As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Whole Kit and Ka-Doodle

• StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Americans trying to make anime is even worse.

Imitation of foriegn art styles has been a tradition throughout all of art history, ain't nothin' wrong with it.

Mary Cassatt was an American, but there was nothing with her being influenced by Japanese prints.

StudioZEL on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Aren't you sick of this fucking arguement yet, Zel?

Its the same god damned thing just rephrased EVERY SINGLE time you post.

Shit.

Sublimus on
    edited October 2006
    I'm just trying to prevent over-generalizations that lead to unnecessary hatreds. That's all.

StudioZEL on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Im sure Mary Cassatt didnt try to copy the style completely. If you wanted to write a great adventure novel you wouldnt take passages directly from the bible would you? There is a HUGE difference between being influenced by something and straight copying it.

Anime is way too overused and generally it is very bad. Some people are able to make it their own style, or like todk said, "take elements from it that you like" but most people, like Zel try to copy it, making it completely noncreative and rather shitty.

I'm sure the first person to draw in the anime style was a true pioneer and a great guy, but...i kinda hate him.

DeeLock on
    edited October 2006
    I won't deny that I do 'copy' the anime style very much, but my original point was that "Americans trying to make anime is even worse" is an over-generalization that implies that if Americans draw it it's bad, and if Japanese draw it, it's good. Lexxy is proof that this is contradictory. I just feel it should be specified to "Bad artists like Zel trying to make anime is even worse", this is a more specific statement that I believe holds more true.

StudioZEL on
  • FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just got my first very own Wacom tablet and wanted to try it out

bboss.jpg

Frostozuna on
    edited October 2006
    Very nice Frostozuna, I love the linework on his face! ^^

StudioZEL on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It looks like that was your working canvas size, though, Frosto. Try drawing on a canvas about 400% that size and then shrinking it down to that size when it's done. You'll get much cleaner (less see-through) lineart.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Anime from Americans is like stealing what we already owned. Anime's current style was derived from early Disney movies. Why would you want to copy something that was copied? Why not imitate the source?

I think a really good thing for anyone who wants to draw anime is to first study disney character designs and try to replicate THEM first. If you can't draw a perfect mickey mouse with 40 lines, how can you hope to capture all of the intricacies of the modern anime characters? It's like weight training - you don't set the peg to 400 lbs and say "Oh I'll get up there eventually if I keep plugging away at it." You need a foundation first.

As a general comment, there's an excellent chance that if you're American and you're attempting to draw Anime style, it will look bad. There are good american anime artists, but they are the EXCEPTION, not the norm. Most art colleges will ignore anime drawings in your portfolio. It's simply not a high form of art. Not because it's any less fun to watch, but because it doesn't require near the amount of skill that you need to survive in the art world.

Also: Frostzuna -

I feel like for how well the face was drawn, you ought to have put a little more time into the neck musculature :( Pay attention to the shape of the muscles; you've made them concave where they ought to be overlapping convex shapes.

Rye on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    StudioZEL wrote:
    Feel free to hate me, I'm a bad artist, no questions there.

But don't hate the style for my failures.

At your insistance, I will do exactly what you just said down the the letter, since that is exactly what I have always done.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited October 2006
    headtoobig.jpg

StudioZEL on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zel, why the hell do you keep putting yourself down in every message you post? Do you think that if you treat yourself and your artwork like crap long enough the forumers here are going to throw you the sympathy card and start cheering you up? It's just really annoying to have to scroll down the doodle thread with the same generic response driveling in emo.

Your artwork is fine when you break outside the anime norm, but it's just annoying to have to read the same god-damn thing again and again and again.

Godfather on
    edited October 2006
    Godfather: I apologize, you're right. I got into a habit of downplaying my work as a way of not letting myself get comfortable with my work, thus motivating me to improve (being my own worse critic), but you're right it needs to stop.

StudioZEL on
    edited October 2006
    Don't demotivate yourself, just strive to get better. This is a great community where you can get unadulterated critisism, use it to better your work.

P.S. Yep, head is too big, and the arms are totally wonkey, make the forearms longer and more uniform to eachother. The one on the left is mucho grande de the one on the right, but I didn't have to tell you that.

Always draw the head first then work down the body, make sure the whole figure is 7-8 heads tall and make the arms reach about mid thigh. Look up some stuff on proportion and anatomy.

How bout them internets, eh?

DeeLock on
  • drakkoniadrakkonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Frostozuna, is that Big Boss? <3<3<3 I like it!

ZEL, stop putting yourself down. You're not a bad artist, it's just that your comics aren't really as good as your illustrations. So take what you're good at and embrace it!

BIG BOSS!

drakkonia on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    drakkonia wrote:
    Frostozuna, is that Big Boss? <3<3<3 I like it!

ZEL, stop putting yourself down. You're not a bad artist, it's just that your comics aren't really as good as your illustrations. So take what you're good at and embrace it!

