As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Qumaden's Paragon of the Pinny Pal Community Award(PAX East 15 Version)

QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest MortalRegistered User regular
So, I've been on board with both PAX and Pinny Arcade since Prime 13, and have been to each US based PAX ever since. Sadly, I didn't really get into the community until Prime 14 when I actually met people and started to get to know them. Since then it just gets better and better.

I'm a bit vocal on my stance about what this community should be "about", and how we should conduct ourselves, and for the most part with only slight variances, people seem to agree with me on major issues(Wheaton's Law, Be Excellent to Each Other, etc etc). There are of course, outliers in the community that don't really share this moral compass, but more importantly, there are those whose actions and deeds completely embody the spirit of what I feel our little dysfunctional family is all about here. Something I want to start doing is recognizing those people publicly so that not just those of us who attended the recent PAX know, but that the community knows how awesome these individuals are.

My Nominee for PAX East 15 Paragon of the Community is @Picmin (known to many as " @maywest 's son)". As many of you know, the Overwatch booth was a rough one. If you could get in, the wait varied anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hour wait times, and as per usual for Blizzard lines, it was capped from expo hall open until close. Everyone who got in line and played the game got the regular Overwatch pin, but only those who got the "play of the game" in each of the two rounds you played in your 6v6 games was awarded the coveted Gold Overwatch pin. I've always been horrendous at shooters, so I accepted that I would have to trade for this pin(which I did thanks to some super cool guys @Juicesir and @SerpicoBC ). Some people made trades for the pin, some people camped the exit and bought pins from people, other got lucky and just had the pin given to them, or had the skills to pay the bills and won it the hard way. Late Saturday and all of Sunday, as is par for the course, all the ebay talk began about perceived monetary value so people became much less likely to trade them for pins; in many cases, people just wanted to keep it as a souvenier of their achievement, which is the exact purpose of the pin and I fully support. As a 100% completion collector however, it got me pretty upset. Now that I've given you some backstory and hopefully painted the scene, lets move on to the topic.

@Picmin is a fan of the genre and the game specifically, and is apparently quite good at it. As such, he was able to, on demand, go through the line like everyone else, and in many cases, walk away with two Gold pins for himself. Did he keep all of these coveted pins? Did he list them on ebay? Did he make ridiculous trade requests, or even ask for a single pin trade from most people? Ladies and Gentlemen, he did not, he simply handed them out to pin pals that he knew didn't have them yet. I don't know the total count, but it was several. When I asked him about it, he simply said he liked to play the game and he liked helping out pin pals and immediately asked me if I needed one(I had already obtained mine and figured his talents would be better served to help others that still needed one).

Those types of acts of selflessness and kindness are what make this community so great. Sure, he got to play the game which he wanted to play anyway, but to just hand away so many coveted pins that he could have easily sold or traded for a huge profit for his own personal investment to me is the pinnacle of kindness within our community that should be applauded and emulated. Great job dude, and thank you for helping out so many people.

tl;dr The Gold overwatch pin was a pain in the ass and this guy helped a lot of people, mad props yo.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I think I hugged him for giving me a gold Overwatch pin at least 3 times on Sunday, giving Picmin mad props isn't good enough, he did so much for me and others that I am pinternally grateful.

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    the pinnacle of kindness within our community

I see what you did there.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I got to spend quite a bit of time with Picmin and Maywest in lines all weekend, and when I heard about what he did with the gold Overwatch pins, I was thankful but not really surprised. They are great people and this is a great community that takes care of one another. It's the reason I got into pin collecting .. you bastards did this to me! Anyways, if we are going to make this award a thing, I will second the nomination for Picmin!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    maywestmaywest Registered User regular
    @Qumaden thank you for the kind words about @Picmin. I am very proud of him.

He is currently feeling guilty because what he did after the Dev's gave him a gold pin when he played with them at the end of PAX. Shortly after that game, we got together with pin pals for dinner, and he immediately gave the pin to one of the last in the group that did not get the gold pin. He didn't trade, but gave it away. He did this without thinking. When he did stop to think, he realized that he really wanted one for his collection, and one for his "brag lanyard" (something he doesn't have yet). He didn't know what to do, but told me of his problem. I talked to the pin pal, and the pin pal graciously returned the pin. However, the kid is now feeling guilty for giving it away, and than asking for it back.

• Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Well tell him if he ever makes a PP account, he's entitled to some angel wings :P I hear they get you in to an exclusive club where DLCs are traded as if they were AoE pins.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You mean castle guy? Sweet.

• Options
    hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    maywest wrote: »
    @Qumaden thank you for the kind words about @Picmin. I am very proud of him.

He is currently feeling guilty because what he did after the Dev's gave him a gold pin when he played with them at the end of PAX. Shortly after that game, we got together with pin pals for dinner, and he immediately gave the pin to one of the last in the group that did not get the gold pin. He didn't trade, but gave it away. He did this without thinking. When he did stop to think, he realized that he really wanted one for his collection, and one for his "brag lanyard" (something he doesn't have yet). He didn't know what to do, but told me of his problem. I talked to the pin pal, and the pin pal graciously returned the pin. However, the kid is now feeling guilty for giving it away, and than asking for it back.

Hey! I am that pinpal, and @Picmin has nothing to feel guilty about. I appreciate the generous spirit in which it was offered, and I have nothing but good things to say about you both. I really enjoyed seeing everyone, and hope to see everyone again at Prime. I value the friendship of all of you more than the pins. People like @Picmin and you make me proud to be a part of this community.

hadiwist on
  • Options
    PicminPicmin Registered User regular
    Thank you all this really means a lot :) this is an awesome community and just want to keep it that way :)

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Welcome aboard!

vIDzyXat.png