah, the Comics News Thread fueled a lot of fun speculation, but I'm pretty sure there were side effects for having it around that made it kinda not great after a while.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I suppose I should venture more on SE++...I used to visit the DC thread at least once a week but lately it has slowed down a bunch.

Well, that's in large part because of DC really screwing the pooch with the reboot, and being aimless for a good chunk of their books. I really can't emphasize how much DC has killed my love for comics. It's not that they went in a different direction, it's that they went in no direction. It's a house on sand.

And with the news thread, it was a great place to have things narrowed because I too used it more for comic news later on, but with twitter teases and promo teases and teasers for teasers and even saying something's going to be on The View so tune in but then it isn't because that's how little people (and Disney/Marvel/ABC) really care about comics even when it's in their family, it just kind of makes it feel less important.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I miss TLB

Yeah. No one yet has quite managed to replace the ever-brimming font of crusty wisdom that was TLB.

I'll let him know tomorrow.

Perhaps before we get stupid drunk.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »

I miss TLB

Why before? heh Drunken TLB posts would definitely be fitting for the 10 year anniversary

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Zonugal wrote: »

I miss TLB

Why before? heh Drunken TLB posts would definitely be fitting for the 10 year anniversary

Somehow I feel TLB won't be posting during our SE++ pub crawl.

He'll be too busy judging and criticizing everything I do & say.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg