As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Thread: Fixed last bug in 5 month thread

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I spent over an hour trying to figure out a while loop for finding factorials. I was way overthinking the problem by adding 2-3 unnecessary variables. Found the answer in the forum and wanted to kick myself.

I'm not that dumb am I? :)

This is the only way that makes it so you can feel like a fucking boss when you just nail a problem.

Outsiders don't understand why we get so excited about elegance.

It is because a lot of the time we are just slogging through problems.

New thread means new opportunity to post these.
    http://threepanelsoul.com/2013/04/15/on-infinite-loops/
    http://threepanelsoul.com/2013/12/16/on-perl/

Thank you for this. I am one of today's 10,000.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I spent over an hour trying to figure out a while loop for finding factorials. I was way overthinking the problem by adding 2-3 unnecessary variables. Found the answer in the forum and wanted to kick myself.

This is the only way that makes it so you can feel like a fucking boss when you just nail a problem.

Outsiders don't understand why we get so excited about elegance.

It is because a lot of the time we are just slogging through problems.

New thread means new opportunity to post these.
    http://threepanelsoul.com/2013/04/15/on-infinite-loops/
    http://threepanelsoul.com/2013/12/16/on-perl/

The code I write daily is basically like this:
    #!/usr/bin/env perl
    use strict;

use constant TOFYSTEDETH_IS_RIGHT = 1;

# <snip>

while (TOFYSTEDETH_IS_RIGHT) {
        crimsoncoyote::Write_Code (
            Code => $Input,
            Output => \my $Output,
            Read_Write => WRITE_ONCE_READ_NEVER
        );
    }

alt:
    FNM_030110-Centerfold-001_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni18col.jpeg

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Maybe some day I'll go to one of those trophy making places and get a cup that says Hell Yeah on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Have a technical interview at the big A this afternoon, I don't really have a reason to be looking but I figure it can't hurt to try. Already did a phone screen last week for a different group there, so I guess they're on a hiring spree if anyone else is looking.

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Hahaha

Speaking of employment issues

Feels sorta odd to see your current job description up on a job site.

I've told my manager that I'm looking for another job, and am hoping to do proper hand-off, rather than the standard mad-rush of "YOU HAVE 2 DAYS TO GET INFORMATION OUT OF THE GUY WHO IS LEAVING", so to start looking for my replacement now.

Apparently, doing this without a new job offer is considered a "bold move".

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah.

They have no incentive to just not straight out fire you once they hire the replacement.

This is why people typically have a job in hand before they put in notice. It's not uncommon for them to just kick you out the door as soon as they are told.

Also good luck finding a new job!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hahaha

I've told my manager that I'm looking for another job, and am hoping to do proper hand-off, rather than the standard mad-rush of "YOU HAVE 2 DAYS TO GET INFORMATION OUT OF THE GUY WHO IS LEAVING", so to start looking for my replacement now.

I once had a recruiter send me a job posting that was my own job.

It was because my company was hiring another one of me, but it will still pretty funny.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah.

They have no incentive to just not straight out fire you once they hire the replacement.

This is why people typically have a job in hand before they put in notice. It's not uncommon for them to just kick you out the door as soon as they are told.

Thanks man!

But honestly, in this country, if they fired me like that, I can then take them to court under unjustified dismissal.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Hahaha

A bold move for an italic man. er, a bold man.

• Options
    Yeah.

Thanks man!

But honestly, in this country, if they fired me like that, I can then take them to court under unjustified dismissal.

Neat.

NZ seems pretty great.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    @Infidel

Hey do you have any tools that are handy to convert hl7 v2.5.1 to an html document for easy viewing?

• Options
    Neat.

NZ seems pretty great.

It has its good points, and bad points. =)

Ah, here we go - can my employer fire me:
    (if) it is beyond 90 days since you started your employment, your employer must have a good reason for dismissing you, and carry out your dismissal in a fair and reasonable manner.

Besides, I'm on pretty good terms with my manager. He's pretty happy that he's been given the opportunity to hire someone because with our product schedule, it'll be much better to have a proper handover rather than everything dropping to a screeching halt for a month as the new guy relearns everything.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Unlike at Shit, Co. where if you put in your two weeks you were basically fired overnight. They'd have you stay late (around 7pm) and pack your things and then the next day you'd be gone without any goodbyes.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Unlike at Shit, Co. where if you put in your two weeks you were basically fired overnight. They'd have you stay late (around 7pm) and pack your things and then the next day you'd be gone without any goodbyes.

If it was me I'd have packed up my things ahead of time and then just left at my normal time.

If you're working crunch every week, then switch back to your 40 hour clock out mark.

What are they going to do, fire me harder?