BIG BOSS!
    work on your shading :argh:

i'm watching you

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Need to get back to life studies...too much bullshit in zeh doodles in recent days. \/

doodles10-24-2006.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • AmonAmon Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    Just some Photoshop fun before bed, nuthin' special. In honor of the upcoming Halloween.

salemwip.png

Never forget. Never forget.

Amon on
  • M2tMM2tM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    raptorsmiles.jpg

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
  • The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    God, are those furry scalys? You freak.

Frostozuna: What Toji said was right about smoothing out your lines, so don't disregard the advice. But I personally like that more rough look, especially for MGS artwork.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
    edited October 2006
    Thar be feathered Raptor type creatures...

It's possible some dinosaurs had feathers or were entirely feathered even. There's very little difference between feathers and scales.

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
  • The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh, they're feathers.

You sick freak. :P

The shoulder/delt confuses me on the right one. If you put your hand over his head, his deltoid looks like his pec and his shoulder muscle looks distinctly humanoid.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
    edited October 2006
    Meant to be more forward facing than it appears...

Their shoulders can accomidate a wide range of motion, like humans, only they can also roll forwards at a more severe angle comfortably to be used for running. Their chest muscles are also accomidated for this. That said, I believe I botched the shoulder a bit anyway, it could be better.

But they are partially anthro. They're along the same vein as http://www.mutedvision.net/art/dervdragonsword.jpg only a different race I suppose. Not quite though, they'd have larger more raptor-ish claws...

M2tM on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Flash movie of a maya animation done for my work. The images are the various marketing material I and others have produced. I've hosted it on my site. It's about 800kb so not safe for 56kers. Here's a preview!

graphicsthumb.jpg

waddaya think?

Lly on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Tournament stuff:
    schooldoodles2.jpg

Stuff for a story about dragonslayers:
    schooldoodles3.jpg

Giant robot stuff:
    schooldoodles4.jpg

Dragon with bad limbs:
    schooldoodles5.jpg

Random stuff plus an environment from my dream and a guy or whatever:
    schooldoodles6.jpg

Spectre-x on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    spidermanbi4.jpg

This is the first doodle I've posted here in over a year.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    awesome Brodo

I almost went to UCSC, but I went to Santa Clara University instead >_>

XAL on
    edited October 2006
    Oh em gee i love spec.

DeeLock on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    StudioZEL wrote:
    I won't deny that I do 'copy' the anime style very much, but my original point was that "Americans trying to make anime is even worse" is an over-generalization that implies that if Americans draw it it's bad, and if Japanese draw it, it's good. Lexxy is proof that this is contradictory. I just feel it should be specified to "Bad artists like Zel trying to make anime is even worse", this is a more specific statement that I believe holds more true.

what I meant was, YU GI OH is probably one of the worst anime in existance. I didn't mean that "anybody who is not Japanese cannot draw anime well". I'm just saying that the American cartoon industry tends to fail at creating anything up to the standard that is typically seen in Japanese anime.

I actually wasn't talking about you at all. Yeah, I don't think you're particularly good. Yes, I think Lexxy is amazing. But that wasn't what I was referring to in my comment. Are we done, here?

NightDragon on
  • FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It looks like that was your working canvas size, though, Frosto. Try drawing on a canvas about 400% that size and then shrinking it down to that size when it's done. You'll get much cleaner (less see-through) lineart.
    So do I work on a large canvas (say 3000x3000) but just zoomed out?

Also, I'm still getting used to the pressure-sensitivity feature, so I guess tweaking with those settings would help with the 'see-through' lineart?

Frostozuna on
  • AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Fucking awesome stuff as usual Spex. The environment reminds me of the core from SteamBoy.

Brodie Faggs- that is a bitchin abstraction of the ole wonderous webhead.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Frostozuna wrote:
    So do I work on a large canvas (say 3000x3000) but just zoomed out?

Also, I'm still getting used to the pressure-sensitivity feature, so I guess tweaking with those settings would help with the 'see-through' lineart?

You could work at it either zoomed out or zoomed in, just with a bigger brush. The larger canvas simply gives you more options.

Brush settings will change the line quality, but the standard brush should work just fine for sketching.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ocppotkettlezj2.png

Well, I like it.

u63r on
  • akanekunakanekun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    wip for some gaia commission.

skywip.jpg

akanekun on
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Nice work akanakun.

and for those of us who are excited for what the next month holds....

wii.png

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Awesomesauce. I cannot wait.

earthwormadam on
    edited October 2006
    I know. I'm freaking pumped. I can barely hold my urine inside my body.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Some very quick doodles of concepts for various banners I'm going to make for an upcoming halloween party. A billion points to the person who can name the symbol in the bottom right. I've got some more, but they're even rougher than these, so they're not worth posting.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9226/banners1hp1.jpg

Scops on
    edited October 2006
    Ooh, that symbol. Its the one that's floating above people's heads in those arby's commercials. Right?!!

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What the hell is an arby's?

I'm serious, I've never heard of it.

Scops on
This discussion has been closed.