• Options
    Yeah I ended up putting in my two weeks there while I was in the middle of setting up their AD and accounts and servers and stuff. So I had the 'honor' of staying the full two weeks. I used that time to basically take each of the teams out to lunch and then tell them that I was out of there.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Ah we used to do that at the big dumb bank. The standard procedure was to immediately walk you out the door and pay out your two weeks and vacation if you got a job with a possible competitor. So if someone cleaned up all their personal effects you knew they were turning in their notice.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Hey do you have any tools that are handy to convert hl7 v2.5.1 to an html document for easy viewing?

Newp.

I do it operator Matrix style. I don't even see the code anymore, just blonde, brunette...

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Have a technical interview at the big A this afternoon, I don't really have a reason to be looking but I figure it can't hurt to try. Already did a phone screen last week for a different group there, so I guess they're on a hiring spree if anyone else is looking.

Well I don't know if it went great but they sent me a take home question so I guess it wasn't terrible! And I even have an idea on how to solve it, so I actually feel like I know what I'm doing!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Newp.

I do it operator Matrix style. I don't even see the code anymore, just blonde, brunette...

Ooh that ones got some great pipes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Hahaha

Bold move is, perhaps, a charitable way of putting it. :P

I've generally found that telling your boss you're leaving too far in advance is a good way to make their lives harder, because they don't know if you're going to be gone in two weeks or two months and have to plan for both situations.

I personally think that two weeks after getting the offer is a pretty good compromise. Then again, I could definitely see many ways the particulars of your situation are different than here.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Now do it without variables.

Also, does it handle 0!?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Newp.

God damn. Apparently for meaningful use they want a nice pretty html page that can be viewed.

This is so dumb, who gives a shit?

Apparently there's an XML markup for v2 HL7s, maybe I can XLST that shit.

• Options
    Okay, what the hell does pretty debugs have to do with meaningful use???

Meaningful use as in "impacts health outcomes." :rotate:

Are you supposed to show the patient system interface messages and they get better knowing that their information is in good hands?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Okay, what the hell does pretty debugs have to do with meaningful use???

Meaningful use as in "impacts health outcomes." :rotate:

Are you supposed to show the patient system interface messages and they get better knowing that their information is in good hands?

They want to see all the little details that the hl7 brings over. Specimen, lab, order, results, patient, other headers. But even after it's in your EHR, they want to be able to view the HL7 that generated the data in a fancy HTML/PDF document.

It's fucking nuts.

The only thing worth of value is the lab results to us.

Oh yeah the 'test' suite they give you for validation that your stuff works had a final, correct, and rejected.

The final and corrected are 100% identical. Diff don't lie. How am I supposed to correct something that wasn't wrong in the first place?

This whole meaningful use nonsense is a joke.

bowen on
  • Options
    As if a doctor is ever going to load up the HL7 details and look at the generated report.

• Options
    Ohhhhh, is this more or less "you gotta address meaningful use, and totally indirect to that, we need X so that our validators can validate you"?

Fun.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Haven't you quit yet? :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Haven't you quit yet? :rotate:

Yeah I'm going to start the job hunt once certification is complete.

Also it doesn't look like there's any real home baked solutions for this hl7 thing (nice friendly displays)

Which is odd because hl7 has been out pretty much since the late 80s early 90s.

Why did no one think to build this kind of thing before, that's odd. Must be because it's so god damned stupid.

• Options
    On the plus side, finishing and passing certification as a solo programmer looks damn good.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

they also have a t-shirt based on the first one:
    3ps-programming.jpg

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Why did no one think to build this kind of thing before, that's odd. Must be because it's so god damned stupid.

Sounds like you should make one and make bank :hydra:

• Options
    I'm thinking about it. I'm torn between XML with XLST or just straight up writing it myself and parsing it line by line.

• Options
    Man I love in-line if statements.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Man I love in-line if statements.

Ternaries!

Otherwise, knifey time?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah I knew it had a fancy name.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    if(not complex) { do something } (else) { I stab you }

• Options
    for(int i = 0; i < 1; isTrue ? cout << "True!" << endl : cout << "False!" << endl, ++i);

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I do like to draw the line at more than 3 levels of nesting for ternary operators:

So we avoid shit like the following:
    int calcResult = getTvBound();
    string result = calcResult  % 2 == 0 ? "BadUprc" : calcResult  % 3 == 0 ? "BadOPrc" : calcResult  % 5 == 0 ? "ConvgFail" : calcResult  % 7 == 0 ? "TreeBound" : calcResult % 11 == 0 ? "DivConvg" : "None";

• Options
    Why not just use a switch at that point jesus

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Or a dictionary or something.

This discussion has been closed.